PDA

View Full Version : SlimServer On DiskStation -- Release 2b1

flipflip
2006-09-23, 17:42
Hallo

I uploaded a new release of SSODS.

http://oinkzwurgl.org/software/ssods/

Now with support for SlimServer 6.5.0.

Until now, there only exists a version for the powerpc variants of the diskststions (101g+, 106*, 406). I'm still working on the arm version.

Have fun.

Regards,
flip

hkfriends
2006-09-23, 21:43
Woow... thanks a lot

btw, why no more share on \\DiskStation\SlimServer

tommypeters
2006-09-23, 23:38
Thanks, I have tried to follow your ddiscussion in German with Mr Hyde... ;) :)

Is this new SSODS also compatible with 6.3.1?
Edit: Found out att SSODS web place that it indeed does. Thought I should maybe not change everything at once...

flipflip
2006-09-24, 06:02
Yeah, the sqlite-stuff is included, so 6.2.x and 6.3.x will work (I tested 6.3.1).

What do you mean by "no more share \\DiskStation\SlimServer"? You can still create (or rather activate) that share via the DS web interface.

I didn't test it, but that should work as before since the SlimServer files are still in /volume1/SlimServer.

If you do not see the directory in the DS admin interface, do a reboot. It looks like the DS checks for the folders in /volume1/ only once on boot.

hkfriends
2006-09-24, 07:26
Yeah, the sqlite-stuff is included, so 6.2.x and 6.3.x will work (I tested 6.3.1).

What do you mean by "no more share \\DiskStation\SlimServer"? You can still create (or rather activate) that share via the DS web interface.

I didn't test it, but that should work as before since the SlimServer files are still in /volume1/SlimServer.

If you do not see the directory in the DS admin interface, do a reboot. It looks like the DS checks for the folders in /volume1/ only once on boot.

Thanks, after re-boot, it works.

bpa
2006-09-28, 07:37
Now that you have mplayer working - mplayer can be used to support m4a (AAC) and AACplus streams as well with a few more entries in the types and convert conf files.

mr_hyde
2006-09-28, 08:57
Now that you have mplayer working - mplayer can be used to support m4a (AAC) and AACplus streams as well with a few more entries in the types and convert conf files.

Hello bpa,

flip has modified the mplayer with respect to stream to stdout. Now it is possible to stream to wav which results only in a 6.5% CPU usage. There is no need for mkfifo. That's great.

I have also tested your generi plugin. It works.

mr_hyde

bpa
2006-09-28, 09:21
I saw the changes to mplayer - it should be noted somewhere in a README that it is a modified mplayer.

mplayer developers have been asked to make mplayer process stdout properly and not use it for messages.

They have been converting mplayer modules to use mpmsg but there may be still some which output messages to stdout.

I did a bit more researching and I now think you could have been able to use the /proc entry - but that is academic now.

flipflip
2006-09-28, 10:59
I saw the changes to mplayer - it should be noted somewhere in a README that it is a modified mplayer.

It is (README.ssods/README.txt). And I renamed the binary to "mplayer-stdout".

They have been converting mplayer modules to use mpmsg but there may be still some which output messages to stdout.

They have and that's where I changed the code (mp_msg.c). Now everything goes to stderr instead of stdout (s/stdout/stderr/g).

And I changed libao2/ao_pcm.c to trap the magic filename "-". That will bypass the fopen() and fclose() calls and assing stdout to the file descriptor.

As the changes are trivial and the result is more an ugly hack than a decent patch, I chose to not report it upstream.

The "patch" is of course available: http://www2.ggl.ethz.ch/flip/ssods/mplayer-patches.tar.gz

flip

bpa
2006-09-28, 11:21
I understand your code changes and they are good.

What I meant by output from modules - output from codecs or demuxers such as debug messages or when invalid datastreams are found. Some modules are careless thinking stdout is available because decoded data normally goes to video and audio card.

It is possible that if you use mplayer for another codec or demux protocol you will get a corrupted datastream. I don't think it is anything to worry about just be aware if you try something new.

parbis
2006-09-29, 16:54
Hallo

I uploaded a new release of SSODS.

http://oinkzwurgl.org/software/ssods/

Now with support for SlimServer 6.5.0.

Until now, there only exists a version for the powerpc variants of the diskststions (101g+, 106*, 406). I'm still working on the arm version.

Have fun.

Regards,
flip

Hi FlipFlip,

When will the arm version be ready. I've a 101j and would really like to install SlimServer 6.5.0 but I guess I've to wait ...

Kind Regards,

parbis

flipflip
2006-09-30, 08:42
Hi FlipFlip,
When will the arm version be ready. I've a 101j and would really like to install SlimServer 6.5.0 but I guess I've to wait ...

Rather soon. The kit is more or less complete, I just didn't test and pack it yet. And I have to start cooking now.. and depending on how the evening passes, I'll have more or less time tomorrow :-)

But I'll try my best (both, this evening and to make the arm package ready). ;)

But don't expect too much. I reckon that the SS 6.5 with the mysqld is way too much for the ds101j. Memory will probably be the limiting factor. SS+mysqld need about 120 MB.. and the 101j has 32 MB.. expect a lot of swapping and possibly rather slow menus and queries.

Regards,
flip

flipflip
2006-09-30, 18:28
Okay, an armv5b release is up on my page and ready to download.

But as said, do not expect too much. It hardly runs on my DS-101 which has 64 MB. I do not know if it is usable with 32 MB.. I guess not.

I hope it works..

Regards,
flip

hkfriends
2006-10-01, 01:51
0002: /volume1/SSODS/bin/perl: error while loading shared libraries /volume1/SSODS/lib/libmysqlclient.so.14: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

anyone has the error msg ? flipflip, please have a look on this issue....
I check that the file is exist in /SSODS/lib

PS: I deinstall the b1 version and install the b2 in my DS-101g+

flipflip
2006-10-01, 04:06
Ups.. sorry, my fault.

Solution:

Delete the line " LD_PRELOAD=${preload} \" in /volume1/SSODS/bin/rc.slimserver or wait until I uploaded the right file.. (in 1 hour or so.. :-).

Sorry,

flip

flipflip
2006-10-01, 05:02
I uploaded the correct file now:

http://oinkzwurgl.org/software/ssods/dl.php?file=ssods-r2b2-ppc.zip

flip

parbis
2006-10-01, 05:49
Okay, an armv5b release is up on my page and ready to download.

But as said, do not expect too much. It hardly runs on my DS-101 which has 64 MB. I do not know if it is usable with 32 MB.. I guess not.

I hope it works..

Regards,
flip

Thanks a lot flip. Because of your warnings about the memory I will properly stick to my current setup anyhow!

SSODS release: r1b4-armv5b.
Hardware: synology_ixp420_junior.
SlimServer version: 6.3.1-8476.
Auto start: enabled.
Database size: 7.1 MB.
SlimServer process: running, PID 1508.
Process state: S (sleeping).
Memory usage: 51488 kb total, 13332 kb resident set size.
SlimServer uptime: 9d 17.27:12
CPU usage: 581:33 total CPU time, 4.1% average CPU load.
System load averages: 1.26 1.09 1.02.

Its working great and I’ve got to think about the WAF.

If I want to move on I will properly have to get myself a CS 406 … I could use the extra space, memory and security. It seems like this NAS server will have the power to play with the new SlimServer version and hopefully also with coming versions in the future.

What do you think … is the CS 406 the best way to go for now (and in the future)?

Edit: Or maybe I should just get a DS 106x and use my DS 101j as backup?

/parbis

hkfriends
2006-10-01, 06:39
I uploaded the correct file now:

http://oinkzwurgl.org/software/ssods/dl.php?file=ssods-r2b2-ppc.zip

flip

THANKS, IT WORKS.

bpa
2006-10-03, 13:28
For the DS-101 (ARM) - where did you get the MySQL with the InnoDB support ?

The only ipkg I can find tell me that it doesn't contain the InnoDB storage engine (mysql_4.1.20-1_armeb.ipk) .

tommypeters
2006-10-03, 13:33
If I understand it correctly; A DS-106 would be maybe too slow with 6.5, (because of MySQL?) but with the swap space on an USB stick (128MB or larger) it would be usable - with the added benefit of sleep mode possibility for the HDD?

flipflip
2006-10-03, 13:55
For the DS-101 (ARM) - where did you get the MySQL with the InnoDB support ?

It's the mysqld that comes with the Diskstation. /volume1/SSODS/bin/mysqld is a link to /usr/syno/mysql/libexec/mysqld.

So is SSODS/lib/libmysqlclient...so a symlink to /usr/syno/mysql/lib/...

Btw, I had to to a rather ugly hack in preloading the libmysqlclient on the arm version since the mysql.so of DBD::mysql is somehow not linked against libmysqlclient (whereof i don't have the headers nor the .a/.la anyway).

:-)

Don't ask me how I built the DBD-mysql perl module. I cannot reproduce it.

Do you have a well working GCC for the DS-101? I used the one from unslung/unstable (crosstool*ipk) but that one
produces strange errors with certain sources (complains while linking that this and that library uses hw-fp wheras this and that other library uses soft-fp). I think only c++ is affected, but i didn't check that thoroughly. And I was unable to do a "canadian-cross" with crosstool-0.42 (it worked well and out-of-the box for the ppc-GCC).

If I had more time, I'd do it better, but for now, this version for arm based DS must suffice.

Regards,
flip

flipflip
2006-10-03, 14:06
If I understand it correctly; A DS-106 would be maybe too slow with 6.5, (because of MySQL?) but with the swap space on an USB stick (128MB or larger) it would be usable - with the added benefit of sleep mode possibility for the HDD?

I don't think that it will be faster with swap on a memory stick. What happens is, that the disk can spin down since the swap space on it will not be used. And the swap space on the memory stick doesn't make any noise :-)

I don't really care about that. My DS is not on 24/7. I have one big switch for all my entertainment electronics, so things are only on when I'm in and using it.

Btw, I just heard on radio: all standby power needed in Switzerland equals 1/4 of a nuclear power plant (we have 3 or 4).

flip

bpa
2006-10-03, 14:09
Actually I have a Freeecom FSG3 but very similar hardware. The unslung native dev tools work most of the time but for some reason I get segmentation errors with the slimserver builds so I did not want to try to build MySql and had hoped there was an ipk somewhere.

However I have now tried the mysqld that came with the FSG3 - slightly older version of Mysqld but it has InnoDB - I didn't check before because it had no mysql.h so I installed the ipkg version which had a mysql.h

Thanks for the pointer.

hkfriends
2006-10-04, 06:15
Hi flipflip,

The nightly build "SlimServer_6.5_v2006-10-04" crash the ssods-r2b2-ppc. It can't start it up....

0001: rc.slimserver Wed Oct 4 21:09:56 CST 2006 start
0002: XML::Simple version 2.15 required--this is only version 2.12 at /volume1/SSODS/lib/perl5/5.8.8/Exporter/Heavy.pm line 121.
0003: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /volume1/SlimServer/slimserver.pl line 102.
0004: rc.slimserver Wed Oct 4 21:10:02 CST 2006 start FAILED!

flipflip
2006-10-05, 14:46
0002: XML::Simple version 2.15 required--this is only version 2.12 at /volume1/SSODS/lib/perl5/5.8.8/Exporter/Heavy.pm line 121.

Ok, try this:

Login to the Diskstation via telnet as user admin and issue the following commands:

(How to enable telnet is described in the README.ssods document.)

cd /volume1/SSODS/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/
mkdir XML
cd XML
/volume1/SSODS/bin/wget http://oinkzwurgl.org/software/ssods/Simple.pm

Regards,
flip

Update: or try the new release r2b4 which includes this module. It'll be online in half an hour or so. :-)

hkfriends
2006-10-05, 20:43
thanks, you're so great!

Ok, try this:

Login to the Diskstation via telnet as user admin and issue the following commands:

mkdir XML
cd XML

Regards,
flip

Update: or try the new release r2b4 which includes this module. It'll be online in half an hour or so. :-)

MatrosDK
2006-10-06, 02:01
I am also struggling with the missing spin down after ugrading to SS 6.5, but your comment about simply turning everything down made me think. I do however have some questions to this, and even though I am aware that we are now out in the grey area when it comes to the relevance to this forum, I hope it is okay.

You say that you have one common switch that turns all entertainment equipment down. My question is: Is that healthy for the DS? Shouldn't I turn the DS down by pressing the button on the DS and thus(I believe) ensure a controlled shutdown? Thereafter I can probably just turn the power of to all the rest (Whatever it may be)

And another question also a bit out in the grey area:

Will it be possible to access for example Squeeze Network if the SS is turned of?

If and when I find a useable solution to this I assure you that my wife will be for ever gratefull to you. She is quite mad at me because of all the small lamps that are illuminated our home when we are asleep or not at home.

Finally: thank you again for the great job you have done with SS and DS.

Best regards

I don't think that it will be faster with swap on a memory stick. What happens is, that the disk can spin down since the swap space on it will not be used. And the swap space on the memory stick doesn't make any noise :-)

I don't really care about that. My DS is not on 24/7. I have one big switch for all my entertainment electronics, so things are only on when I'm in and using it.

Btw, I just heard on radio: all standby power needed in Switzerland equals 1/4 of a nuclear power plant (we have 3 or 4).

flip

flipflip
2006-10-06, 02:58
Hello MatrosDK

I am also struggling with the missing spin down after ugrading to SS 6.5, but your comment about simply turning everything down made me think. I do however have some questions to this, and even though I am aware that we are now out in the grey area when it comes to the relevance to this forum, I hope it is okay.

I reckon that we can discuss about almost everything related to "3rd party hardware" in this forum (hence the name)..

You say that you have one common switch that turns all entertainment equipment down. My question is: Is that healthy for the DS? Shouldn't I turn the DS down by pressing the button on the DS and thus(I believe) ensure a controlled shutdown?
Thereafter I can probably just turn the power of to all the rest (Whatever it may be)

Right. I do actually turn off the DS pressing the button before switching off (detatching from mains) the equipment. It's probably not recommended to switch off the DS by unplugging it. And yes, it's certainly a good idea to shut it down properly. I was thinking about a plugin to SS to allow a clean shutdown via the SB. menu I think there is something like a "run commands on the host" plugin for SS. I just didn't look at it yet.

For me it would be desirable if the SB could wake up the DS by "wake on lan". But I don't know if the SB can do that and if the DS reacts on it. Anoyone knows? Anyone tried this? If that worked we could have the DS shutdown automatically after a certain amount of idle time. I wouldn't mind to wait one or two minutes for the DS/SS to come up.

And another question also a bit out in the grey area:
Will it be possible to access for example Squeeze Network if the SS is turned of?

I think we are still quite on-topic with this.. as long as there is the word "slim" or "squeeze" in the question it's okay ;->

You can use SN without SS, although unforunately the SB does not switch automatically to SN when the SS is not up. But you can press and hold "arrow left" on the remote and then select "Connect to SqueezeNetwork".

If and when I find a useable solution to this I assure you that my wife will be for ever gratefull to you. She is quite mad at me because of all the small lamps that are illuminated our home when we are asleep or not at home.

:-)

The blue LED of the DS really s*cks, it's much too bright. I positioned the DS alongside my hifi rack facing the wall and not the "sweet spot". Now the wall illuminates blue. I am thinking about replacing or at least dimming the LED to a comfortable level.

Finally: thank you again for the great job you have done with SS and DS.

Nice to hear that, you're welcome.

Regards,
flip

hkfriends
2006-10-06, 05:16
flipflip,

same problem in new release of r2b4....
I check that the Simple.pm is already in place, but no luck to start the server up

0001: rc.slimserver Fri Oct 6 20:02:51 CST 2006 start
0003: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /volume1/SlimServer/slimserver.pl line 102.
0004: rc.slimserver Fri Oct 6 20:02:58 CST 2006 start FAILED!

Ok, try this:

mkdir XML
cd XML

Regards,
flip

flipflip
2006-10-06, 06:50
same problem in new release of r2b4....
I check that the Simple.pm is already in place, but no luck to start the server up

Hmm... I don't really understand the error message below..

Because /volume1/SSODS/lib/perl5/5.8.8/Exporter/Heavy.pm is a standard Perl module (if it was an add-on module it would be in /volume1/SSODS/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8 and Perl 5.8.8 is still the most recent stable perl release..

I checked cpan.org for XML::Simple and found a version 2.15 of the same. And as far as I understand it Simple.pl is the only file beeing installed with this module.

And I don't know what Exporter/Heavy.pm is and why it complains about v2.12 of XML::Simple. It also said so when there was no XML::Simple at all.. strange..

Maybe someone understands what's going on here and will tell us.. Could my perl build be broken?

If I try "perl -e "use XML::Simple;" it doesn't complain..

Maybe you can ask somewhere else in the forums.. give them details about the installation, i.e. that it is perl 5.8.8 + this and that add-on modules (see list in README.ssods).

And let me know what I have to change/add :-)

Regards,
flip

hkfriends
2006-10-06, 07:06
if the Simple.pm is correct, then no need to check!

I found a tricky one:

if you go line 102 and remove the "qw(2.15)"

use XML::Simple;

hehe... it will work again.

Hmm... I don't really understand the error message below..

Because /volume1/SSODS/lib/perl5/5.8.8/Exporter/Heavy.pm is a standard Perl module (if it was an add-on module it would be in /volume1/SSODS/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8 and Perl 5.8.8 is still the most recent stable perl release..

I checked cpan.org for XML::Simple and found a version 2.15 of the same. And as far as I understand it Simple.pl is the only file beeing installed with this module.

And I don't know what Exporter/Heavy.pm is and why it complains about v2.12 of XML::Simple. It also said so when there was no XML::Simple at all.. strange..

Maybe someone understands what's going on here and will tell us.. Could my perl build be broken?

If I try "perl -e "use XML::Simple;" it doesn't complain..

Maybe you can ask somewhere else in the forums.. give them details about the installation, i.e. that it is perl 5.8.8 + this and that add-on modules (see list in README.ssods).

And let me know what I have to change/add :-)

Regards,
flip

MatrosDK
2006-10-06, 07:09
Grüss dich flipflip (Or how you guys from the south is greeting eachother :-) )

Hello MatrosDK

For me it would be desirable if the SB could wake up the DS by "wake on lan". But I don't know if the SB can do that and if the DS reacts on it. Anoyone knows? Anyone tried this? If that worked we could have the DS shutdown automatically after a certain amount of idle time. I wouldn't mind to wait one or two minutes for the DS/SS to come up.

I think that what you describe here is a wonderfull vision. I can fully agree with that. Unfortunately is my own abilities to help with such tasks close to zero, so I am afraid I just have to sit and wait for someone more gifted to solve the puzzle. :-)

Best regards
MatrosDK

flipflip
2006-10-06, 07:24
if you go line 102 and remove the "qw(2.15)"

Line #102 of what file?

hkfriends
2006-10-06, 07:30
Line #102 of what file?

I modify the source code of the server Perl program
(of course, need to install your b4 version) cheers!

/volume1/SlimServer/slimserver.pl line 102

flipflip
2006-10-06, 07:56
I see. Then it's not my problem. Good.. :-)

tommypeters
2006-10-06, 11:58
The SB can wake up my normal computer with SlimServer on, so if the DS can just react on it that idea would work.

flipflip
2006-10-06, 13:31
It doesn't seem so.. I tried to wake it up with the squeezebox and also with a wake-on-lan program from the laptop.

:-(

tebones
2006-10-10, 11:32
Hi FlipFlip and mr_Hyde!

And thanks flipflip for this great mod :)

Most of my music is in m4a format :(, but now I understand that your new version is able to stream m4a directly on a DS-106. Is that right?

If so, can you pls post a detalied instruction on how to setup this feature? (I tried to read german but had to give up :-|)

Best regards
Trond E

bpa
2006-10-10, 11:54
This is the relevant thread - it's a dialogue so you'll need to read it through but the relevant info for the custom-convert.conf file is near the end.
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=28437

tommypeters
2006-10-10, 14:45

Well, I think I read somewhere (in the Deutsch Forum?) that Mr_Hyde wrote he expected/experienced the server to be slightly faster with the swap on an USB stick. From what I've read a USB stick ought to be slightly faster than a standard 7200rpm IDE/S-ATA disk - but I don't know if the various sticks are of (significantly) varying speed...?

Anyway, with USB stick or not, is the DS-106 fast enough to run 6.5? Fast enough when used with the remote, but not for web interface with album art? Or passable for both?

Are there any issues with having Slimserver on the DS-106 only as a fallback? When my computer is on I would connect to SlimServer running on it, with the NAS mounted as the music HD. When it's off, SlimServer on DS-106 would be the choice.

Any shortcuts, when using the remote, to switch SlimServer? If it's connected to the server on the PC and it's turned off, it seems like a very Wife-Unfriendly routine to do the switch. Or have I maybe not done it the best way, can it be improved by reconfiguring menus or similar?

labeelen
2006-10-11, 02:48
Hi all,

I've followed the issues arround DS-106, SlimServer 6.5.x and SSODS (HDD not spinning down + as a result fan continiously rotating etc.)

Part of a possible solution, in my opinion, would be if SB would be able to 'wake-up/start' the SSODS & MySQL process.

Can this be done ? (as I am correct it works that way on a Windows PC server too)

regards,

Louis

tommypeters
2006-10-11, 09:22
The SB has the functionality to "wake-on-lan" but there doesn't seem to be any functionality on the DS-106 to be "woken-on-lan".

And since SSODS/SlimServer is an unauthorized "hack" from the Synology viewpoint, the "SlimServer 6.5 won't let the HD spin down" argument is moot. Without SlimServer installed, the HD spins down, so it doesn't matter much that the embedded processor doesn't go to sleep.

But if anyone can come up with a "non-SlimServer-inspired" request to Synology for wakeup-on-lan functionality it would be good if they were petitioned about it.

labeelen
2006-10-12, 06:43
The SB has the functionality to "wake-on-lan" but there doesn't seem to be any functionality on the DS-106 to be "woken-on-lan".

And since SSODS/SlimServer is an unauthorized "hack" from the Synology viewpoint, the "SlimServer 6.5 won't let the HD spin down" argument is moot. Without SlimServer installed, the HD spins down, so it doesn't matter much that the embedded processor doesn't go to sleep.

But if anyone can come up with a "non-SlimServer-inspired" request to Synology for wakeup-on-lan functionality it would be good if they were petitioned about it.

Thanks for your response.
An intermediate solution could be to leave the DS powered on. From it's more-or-less 'passive'-state (with HDD + fan spinned down) a small routine could 'listen' for the WOL packet and start SSODS when this packet is detected.

I know it's not really WOL but the effect would be the same & for someone with a reasonable level of Linux/LAN knowledge (which doesn't include me ;-) this shouldn't be to hard to build ...

flipflip
2006-10-12, 07:54
Thanks for your response.
An intermediate solution could be to leave the DS powered on. From it's more-or-less 'passive'-state (with HDD + fan spinned down) a small routine could 'listen' for the WOL packet and start SSODS when this packet is detected.

I was thinking in the same direction. I reckon that this would be possible. We'd have to write a small daemon listening on eth0 for the WOL packet and reactivate SlimServer when it detects one.

I think it's not necessary to shutdown and restart SlimServer every time (starting takes time, 10-30 seconds or so). I think you we could do a "kill -SIGSTOP `pidof slimserver`" and to start a "kill -SIGCONT `pidof slimserver`". Stopping the process (not terminating!) should prevent the process from swapping in and out as well.

flip

tommypeters
2006-10-13, 01:03
Interesting would be if someone could design a DIY project in a small box. A stick DRAM, a memory controller-on-a-chip, support electronics, powered by a standard external PS. Connected by USB...

serftemeijer
2006-10-13, 05:18
We can all complain that Synology won't listen to us about the WOL issue but that doesn't help.
Therefore I posted the following to Synology support:

"It would be very handy to have WOL (wake on LAN) functionality in the DS106(e) instead of just standby (HD spinned down). If that is possible it would then naturally be handy to be able to shut the DS off after xx idle minutes.

Because I use the DS at home for max 3 hours a day it's a waste of energy: 21hr x 15W x 365days = 115kWh /year. In the Netherlands that's almost EURO 35 each year !
The Netherlands signed the Kyoto agreement ...

Best regards,"

To be continued ...

Stef

tommypeters
2006-10-13, 05:22
Thanks, as I wrote we needed a non-SlimServer argument :)

I will make a similar post to them. Electricity was very cheap here in Sweden a few years ago, not anymore.

flipflip
2006-10-13, 06:19
I wonder if it is possible to add WOL to the DS at all.

I tested with a WOL capable computer at work where it worked beautifully. The SB can switch on the PC (not only resume from standby or hibernate!).

Although there are some differences between the PC and the DS:

- The network interface in the PC is always on. The green link indicator LED is lit even when the PC is off. That's not the case with the DS.

- Parts of the PC (mainboard, network interface, keyboard) are always on to watch for a "power on" event. For this PC that can be WOL, the power button on the keyboard (CTRL-ESC) or the power button (not switch!) on the PC.

- I don't know how that is done in the DS but I assume that it cannot be compared to a PC.

So I don't know if Syno could enable such a feature and if the design of the DS allow it. The network chip itself on the DS could do a WOL (i have the dstasheet somewhere) but enabling that feature probably needs support from the rest of the equipment (i.e. powering the network interface while the rest is off).

Just a few thoughts..

Regards,
flip

tommypeters
2006-10-13, 06:37
Well, maybe then not a wake-up from powered off - but maybe the DiskStations can have something similar to standby/suspend/hibernate where it's using less power than when "totally on" but anyway can be waked up...

Maybe back to the drawing board with the swap-on-usb? First, I wonder how long a flash usb stick really would last? Especially if it could mark bad blocks and one would use a 128MB swap on a 1GB stick (which now is pretty cheap)?

Or, the idea I had about finding/building something (in a small box) using static ram or sdram, connected by usb, probably with a small external PS...?

flipflip
2006-10-13, 07:39
Well, maybe then not a wake-up from powered off - but maybe the DiskStations can have something similar to standby/suspend/hibernate where it's using less power than when "totally on" but anyway can be waked up...

That could be HDD and fan off with a routine listening to WOL and activation SS on receiving a WOL packet. That's certainly possible.

Everything else (external WOL solution, ext. static RAM) is certainly possible as well but in my opinion either too complicated and/or too expensive.

I'll think about a routine to listen to WOL when I find the time... If anybody has some code, let me know. Hm.. I'll trey this new google codesearch feature.

flip

bpa
2006-10-13, 07:43
Alternatively - use a plugin to shutdown slimserver and start up a "watcher" app which looks on port 3483 (slimserver's port) for the Power on - IR code from the Squeezebox.
When the "watcher" sees the power on code - start slimserver again.

flipflip
2006-10-13, 08:03
Hmm.. interesting idea, thanks. But I think starting slimserver takes too much time. I would stop the process and continue it on receiving a WOL or maybe the IR code. I'm not sure if it is possible to have to programs listening on the same port. Maybe an iptables rule (I think the new firmware release will come with iptables support) could duplicate the packet and send the copy to another port.

We could also use the power button code to stop the server.

On the other hand, having the SB saying "waking up slimserver" (with WOL) would be nice.

bpa
2006-10-13, 08:15
I think looking for the WOL packet may be difficult as I think it is a MAC packet not TCP or UDP and there are a lot of Linux processes already looking at the ethernet interface at the MAC level.