PDA

View Full Version : docs for LAME/remote streaming bandwidth adjustment?



Steve Pawsey-Bowerman
2003-12-06, 17:41
Peter,

I thought you're running OS X, if so, you may want to look into virtual host
IP's that *nix offers. I've set them up before on Solaris. It's a bit fiddly
and requires apache to run IP based virtual hosts instead. Sounds like this
may be the only option.

That way you'd create an apache virtual host (IP based) and proxy the
requests to the slimserver.

Hence

Local streaming http://127.0.0.1:9000/stream.mp3
Remote streaming http://127.0.0.2/stream.mp3

Thus having an apache virtual host proxying all port 80 requests on
127.0.0.2 to 127.0.0.1:9000

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
[mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com]On Behalf Of Peter Bowyer
Sent: 06 December 2003 22:56
To: 'SlimDevices Discussion'
Subject: [slim] docs for LAME/remote streaming bandwidth adjustment?


One issue with this is that since all proxied connections arrive (in my
case) from 127.0.0.1, the server isn't able to distinguish between them.
It's like running 2 winamps on the same PC.

I think I still need the built-in support!

Peter

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Pawsey-Bowerman" <steve.pawsey-bowerman (AT) virgin (DOT) net>
To: "'SlimDevices Discussion'" <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2003 10:41 PM
Subject: [slim] docs for LAME/remote streaming bandwidth adjustment?


> Absolutely, could just use a single box (make sure you block port 9000
> traffic incoming from the net - I just have a DSL modem/router and use
port
> redirection, hence 80 goes to the apache server). Oh, and I just "happen"
to
> have a spare Sun server kicking around!! LOL!
>
> Obvious one, but make sure you password protect access either at apache
> level (.htacces etc) or with the slimp3server username/password options!
>
> Certainly another 100% thumbs up for the SlimDevices guys, now I can
totally
> rule our work stereo with my huge music collection!!!
>
> Steve
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
> [mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com]On Behalf Of Peter Bowyer
> Sent: 04 December 2003 22:31
> To: SlimDevices Discussion
> Subject: [slim] docs for LAME/remote streaming bandwidth adjustment?
>
>
> Steve Pawsey-Bowerman wrote:
>
> > I've managed to do this successfully by running apache and using
> > mod_proxy.
>
> Sweet... thanks.. nice idea. Can all be on the same box, I guess, apache
> proxying to port 9000 on localhost..... and 127.0.0.1 in the convert.conf.
>
> Peter
>
>

Peter Bowyer
2003-12-07, 01:02
I'm running Linux - that is still do-able - but I don't see how it solves
the problem.

The issue is that wherever the remote stream connection comes from, the
slimserver sees it from 127.0.0.1. If 2 remote players connect, they both
orginate from 127.0.0.1 - how does the slimserver tell them apart?

Peter

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Pawsey-Bowerman" <steve.pawsey-bowerman (AT) virgin (DOT) net>
To: "'SlimDevices Discussion'" <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
Sent: Sunday, December 07, 2003 12:41 AM
Subject: [slim] docs for LAME/remote streaming bandwidth adjustment?


> Peter,
>
> I thought you're running OS X, if so, you may want to look into virtual
host
> IP's that *nix offers. I've set them up before on Solaris. It's a bit
fiddly
> and requires apache to run IP based virtual hosts instead. Sounds like
this
> may be the only option.
>
> That way you'd create an apache virtual host (IP based) and proxy the
> requests to the slimserver.
>
> Hence
>
> Local streaming http://127.0.0.1:9000/stream.mp3
> Remote streaming http://127.0.0.2/stream.mp3
>
> Thus having an apache virtual host proxying all port 80 requests on
> 127.0.0.2 to 127.0.0.1:9000
>
> Steve
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
> [mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com]On Behalf Of Peter Bowyer
> Sent: 06 December 2003 22:56
> To: 'SlimDevices Discussion'
> Subject: [slim] docs for LAME/remote streaming bandwidth adjustment?
>
>
> One issue with this is that since all proxied connections arrive (in my
> case) from 127.0.0.1, the server isn't able to distinguish between them.
> It's like running 2 winamps on the same PC.
>
> I think I still need the built-in support!
>
> Peter
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Steve Pawsey-Bowerman" <steve.pawsey-bowerman (AT) virgin (DOT) net>
> To: "'SlimDevices Discussion'" <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
> Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2003 10:41 PM
> Subject: [slim] docs for LAME/remote streaming bandwidth adjustment?
>
>
> > Absolutely, could just use a single box (make sure you block port 9000
> > traffic incoming from the net - I just have a DSL modem/router and use
> port
> > redirection, hence 80 goes to the apache server). Oh, and I just
"happen"
> to
> > have a spare Sun server kicking around!! LOL!
> >
> > Obvious one, but make sure you password protect access either at apache
> > level (.htacces etc) or with the slimp3server username/password options!
> >
> > Certainly another 100% thumbs up for the SlimDevices guys, now I can
> totally
> > rule our work stereo with my huge music collection!!!
> >
> > Steve
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
> > [mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com]On Behalf Of Peter Bowyer
> > Sent: 04 December 2003 22:31
> > To: SlimDevices Discussion
> > Subject: [slim] docs for LAME/remote streaming bandwidth adjustment?
> >
> >
> > Steve Pawsey-Bowerman wrote:
> >
> > > I've managed to do this successfully by running apache and using
> > > mod_proxy.
> >
> > Sweet... thanks.. nice idea. Can all be on the same box, I guess, apache
> > proxying to port 9000 on localhost..... and 127.0.0.1 in the
convert.conf.
> >
> > Peter
> >
> >