PDA

View Full Version : Duplicate Albums

Johnathan Hershbaum
2006-09-22, 13:13
Hi WSLam
I did a uninstall and a new installation.

All the albums with 2 directories show up as duplicates in the browse
by albums

For example

Ultimate Collection by Kinks
Ultimate Collection by Kinks

but the directory structure on the server is

Kinks - Ultimate Collection (Kinks)

with

Disc 1
Disc 2

The previous version did not seem to have this problem for me.

The new version is really much faster

Thanks for the reply

Did you try to mess with Compilations settings under Server Settings\Behavior?

--
Best regards,
Johnathan mailto:johnathan (AT) baps (DOT) com

chris.mason
2006-09-23, 13:38
I'm seeing this behaviour as well.
I've just upgraded to 6.5.0 from 6.3.1 on Windows XP (sp2).

I have a number of compilation albums spread across two or more disks. On the hard drive, they are structured thus:

d:\music\flac\The Greatest Songs (Disk 1)
d:\music\flac\The Greatest Songs (Disl 2)

and each track is tagged thus:
ALBUM = The Greatest Songs

Under 6.3.1 I wanted these multi-disk albums to appear as one big album, (but still have the albums as their seperate CDs on the hard disk) so I made sure the tracks were numbered contiguously, such that track one on disk 2 would actually be numbered as the last track number from disk 1, plus one. This all worked correctly under 6.3.1. Now with 6.5.0, I get an album entry for each disk, regardless of how I set behaviour.

This is a completely fresh install, and I've tried rescanning from scratch several times. My guess is that 6.5.0 introduces support for some further ID3 tags concerning compilation albums. Can anybody say what these tags are, or if this is indeed the case?

Many thanks,
Chris.

Siduhe
2006-09-23, 15:04
Try setting COMPILATION=1 ?

That is the tag (which a number of people appear to have needed from around 6.3.1 I think) which seems to sort most people out.

HTH

smc2911
2006-09-23, 16:11
Only use the compilation=1 tag for various artists. For multi-disc albums, add a tag to each track DISCC=1 and DISCNUMBER=1 or 2 as appropriate. Note that these tags certainly work for flac and ogg. For mp3 you are probably better off using DISC instead of DISCNUMBER. I'd been using the 6.5 beta for a while prior to release and this works well. I think earlier versions did more guessing, while 6.5 needs to be told!

Johnathan Hershbaum
2006-09-24, 00:23
Hello HTH

Where do I find the COMPILATION=1

tag....

I am not seeing it in my tagger program

Thanks

Johnathan

Hello Siduhe,

Sunday, September 24, 2006, 12:04:46 AM, you wrote:

> Try setting COMPILATION=1 ?

> That is the tag (introduced around 6.3.1 I think) which seems to sort
> most people out.

> HTH

--
Best regards,
Johnathan mailto:johnathan (AT) baps (DOT) com

Siduhe
2006-09-24, 00:31
Hi Jonathan,

Which tagging program are you using ? You may need something like Foobar2000 or mp3tag.

Have you also seen smc's post about adding the DISCC / DISCNUMBER tag for those that aren't by various artists bu where you have multiple discs ?

"add a tag to each track DISCC=1 and DISCNUMBER=1 or 2 as appropriate. Note that these tags certainly work for flac and ogg."

smc2911
2006-09-24, 02:33
I use mp3tag (http://www.mp3tag.de/), but others prefer Tag&Rename, foobar2000, Godfather, etc...they all should be able to add the tags you need. With mp3tag, you wont see these tags in the default input fields, but you can select track(s) and press alt-T and then you will have a screen showing all existing tags and there's a button with a star on it that allows you to add new tags (such as DISCC for disc count, DISCNUMBER (or DISC) for disc number in collection). TO make life easier, I actually set up custom entry fields. To do this, select Tools -> Options -> Tag Panel and click the star button to add the fields with a tag and a name. For exaample, add field DISCC with name Disc Count. Then you will simply be able to add the fields you need in the left had side of the screen. Note that you can select a whole album, change DISCC to 2, save and all the other tags will be preserved.

P.S. Here is a list of tags supported by Slimserver: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?SlimServerSupportedTags. Note that this page also indicates that the appropriate tag for mp3s is TPOS. You just use the one tag and enter "1/2" for the first disc in a collection of 2 and "2/2" for the second. I think that Slimserver will happily allow you to use DISC and DISCC for mp3s, but that's pretty non-standard tagging and other players may get upset.

P.P.S. Here is a longer list of tagging tools: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuideToTagging.

P.P.P.S. There's actually a primer on the Wiki here: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?MultiDisc which I added to a little bit.

norderney
2006-09-24, 02:35
I have a similar problem. I originally started ripping various artist compilation albums into individual artist folders. When I upgraded to ver 6.3 I discovered that this was causing problems, so found out that there was a field called "compilation" and by setting it to YES, I found all my various artist albums only appeared once each.
However, since upgrading to ver 6.5 I am once again getting the same album title appearing multiple times.

What is this about setting Compilation to 1? I use "tag&rename and it will only allow Compilation to be yes or no, not 1!

Siduhe
2006-09-24, 02:39
What is this about setting Compilation to 1? I use "tag&rename and it will only allow Compilation to be yes or no, not 1!

If you are setting the tag manually (i.e. in mp3tag or Foobar2000)

1=Yes
0=No

If you are setting the compilation tag via Tag&Rename, it uses the rather more user friendly "Yes" or "No". ;-)

norderney
2006-09-24, 03:05
So with Compilation tag set to YES, should the various artists album only appear once even though the tracks are spread out over various folders? The only option is to go through the very laborious task of cutting and pasting the tracks for each various artists album into single folders for each album?

smc2911
2006-09-24, 03:31
So with Compilation tag set to YES, should the various artists album only appear once even though the tracks are spread out over various folders? The only option is to go through the very laborious task of cutting and pasting the tracks for each various artists album into single folders for each album?
You'll also need to set "Group Compilation Albums Together" under Server Settings > Behaviour. If you do want to get all those tracks back in one album, using a tagging tool (see http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuideToTagging) can automatically do this for you: no need for a laborious cut & paste.

norderney
2006-09-24, 08:42
But Compilation tag is set to YES on all tracks on these various artist albums. What else can I do?

smc2911
2006-09-24, 18:50
So you have set "Group Compilation Albums Together" in Server Settings and have compilation set to YES and you still don't have them grouped together? I'd be interested to know whether it's actually set to 1 and Tag&Rename is displaying it as 'Yes'. Try mp3tag (it's free), select a track and press alt-T and you'll see the literal tag content (there may be a way to do this in Tag&Rename, but I'm not sure). Finally, since setting the tags and the Slimserver Settings have you done a clear and rescan? If you still have no joy, I think you will need to put albums in a single directory, but this is a fairly simple task using a tagging tools: just select all your tracks and then rename the files based on tags to, say, "Various Artists\%album%\%tracknum% - %artist% - %title%" and Bob's your uncle.

smc2911
2006-09-24, 20:44
I don't use Godfather myself, but many swear by it and here is a tutorial on reorganising files: http://users.otenet.gr/~jtcliper/tgf/tutorials/01/pg5.html

slimpy
2006-09-25, 01:21
You need to put all the tracks belonging to the same album into one single folder, regardless if it's a various artists or multi disc album.

-s.

smc2911
2006-09-25, 03:31
Multi-disc collections don't have to be in a single directory: they can be split across a directory for each disc.

chris.mason
2006-09-25, 06:23
This is now working for me:

I happen to have my compilation albums (where there are multiple artists) grouped under a directory called "Various Artists" then the album name, otherwise all albums are grouped under the artist name.

For all compilation albums, each track has the tag "Compilation", which is set to "1".

For albums that are multi-disk, I added:
Discc=<the total number of discs in the set>
Discnumber=<the number of the disc the track belongs to>

I have "group compilations albums together" AND "Treat multi-disk albums as one album". I did a complete re-scan and hey presto everything is working as it should be: you get one entry for a multi disk album, which when selected lists all the tracks from all the discs in set.

Chris.

slimpy
2006-09-25, 07:13
When using the DISCC/DISCNUMBER tags there is no need to have all tracks numbered contiguously. Tracks on the second disc can start with 1 again. Slimserver orders them correctly (DISCNUMBER, TRACKNUMBER).

-s.

chris.mason
2006-09-25, 07:36
I assume you mean that SlimServer doesn't actually renumber the tracks for you while browsing them, just then they are shown in the correct order...e.g.

<disc no> - <track no>. <song title>

I *did* have my albums numbered contiguously, but since I've figured out how to get this working (thanks to this thread), I've renumbered them all from 1.

slimpy
2006-09-25, 07:41
No, Slimserver doesn't renumber the tracks but it shows all tracks from disc 1 then disc 2 starting with track 1 again.

-s.

mdw
2006-09-27, 07:22
Thank you for this thread on compilations. I have followed the procedure and it works for me as well. One consequence of this that I had not anticipated was that tracks for artists in the Various Artists folder do not appear now under Browse Artists unless I go to Various Artists under Browse Artists. And even in that case, the listing is by album, not artist. So, I can no longer go to Browse Artist and browse all songs in my collection by Artist. Is there a server setting that I can change that will allow all tracks to show up under each Artist when in Browse Artists?

slimpy
2006-09-27, 07:54
Server Settings - Behavior - Compilations - List compilation albums under each artist

-s.

mdw
2006-09-27, 14:32
Thank you. It turns out that I had the incorrect file permissions on my slimserver.conf file so that when I had selected the Behavior parameter as you suggest, it didn't write it to the config file. I saved the change again after a chmod and it works now. Thanks!

joncourage
2006-10-01, 15:50
Just upgraded to 6.5 (uninstalled 6.3.1 then fresh install of 6.5) and am having a duplicate album problem but not for compilations.

I get a duplicate entry for a single-artist single-album, sometimes with a few songs only in the dupe (all songs show in the "main") or sometimes all songs showing in the dupe.

Anyone know of a fix for this?

(haven't tried a clear and re-scan yet)

joncourage
2006-10-01, 21:23
further info.

all dupe albums are albums containing songs that are found in some playlist. I would venture that all songs in playlists have resulted in album dupes.

slimpy
2006-10-02, 01:56
Have a close look at the file path on the song info page for both the entry from the playlist and the library. Do they differ in any way?

-s.

joncourage
2006-10-02, 08:12
Wow, good call.

The songs in the dupe album point to the location on a previous hard drive where I kept music before upgrading to the 6.5 version. That hard drive is still online and accessible by the Slimserver, so Slim doesn't appear to think anything is "wrong" or obsolete about that location.

The songs in the "real" album point to the correct location.

So, it would seem by induction that the Playlists entries continue to point to the original location of the song in the playlist (which makes sense I guess since the playlist has no way of knowing the music has moved and "re-pointing", does it?). And since that location is still available, the music is getting scanned.

An interesting conundrum - if you move you music directory, is there no way to update playlists with new locations, or do playlists have to be manually recreated?

Thanks for the great diagnostic direction!

slimpy
2006-10-02, 08:19
Wow, good call.

The songs in the dupe album point to the location on a previous hard drive where I kept music before upgrading to the 6.5 version. That hard drive is still online and accessible by the Slimserver, so Slim doesn't appear to think anything is "wrong" or obsolete about that location.

The songs in the "real" album point to the correct location.

So, it would seem by induction that the Playlists entries continue to point to the original location of the song in the playlist (which makes sense I guess since the playlist has no way of knowing the music has moved and "re-pointing", does it?). And since that location is still available, the music is getting scanned.

An interesting conundrum - if you move you music directory, is there no way to update playlists with new locations, or do playlists have to be manually recreated?

Thanks for the great diagnostic direction!

Glad to be of any help.
Playlists are basically just text files. Search the internet for a text editor that can replace text in multiple files at once, open all playlists in the text editor and replace the changed part of the file path. This is certainly easier than recreating all playlists.

-s.

joncourage
2006-10-02, 08:24
Once again slimpy - awesome. Thanks so much!

nicketynick
2006-10-02, 08:40
Well done, slimpy - another fine example of how great this community is!
Now, how do we keep other unwary users from running into this problem? Is it a bug? Or an enhancement request? Any of our friends from SD care to chime in here?
EDIT: see the following thread for more background
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=26877

bossman
2006-10-06, 10:03
Hi. I've had a number of versions of slimserver over time, but when I upgraded to 6.5 and rescanned my music library, many albums (not just compilations) suddenly show three listings for every single individual song. Albums are only listed once. So, for example, if I go into an album with 11 songs (and I've validated that there are only 11 files), each song shows up three times for a total of 33 songs. When I look at song info for the dupes, they show the same path and the rest of the info is identical.

I've clear the library and rescanned a couple times, and I get the same effect.

My SlimServer is running on Windows XP. All of my music is under a single directory on an external hard drive. I don't have any playlists and I use a tag editor to clean up the tags.

From the URL's that I see when I hover over each song in the SlimServer interface, it makes it look like it scanned the library three times consecutively or something. Hard to tell. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

stinkingpig
2006-10-06, 17:41
On 10/6/06, bossman <bossman.2f9n6b1160154301 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> Hi. I've had a number of versions of slimserver over time, but when I
> upgraded to 6.5 and rescanned my music library, many albums (not just
> compilations) suddenly show three listings for every single individual
> song. Albums are only listed once. So, for example, if I go into an
> album with 11 songs (and I've validated that there are only 11 files),
> each song shows up three times for a total of 33 songs. When I look at
> song info for the dupes, they show the same path and the rest of the
> info is identical.
>
> I've clear the library and rescanned a couple times, and I get the same
> effect.
>
> My SlimServer is running on Windows XP. All of my music is under a
> single directory on an external hard drive. I don't have any playlists
> and I use a tag editor to clean up the tags.
>
> >From the URL's that I see when I hover over each song in the SlimServer
> interface, it makes it look like it scanned the library three times
> consecutively or something. Hard to tell. Any suggestions?
>
>
Do you have playlists? How about iTunes or MusicMagic or similar?
--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional

bossman
2006-10-08, 21:31
I do not have any playlists or musicmagic -- used a tag editor to clean up the tags and folders containing all my songs, and it gets rid of playlists. ITunes is installed on my computer but I have "Do Not Use Itunes" chosen in my General Server Settings.

Everything about my configuration is the same (as far as I know) as it was with previous versions of SlimServer, where I did not see this behavior.

NeilB
2006-10-09, 00:54
After having some duplicate album issues myself, I think I finally found out what was causing them. Somehow, some of the tracks had V1 and V2 tags. Removing the V1 tags solved the problem. I used a program called Dr Tag to do it - I did try to do the same with MP3Tag but for some reason it didn't properly delete them.

bossman
2006-10-09, 21:21
Thanks for the suggestion. I too use Dr Tag and validated that most (if not all) of my albums only have one type of tag (some are V1 and some are V2 if that matters).

Regardless, nothing has changed about the tags of my albums since before I upgraded to 6.5.0.

I tried deleting everything in my "SlimServer > Server > cache" folder within my slimserver installation, then setting my folders to a folder with no songs, and clearing the library. That resulted in an empty library.

But when I pointed my playlists folder back to where I actually keep my music (on an external hard drive) it rescanned and each song showed up three times again. I'm dumbfounded.

repman
2006-10-10, 02:11
Having upgraded to version 6.5.1 I'm having the same issues reported here with duplicate album names.
I have tried a complete un-install of SlimServer and deleting the associated program directories, but still my complimation albums list for each and every artist. ie 20 tracks = 20 albums
In 'Home/Server Settings/Behavior' I have selected 'Group complimation albums together' although I'm not so sure what setting to use for the following:
'Albums that contain songs that are tagged with a band may be listed under that band name or with the other artists for that album. The band tag is also known as TPE2 and may appear as the "album artist" in some software'
My understanding is that the core artist name would be 'Various' an that band is the Album Artist... Slimserver does not exactly make any of this clear. Needless to say it all worked fine in 6.3.1

I use Tag&Rename for file management and my file format is entirely flac, my directory structure is \artist\album\track.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

slimpy
2006-10-10, 03:35
Having upgraded to version 6.5.1 I'm having the same issues reported here with duplicate album names.
I have tried a complete un-install of SlimServer and deleting the associated program directories, but still my complimation albums list for each and every artist. ie 20 tracks = 20 albums
In 'Home/Server Settings/Behavior' I have selected 'Group complimation albums together' although I'm not so sure what setting to use for the following:
'Albums that contain songs that are tagged with a band may be listed under that band name or with the other artists for that album. The band tag is also known as TPE2 and may appear as the "album artist" in some software'
My understanding is that the core artist name would be 'Various' an that band is the Album Artist... Slimserver does not exactly make any of this clear. Needless to say it all worked fine in 6.3.1

I use Tag&Rename for file management and my file format is entirely flac, my directory structure is \artist\album\track.
Are all songs from one compilation album in the same directory. They need to be in order to be recognized as belonging to the same album.
If they are in different directories it isn't possible for slimserver to tell if they belong to a compilation album or if they are just different albums with the same name.

Regarding the TPE2 tag have a look at this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=28261

-s.

repman
2006-10-10, 04:17
Are all songs from one compilation album in the same directory. They need to be in order to be recognized as belonging to the same album.
If they are in different directories it isn't possible for slimserver to tell if they belong to a compilation album or if they are just different albums with the same name.

Regarding the TPE2 tag have a look at this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=28261

-s.

Slimpy - I understand what you are saying, and all of my compilation tracks are in individual artist folders (and therefore repeated same albums). It still does not explain why it worked in 6.3.1 but not 6.5.1. does this now mean I have to re-locate all compilation files...?

slimpy
2006-10-10, 04:44
Slimpy - I understand what you are saying, and all of my compilation tracks are in individual artist folders (and therefore repeated same albums). It still does not explain why it worked in 6.3.1 but not 6.5.1. does this now mean I have to re-locate all compilation files...?
Yes, you have to relocate them. There were some considerable changes in 6.5 regarding the handling of compilation albums and common album names. In 6.3 you had to specify every album name that existed in your library more than once, e.g. "Greatest Hits". If you didn't these albums were treated as compilation albums. This was quite cumbersome and did not follow common sense: Why should an album be treated as a compilation only because there is another album with the same name by a different artist. e.g I have three albums called "The Antidote" by three different artists.
Slimserver now only treats albums as compilations if they have different artists and the files are in the same directory.
This is only a problem for people who strictly follow the /artist/album/song structure and even split up compilation albums. I suggest you create an artist directory called "Various artists" and regroup your compilation albums under this entry.

Another (unverified) solution you might want to try: Tag all compilation tracks with the COMPILATION=1 tag. I'm not sure if this works though as I haven't actually tried it. But telling slimserver explicitely to treat these tracks as compilation could do the trick.

-s.

ModelCitizen
2006-10-10, 06:54
Another (unverified) solution you might want to try: Tag all compilation tracks with the COMPILATION=1 tag. I'm not sure if this works though as I haven't actually tried it. But telling slimserver explicitely to treat these tracks as compilation could do the trick.
-s.
This did not work for me due to the music being spead over vartious directories. For all compilations albums each with their own directory it works fine (i.e. cures multiple listings of compilation albums).

bossman
2006-10-14, 08:49
I finally decided to re-install 6.3.1, and my problem with seeing individual songs duplicated three times went away. Thanks for all the tips, I guess I'll wait for some later version of the server to give it another go.

benthos
2006-11-03, 23:17
For the record: I've installed the new 6.5, and I'm having this same problem. Every song shows up 3 times, even though it's the same song, from the same album, and the same file directory - every one of them shows up in triplicate. It's a major drag - to listen to an album the way it's supposed to be heard, without playing each song 3 times in a row, I have to manually "x" out all of the duplicates from my playlist. It's ridiculous.

ceejay
2006-11-04, 01:14
It's ridiculous.

Agreed. Also strange as it clearly isn't happening for most other users!

What OS? Which version of SS, exactly? What file type? If MP3, might you have both v1 and v2 tags? Do you have any playlists? Using iTunes?

One interesting (and easy) test would be to create a new music folder and just copy one or two albums into it. Make sure that you don't have any playlists in play. Then point SS at that folder as its library, turn on some debugging flags (d_scan at least, you could also search the forum for other suggestions), do a full clear and rescan and see what happens (look in the log file which is accessible from the debugging page).

HTH
Ceejay

timrfletcher
2006-11-04, 10:32
Yes, you have to relocate them. There were some considerable changes in 6.5 regarding the handling of compilation albums and common album names. In 6.3 you had to specify every album name that existed in your library more than once, e.g. "Greatest Hits". If you didn't these albums were treated as compilation albums. This was quite cumbersome and did not follow common sense: Why should an album be treated as a compilation only because there is another album with the same name by a different artist. e.g I have three albums called "The Antidote" by three different artists.
Slimserver now only treats albums as compilations if they have different artists and the files are in the same directory.
This is only a problem for people who strictly follow the /artist/album/song structure and even split up compilation albums. I suggest you create an artist directory called "Various artists" and regroup your compilation albums under this entry.

-s.

I don't think the COMPILATION flag alone will solve this, but I've been using it along with a DISC tag which does seem to work. Just set the DISC tag the same for each track. I use:

COMPILATION=1
DISC=0

I use 0 to differentiate from true multi disc sets, where I do uses DISC and DISCC. There doesn't seem to be any need for DISCC in this case, and I'm not sure if the COMPILATION tag is even needed.

When I do this, I don't even see a disc number in the song info. I don't know whether it's because there is no DISCC tag, or because the DISC tag is 0.

benthos
2006-11-05, 22:08
What OS? Which version of SS, exactly? What file type? If MP3, might you have both v1 and v2 tags? Do you have any playlists? Using iTunes?

OS = Windows XP

File types =

flac - all flac tracks show up either two or three times - I can't see any discernible difference between the ones that show 2 times and those that show 3 times;

mp3 - mp3 tracks evidently only show up twice. Almost all of my recordings in flac have an .m3u file in their folder, but this is not always the case with the mp3 recordings. The mp3 files mostly have both v1 and v2 tags.

Not using Itunes (God forbid!).

One interesting (and easy) test would be to create a new music folder and just copy one or two albums into it. Make sure that you don't have any playlists in play. Then point SS at that folder as its library, turn on some debugging flags (d_scan at least, you could also search the forum for other suggestions), do a full clear and rescan and see what happens (look in the log file which is accessible from the debugging page).

I don't really understand this. I'm not technically adept when it comes to things like debugging, I wouldn't even know where to start.

benthos
2006-11-12, 16:12
Agreed. Also strange as it clearly isn't happening for most other users!

I discovered what was causing the problem. The problem, again, was that songs were showing up two or three times when I would open or play an album. The culprit: I had cyclical (redundant) shortcuts to certain music folders.

Since I can only specify one folder for Slimserver to scan, I plugged shortcuts into that folder, directing the server to other folders. What I failed to realize is that I had duplicate shortcuts, leading to the same folder. With previous versions of Slimserver, this wasn't an issue - it knew that the shortcuts pointed to the same file, and included the file only once in the database. With 6.5, it counts the file with each scan.

Long story short: if your playlists show the same file multiple times, I recommend checking your shortcuts.

Chris

shermoid
2007-05-10, 05:40
Yes, you have to relocate them. There were some considerable changes in 6.5 regarding the handling of compilation albums and common album names.

-s.

slimpy,

this is a SERIOUS problem for me if this is true. i have just upgraded to 6.5.1, and discovered that my database now has all these duplicate album titles - as others have noted, one "copy" of the album title in the database for each track of the compilation.

the problem is i have thousands of cds already on disc, with many hundreds of compilation discs. it would be a task of monumental proportions to have to re-organize thousands of songs into different directories. the software i use automatically creates separate directories for each artist on complation albums, and this has worked under slimser 6.2.1 since i've had my readynas (about 2 years).

isn't there a way to leave all these files as they are, and have slimserver work for me? why should i have to work that hard for the software? i can't imagine having to find all the component songs for each compilation disc, create a directory by hand, move all the files into that directory, and do this for hundreds and hundreds of discs - surely this is too much. is there some other suggestion besides moving hundreds of gigabytes of data around?

-sherm

Siduhe
2007-05-10, 10:25
isn't there a way to leave all these files as they are, and have slimserver work for me?

Revert to 6.3.1. would do it. Appreciate it's not ideal in terms of new functionality, but it is an option.

i can't imagine having to find all the component songs for each compilation disc, create a directory by hand, move all the files into that directory, and do this for hundreds and hundreds of discs - surely this is too much. is there some other suggestion besides moving hundreds of gigabytes of data around?

There will be a number of tagging and reordering programs that can help to semi-automate this process for you. Tag and Rename will rename files to a given structure, including reordering them in a new folder structure based on tag structure (Windows only), and I'm sure other programs will do the same kind of thing.

You will need to decide on the structure, then identify each of your complilation discs (i.e. scan in your whole library, order by album and then select the relevant compilations), but other than that the process would be automated.

shermoid
2007-05-10, 11:21
There will be a number of tagging and reordering programs that can help to semi-automate this process for you. Tag and Rename will rename files to a given structure, including reordering them in a new folder structure based on tag structure (Windows only), and I'm sure other programs will do the same kind of thing.

hi siduhe,

thank you very much for this usefil info and the suggestion! i use a linux system, and wonder if any of these programs you're referring to have linux version. i do not own ANYTHING that comes from microsoft. :)

You will need to decide on the structure, then identify each of your complilation discs (i.e. scan in your whole library, order by album and then select the relevant compilations), but other than that the process would be automated.

i might just re-open my original ticket with slimdevices, and seek a bug fix for the 6.2.1 version. i was happy with it until i discovered that it did not handle multiple GENRE tags correctly. and, i don't want to have to figure anything out for the software! i already have a HUGE database of music, and the software should be backwards compatible, like ALL GOOD SOFTWARE, and handle previous data.

if i have to work this hard, then i will toss it right back to slimdevices, and ask them instead to fix the 6.2.1 version i have so it recognizes multiple tags. i'm the customer - they're the supplier. they work on my issues; i buy their products. that's the deal. :)

appreciate your help and suggestions very much! i hope i can make some use of them ...

kind regards,
-sherm

Marc Sherman
2007-05-10, 11:50
shermoid wrote:
>
> thank you very much for this usefil info and the suggestion! i use a
> linux system, and wonder if any of these programs you're referring to
> have linux version. i do not own ANYTHING that comes from microsoft.
> :)

There are plenty of linux tools that can move/rename mp3 files around
based on their id3 tags. Here's one:

http://cbothamy.free.fr/projects/id3ren/

> i might just re-open my original ticket with slimdevices, and seek a
> bug fix for the 6.2.1 version. i was happy with it until i discovered
> that it did not handle multiple GENRE tags correctly. and, i don't
> want to have to figure anything out for the software! i already have a
> HUGE database of music, and the software should be backwards compatible,
> like ALL GOOD SOFTWARE, and handle previous data.
>
> if i have to work this hard, then i will toss it right back to
> slimdevices, and ask them instead to fix the 6.2.1 version i have so it
> recognizes multiple tags. i'm the customer - they're the supplier.
> they work on my issues; i buy their products. that's the deal. :)

That's not going to happen. No-one is doing any further work on the
6.2.x branch. You can stand on principle all you like, or you can take
advantage of the suggestions to actually solve your problems that people
are giving you -- it's your choice.

- Marc

shermoid
2007-05-10, 13:29
:There are plenty of linux tools that can move/rename mp3 files around
based on their id3 tags. Here's one:

http://cbothamy.free.fr/projects/id3ren/

thank you marc! i will check out the page and the software once i get back home, and can download/install. :)

That's not going to happen. No-one is doing any further work on the 6.2.x branch. You can stand on principle all you like, or you can take
advantage of the suggestions to actually solve your problems that people
are giving you -- it's your choice.

well, while i appreciate what you're saying, any company that's destined to stay in business will do exactly that - they will work on legacy products if a customer demands it. how do i know? i'm a software engineer. i have re-worked decades old code upon demand, because that's what the early adopters of new technology expect. doing so keeps the customer, keeps the customer happy, and encourgaes the customer to sing your praises to others.

if slimdevices refuses to re-work an old version, i can become "swami sherman" and predict that this company will not survive. how do i know that? i have seen it happen time and time again. if you do not support your early adopters. not only will they stop doing business with you, but they will stop encouraging others to use the products. so, it all comes down to how long slimdevices is in it for - the short run or the long run.

it's not a matter of principle any more than it's a matter of good business. happy customers = continued business. unhappy customers = end of the business. since i am an engineer, i will ultimately solve the problem. the only question is how willing slimdevices is help me - especially when their earlier products worked with just one bug to fix, and by following their latest suggestions, i now have have a disabled music server.

best,
-sherm

Marc Sherman
2007-05-10, 13:32
shermoid wrote:
>
> well, while i appreciate what you're saying, any company that's
> destined to stay in business will do exactly that - they will work on
> legacy products if a customer demands it. how do i know? i'm a
> software engineer. i have re-worked decades old code upon demand,
> because that's what the early adopters of new technology expect.
> doing so keeps the customer, keeps the customer happy, and encourgaes
> the customer to sing your praises to others.

You're not the only professional software engineer here. I take it that
all of your experience in the enterprise arena, where individual
customers pay upwards of 6 figures for their licenses, and may not
upgrade their mission-critical systems to the latest and greatest for
years after it's released? Your broad statements simply do not apply to
the consumer software space, much less to open source.

- Marc

snarlydwarf
2007-05-10, 13:37
well, while i appreciate what you're saying, any company that's destined to stay in business will do exactly that

Right: which is exactly why Linux is Doooooomed! Cause that meanie Linus doesn't fix the bugs in my 1.0.13 kernel. I don't like ELF! I am a DWARF! I want A.OUT only! Dammit, why don't they fix libc5! The whole Linux GPL is DOOOOOMED because they won't fix what I want!

Ooops. Sorry. Sarcasm overload.

shermoid
2007-05-10, 14:11
Right: which is exactly why Linux is Doooooomed! Cause that meanie Linus doesn't fix the bugs in my 1.0.13 kernel. I don't like ELF! I am a DWARF! I want A.OUT only! Dammit, why don't they fix libc5! The whole Linux GPL is DOOOOOMED because they won't fix what I want!

Ooops. Sorry. Sarcasm overload.

* linux IS doomed. it will be replaced by something better someday. while it's here, however:

* you can fix your own 1.0.13 kernel, as you have full access to the sourcec code. do i have full access to slimdevices source code?

* you don't have to use ELF. you can invent your own binary format. you have access to the source code, and can code away to your heart's content. can i change the way slimserver accesses its database?

* you'll have to check with your doctor to see what can be done about your stature.

* you can generate A.OUT files all you'd like without even having to add a "-o A.OUT" to the cc command line. can i alter the slimserver code and make sure that compilation albums are handled correctly?

* since the source is readily available, you can alter libc5 in any way you'd like to.

* and yes, if enough people don't get what they want, the whole GPL scheme could be doomed. care for a victor 9000 pc, or a wang word processor?

Marc Sherman
2007-05-10, 14:12
shermoid wrote:
>
> * you can fix your own 1.0.13 kernel, as you have full access to the
> sourcec code. do i have full access to slimdevices source code?

You're kidding, right? The problems you're having don't have anything to
do with the closed-source firmware. Feel free to fix the problem in
slimserver yourself.

- Marc

shermoid
2007-05-10, 14:18
You're not the only professional software engineer here. I take it that
all of your experience in the enterprise arena, where individual
customers pay upwards of 6 figures for their licenses, and may not
upgrade their mission-critical systems to the latest and greatest for
years after it's released? Your broad statements simply do not apply to
the consumer software space, much less to open source.

- Marc

hey marc,

i don't mean to impune anyone's abilities. i'm certain many folks here are techo-geeks in one way or another, or we wouldn't have undertaken these types of projects in the first place.

my point is that a good company is responsive to customers' needs, whether they are large needs or small needs. if a customer requests something from a vendor, or has been given bad advise by a vendor, the best vendors will help the customer out, re-work old hardware or old software, and keep the customer happy. you do not need a million dollar licensing arrangement to do good business.

if i had access to slimdevices' code, i'd fix the problem in my old 6.2.1 version myself! but, i do not have such access, and must ask slimdevices to make the change for me. i'm sure the actual problem (in pseudocode) is to change a line that looks like this:

if ($tag == "ARTIST") then &process_tags();

to a line like this:

if ($tag == "ARTIST" || "GENRE") then &process_tags();

pretty much, that's all i need. :-)

best,
-sherm

Marc Sherman
2007-05-10, 14:19
shermoid wrote:
> if i had access to slimdevices' code, i'd fix the problem in my old
> 6.2.1 version myself! but, i do not have such access, and must ask
> slimdevices to make the change for me. i'm sure the actual problem (in
> pseudocode) is to change a line that looks like this:

Seriously, are you not aware that slimserver is opensource software?

http://svn.slimdevices.com/

- Marc

kdf
2007-05-10, 14:26
Quoting shermoid <shermoid.2qdyzb1178832001 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

> 6.2.1 version myself!

You do. The source code is perl, and is installed whenever you
install a slimserver package. In the case of the windows installer,
it is a packaged executable that runs the server, but you still have
the source code. All you need to do is download ActiveState's
ActivePerl and you can edit anything in C:\Program
Files\slimserver\server\Slim. In the case of genre handling, it might
even be as simple as grabbing the latest CPAN module for the format
you are using and adding that to the CPAN folder under the slimserver
installation. Then run the server using slimserver.pl, which you can
make into a service using srvany or firedaemon.

if you really need it as an EXE, that's a bit more effort (read:
money) as that requires building the EXE using the PDK from
ActiveState. The PDK is not free.

Only the firmware is closed, and you will not need access to the
firmware to change the processing of genre tags.

-kdf

pfarrell
2007-05-10, 14:34
shermoid wrote:
> 6.2.1 version myself! but, i do not have such access,

As others have pointed out, you do, it is open source. That is why I
bought my first SqueezeBox, because the Slimserver is open source.

The firmware of the embedded controllers inside the SqueezeBox and
Transporters is not open source, but I am not even convinced that
SlimDevices wouldn't provide it under suitable terms, but, and this is a
big but, embedded systems development is not the same as hacking some
perl or html. You always need pricy development environments,
specialized compilers, links, etc. and I believe that the embedded
vendor wants a huge amount of money, say $20,000 for their development
kit. Plus, embedded systems are weird, developing for them is a
specialized skill.

Get the perl, fix it, be happy.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

snarlydwarf
2007-05-10, 14:52
* you don't have to use ELF. you can invent your own binary format. you have access to the source code, and can code away to your heart's content. can i change the way slimserver accesses its database?

Of course you can.

* you can generate A.OUT files all you'd like without even having to add a "-o A.OUT" to the cc command line. can i alter the slimserver code and make sure that compilation albums are handled correctly?

a.out format files are not merely named a.out. "-o a.out" does not generate an a.out format file, it generates a file named 'a.out'. Not at all the same thing.

I see you missed entirely the point: You Have Source. You claim to be running Linux and be blissfully free of Microsoft, so go to it. You can even browse SVN and backport your own changes to Genre.

shermoid
2007-05-10, 16:20
thank you to all who've offered up advise on what to do. your time and thoughts are very much appreciated.

-sherm

kdf
2007-05-10, 16:36
If your issue with 6.2.1 was one that was reported on
bugs.slimdevices.com, you may be able to track the fix through there.
More recent reports include the change number from svn that implements
the fix. Older reports, you can at least get a date that it was
marked fixed and look through svn.slimdevices.com for changes made at
that time. In the case of multiple genres, there was a report against
v6.2.2 regarding null separated ID#2.4 tags. The report includes a
patch against a specific revision number so that is a good starting
point:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3392

-kdf

shermoid
2007-05-11, 06:59
hey kdf,

thanks for the pointers over to bug database. there's one thing i think i neglected to mention in all the previous posts, however - i am using a readynas600 from infrant technology to run the slimserver program. i download a pre-compiled version of slimserver directly from infrant and upload that image to my readynas. i do not use an intervening PC to run slimserver. i only need the PC to rip and flac-encode cds. for that, i use a linux system and the shell script "abcde".

i do not have access to any source code, and cannot really take advantage of slimserver being an open source product. that's why i kept saying that i have no access to the source code. sorry for the oversight!

i believe the best choice here is to downrev both the readynas firmware and the version of slimserver. i can go back to raidiator 2.* from the newset version (3.01*), and use slimserver 6.3.1. the raidiator version that i have already has slimserver 6.5.1 built in, and will not allow me to add on a 6.3.1 version. so, downrevving the readynas will have to come first. as someone pointed out earlier, 6.3.1 will allow for correctly-handled multiple GENRE tags, will read the database of compilation albums as it currently sits on disc, and won't force me to reorganize tens of thousands of files.

thanks again for your help! i appreciate it very much.

best,
-sherm