PDA

View Full Version : SB & QNAP TS-101 Newbie questions

Quicken
2006-09-22, 10:32
Hi all,

I currently have all my music (about 150GB) sitting on a 250 gig USB 2.0 drive hooked up to my windows XP PC in a home office. My Hi-Fi kit is next door in the living room, and I'd like to get a squeezebox hooked up in there. Currently I am on a wired network, using an ADSL router with one USB port and one ethernet port. However, when I buy the SB I will get a wireless router to simplify matters. I expect all of this to work fine. However, ideally I would leave the PC swiched off and stream my music from a QNAP TS-101 and I have a couple of outstanding questions about this:

1) Can I install SS myself on an arbitrary QNAP, or does it need to come pre-installed by a vendor?

2) The QNAP has no wireless networking facility as far as I can see. If I want to expand to a multi-room solution, does that mean I'm going to need to run network cables everywhere (not going to happen), or is a wireless solution available.

Any help appreciated,

Q

davidcotton
2006-09-22, 10:52
Hi all,

I currently have all my music (about 150GB) sitting on a 250 gig USB 2.0 drive hooked up to my windows XP PC in a home office. My Hi-Fi kit is next door in the living room, and I'd like to get a squeezebox hooked up in there. Currently I am on a wired network, using an ADSL router with one USB port and one ethernet port. However, when I buy the SB I will get a wireless router to simplify matters. I expect all of this to work fine. However, ideally I would leave the PC swiched off and stream my music from a QNAP TS-101 and I have a couple of outstanding questions about this:

1) Can I install SS myself on an arbitrary QNAP, or does it need to come pre-installed by a vendor?

Any help appreciated,

Q

At the moment, ss comes preinstalled from the likes of advancedmp3players.co.uk, or others (read the small print on the site to make sure it does come preinstalled with ss). There WILL be an option to buy the software seperatly at a cost of about 25.00.

With regards to wireless, there did seem to be an option of adding wireless to the qnap, but nothing mores been said about it.

funkstar
2006-09-22, 12:59
2) The QNAP has no wireless networking facility as far as I can see. If I want to expand to a multi-room solution, does that mean I'm going to need to run network cables everywhere (not going to happen), or is a wireless solution available.
The Qnap can be plugged directly into the Wireless ADSL router, then you can have multiple clients accessing the same music on just one Qnap.

Bare in mind though, the Qnap is a NAS box that wasn't actually designed to run a large complicated app like SlimServer. However it does this quite well for a limited number of clients. I don't know how many devices it could handle at the same time, but it won't be as many as a full blown PC. If your music is in one of the native formats though (MP3, FLAC, Ogg, WAV, AIFF or WMA), there will be a great deal less demand on the unit when streaming music.

Fifer
2006-09-22, 13:20
The Qnap can be plugged directly into the Wireless ADSL router

That's what I do. It works a treat.

Quicken
2006-09-22, 14:58
The Qnap can be plugged directly into the Wireless ADSL router, then you can have multiple clients accessing the same music on just one Qnap.

Bare in mind though, the Qnap is a NAS box that wasn't actually designed to run a large complicated app like SlimServer. However it does this quite well for a limited number of clients. I don't know how many devices it could handle at the same time, but it won't be as many as a full blown PC. If your music is in one of the native formats though (MP3, FLAC, Ogg, WAV, AIFF or WMA), there will be a great deal less demand on the unit when streaming music.

Oh good, that's what I was hoping I could do when I thought about it a bit more this evening. I don't really need more than two slimservers in the near term, but it's good to be aware there may be a limit to this in the future. All my music on the QNAP would be either FLAC, MP3 or WMA, so that's no problem I hope. I wonder if anyone else can comment on multiple client performance. I think it calls for another thread...

Q

davidcotton
2006-09-26, 05:04
Oh good, that's what I was hoping I could do when I thought about it a bit more this evening. I don't really need more than two slimservers in the near term, but it's good to be aware there may be a limit to this in the future. All my music on the QNAP would be either FLAC, MP3 or WMA, so that's no problem I hope. I wonder if anyone else can comment on multiple client performance. I think it calls for another thread...

Q

No probs with flac or wav files as thats what I use...