View Full Version : Upgrade to 6.5 problems

2006-09-22, 04:07
Fedora Core 5 Linux x86_64
Slimserver version 6.5.0 - 9916

I have just upgraded from my previous version of Slimserver (6.3.1 I think) to the latest stable release, and found the process a little more difficult than usual. The first problem arose in that executing slimserver.pl (I had used "/sbin/service slimserver start" first) would return the error that 'mysqld' could not be located, and would exit there. This was fixed by setting up Slimserver to use the version of MySQL that is already running on my system (although it wasn't too much of a problem to do, other not so technically minded people may not be able to do this).

Once this was done, Slimserver ran fine, until I went to set up my library directory, and scan for files. Upon clicking to scan for files, Slimserver would crash. A quick look down the /tmp/slimserver.log file, indicated that the likely cause of this was the lack of the Digest::SHA1 perl module. Why wasn't this set as a requirement, in the same way that YAML::Syck was (which was installed with /usr/local/slimserver/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl YAML::Syck). I've now installed the Digest::SHA1 module (using cpan), and Slimserver appears to be running perfectly.

I hope that the above may help someone else, and also be fixed for other users.

2006-09-22, 05:19
I agree with the poster above.

I'm running on Gentoo and also had to put in a considerable amount of effort (about 3 hours) to get 6.5 up and running (BTW, I'm been using Slimserver for a couple of years, so I'm used to doing a full blown upgrade).

It took a whole bunch of configuring to get MySql ready to accept connections from SS, however, the notations on the Wiki were extremely helpful.

TIP: If you're upgrading on Linux and your /etc/init.d/slimserver start command isn't starting up slimserver, go into your local slimserver install directory and run the main slimserver script manually, via a ./slimserver.pl. By doing that, it'll tell you what it doesn't like and you can go ahead and fix it.

Now that it's up and running, I'm very pleased with the improvements. Seems to be running much more efficiently on the server and web interface response is very nice.

There is only one thing wrong that I"ve noticed thus far:

A few albums are not being flagged with the MM for integration with MusicMagic (MusicIP) -- they are quite clearly shown as mixable on the MusicIP interface, though.