PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Artist on display?

Flamingo
2006-09-22, 03:52
Hi guys,

Just upgraded to 6.5.0 and I now have no artist information on the Squeezebox display in "Now Playing" - just the track no and song title.

I've been into player settings and chosen the relevant "Now playing" setting to include artist.

Nobody else has reported this som I'm assuming I've done something daft?

ceejay
2006-09-22, 04:25
Just to be clear - you've gone to player settings - basic settings - title format and selected an option that includes Artist? And you're not getting the Artist?

Are you getting a different format string instead?

Could you try selecting one of the very many options that are available but probably not included in your default list (go to the bottom blank box and pull down the menu...)

Ceejay

Flamingo
2006-09-22, 04:36
Absolutely - you got it.

I've tried changing to "Artist - Title" and "Title(Artist)" but to no effect. In fact anything the artist is not appearing at all.

All the artist tags in the rest of Slimserver seem to be OK though.

Flamingo
2006-09-22, 06:01
There seems to be a problem with the ARTIST tag in any settings that affect the display on the Squeezebox or the Web interface.

Can somebody try and create their own custom display in Server Setting/Formatting with ARTIST and try using it for the player or the Slim Server Web interface.

ceejay
2006-09-22, 09:44
Well, it works ok for me! I created a new title string that included Artist, selected it for both web display and a player, and it came up fine on both. The standard ones also work ok for me.

So what's different about yours?

Artist names are coming up correctly elsewhere?

One thing you might try - disabling all your plugins and restarting slimserver, just in case something is misbehaving.

Ceejay

Flamingo
2006-09-22, 09:48
Didn't have any plug-ins! Just rescanned, then reinstalled, still not working.

All tags are properly populated when I click on the track detail.

Softsqueeze also has same symptoms.

I'm using lossless WMA files.

ArgoNavis
2006-09-22, 16:54
Flamingo, I'm having the same issues. At first, I thought I was misunderstanding what the "Title Format" setting should control, however Ceejay kindly made me aware that it was, in fact, the proper knob to twiddle.

What follows is a table of what I am experiencing. I selected each title format in turn, then selected Home > Albums and an album from my list. These are my observations (the format number is in parentheses):

(0) TITLE
Walkin' After Midnight from Dreamland by Madeleine Peyroux

(1) DISC-TRACKNUM. TITLE
1. Walkin' After Midnight from Dreamland by Madeleine Peyroux

(2) TRACKNUM. TITLE

(3) TRACKNUM. ARTIST - TITLE
1. Madeleine Peyroux - Walkin' After Midnight from Dreamland

(4) TRACKNUM. TITLE (ARTIST)
1. Walkin' After Midnight (Madeleine Peyroux) from Dreamland

(5) TRACKNUM. TITLE - ARTIST - ALBUM
1. Walkin' After Midnight - Madeleine Peyroux - Dreamland

(6) FILE.EXT
01 Walkin' After Midnight.mp3 from Dreamland by Madeleine Peyroux

(7) TRACKNUM. TITLE from ALBUM by ARTIST

(8) TITLE (ARTIST)
Walkin' After Midnight (Madeleine Peyroux) from Dreamland

(9) ARTIST - TITLE
Madeleine Peyroux - Walkin' After Midnight from Dreamland

At this point it seems clear that something isn't quite working properly. I couldn't find a bug report on this issue -- should one be submitted?

AN.

Flamingo
2006-09-23, 05:42
Well there's certainly something wrong somewhere.

Trouble is not everyone is having this problme wich makes me wonder if it's related to another option I've changed for Slimserver.

How can I reset everything back to default settings on Slimserver?

ceejay
2006-09-23, 06:41
Argonavis and Flamingo - lets start by separating what seem to be distinct issues.

Argonavis - I assume that all your observations are on the web interface, not the player display? If so you are getting clean, consistent behaviour: you are getting the string you've asked for followed by "from <album>" and "by <artist>" IFF they were not already given. I've not played with this but I guess it's intentional to give full information in the web interface where its assumed there is plenty of screen to work with. On the player display you should get exactly what you've asked for?

Flamingo - is it still the case that no matter which title string you use, you aren't getting any "artist" info? This sounds very odd. Perhaps you could post some details of what you are seeing, like Argonavis did.

Ceejay

Flamingo
2006-09-23, 08:24
ceejay,

Yes I cannot get any artist info on the player no matter what formatting string I specify - including the built in ones.

ceejay
2006-09-23, 11:22
Well, I'm just about beaten then. The artist names are showing up elsewhere, like in "browse artists" ... and you are looking at "now playing" ... and the format you have requested in settings includes "artist" ... no, I'm stumped. Anyone else got any ideas?

Ceejay

Flamingo
2006-09-23, 11:25
I have my suspicions that it may be some other setting taht I've chosen that is conflicting - although I didn't change much from the default.

How can I get rid of all my server config settings? Is it a registry key or what?

ceejay
2006-09-23, 13:43
Well, you could always delete the slimserver directory (or, safer, rename to something else) and do a clean install....

Ceejay

Than
2006-09-23, 14:02
I think this has to do with the wma tags, which have fields for both Artist (Track Artist) and Album Artist. Standard tag editors and Windows Media Player only allow you to enter Artist. However a dedicated wma tag editor like Tag & Rename allow you to also make Album Artist entries.

If a wma file, which includes entries for both Album Artist and Artist is played on a Squeexe Box 2/3 with firmware 64 and Slim Server Server 6.5.0, Artist is lost on the screen. The problem is that these entries are presented as Album Artist and Track Artist (play a song and use right arrow key and scroll down through all fields to check this). However if Album Artist is left out in the wma-file, the Squeeze box presents it as Artist only and it will show up on the screen. It seems it is the Slim Server 6.5.0 that can't cope with Album Artist and Track Artist. I've tried to use a custom Title Format with both Album Artist and Track Artist with no success.

In previous firmware and Slim Server versions the Squeeze Box2/3 has always presented Track Artist as Artist even if the wma file has a Album Artist entry. This is the reason why it had worked before.

I hope the clever guys at Slim Devices fix this and the old fast forward and rewind issue when using wma files.

Flamingo
2006-09-24, 03:11
Great explanation Than - have you raised a bug? Or anyone else?

pechspilz
2006-09-24, 05:29
I think this problem is related:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=139159#post139159

I don't have any WMA files. It looks like there's no artist tag. In my case the artist is part of the title tag. Of course not in the song file tags itself but they somehow get parsed like this.

Flamingo
2006-09-25, 13:59
I've raised this as a bug. http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4215

If you use WMA I suggest you go there and vote for it !

tomsi42
2006-09-25, 15:41
I have the same bug with FLAC files.

I wiped my server 100% (server software, database, the contents of /usr/local/slimserver, etc) without helping in any way.

I have also added a comment to the bug report.

Than
2006-09-26, 09:03
Okey good.

Lets hope they are interested in fixing this tag bug, but I dought it. In my opinion these kind of companies (Slim Devices, Roku Labs, Cowon, iRiver) are not serious from a customer perspective. They seem to launch prototypes rather than products all the time. And yes these bugs can be fixed afterwards in fw upgrades. The ambition is good, but before you know it the vendors are focsuing on new products and the old ones are forgotten and left out in the cold. I would say that it is only major bugs that that will be fixed and in this world it means mp3 related ones, forget about the other formats.

For example, in the SB 3 owner's guide it says that fast forward and rewind is supported. To this day these functions are still not working with wma files, but with mp3 files they do. It doesn't say that there are restrictions to these funcions when using the supported flac, wav, aac, ogg or wma formats. Is this serious for a $299 device?

radish
2006-09-26, 10:48
Lets hope they are interested in fixing this tag bug, but I dought it. In my opinion these kind of companies (Slim Devices, Roku Labs, Cowon, iRiver) are not serious from a customer perspective.

You have got to be kidding. I have never found a company more customer focussed than SD. I don't know or care about the others you mention, but your allegation is plainly false regarding SD.

before you know it the vendors are focsuing on new products and the old ones are forgotten and left out in the cold.

Which is why SD still support the very first product they ever made (in 2001)? Not just with bug fixes but with software updates to improve usability and reliability? The vast majority of SD features are in the server and they work with all the different hardware devices, new and old.

I would say that it is only major bugs that that will be fixed and in this world it means mp3 related ones, forget about the other formats.

False. The best supported format at the moment is FLAC, not mp3. FLAC playback supports FF/REW, full tagging, ReplayGain and gapless playback. Slimserver doesn't currently support all that for any other format that I'm aware of.

For example, in the SB 3 owner's guide it says that fast forward and rewind is supported. To this day these functions are still not working with wma files, but with mp3 files they do.
Not just mp3, it works with Vorbis, FLAC and PCM too. But you're right - there is a bug with WMA, one which I wasn't aware of. In case anyone wants to vote for it it's here : http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=571

I believe there's a currently a similar issue with Vorbis FF/REW. They'll get fixed.

luga00
2006-10-04, 01:58
I just received notification that this may now be fixed as of 4th Oct nightly. (bug #4215).

The windows .exe and .zip downloads don't seem to be up yet however.
r

Flamingo
2006-10-04, 02:53
I've tested it in the latest nightly build and it's fixed.

Thanks guys.

luga00
2006-10-04, 03:40
Yes it works, and the zip and exe downloads are now up also.

radish
2006-10-04, 07:17
Cue Than with the apology... :)

Oh, and BTW, I got hit by this bug too. Glad to see it resolved.

tomsi42
2006-10-04, 08:54
I've tested it in the latest nightly build and it's fixed.

Thanks guys.

Ditto here.