PDA

View Full Version : Uninstall Slimserver 6.3 prior to installing 6.5

babi8987
2006-09-21, 18:56
I would like to know if it would be wise to uninstall Slimserver 6.3 prior to installing 6.5?
I am concerned of carrying over any problems left by v.6.3.
If I uninstall would it be wise to go into Regedit and clean out any references to Slimserver?

Thanks,
Steve

jeffluckett
2006-09-21, 19:20
Don't consider this an "official answer", but I would say that it'd be best to un-install the 6.3 before installing 6.5.

The only reason I could think of that you wouldn't want to do this is A. you don't want to do a rescan or B. you don't want to reinstall your plugins.

However ... since they're moving from sqllite to MySQL on this release, you'll need to rescan anyway, and most of your 6.3 plugins won't be compatible with 6.5. So, reasons A&B are out the door.

So ... with that said ... uninstall, and do a clean install, and avoid any possible "version poisoning" that could occur by installing 6.5 over 6.x. Frankly, I think they could've made the install for 6.5 a little "smarter", but I think they rushed the release due to the need to supporth the high-dollar transporter they're currently shipping to consumers, and needs 6.5 to run.

Kyle
2006-09-21, 19:32
Frankly, I think they could've made the install for 6.5 a little "smarter", but I think they rushed the release due to the need to supporth the high-dollar transporter they're currently shipping to consumers, and needs 6.5 to run.

I guess that would explain why we're seeing so many problems.

Skunk
2006-09-21, 19:47
I uninstalled through add/remove programs in win2K, and deleted the Program files>Slimserver directory, before installing any 6.5's. I don't usually mess w/ the registry for updating apps, but I do usually uninstall the old...

Slimserver is running better than ever for me. I'm starting to feel a little guilty though! Maybe it's because I don't use anti-virus or plugins?