PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 bugs?

MrSinatra
2006-09-21, 15:28
i assume these are bugs and if i'm wrong, i assume someone will tell me.

some artwork isn't scaling down in thumbnail view.

in interfaces:

"fishbone" where it says "home" when i roll my mouse over, it changes to albums. i can't then get to home. its like an old www practical joke for anyone who recalls...

then, big problems. i changed to default 2, and now i can't see my music or get to the server or player settings page.

(server settings link displays this on left)

404 Not Found: setup.html
Try adding page=SERVER_SETTINGS.

(player settings link displays this on left)

browse albums says this:

Home ARRAY(0x471bc64)
1541 albums with 18753 songs by 4971 artists.

and no albums are listed.

so, what do i do now??? i'm stuck in default 2 and can't get out of it.

this is a bit disappointing.

jeffluckett
2006-09-21, 15:38
I can help you with a couple of these..

"fishbone" where it says "home" when i roll my mouse over, it changes to albums. i can't then get to home. its like an old www practical joke for anyone who recalls...

"Home" is a slightly different concept in the Fishbone skin. "Home" refers to the section you have in the drop-down box, hence the reason it changes when you hover over the mouse.

I agree this is a bit confusing, took me a while to get used to, but overall Fisbone is my favorite skin.

You can get to the other options you may be looking for at "Home" by clicking the "Help" link.

then, big problems. i changed to default 2, and now i can't see my music or get to the server or player settings page.

(server settings link displays this on left)

(player settings link displays this on left)

browse albums says this:

Home ARRAY(0x471bc64)
1541 albums with 18753 songs by 4971 artists.

and no albums are listed.

so, what do i do now??? i'm stuck in default 2 and can't get out of it.

this is a bit disappointing.

Sometimes when you switch skins, stuff gets all goofed up in the browser cache. If you are on a PC, hit CTRL+F5 simultaneously to force the browser to fully refresh, not use its local cached copy.

See KDF's comment below about default2 being discontinued and having been carried over from your previous install. In that case, ignore my ctrl+f5 suggestion, as that will not help with making default2 work.

If all else fails, you can get to any other skin by simply specifying it in the address bar like so.

http://[server_ip]:9000/[skin_name]

So to get to default:
http://[server_ip]:9000/default

Hope this helps!

kdf
2006-09-21, 15:40
Quoting MrSinatra <MrSinatra.2eia7z1158877801 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> i assume these are bugs and if i'm wrong, i assume someone will tell
> me.
>
> some artwork isn't scaling down in thumbnail view.
>
> in interfaces:
>
> "fishbone" where it says "home" when i roll my mouse over, it changes
> to albums. i can't then get to home. its like an old www practical
> joke for anyone who recalls...

there is no 'home' page for fishbone. nothing new there, nor for the
behaviour of that link.

>
> then, big problems. i changed to default 2, and now i can't see my
> music or get to the server or player settings page.

http://serverip:9000/default

default2 is dumped, but got left over from your 6.3 install.
known bug (4171)

-kdf

chiphart
2006-09-21, 15:45
> so, what do i do now??? i'm stuck in default 2 and can't get out of
> it.

localhost:9000/default
localhost:9000/fishbone
localhost:9000/nokia770
localhost:9000/whatever

...will reset you to the skin of your choice.

No need to be disappointed.

--
Chip Hart - Pediatric Solutions * Physician's Computer Company
chip @ pcc.com * 1 Main St. #7, Winooski, VT 05404
800-722-7708 * http://www.pcc.com/~chip
f.802-846-8178 * Pediatric Software Just Got Smarter.
Your Practice Just Got Healthier.

MrSinatra
2006-09-21, 15:53
thx alot jeff et al, all GREAT info.

the ctrl -refresh didn't work, but by going back to default directly, it did.

i don't like the way i can't get to the real home in fishbone, but yeah, its probably the best looking skin. i don't see how to get to player settings either btw.

also, some of my artwork is not scaling down to 130 pixels. so some images look way large.

is this a skin or SS issue?

some skins are displaying my album art as a single column.

(and while not serious, the default 2 bug is a bit disappointing)

shabbs
2006-09-21, 15:58
i don't see how to get to player settings either btw.
There's a settings link right above the player's side of the skin on the right.

When I switched to fishbone, I had to spend a bit of time getting used to where everything was. I really like it. Explore away.

Cheers.

jeffluckett
2006-09-21, 15:58
thx alot jeff et al, all GREAT info.

the ctrl -refresh didn't work, but by going back to default directly, it did.

i don't like the way i can't get to the real home in fishbone, but yeah, its probably the best looking skin. i don't see how to get to player settings either btw.

also, some of my artwork is not scaling down to 130 pixels. so some images look way large.

is this a skin or SS issue?

(and while not serious, the default 2 bug is a bit disappointing)

Player settings are on the top-right above the "now playing" section and player controls.

Not really sure about the album art thing ... all my art is already at 130px, so no scaling necessary, so I'll let someone else address that.

kdf
2006-09-21, 15:59
Quoting MrSinatra <MrSinatra.2eibdn1158879301 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> thx alot jeff et al, all GREAT info.
>
> the ctrl -refresh didn't work, but by going back to default directly,
> it did.
>
> i don't like the way i can't get to the real home in fishbone, but
> yeah, its probably the best looking skin. i don't see how to get to
> player settings either btw.

you don't need 'home'. Everything is listed in the pulldown as far as
radio, Browse and Plugin lniks. Help links are under Help. Server
settings are at teh top of the left side, player settings are at the
top of the right side just above and to the right of the player
selection.

> also, some of my artwork is not scaling down to 130 pixels. so some
> images look way large.
>
> is this a skin or SS issue?

if it is only SOME images, likely it's an image issue. The server now
does the scaling of images (some ppl complained that the browser
scaling was bush-league), but it has limits as to the exact formats
that it can deal with.

simplest fix is to grab some different images for the problem artwork files.
-kdf

JJZolx
2006-09-21, 16:20
I recall seeing this in Internet Explorer at different points during the beta testing while using the Default skin. I'm not sure what caused it and it was always fine in Firefox.

FWIW, I have a *lot* of problems switching between skins in both IE and Firefox. Elements of the skin - whether images or CSS - seem to get hung up in the browser caches. I have no problem, though, if I explicitly designate the skin in the URL, as

http://192.168.9.3:9000/fishbone/

I stick to one skin now and only use the above form of URL to view the others. It's not worth the headaches caused by switching skins.

MrSinatra
2006-09-22, 06:34
thx again guys... i agree, switching skins is not elegant yet, unless done directly via url. i've had similar problems with it b4 the default 2 issue.

you don't need 'home'. Everything is listed in the pulldown as far as radio, Browse and Plugin lniks. Help links are under Help. Server settings are at teh top of the left side, player settings are at the top of the right side just above and to the right of the player selection.

> also, some of my artwork is not scaling down to 130 pixels. so some
> images look way large.
>
> is this a skin or SS issue?

if it is only SOME images, likely it's an image issue. The server now
does the scaling of images (some ppl complained that the browser
scaling was bush-league), but it has limits as to the exact formats
that it can deal with.

simplest fix is to grab some different images for the problem artwork files.
-kdf

its not really a question of "need" i simply like to have the home page... and its a bit odd that one would have a link called home, that doesn't go to home, and changes to somewhere else with a rollover. why display "home" at all if it doesn't exist and changes with a rollover anyway? i just don't get it i guess. that said, i do like the skins looks.

i am very interested in hearing what you mean about 'problem artwork files.'

how is this possible? i have told SS to use "Folder.jpg" for all my thumbnails, and then scale them all down to 130pixels. the ones that aren't doing so are working jpgs otherwise... what is it that is 'wrong' with them?

thx, -mdw

shabbs
2006-09-22, 07:03
its not really a question of "need" i simply like to have the home page... and its a bit odd that one would have a link called home, that doesn't go to home, and changes to somewhere else with a rollover. why display "home" at all if it doesn't exist and changes with a rollover anyway? i just don't get it i guess.
The "home" link is dynamic for the fishbone skin. It changes depending on how you set it. This flexibility in the skin is what makes it great.

Personally, I love the "undock" feature. Very cool.

Cheers.

aubuti
2006-09-22, 07:34
Or to look at it another way, in Fishbone, you're already home! Except if you're in one of the search screens (Advanced Search and Search Music), Tune In URL, Switch to SqueezeNetwork, or Statistics. In those cases 'home' is the last browse screen you were at.

Personally, the Fishbone skin is too busy for my tastes, but it does a nice job of implementing a couple great ideas, like undocking the player and the dropdown menu in place of a 'home' page. Why go back to a home page to go to another menu (eg, Browse Albums to Favorites) when you can save step by picking the new destination directly from the dropdown? That's especially a nice touch when running slimserver on a NAS or otherwise under-powered computer. But to each his own.

jeffluckett
2006-09-22, 07:40
Or to look at it another way, in Fishbone, you're already home! Except if you're in one of the search screens (Advanced Search and Search Music), Tune In URL, Switch to SqueezeNetwork, or Statistics. In those cases 'home' is the last browse screen you were at.

Personally, the Fishbone skin is too busy for my tastes, but it does a nice job of implementing a couple great ideas, like undocking the player and the dropdown menu in place of a 'home' page. Why go back to a home page to go to another menu (eg, Browse Albums to Favorites) when you can save step by picking the new destination directly from the dropdown? That's especially a nice touch when running slimserver on a NAS or otherwise under-powered computer. But to each his own.

I definitely agree that Fishbone isn't perfect. But I like it best for "day-to-day" use when I'm playing music, etc... However, I'll drop down to the DEFAULT skin when I want to do things like edit settings and stuff. So, I guess I'm 95% fishbone and 5% default.

shabbs
2006-09-22, 07:41
Personally, the Fishbone skin is too busy for my tastes
I thought so too when I first looked at it. I was like "wow that's busy". But now that I've spent some time with it and got to know it, it's all I use.

Cheers.

MrSinatra
2006-10-02, 15:18
i am very interested in hearing what you mean about 'problem artwork files.'

how is this possible? i have told SS to use "Folder.jpg" for all my thumbnails, and then scale them all down to 130pixels. the ones that aren't doing so are working jpgs otherwise... what is it that is 'wrong' with them?

thx, -mdw

KDF, can you please expound on what you meant? i don't understand how its possible.

kdf
2006-10-02, 15:29
Quoting MrSinatra <MrSinatra.2f2n3b1159827601 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

> KDF, can you please expound on what you meant? i don't understand how
> its possible.
>
jpeg format supports many different options (progressive, compression
factor, etc). GD, the library used to resize artwork doesn't appear
to support all
options. It is also possible to have a case where an PNG formatted
image has been saved as JPG. Image viewers can likely deal with that,
but GD doesn't support all formats that might get mistakenly named
(possibly even at the source). As such, they simply don't resize.

so back to my suggestion:
Try grabbing a different file for the artwork and rescanning with that.

just a tip. try it. might work, might not.
-k