PDA

View Full Version : "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost:9000."

Kyle
2006-09-21, 14:46
This is what I get after upgrading to 6.5. Using Windows XP Pro. I tried to upgrade last week to the beta and got the same thing. I thought the final version wouldn't have this problem. Need help, please!

jeffluckett
2006-09-21, 15:44
First, are you on the same machine as SlimServer is installed on? If not, then you need to use the IP address of the other machine instead of localhost.

Second, if you are on the same machine, are you certain that SlimServer is running? Check the task manager under "Processes" for slim.exe ... make sure the "show processes for all users" is checked.

Assuming you are on the same machine and Slim.exe is running, try typing http://127.0.0.1:9000 and see if that loads.

Kyle
2006-09-21, 19:30
Yes, running on the same machine. The problem seems to be that Slimserver keeps cutting off, so that each time I try a command (like scan or search), it cuts off and then firefox says it can't connect.

EDIT: Returning to 6.3. I'll monitor the boards to see if my problem is addressed.

jeffluckett
2006-09-21, 20:10
Try doing an un-install and then a re-install using 6.5.

Most of the 6.3 plugins aren't compatible with 6.5, and they aren't removed on install either, so that might explain your crashing.

6.5 is worth the upgrade, and it's running strong on my windows box. But 6.3 and 6.5 don't play nice.

Kyle
2006-09-22, 06:31
Does the Windows installer not uninstall 6.3? I can try it manually, and I do use some plugins -- SuperDateTime, LazySearch and Moose. Moose is in a separate folder, so I wouldn't think it would intefere. Do you know anything specifically about the others?

bpa
2006-09-22, 07:01
Do you still have an entry for localhost in your hosts file ? Some security software remove it.

rick's cafe
2006-09-22, 07:29
I initialy suffered from the same issue as you and found that a full uninstall will help

you are best off to do a full uninstall , then delete the slim folder in you program directory... also make sure to remove all 6.3 plugins.. you will need to download new plugins which are compatible with 6.5

jeffluckett
2006-09-22, 07:35
Does the Windows installer not uninstall 6.3? I can try it manually, and I do use some plugins -- SuperDateTime, LazySearch and Moose. Moose is in a separate folder, so I wouldn't think it would intefere. Do you know anything specifically about the others?

Any 6.3 plugin could potentially cause an issue. No, the installer doesn't un-install previous versions, it simply overwrites old files that already exist with the new version, and adds new ones when necessary. So, you'll end up with old skins that may have been discontinued (like default2) and any plugins you had in your plugins folder.

It would be nice if the installer would 'disable' any existing plugins at the very least ... especially in this case where old plugins are causing crashes, and they're not telling folks that it's best to do a fresh install.

Anyway ... if you do a complete un-install, and a fresh install (make sure you delete or rename the slimserver folder in "Program Files") you will probably not have any issues at all.

I've been running 6.5 since just before they split off the trunk for 7.0, and have been very happy with it, so it's worth the trouble to make it work.