PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 - no sound at all

ModelCitizen
2006-09-21, 13:21
I've been running the 6.5 betas nightlies with very few problems.
Tonight I installed the 6.5 full release and updated the firmware. Since then I've had no sound at all.
The VU meter on my Squeezebox2 doesn't register any audio although apart from that the display is normal and looks like music is being played, my headphone socket is quiet. I've tried running Softsqueeze locally and still no sound.
I've tried flacs and mp3s and Internet radio. Still no sound. I've rebooted everything to no avail.
flac.exe and lame.exe appear to be running but are not using any processor power.

I haven't a clue what to do now.

I did keep my slimserver.pref and types.conf from my last beta installation, but I have now tried getting the thing to work with the ones from the new full release and also my saved files. Still no sound.

This on XP.

Any suggestions as to what I should do would be very welcome indeed.

MC

oreillymj
2006-09-21, 15:14
I've seen some weird issue where the SB and server get's out of synch. The power is off on the SB according to the web UI, but the player is actually on.

Using the Web UI to send a power off/on combo got the SB back in synch with the server.

If that doesn't work, I'd try a hardware reset. Hold down Add on the remote while cycling the power.

ModelCitizen
2006-09-22, 00:30
I've seen some weird issue where the SB and server get's out of synch. The power is off on the SB according to the web UI, but the player is actually on.
Using the Web UI to send a power off/on combo got the SB back in synch with the server.
If that doesn't work, I'd try a hardware reset. Hold down Add on the remote while cycling the power.
Thanks for this but I'm sorry I do not understand what you mean by "send a power off/on combo from the web UI". I tried a factory reset of the Squeezebox just in case but as expected no joy.

The problem seems to be that SlimServer is not outputting any audio at all, so no players work (software or hardware). Lame and Flac processes appear to be running but are using no cpu cycles so I assume are not receiving any info from SlimServer. I've tried running the software with various debug switches enabled but the log is just blank. Event viewer is similarly uninformative. I've checked all my settings and all apear to be OK.
I gues the next step is a clean reinstall, but I am getting fed up with the time it takes to reconfigure the software and plugins every time I upgrade/reinstall, so would like to avoid this.

Does anyone have any idea which debug switches to use?

Cheers
MC

oreillymj
2006-09-24, 05:20
From the web UI, click on the power off button to switch the affected player off. Then switch it on. I've seen occasions when the player & server get mixed up. The server thinks the player is off and does not stream music to it, even though the player appears to the user to be on.

Mark Lanctot
2006-09-28, 16:55
Have you tried reprogamming the Xilinx?

Press and hold "1" while power-cycling (unplug/replug).

Ramage
2006-09-28, 22:39
Model Citizen, have you fixed it?

I had a similar event when I had no analogue output from SB3, even though all other indications were normal, when I reverted to FW 55 from FW64 when I reconnected to slimserver v6.3.1 after testing on v6.5.0.

I managed to restore the outputs by reloading FW64.

So your problem could be FW.

ModelCitizen
2006-09-29, 03:23
I have fixed it. I had to do a complete and clean reinstall of 6.5 (deleting my SlimServer folder after uninstallation but saving saving my plugins folder, cache folder, slimserver.pref, types.conf and convert.conf, so no arduous reconfiguration required afterwards).
Thanks for the help.
MC

Ramage
2006-09-29, 08:08
Thanks for info