PDA

View Full Version : Hifi over wifi

bungle3
2006-09-21, 05:51
I want to be able to set up a system where i am able to play my cd collection from my laptop over a wireless network to my hifi.
I have looked around and one possibility is to use a squeesebox.
Only i want to controle what music is being played from the laptop not the squeezebox.
My idea was to use winamp and shoutcast to set up like a radio station to broadcast over the network. Can anyone suggest anything else?
Can the squeezebox be configured to automatically connect to the station i have created once turned on? As the network will not be connected to the internet. I just don't want to have to configure the squeezebox each time its turned on.

ceejay
2006-09-21, 06:17
Hi

You may be making this much more complicated than you need to. If you have slimserver running on your laptop, connected to an SB3, you can easily take control of what is being played using the laptop. You can use your normal web browser, or some alternate dedicated applications if you prefer (Moose, for one).

Try downloading slimserver and then play around with the softsqueeze software emulator that comes with it. Its free!

See also http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuide

Ceejay

smc2911
2006-09-21, 15:46
Slimserver can even be running on another machine rather than tha laption and you can still control everything from the laptop.

bungle3
2006-09-21, 16:08
Many thanks. Just given it a try and its much simpler to the way i thought of solving the problem. Seems like these squeezeboxes can do almost anything!

jeffluckett
2006-09-21, 16:18
Many thanks. Just given it a try and its much simpler to the way i thought of solving the problem. Seems like these squeezeboxes can do almost anything!

It gets even better. There's skins that are optimized for handheld devices, so If you've got a wifi card for your PDA, or look into one of those Nokia770 devices, the laptop even drops out of the picture.

Another option (that I'm currently looking into), is to get a touch-screen and run your browser in kiosk mode. There's even a skin that's set up for touch-screen use.

Currently, my setup is SlimServer running in a box in the basement. Squeezebox 3 connected wirelessly. Optical out to my main receiver, and analog out to a receiver in another room.

I when listening on my "main" receiver, I control the SB with the remote, and when I'm in the other room, I use a laptop ... or the pc in another adjacent room. Ideally, I'll have my touch-screen set up here so I don't need to fire up my laptop or go to the other pc to control SB when in the "secondary" listening area.