PDA

View Full Version : Can No Longer Connect

WrightDawg
2006-09-20, 21:50
I'm running a SB3 and have been going great since last Xmas. Tonight it started to skip and generally not play at all. I updated the firmware on the Sqeezebox and now the player will not connect at all. I'm only running the windows firewall and I have the exception for port 3483.

My internet is running fine overall so it shouldn't be the router. I have absolutely no idea. It's like the SB3's wireless functionality has gone up in smoke.

Any ideas of what this could be? I'd appreciate your help.

Thanks!

WrightDawg
2006-09-20, 21:54
Even more concern. I have a SB1 in my bedroom and it's working great. It's only the SB3 that will not connect. Uh Oh.

NY2006
2006-09-20, 22:37
"I'm running a SB3 and have been going great since last Xmas. Tonight it started to skip and generally not play at all. I updated the firmware on the Sqeezebox and now the player will not connect at all. I'm only running the windows firewall and I have the exception for port 3483.

My internet is running fine overall so it shouldn't be the router. I have absolutely no idea. It's like the SB3's wireless functionality has gone up in smoke.

Thanks!"

I had the same experience...after updating firmware would not connect...then I checked the settings which required the new pin to be enter at Squeezebox Network as the message said needs to be linked to Player..try this it should work.

danco
2006-09-20, 23:12
Could a neighbour just have installed a wireless network using the same channel and causing interference?

geraint smith
2006-09-21, 02:49
"I'm running a SB3 and have been going great since last Xmas. Tonight it started to skip and generally not play at all. I updated the firmware on the Sqeezebox and now the player will not connect at all. I'm only running the windows firewall and I have the exception for port 3483.

Thanks!"

I had the same experience...after updating firmware would not connect...then I checked the settings which required the new pin to be enter at Squeezebox Network as the message said needs to be linked to Player..try this it should work.

I am having the same problem, but I'm afraid I do not understand this solution. What settings, where? What "pin"? The WPA password? Where does this message about the need to link to the player appear? I'm getting one (on the SB2) that says, simply, "cannot connect to network". And on the web interface, I'm getting "cannot find a player". It was all working so well before the software/firmware updates! I'd appreciate your help, too!

NY2006
2006-09-21, 04:37
"I am having the same problem, but I'm afraid I do not understand this solution. What settings, where? What "pin"? The WPA password? Where does this message about the need to link to the player appear? I'm getting one (on the SB2) that says, simply, "cannot connect to network". And on the web interface, I'm getting "cannot find a player". It was all working so well before the software/firmware updates! I'd appreciate your help, too!"

from the Squeezeboox remote..go into settings look for Player pin then on your pc go Squeezebox Network website delete old player name there create the name or different player name and put the pin code you saw at settings. Hope this helps.

geraint smith
2006-09-21, 07:05
"I am having the same problem, but I'm afraid I do not understand this solution. What settings, where? What "pin"? The WPA password? Where does this message about the need to link to the player appear? I'm getting one (on the SB2) that says, simply, "cannot connect to network". And on the web interface, I'm getting "cannot find a player". It was all working so well before the software/firmware updates! I'd appreciate your help, too!"

from the Squeezeboox remote..go into settings look for Player pin then on your pc go Squeezebox Network website delete old player name there create the name or different player name and put the pin code you saw at settings. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the try, but although it looked as though it should have done, it didn't. The problem, I think, is earlier in the sequence than this, and appears to be to do with password recognition for the wireless network (Airport, in my case). It was asking for the WPA2 password, then failing to connect as though the password I'd entered (four times, plus re-entering the same password in Airport Utility configuration just to make sure) was incorrect (which it wasn't!)

I've got round it by connecting the SB2 by ethernet to my Airport Express, which handles the password for it, and telling it that it is connected to an ethernet network, not a wireless one. However, this still leaves the question of why the SB2 apparently couldn't send the WPA2 password properly itself.

NY2006
2006-09-21, 07:37
"I've got round it by connecting the SB2 by ethernet to my Airport Express, which handles the password for it, and telling it that it is connected to an ethernet network, not a wireless one. However, this still leaves the question of why the SB2 apparently couldn't send the WPA2 password properly itself."

For the wireless connection you might want to try to change the password for your wireless connection as I had a similar situation and changing the password solved the problem then.

geraint smith
2006-09-21, 13:54
"I've got round it by connecting the SB2 by ethernet to my Airport Express, which handles the password for it, and telling it that it is connected to an ethernet network, not a wireless one. However, this still leaves the question of why the SB2 apparently couldn't send the WPA2 password properly itself."

For the wireless connection you might want to try to change the password for your wireless connection as I had a similar situation and changing the password solved the problem then.

Thank you again. In the end, (and before seeing your note, I have to say), I did it the other way round: rather than fiddle about with the whole network, I used the working ethernet/Airport Express connection to reinstal the firmware (in effect resetting the machine). That appeared to clear the password problem and all is now working as it should. Once again, many thanks for your help.

WrightDawg
2006-09-21, 14:03
Well I spent a couple of hours last night trying to figure this one out. I updated the firmware on my SB3 as well as my SB1. Still my SB3 could not connect. Finally in desperation I unplugged the SB3, plugged it back in and it immediately told me to update the firmware (which I had already done). It updated it again (or at least updated the same firmware a second time) and voila! it worked like a charm. No more stuttering, no more connection issues.

I can't account for the cause but the simple and desperate act of just unplugging the SB3 did the trick. Good luck to the rest of you with the same issue. Maybe this will work for you too?