PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 won't stay running

miguelk
2006-09-20, 19:45
It starts, then stops, then starts, then stops for good. How do I download 6.3 again...?

kdf
2006-09-20, 19:59
On 20-Sep-06, at 7:45 PM, miguelk wrote:

>
> It starts, then stops, then starts, then stops for good. How do I
>
What OS are you running? Are there messages in the log/event viewer
when it stops?
If you have any third party plugins installed, try getting rid of them
or making sure you have updated versions.

as for downloading older versions, you can surely find that via search
on the forum.
its already been answered many times in the past.
-kdf

dean
2006-09-20, 20:00
Old downloads are available from

http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/

But I'd love to understand and fix the problem you are having. Can
you tell us what operating system your computer is running? If it's
a windows machine, it would be great to know what your System Event
log has recorded about SlimServer.

-dean

bgriffis
2006-09-21, 04:22
I experienced a problem with this too. I had been listening to music for about 15 minutes when it suddenly stopped. When I came upstairs SlimServer was in a stopped state.

I run WinXP SP2 (Pro Edition). In the Windows Event Log I have event ID 7036 with message, "The SlimServer service entered the stopped state." Is there something else I should look at? That doesn't tell me anymore than I already knew!

After this occurred I double-clicked the SlimServer icon in the tray and it started running again. I listened to another 45 minutes of music without any problems. Hopefully that was just a one time fluke, but I thought I'd post in case other people are having issues too.

Brad

chaz
2006-09-21, 07:27
Restarting my pc is the only way to get the server running again. It will run for a time after that but eventually SlimServer crashes while browsing around in the interface.

XP Pro and no plugins installed.

Here are the errors I'm seeing in the event logs:

"Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 9/21/2006
Time: 10:21:24 AM
User: N/A
Computer: DESK
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Perl interpreter failed."

__________________________________________________ _____________

"Event Type: Error
Time: 9:05:41 AM
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Carp::Clan::__ANON__(): Error executing 'SELECT me.id, me.url, me.content_type, me.title, me.titlesort, me.titlesearch, me.album, me.tracknum, me.timestamp, me.filesize, me.disc, me.thumb, me.remote, me.audio, me.audio_size, me.audio_offset, me.year, me.secs, me.cover, me.vbr_scale, me.bitrate, me.samplerate, me.samplesize, me.channels, me.block_alignment, me.endian, me.bpm, me.tagversion, me.drm, me.moodlogic_id, me.moodlogic_mixable, me.musicmagic_mixable, me.musicbrainz_id, me.playcount, me.lastplayed, me.lossless, me.lyrics, me.rating, me.replay_gain, me.replay_peak FROM tracks me JOIN albums album ON ( album.id = me.album ) WHERE ( me.audio = ? ) GROUP BY me.id ORDER BY concat('0', contributor.namesort),concat('0', album.titlesort) LIMIT 50': DBD::mysql::st execute failed: Unknown column 'contributor.namesort' in 'order clause' at C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 771."

dennisd
2006-09-21, 09:00
6.5 is crashing for me too. Windows XP Pro. This is the event data:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Carp::Clan::__ANON__(): Error executing 'SELECT contributor.id, contributor.name, contributor.namesort, contributor.moodlogic_id, contributor.moodlogic_mixable, contributor.musicmagic_mixable, contributor.namesearch, contributor.musicbrainz_id FROM contributor_track me JOIN contributors contributor ON ( contributor.id = me.contributor ) WHERE ( ( ( role IN ( ? ) ) AND ( me.track = ? ) ) ) GROUP BY contributor.id ORDER BY role desc': DBD::mysql::st execute failed: Can't create/write to file 'C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\#sql_158_0.MYI' (Errcode: 13) at C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 771.

Dan Sully
2006-09-21, 09:14
chaz:

What are you browsing to? Albums? Artists -> Albums?

And what is your Album Sort drop down set to?

dennisd:

This is a known issue. Please have your virus scanner ignore the .MYI extension, or the entire C:\Windows\Temp directory.

dennisd
2006-09-21, 10:03
Dan,
YES!! Ignoring *.MYI in the virus checker solved my problem. Thanks mate, owe you a Pint if you make it to England (or in Seattle if I make it back there first!). (15 minute response from Dan, not bad!). I bet this bites a lot of people, did I miss something?

I have convinced my 4th friend to order one yesterday, we should both feel good!
Dennis

chaz
2006-09-21, 11:31
chaz:

What are you browsing to? Albums? Artists -> Albums?

And what is your Album Sort drop down set to?

dennisd:

This is a known issue. Please have your virus scanner ignore the .MYI extension, or the entire C:\Windows\Temp directory.
It seems to happen when I'm browsing Albums with the album sort set to Artist, Albums.

Yup, that seems to be what makes it crash. I'll experiment and see if I can get it to do down some other ways.

Thanks,
Chaz

chaz
2006-09-21, 11:40
To elaborate, it also crashes when the sort is set to Artist, Year, Album.
Also, when in "Artist, Album" view the browsing get's really funky.....if I go to the end of the aphabet nothing is listed at all.

Also, no matter what view is selected, the Album and Artist counts (but not the song counts) get all messed up when browsing by Album.

Chaz

Patrick Dixon
2006-09-21, 13:18
Also, when in "Artist, Album" view the browsing get's really funky.....if I go to the end of the aphabet nothing is listed at all.

Also, no matter what view is selected, the Album and Artist counts (but not the song counts) get all messed up when browsing by Album.

These are known bugs.

chaz
2006-09-21, 13:46
I just crashed again while set to view by album only. This was shorty after switching to the Fishbone skin. Here's the error:

Event Type: Error
Time: 4:42:45 PM
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Perl interpreter failed.

ehlarson
2006-09-21, 15:39
I run a Centos 4.4 Linux server (RedHat Enterprise 4 clone). Slimserver 6.3.1 has been running ok for me - I downloaded the 6.5.0 RPM and -Uvh 'ed it. When I service slimserver start I get an ok message but then immediately thereafter it dies.

I went to slimserver.pl and ran it there and now I get:

2006-09-21 18:34:02.2154 ERROR: MySQLHelper: startServer() Couldn't find a executable for 'mysqld'! This is a fatal error. Exiting.

which is of course hooey because I have mysqld in /etc/init.d and mysql is running fine - mysqld (pid 3210) is running...

Any ideas?

chaz
2006-09-21, 18:29
I've gone back to 6.3.1 for the time being.

benh
2006-09-21, 20:06
ehlarson,

If you want to use your existing mysql instance, create a database for slimserver, and create a new mysql user with full permissions to that database.

Then, edit slimserver.pref and change these lines, putting the appropriate info where necessary:

dbpassword: <slimdatabaseuserpassword>
dbsource:dbi:mysql:hostname=127.0.0.1;port=3306;da tabase=<slimdatabasename>
dbusername: <slimdatabaseuser>

wickedbob
2006-09-27, 21:56
Thanks Dean for the link to previous downloads.

I have also reverted back to 6.3.1 to keep my slimserver running for longer than 15 minutes.
Got a flash new ipod on the way to replace my squeezebox - anybody interested in buying secondhand?

benslim
2006-09-28, 18:17
Installed 6.5 to have it crash. Uninstalled, deleted everything. Reinstalled, re-scanned, and it ran this morning. Come home, and it's stopped. Why? It's shutting itself down for some reason. 6.3.1 ran fine - none of this trouble.

XP SP2

breadvan
2006-09-28, 18:35
as much as I love my SB3, got to admit 6.3 was way more stable then 6.5, especially after hearing so many stories with issues runnning the newer version, PLUS experiencing so much unknown problems myself.

mherger
2006-09-28, 20:51
> as much as I love my SB3, got to admit 6.3 was way more stable then 6.5,
> especially after hearing so many stories with issues runnning the newer
> version, PLUS experiencing so much unknown problems myself.

I don't think hearing stories and experiencing the unknown makes a
software more or less stable. I'm relying on 6.5 as my alarm clock every
day and have not been disappointed once.

As you've already tried to do a clean reinstall, please clean up the
various temporary folders on your system. There have been reports about
crashes due to left overs in there.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR