PDA

View Full Version : Slimserver 6.5 -> LinkstationII

stevos
2006-09-18, 02:20
Hi,

Has anyone succesfully installed 6.5 on a linkstation.

If so, could you give me some instructions.

I currently have 6.3.1 installed and working.

Cheers
Steve.

stevos
2006-09-19, 13:52
Anyone got any ideas?

radish
2006-09-19, 14:30
The "How To" page includes a section on upgrading. Does that work? (I have no idea - I'm not a linkstation user).

http://fieldnetworks.com/slim/linkstation3.html

aubuti
2006-09-19, 19:46
The "How To" page includes a section on upgrading. Does that work? (I have no idea - I'm not a linkstation user).

http://fieldnetworks.com/slim/linkstation3.html

Yes, it works. I'm running 6.5 on a LinkStation HD-HG, which has a different processor. The main hurdle with 6.5 is installing MySQL, and how you do that depends on how the LinkStation was "opened", i.e., was it via FreeLink, OpenLink, or some other method? The instructions will differ depending on which method was used.

stevos
2006-09-20, 00:47
I have openlink installed. Are there any instructions on how to install mySQL?

Amauta
2006-09-20, 00:48
http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Apache_w/_PHP_and_MySQL_Support_%28MIPSel%29#MySQL

stevos
2006-09-20, 01:11
Cheers

Once i have installed mysql is there anything i need to do / know about?

Michaelwagner
2006-09-20, 06:41
I seem to recall someone saying the highres date module was needed for 6.5, but I can't find the reference now. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Or was I making it up?

aubuti
2006-09-20, 07:27
I seem to recall someone saying the highres date module was needed for 6.5, but I can't find the reference now. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Or was I making it up?
I don't recall installing it on my LS, or even seeing any mention of it.

aubuti
2006-09-20, 07:29
Once i have installed mysql is there anything i need to do / know about?
Not really, besides installing 6.5 from the tarball. slimserver should find MySQL and start its own instance of it. Basically, go ahead and do the install of 6.5 as per the instructions shown and report back if you get any error messages.

stevos
2006-09-20, 07:52
Sorry stupid question time, but what is tarball?

aubuti
2006-09-20, 08:09
Sorry, sloppy jargon on my part. It's the tar.gz file that you download from slimdevices.com (eg, SlimServer_trunk_v6.5b3.tar.gz). The same thing that's mentioned on page 3 of Marc Field's slimserver installation instructions for LSs.

stevos
2006-09-20, 08:15
Okay cheers, will give it ago when i get home and will almost certainly be back with all sorts of problems.

Cheers
Steve.

aubuti
2006-09-20, 08:20
A bit of advice in advance. After extracting the slimserver archive on the LinkStation, you will probably have to build some Perl modules to get SS running. If that's the case, when you try to start slimserver it will give an error message telling you to run build-perl-modules.pl. When you do that, it will take a fairly long time on your LS, so be patient. After the script finishes you should be good to go.

stevos
2006-09-21, 15:06
Right installed mySQL without any problems (i think) and expat is already installed.

I typed in

cpan DBI DBD::SQLite XML::Parser HTML::Parser Compress::Zlib

to compile the required modules (as per http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=SlimServer_%28MIPSel%29)

It took an age but seemed to finish okay.

I then went into the slimserver directory and attempted to run slimserver and got the following error

The following modules failed to load: DBD::mysql XML::Parser::Expat Digest::SHA1 YAML::Syck

To download and compile them, please run: /mnt/slimserver/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl DBD::mysql XML::Parser::Expat Digest::SHA1 YAML::Syck

I assume i need to compile another module, but don't know how.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Steve.

stevos
2006-09-21, 15:15
okay guessed i need to type

cpan DBI DBD::mysql XML::Parser::Expat Digest::SHA1 YAML::Syck

Which brings up another module needing to be installed. Looks like i am getting there slowly.

Once they are all installed, is there any files i need to delete?

Cheers
Steve.

stevos
2006-09-21, 15:25
Damn and blast, i now get

The following modules failed to load: DBD::mysql XML::Parser::Expat YAML::Syck

To download and compile them, please run: /mnt/slimserver/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl DBD::mysql XML::Parser::Expat YAML::Syck

i have tried several times typing

cpan DBI DBD::mysql XML::Parser::Expat YAML::Syck

But at the end it just states

Running make test
Can't test without successful make
Running make install
make had returned bad status, install seems impossible

When i do the cpan DBI do i need to be in a certain directory?

p.s. i have tried it in the slimserver director.

Any help would be most gratefully received.

Cheers
Steve.

stevos
2006-09-22, 00:45
Can someone explain what CPAN does and what the DBI command is and if it is needed.

Amauta
2006-09-22, 00:50
go to your slimserver/Bin folder and use the build command:

./build-perl-modules.pl

This should build your missing modules.

stevos
2006-09-22, 00:57
Cheers, do i need to type anything after "./build-perl-modules.pl"?

bpa
2006-09-22, 00:59
CPAN is the Perl repository of lots of useful perl modules of code.

AFAICT Slimserver uses some specific versions of these modules. Some of which needs to be compiled for the user's specific system as they are written in C. Up to 6.3.1 Slimserver had these modules for Linkstation (MIPS & PPC) and include in the the tarball (the .tar.gz file).

In 6.5 I think the MIPS compiled modules have been left out - so user will have to build these themselves. I think this is the error you have.

If that is the case you have a choice - install 6.3.1 or build the 6.5 but you must have a development environment installed on your Linkstation.

To build the modules you need to run build-perl-modules.pl found in the Slimserver Bin folder. However building the 6.5 modules is a little involved and requires other files (e.g. mysql headers).

If you are not compfortable about building the modules - I'd advise waiting a few days and make a post to see if another user would make the compiled modules available to you.

aubuti
2006-09-22, 07:15
No, you shouldn't type anything after ./build-perl-modules.pl. But when you run it the first thing it will do is ask you (a) the directory of your perl executable, (b) the directory that holds slimserver, and (c) a directory where it can temporarily download packages. So be prepared with the answers for that.

But *before* you do that, as bpa mentioned you'll need to have development tools installed for the build script to work. It appears that you don't have them, so you'll have to get them from http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Precompiled_C_development_environm ent%2C_running_on_the_LS. Follow the directions for MIPSel. Once you've done this you'll have a C compiler, make, and other tools you'll need to build modules in the future. IOW you won't have to repeat installation of the dev tools when you upgrade (but you *will* have to build new perl modules each time you upgrade).

Hope this helps.

stevos
2006-09-22, 07:54
Many thanks to everyone. I will give it ago when i get home tonight.

stevos
2006-09-22, 10:52
when i do ./build-perl-module

it brings up the following error

Couldn't find a valid dynamic library for DBI-1.50.tar.gz - something is wrong. Exiting!

Have i missed something or is this normal.

By the way slimserver still brings up the same error message.

aubuti
2006-09-22, 11:12
No, it's not normal. Did you install the development tools? Also, if possible, it's usually more helpful for debugging if you post the entire console output, rather than a single line. That can give hints of problems encountered earlier in the process.

stevos
2006-09-22, 12:27
Firstly the dev tools are installed, and i have tried reinstalling just in case.

I had to run the build-perl-module.pl from the main slimserver director because running it from the Bin director didn't work. Therefore i typed

/mnt/slimserver/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl

And it started running. The full set of commands that came in the screen are as follows.

Welcome to the Slim Devices perl module installer.

These packages are needed for SlimServer to function.
You will need a C compiler (gcc), make, and perl installed.

You will need development libraries for MySQL. eg: libmysqlclient

You will need development libraries for expat. eg: libexpat1-dev

*** Ignore any warnings about AppConfig. ***

Please enter a perl binary to use (defaults to /usr/bin/perl)
This must be the same perl binary that you ran this program with -->
Please enter a directory to download files to -->
Downloads will use lwp to fetch tarballs.

Downloading Compress-Zlib-1.41.tar.gz to: /mnt/slimserver
Uncompressing..
Configuring..
/usr/bin/perl Makefile.PL
Up/Downgrade complete.
Building..
cc: Internal error: Bus error (program as)
Please submit a full bug report.
See <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
For Debian GNU/Linux specific bug reporting instructions,
see <URL:file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-3.3/README.Bugs>.

make: *** [Zlib.o] Error 1
Couldn't find a valid dynamic library for Compress-Zlib-1.41.tar.gz - something is wrong. Exiting!
root@LINKSTATION:/mnt/slimserver# cc: installation problem, cannot exec `/usr/li b/gcc-lib/mipsel-linux/3.3.5/cc1': Exec format error

Any help as always would be very welcome.

stevos
2006-09-22, 12:43
Sorry wrong error, it should have been

Welcome to the Slim Devices perl module installer.

These packages are needed for SlimServer to function.
You will need a C compiler (gcc), make, and perl installed.

*** Ignore any warnings about AppConfig. ***

Please enter a perl binary to use (defaults to /usr/bin/perl)
This must be the same perl binary that you ran this program with -->
Please enter a directory to download files to --> /tmp
Downloads will use /usr/bin/wget to fetch tarballs.

Downloading Compress-Zlib-1.41.tar.gz to: /tmp
Uncompressing..
Configuring..
Up/Downgrade complete.
Building..

make: *** [Zlib.o] Error 1
Library for Compress-Zlib-1.41.tar.gz is OK!

Downloading DBI-1.50.tar.gz to: /tmp
cc: installation problem, cannot exec `/usr/lib/gcc-lib/mipsel-linux/3.3.5/cc1': Exec format error
Uncompressing..
Configuring..

I see you're using perl 5.008007 on mipsel-linux-gnu-thread-multi, okay.
Remember to actually *read* the README file!
Use 'make' to build the software (dmake or nmake on Windows).
Then 'make test' to execute self tests.
Then 'make install' to install the DBI and then delete this working
directory before unpacking and building any DBD::* drivers.

Building..

make: *** [DBI.o] Error 1
Couldn't find a valid dynamic library for DBI-1.50.tar.gz - something is wrong. Exiting!
root@LINKSTATION:/mnt/slimserver# cc: installation problem, cannot exec `/usr/lib/gcc-lib/mipsel-linux/3.3.5/cc1': Exec format error

stevos
2006-09-23, 00:16
anyone got any ideas?

bpa
2006-09-23, 01:40
Looks like you installation of the development environment is faulty.
This message from the log says the assembler didn't work program
This message says there is something wrong with the gcc (C compiler) installations.
cc: installation problem, cannot exec `/usr/lib/gcc-lib/mipsel-linux/3.3.5/cc1': Exec format error

I'm not familiar with Linkstation so any suggestion are generic.
Did the installation of the development environment run the tests OK ?
What model Linkstation do you have ?
Could you have a PPC version of the linkstation as this was used in older linkstation I's ?

stevos
2006-09-23, 02:40
Can anyone confirm that i don't need to downgrade my version of perl to version 5.8.5?

bpa
2006-09-23, 03:31
I run 6.5 with perl 5.8.8 on a SuSe system - there were some specific perf. issues with some Perl 5.8.8 implementations on some distros but I don't think that is relevant yet.

Your error occurs before any Perl is involved - it is compiling a C program which is used later as a Perl Module.

Your previous logs shows you have a MIPS systems so it comes back to check your development environment first.

Do the commands "gcc --help" and "as --help" run and give help output ?

gbruzzo
2006-09-23, 07:31
Hello all,

sorry to barge in so late. I also have installed slimserver 6.5 on a mipsel LSII flashed with openlink 0.52b.
I have just installed the Development tools (twice..) and launched the slimserver as:

/mnt/slimserver/slimserver.pl --daemon --prefsfile /mnt/slim-data/slimserver.pref

I must be missing a number of perl modules, since the response is

The following modules failed to load: DBD::mysql Digest::SHA1 YAML::Syck

To download and compile them, please run: /mnt/slimserver/Bin/build-perl-modules
.pl DBD::mysql Digest::SHA1 YAML::Syck

so i run

/mnt/slimserver/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl DBD::mysql Digest::SHA1 YAML::Syck

from the slimserver directory.

the perl modules seem to be compiling, but I finally get this error

Configuring..
PERL5LIB=/mnt/slimserver/DBI-1.50/blib/lib:/mnt/slimserver/DBI-1.50/blib/arch /u
sr/bin/perl Makefile.PL
Can't exec "mysql_config": No such file or directory at Makefile.PL line 76.
Can't exec "mysql_config": No such file or directory at Makefile.PL line 454.
Failed to determine directory of mysql.h. Use

perl Makefile.PL --cflags=-I<dir>

to set this directory. For details see the INSTALL.html file,
section "C Compiler flags" or type

perl Makefile.PL --help
There was a problem creating Makefile - exiting!

I feel I might be missing some mysql header, as previously mentioned by bpa. How can I get hold of them?

I have tried to install Mysql as detailed in
http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Apache_w/_PHP_and_MySQL_Support_%28MIPSel%29#MySQL
yet I get evenmore errors when trying to install mysql 4.1.20 as described in the link.

Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you very much in advance,

Giacomo

Amauta
2006-09-23, 07:39
Me too have reached this point to trying to install 6.5

Recently I found this:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?ExistingMySQLInstance

Maybe this has something to do with the mysql_config errors we get.

Regards...

bpa
2006-09-23, 08:05
The file mysql.h is part of the mysql development library so you need to find something like mysql_dev or libmysqldev for Linkstation.

stevos
2006-09-24, 04:16
I reflashed my linkstation and started from stratch.

I now have the same error message as gbruzzo & Amauta, has anyone worked out what the next step is?

gbruzzo
2006-09-24, 05:29
When trying to compile the missing perl modules, one gets the following message

Does anyone know what libraries those are/where they can be found?
Is the expat development library part of a Python installation?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Giacomo

Michaelwagner
2006-09-24, 07:47
Well, I know why you need mysql (but I would have expected needing the whole package, not just the client).

expat is an xml parser. I'm not sure why that's needed.

I haven't started down this path yet ... have my HG300 sitting here burning in, hoping all you pioneers will leave bread crumbs for me to follow ....

aubuti
2006-09-24, 20:17
This might not be what anyone wants to hear, but when MySQL became central to slimserver back in May I decided that the path of least resistance was to reflash my LinkStation with FreeLink, which gives you a regular debian installation. (I had initially flashed using OpenLink.) With FreeLink/debian you get the fantastic apt-get utility, which is a big help in finding, downloading and installing packages. I can't claim that I got 6.5 installed correctly on the first try, but I have to think it was easier than if I were still running OpenLink.

Michaelwagner
2006-09-24, 20:27
That may go a long way to explaining why so many people seem to be having so much trouble.

Thanks for the heads up.

aubuti
2006-09-24, 20:44
No problem. For those who want to go the FreeLink route, there's good info at linkstationwiki.net, as well as a thread in the Linux/Unix SD forum where Dan S. walked me through a couple less-than-obvious steps.

Full disclosure: a downside to FreeLink is that it wipes out everything that came with the LinkStation. This means that you lose the Buffalo web-based mgmt interface, have to re-install Samba, etc. The linkstationwiki.net site has good how-to's on these, but I figure it's worth a word of warning.

Michaelwagner
2006-09-24, 20:53
Since I actually bought this linkstation for work, I think that tells me I won't go down that route.

Instead, having seen what I've seen, I'll buy a 400GB one for myself, and hack it instead. Safer, you know.

stevos
2006-09-25, 00:20
There are a few people on this forum that appear to have got it working using openlink so it must be possible.

I will post a full list of what i have done, later to see if anyone notices any missing steps.

Regards
Stephen.

gbruzzo
2006-09-25, 16:12
Yes Stevos, please do that. It would be helpful.

Have you tried to install MySQL on the linkstation as described in
Linkstationwiki.net?

Giacomo

stevos
2006-09-26, 02:14
Okay,

1. Flashed with openlink

2. Installed MySQL (only the mysql part) version 5.0 i believe as per

2.5 waited for hours and hours while MySQL was installed.

3. Installed Expat, by extracting it and running the following commands

./configure --prefix=/usr
make install

4. Extracted slimserver after downloading v6.5 from slimdevices website.

5. moved to the slimserver folder and typed /mnt/slimserver/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl

6. Got the error referred to earlier.

I think that is everything.

Michaelwagner
2006-09-26, 04:22
Stevos:

Did you download and install the development system? You don't mention it.

As I understand it, you (or someone) needs to build the perl modules that don't come in the default kernel.

IIRC, if you follow the Field instructions, he supplies them, but he supplies the correct ones for 6 or so, which may not be enough for 6.5. I'm not sure.

You, or someone, has to build the perl modules needed. Whoever that is has to have the development environment installed on their machine (or else a cross-chain ... ).

When you ran build-perl-modules.pl, I think you had to have the development system on your linkstation to run it. Did you?

stevos
2006-09-26, 05:29
Pretty sure i installed development tools before anything else.

stevos
2006-09-26, 05:32
Ah yes, i installed the development tools as per

http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Precompiled_C_development_environm ent%2C_running_on_the_LS

Michaelwagner
2006-09-26, 05:34
Then what you did sounds reasonable. I've not done it yet, so I'm only going by what I read.

Anyone else care to comment?

aubuti
2006-09-26, 09:48
Did you install the MySQL development libraries, as bpa mentioned a couple days ago in this thread? The specific libraries you need are mysql-server, mysql-client, mysql-common and libmysqlclient. Each has a version number, like mysql-server-5.0. (For more info, see http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=25391)

stevos
2006-09-26, 10:31
No i didn't, where can i get them and how do i install them.

aubuti
2006-09-26, 10:55
This is where FreeLink/debian and apt-get bailed me out big time. But on an OpenLink'd system I'd try linkstationwiki.net first. I just did a search for 'libmysqlclient' there and came up empty on both the main page and in the forum. But it would be worth your while to try posting to the linkstationwiki forum on this.

If that doesn't work, my next stop would be www.mysql.com. I took a quick look there and didn't see any packages for MIPS processors, although I didn't dig very hard. Sorry I can't be more help on this.

stevos
2006-09-26, 11:47
If i manage to find them, do you know how to actually install them.

Michaelwagner
2006-09-26, 12:06
IIRC, Stevos has an HG linkstation, which is a PPC box.

stevos
2006-09-26, 12:09
I don't think it is a ppc box, i am pretty sure it is a mipsel one. I have installed the mipsel openlink and dev tools so i do hope it is.

aubuti
2006-09-26, 12:12
The dev libraries will usually come in an archive package (*.tar.gz) that will include a README file or other instructions. Usually it involves extracting the files in the archive, running `./configure' (sometimes), and then running `make' and `make install'. And because the LS II processor isn't exactly built for heavy-duty compiling, it will take a while to run.

The beauty of debian's apt-get utility is that typing `apt-get install mysql-server' will find the package, download it, and install it -- done.

Michaelwagner
2006-09-26, 12:38
Stevos: I just went back through the thread. You have a linkstation II? If so, that's a MIPS processor, you're right.

Someone else had a Gigabit linkstation.

stevos
2006-09-26, 12:42
Been having a play with slimserver6.5 installed on my laptop and using the nokia770 skin on my 770 and now i really really want to get this to work.

aubuti
2006-09-26, 19:55
Someone else had a Gigabit linkstation.
Yeah, that could have been me.

stevos
2006-09-27, 12:09
Do you need PHP installed?

aubuti
2006-09-27, 13:03
No, you don't need PHP or Apache.

stevos
2006-09-27, 13:49
maybe it plain can't be done.

NBeggs
2006-09-27, 15:51
Hi,

I've been struggling with trying to install slimserver 6.5 on a mips based LS2 for a few weeks now and have got a bit further. I managed to get all the perl (CPAN) modules to compile after installing mysql using the instructions shown in an earlier post. It gave some warnings I think but finished compiling.

When I ran slimserver I got a permissions error while trying to connect to the mysql db. I followed the instructions on this forum about running slimserver using a pre-exisiting install of mysql (creating a slimserver user in mysql manually) and fiddled with the settings as detailed here :- http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?ExistingMySQLInstance

but still no joy. I added the path to the mysqld binary - has anybody else done that ?

I ended up with the same database permission errors although at least everything seemed to compile. Sorry to be all doom and gloom but I'm now converting my LS2 into a debian install following instructions here :- http://forum.linkstationwiki.net/index.php?action=vthread&forum=3&topic=23

Hope this helps somebody...

N

stevos
2006-09-28, 01:39
When you convert to debian, do you lose all the data on your shared directors. I have over 100GB of music (FLAC) currently installed and do not want to lose it.

stevos
2006-09-28, 01:41
p.s. how did you get past the following error message

The following modules failed to load: DBD::mysql Digest::SHA1 YAML::Syck

To download and compile them, please run: /mnt/slimserver/Bin/build-perl-modules
.pl DBD::mysql Digest::SHA1 YAML::Syck

where did you get the modules from?

aubuti
2006-09-28, 09:28
When you convert to debian, do you lose all the data on your shared directors. I have over 100GB of music (FLAC) currently installed and do not want to lose it.
You shouldn't lose the data on the shared directories (which are in /mnt). But when you flash the LinkStation you are effectively doing brain surgery on it, so anything could happen. I'd make a backup just in case. See if you can find anyone nearby who can spare 100GB for a few hours or days, or alternatively, you could back up your library on ~20 DVD-Rs.

stevos
2006-09-30, 04:27
I am sure i am being a little bit dense, but i can't make head nor tail of http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cg...gMySQLInstance

Could someone walk me step by step through this process.

Cheers
Steve.

Michaelwagner
2006-09-30, 06:16
And perhaps I'm being dense, but could someone please explain?

What operating system (Linux I assume) and version does the Linkstation run when you buy it?

What version do you get when you flash with OpenLink?

What version with FreeLink?

stevos
2006-09-30, 06:56
Yes it is linux, no idea what version, how do i find this out?

stevos
2006-09-30, 07:03
This could be the solution, it is meant to work with openlink and works like apt-get on a Debian system. I believe someone said they used apt-get to get slimserver working.

http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Ipkg_on_the_Linkstation_%28for_end-users%29

I have no idea how apt-get works or how you use it to install slimserver, but i assume if someone has a bit of knowledge they may be able to solve our problems.

aubuti
2006-09-30, 08:43
And perhaps I'm being dense, but could someone please explain?

What operating system (Linux I assume) and version does the Linkstation run when you buy it?

What version do you get when you flash with OpenLink?

What version with FreeLink?
When you buy a LinkStation it has some custom version of linux installed. It's not one of the common distros. Flashing with OpenLink pretty much leaves that linux installation intact, but it adds root access via telnet and ssh, which are disabled in the OS that ships. After that you can install whatever you want.

FreeLink gives you Debian. It's not the most up-to-date, but it's a recent version. For me, one of the big drawbacks of OpenLink is that no one outside of this forum or the LinkStation forum has any idea what version of linux you have running, and can't help you install MySQL or anything else. Running debian your options for different packages, and additional sources of advice, expand dramatically.

Re stevos' question on apt-get, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apt-get . Installation of MySQL using apt-get is covered in http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=MySQL_database_server%2C_installin g . You also need to install other MySQL packages mentioned earlier in this thread. Then install slimserver from the tar.gz file, also described earlier in this thread, as well as Marc Field's site.

In my case, I didn't try to get the LS to use the MySQL that I installed before installing slimserver. I just let slimserver use its own MySQL. But I needed the MySQL libraries in place to get the slimserver version to compile. I have since disabled the non-slimserver MySQL from starting at boot time, to save on memory.

Hope this helps.

Michaelwagner
2006-09-30, 08:57
Thank you, Aubuti, that goes some considerable distance to explaining my confusion.

I find that, while all the information may be there (somewhere) on the linkstationwiki web site, I seldom seem to be able to find what I want in an obvious manner.

sputte
2006-10-06, 06:34
Hi,
I've been trying to get the slimserver (6.2.2 & 6.3.1) up on my LS2 but no luck so far. It's flashed with openlink and I tried fieldnetworks howto aswell as linkstationwiki. No luck...
Shall I re-flash and start over? Any hints or suggestions on were to look for a guideline?
(posted this here since I noticed that sommme of got 6.3.1 working prior to the 6.5 headache...)

All input appriciated, Cheers // Patrik

aubuti
2006-10-06, 07:02
Reflashing and starting over might work, but it's hard to say because "no luck" doesn't give a lot of diagnostic information. Marc Field's instructions and the linkstationwiki.net site have worked for others, so if you post the errors you're getting someone might be able to help figure out where you went wrong.

Also, somewhere in this forum there's a link to a set of files that someone made available that supposedly eases the installation of 6.3.x on an LS2. I think this is the thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=25212 , but a search will definitely turn it up somewhere.

Finally, if you're thinking of reflashing and think you'll want to go to 6.5 eventually, seriously consider reflashing with FreeLink instead of OpenLink, as FreeLink's debian distro provides a much more convenient path to MySQL, which is required for slimserver 6.5.

sputte
2006-10-06, 11:02
Thanks, couldn't list all the errors I get trying to install... I'll try the script for 6.3.1.
BTW, what the main advantages of 6.5 vs 6.3.1?
I'm quite a rookie on this.
Question regarding the freelink stuff, (which I believe is handled in another thread.) If I use this instead, the LS2 will not have the web GUI (saw this earlier in the thread)?
Will the LS2 still be visible in the Win network environment?

BR // Patrik

aubuti
2006-10-08, 21:29
Yes, if you use freelink you will use the web-based management GUI that ships with the LinkStation. The best replacement is to install Webmin, which you can install via apt-get. It's more powerful, and less slick, than the stock GUI, but it works.

For the LS2 to be visible in the Win network you'll have to install Samba (also easy to do via apt-get). And you can configure Samba using Webmin. Samba is the exact same package you are using now to make shares that are visible in Windows networks; samba is one of the few software packages that come pre-installed on the LS.

Advantages of 6.5 over 6.3.1? Too numerous to list here. Check the changelog or various threads in the forum.

panamajack
2006-10-22, 09:33
hi all, have just been able to get my hands on a ls 11, and have installed freelink and all associated tools. I had the 6.3.0.3 version of slimserver running, but have tried to upgrade to 6.5 . installed all the mysql stuff through apt-get, and built without problem, but now every time i try to start the slimserver daemon i get

The following modules failed to load: YAML::Syck

To download and compile them, please run: /mnt/hda/usr/local/src/SlimServer_v6.5.0/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl YAML::Syck

Exiting..

so obviously i try and install the Yaml-syck and all seems to go well

Library for YAML-Syck-0.64.tar.gz is OK!
All done!

but attempt to restart the slimserver daemon and i get the same message as above to install the YAML-syck

any answers much appreciated..... soooo near yet sooo far

stevos
2006-10-23, 11:42
You need to type

/mnt/hda/usr/local/src/SlimServer_v6.5.0/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl

to compile the module, however this didn't work too well for me.

panamajack
2006-10-26, 07:45
thanks for the reply steve, but i ran this script to build all the modules before attempting to run the slimserve,r and the script completed successfully.

Which is why I'm confused as to why the perl request the build of further modules.

Any other advice appreciated

best regards

stevos
2006-10-26, 10:52
Lets start from basics.

You flashed with freelink, then step by step what did you do?

jmr
2006-10-29, 02:25
Thanks, couldn't list all the errors I get trying to install... I'll try the script for 6.3.1.
BTW, what the main advantages of 6.5 vs 6.3.1?
I'm quite a rookie on this.
Question regarding the freelink stuff, (which I believe is handled in another thread.) If I use this instead, the LS2 will not have the web GUI (saw this earlier in the thread)?
Will the LS2 still be visible in the Win network environment?

BR // Patrik

I had truoble getting any scripts working because telnet on my xp sent 2 enter strokes instead of 1. If this is your problem try using putty and uncheck "Return key sends Telnet New Line instead on ~M". I got Slimserver 6.3.1 working on Openlink after installing the Mipsel development tools and the running the build perl modules script.

johnsin
2007-03-29, 03:30
Hi,
I am new here looking for help. My LS2 is currently running Debian, and it's much easier for me to get all the development tools through apt-get. So far, I have completed the binary build, but when I first run the slimserver.pl, the system gave me this error.

LINKBOX:/slimserver# ./slimserver.pl --daemon --prefsfile /slimsever/slim-data/slimserver.pref --cachedir /slimserver/slim-data
[18:19:43.5700] SlimServer OSDetect init...
[18:19:43.5853] SlimServer settings init...
Can't call method "error" on an undefined value at /slimserver/Slim/Utils/Log.pm line 250.
Log4perl: Seems like no initialization happened. Forgot to call init()?
LINKBOX:/slimserver#

Anyone know what can I do to resolve this? Is there any initialisation required if I run the slimserver for the first time?

I have been using LS2 with MTDAAPD for several years, now trying the slimserver for my new squeezebox3. Thanks in advance.

bpa
2007-03-29, 04:27
What version of Slimserver have you installed ?
It looks like 7.0 with the log4perl entry. If it is 7.0 then be aware that it is in development and not even beta. Often pieces get broken as code is added. Any user of 7.0 must be prepared to delve into slimserver code to get it working on their system.

If you want a running system use the latest release which is 6.5.1 or 6.5.2 which is 6.5.1 with some bug fixes.

johnsin
2007-03-29, 07:08
Thanks for the info. I have downloaded the latest nightly, so I guess that is the problem. I am building the latest stable now, and will report back shortly. Thanks again.

johnsin
2007-03-29, 08:02
Hi,
I completed building version 6.5.1, but I am getting different error. Could you help me? Thanks.

LINKBOX:/slimserver# ./slimserver.pl --prefsfile /slimsever/slim-data/slimserver.pref --cachedir /slimserver/slim-data
2007-03-29 22:57:10.3665 ERROR: Cannot write to preferences file /slimsever/slim-data/slimserver.pref, any changes made will not be preserved for the next startup of the server

2007-03-29 22:57:10.3888 Use of uninitialized value in negation (-) at /slimserver/Slim/Utils/Misc.pm line 1148.
2007-03-29 22:57:10.4236 Use of uninitialized value in join or string at /usr/share/perl/5.8/File/Spec/Unix.pm line 37.
2007-03-29 22:57:10.4270 Use of uninitialized value in join or string at /usr/share/perl/5.8/File/Spec/Unix.pm line 37.
mkdir /slimserver/slim-data/MySQL: Permission denied at /slimserver/Slim/Utils/MySQLHelper.pm line 156
2007-03-29 22:57:19.8858 Use of uninitialized value in sprintf at /slimserver/Slim/Utils/MySQLHelper.pm line 470.

bpa
2007-03-29, 08:14
Check whether slimserver has access to the directory and can write the preferences file. The first time slimserver is run the file has to be created and default values written.

This error is in your log.

Cannot write to preferences file /slimsever/slim-data/slimserver.pref, any changes made will not be preserved for the next startup of the server

johnsin
2007-03-29, 08:46
Strange, I have chmod 666 the files and directories but still getting the same error. I am login as root when doing all this.

bpa
2007-03-29, 09:00
Is there a typo - should the dir be "slimserver" and not "slimsever"

--prefsfile /slimsever/slim-data/slimserver.pref

johnsin
2007-03-29, 09:32
bpa,
You are amazing, the problem is my typo. It resolved the .pref, but I am still getting error as follows. Sorry, I am not asking for spoon feed, but I really tried hard to figure out without solution.

LINKBOX:/slimserver# ./slimserver.pl --prefsfile /slimserver/slim-data/slimserver.pref --cachedir /slimserver/slim-data
2007-03-30 00:28:22.1447 Use of uninitialized value in join or string at /usr/share/perl/5.8/File/Spec/Unix.pm line 37.
2007-03-30 00:28:22.1672 Use of uninitialized value in join or string at /usr/share/perl/5.8/File/Spec/Unix.pm line 37.
write_file '/slimserver/slim-data/slimserver.pref.875' - sysopen: Permission denied at /slimserver/Slim/Utils/Prefs.pm line 979
write_file '/slimserver/slim-data/slimserver.pref.875' - sysopen: Permission denied at /slimserver/Slim/Utils/Prefs.pm line 979
END failed--call queue aborted.

bpa
2007-03-29, 13:33
Something is very odd in your installation. There are a number of things that don't seem right.

1. In the "standard" Perl 5.8.8 File::Spec::Unix there is no code on line 37
2. The path /usr/share/perl/5.8/ looks odd compared to other perl installations - usually there is a path like perl5/5.8.8/File/Spec/Unix.pm.
3. usually with Slimserver - Slimserver uses the Unix.pm that is part of the Slimserver ditribution
4. sysopen fails still looks like permission issues.

There are so many oddities - I think you should
1. Review the Perl installation.
2. If it is OK then check for the Slimserver version of Unix.pm in the slimserver/CPAN/File/Spec directory.
3. If that is OK then start slimserver with --d_startup and see if there are any errors or unusual messages.

johnsin
2007-03-30, 03:21
bpa,
I really appreciate your help. Today, I tried apt-get update and apt-get upgrade hoping it would fix my Perl, but after huge loads of installation, I am still getting the same error.

FYI, before I used the tarball, I had tried the apt-get install slimserver from slimdevices.com repository which I ended up with version for x86. I had removed this version, but then it left the slimserver user created on my system.

Since I suspected this could be the problem, I have deleted the slimserver user and rerun ./slimserver.pl --d_startup. I am prompted with running slimserver.pl with root is not allowed.

Then I decided to add slimserver user, and this is the new error that I got. Looks like a bit of improvement, but I am unable to tell what this error means. I really hope you can guide me to solve the problem.

070330 18:08:32 [ERROR] Error message file '/slimserver/MySQL/errmsg.sys' had only 463 error messages,
but it should contain at least 472 error messages.
Check that the above file is the right version for this program!
070330 18:08:32 [ERROR] Aborting

2007-03-30 18:09:02.3845 ERROR: MySQLHelper: createSystemTables() Couldn't connect to database: [Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/home/slimserver/Cache/slimserver-mysql.sock' (2)]

slimserver@LINKBOX:/slimserver$

bpa
2007-03-30, 03:55
Forum Search is a great feature. Check post #7 in this thread.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=31288&highlight=errmsg.sys

johnsin
2007-03-30, 07:30
bpa,
It's finally up and running. I am currently figuring out how can I get the itunes .xml that I edited for mt-daapd to be parsed into slimserver. Many thanks for the help.

For others information, the 6.5.1 eats up a lot of resources on my LS2. All RAM used up, and currently using around 100Mb of swap.

bpa
2007-03-30, 07:38
I have 6.5.1 running on a FSG3 with 64Mb RAM - web is slow but SB interface is OK.

You can do a few things to save some memory
1. Remove (don't just disable) any plugins not used 2. Don't run scanner in normal use - some people rename it so that scanner is only run at specified time.
3. Disable any features you don't use.
4. You can run MySql without innoddb if there is only a few a users.

Some users have played around with MySql parameters.

johnsin
2007-04-01, 21:27
bpa,
I have not disabled any plugins yet as I noticed LS2 still can cope with the heavy load. The CPU load is around 50% when slimserver is serving the music, and 100% when scanning database. Fortunately we only have to rescan database only when new musics are added.

My SB3 will only arrive tomorrow, and my experience so far is using the SS to serve my 3yo Soundbridge. I am expecting the SB3 will be more responsive than Soundbridge.

I wouldn't get this far without your help. Thanks again for your help.