PDA

View Full Version : Thanks QTFairUse6-2.4 - I can now play iTunes purchased music on my SB3!!!

EnochLight
2006-09-16, 17:09
I read about QTFairUse6 in an old thread here when I first picked up my SB3, and I recently re-discovered it due to a story ran on Dailytech. At first I was reluctant to use it, but I backed up my iTunes purchased music on a removable drive just to be safe and let her rip.

In a matter of 15 to 20 minutes, my entire catalog of music that I purchased via the iTunes music store has been rightfully allowed to play on my Squeezebox via SlimServer!

I can't explain to you how happy this makes me; originally I planned to use a CD-RW and painstakingly burn my catalog, one album by one album, and then re-rip it to FLAC. QTFairUse6-2.4 apparantly strips each file of the nasty-you-know-what and dumps it as an exact duplicate, with no loss of sound quality. I've got it being transcoded to my SB3 as an aiff.

Anyway, just wanted to say that QTFairUse6-2.4 worked perfect for me with no troubles (513+ tracks). I think it's only Windows right now, though.

Cheers!

Nostromo
2006-09-16, 19:05
Luckily for me, I only bought a couple of albums and a couple of tracks on iTunes before finding out I made a mistake. ;-)

EnochLight
2006-09-17, 00:39
Luckily for me, I only bought a couple of albums and a couple of tracks on iTunes before finding out I made a mistake. ;-)

That's just it though - believe me it's very difficult for me to purchase music like this (through iTMS); but it's so damn convenient!!! I mean, I've been collecting music in one shape or form since the 70's - first 8-Tracks, then vinyl, then cassettes - and CD was my Rosetta stone... and I still purchase CD's, but getting music now and immediate through services such as iTMS is just too convenient to pass up. And I hate myself for buying it - crappy iTunes compression (.m4p) is no comparison to CD or even vinyl - AT ALL... but I do it nonetheless....

Waiting days/weeks to get CD's sent to me (when ordering online), or driving up to the local store and searching hours on end... PFFFFFTTTT - it's no wonder the iTMS is a success - it's all about CONVENIENCE.

Anywho... QTFairUse is "da bomb" for iTMS users...

stinkingpig
2006-09-17, 08:54
On 9/17/06, EnochLight <
EnochLight.2e9qcn1158478801 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> Nostromo;136862 Wrote:
> > Luckily for me, I only bought a couple of albums and a couple of tracks
> > on iTunes before finding out I made a mistake. ;-)
>
> That's just it though - believe me it's very difficult for me to
> purchase music like this (through iTMS); but it's so damn convenient!!!
> I mean, I've been collecting music in one shape or form since the 70's
> - first 8-Tracks, then vinyl, then cassettes - and CD was my Rosetta
> stone... and I still purchase CD's, but getting music now and immediate
> through services such as iTMS is just too convenient to pass up. And I
> hate myself for buying it - crappy iTunes compression (.m4p) is no
> comparison to CD or even vinyl - AT ALL... but I do it nonetheless....
>
> Waiting days/weeks to get CD's sent to me (when ordering online), or
> driving up to the local store and searching hours on end... PFFFFFTTTT
> - it's no wonder the iTMS is a success - it's all about
> *CONVENIENCE*.
>
>
It's all very convenient until you want o use it with something that wasn't
sold to you by Apple, at which point you discover the walls aronud the
garden. QTFairUse and similar are ladders over the wall, but by my reading
of the DMCA, they're illegal (insert IANAL disclaimer here). Of course, most
people consider it to be on par with speeding or jaywalking, the barely
enforced laws that simply make a mockery of the system until municipal
revenues need shoring up, but that's neither here nor there.

I plug them every time this question comes up, but there are other, legal
options outside of the Apple ITMS. In particular, check out Emusic, which
has a huge collection of excellent stuff. This is where I get the vast
majority of my music now. There are a ton of other legal download sites out
there, as well as the non-legal.
--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional

Nostromo
2006-09-17, 09:46
Yes, its very convenient. That's why CD's will eventually disapear and we'll buy all our music online. But like stinkingpig pointed out, there are other options out there. Beatport, for example, looks like an excellent music store for electronic music. You can download your tracks in MP3 @ 320kbps or in WAV. And no DRM.

Mike Anderson
2006-09-17, 10:25
Is there a version of this that works on Macs yet?

Kevin O. Lepard
2006-09-17, 10:41
>Yes, its very convenient. That's why CD's will eventually disapear and
>we'll buy all our music online.

Maybe, but I hope not, because then a lot of music will be DRM-only.
I've bought stuff at the iTunes store, but usually it's just a single
that I can't find someone else. Otherwise I stick to physical CDs.
I dump the jewel case and store them in albums so they don't take
much space.

The iTunes stuff I immediately burn and rip. I just eat the loss in
sound quality, as unappealing as that is, but I'm not willing to be
locked out of something I've paid for.

If I could buy un-DRM'd FLACs legally I might give up physical CDs.
Ultimately I expect that the media companies are going to DRM
themselves to the point that I just take my money elsewhere. At some
point being treated like a criminal when I'm not and the inability to
engage in reasonable activities--stream my music/movies remotely
around the house, load it on my MP3 player, record and watch it when
I like, etc--is just going to make me exit the market. Maybe enough
others will take their money elsewhere, too, that they will change; I
don't know.

Kevin
--
Kevin O. Lepard

Happiness is being 100% Microsoft free.

mikerob
2006-09-17, 11:39
Yes, its very convenient. That's why CD's will eventually disapear and we'll buy all our music online. But like stinkingpig pointed out, there are other options out there. Beatport, for example, looks like an excellent music store for electronic music. You can download your tracks in MP3 @ 320kbps or in WAV. And no DRM.

Beatport does indeed have an excellent selection of electronic music but they have totally stupid pricing for WAV files and non-US dollar purchases.

For example, a particular CD is GBP 7.78 new on Amazon Marketplace including post and packing from the US to the UK.

Buying the same tracks as WAVs on Beatport would cost GBP 24.97.

Needless to say, I've stopped using Beatport.

radish
2006-09-17, 17:59
For example, a particular CD is GBP 7.78 new on Amazon Marketplace including post and packing from the US to the UK.

Buying the same tracks as WAVs on Beatport would cost GBP 24.97.

Needless to say, I've stopped using Beatport.

I don't buy albums from beatport - I buy indivdual tracks and mixes which more often than not are simply unavailable without a trek to 5 different vinyl stores and a lot of searching. Dance music is a _lot_ harder to find here in the US than in the UK, and so services like beatport are simply essential for me.

EnochLight
2006-09-18, 17:22
Beatport, for example, looks like an excellent music store for electronic music. You can download your tracks in MP3 @ 320kbps or in WAV. And no DRM.

I was excited to read this post and check out Beatport; it does look pretty cool. But when I went to purchase my first album in WAV, I was slapped with a $9 USD "handling fee". That sucks, because I would love to be able to find a store comparable in price to iTunes but offered WAV downloads. Needless to say, I cancelled that purchase an opted for the .mp4.

Oh well, their .mp4 option is a better bitrate than iTunes and has no DRM. Cool.

mikerob
2006-09-19, 02:34
I was excited to read this post and check out Beatport; it does look pretty cool. But when I went to purchase my first album in WAV, I was slapped with a $9 USD "handling fee". That sucks, because I would love to be able to find a store comparable in price to iTunes but offered WAV downloads. Needless to say, I cancelled that purchase an opted for the .mp4.

Yeah - the WAV pricing is crazy isn't it? For an album, the Beatport "WAV handling fee" on its own is often more than the cost of buying the CD!

It is made even worse by the exchange conversions used for GBP and EUR which are significantly worse than the usual rip-offs we are used to getting.

There are a lot of complaints about this on the Beatport forum so hopefully they will get the message soon.

radish
2006-09-19, 05:55
You used to not be able to download WAV - if you wanted lossless they shipped it to you on a CDR. I imagine that's where the handling fee first started. Of course it makes no sense now it's just another download format!