PDA

View Full Version : AARGGGHH Crash City!

chaz
2006-09-16, 14:00
Recently I'd upgraded to 6.5 and all was fine for a while til I started to try and get it to read the album art downloaded by Itunes 7.0. I couldn't get this to work and then started to see some really wierd issues with the way 6.5 was organizing things after some rescans and adds to my library. So I decided to go back to 6.3. After my initial install and library scan in 6.3 all was great and it even imported all the artwork downloaded by the new version of Itunes so I was a happy guy. I didn't do much else with it and went out for a few hours

When I got back, slimserver had crashed...and I couldn't get it to start back up. I've tried sever re-installs, and it never quite finishes scanning my library before it crashed out again. The only way I can get it to run again is either re-boot or re-install and then it just crashes out again eventually after a few minutes.

I've never had any problems with slimserver, other than a bug here and there. Now I can't even get it to run. Can someone PLEASE point me in the right direction to get it up and running again????

ceejay
2006-09-16, 14:33
So you went from 6.3 to 6.5 and back to 6.3 again? You might want to try completely removing (or perhaps more sensibly renaming) your slimserver directory to make sure you don't have any bits of 6.5 left lying around.

Also be careful with any plugins you have, some have different versions for 6.3 and 6.5

Ceejay

chaz
2006-09-16, 14:40
Thanks for the suggestions....though I did completely remove my slimserver directory and I have no plugins as of now.

Anyone have any ideas?

DasGutHerrDoktor
2006-09-16, 14:50
I've seen 6.3 crash out on some sort of corrupt tag in a track. Run with the -d_scan debug option and see what track it is dying on. If its always the same one, remove it (for now) and see if the rescan will complete

chaz
2006-09-16, 14:52
I've seen 6.3 crash out on some sort of corrupt tag in a track. Run with the -d_scan debug option and see what track it is dying on. If its always the same one, remove it (for now) and see if the rescan will complete

Sorry, but can you be more specific on how to run with the -d_scan debug option? Also, where are the log files written to?

ceejay
2006-09-16, 23:54
Go to server settings - debugging. There you will see lots of debug flags you can turn on (don't turn them all on or it will get VERY chatty!), and a very well disguised link in the text which will open up a browser window to the log file.

To catch errors on startup this won't work, of course, at it will crash before you can get to this page: in this case you need to run slim from the command line and specify the debug options as parameters.

HTH
Ceejay

michael_c
2006-09-17, 11:52
Hi,

I don't know if it's the same issue...but since installed iTunes 7 slimserver 6.3.1 is crashing all the time...

I "moved" some folders, etc...to reorganize my music so I'm not sure if it's an issue with the new iTunes or the re-scanning of the folders. The problem is that the server is crashing after few seconds so I can't even put some log tracking..

any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Michael

joelunch
2006-09-17, 18:41
Is there a way to view logfiles after the program crashes? It is all well and good to view the logs while it is running but we are trying to see why it crashes.

(I am also experiencing the program crashing after about 2 minutes.)

After turning off the itunes update the server appears to be staying up so how can I get it to successfully scan the itunes files?

bpa
2006-09-17, 23:27
If you are using Windows - there is usually an slimserver entry in Windows event log after a crash. It will give details about where slimserver crashed.

joelunch
2006-09-17, 23:42
I don't get anyth8ing usefull from the event viewer.

It just says;
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 18/09/2006
Time: 11:01:11 AM
User: N/A
Computer:
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following information is part of the event: Perl interpreter failed.

Ok so I ran slim from the command line and got this before some memory error;

2006-09-18 16:41:38.4870 Size mismatch on TALB
at C:/Program Files/SlimServer/server/Slim/Formats/MP3.pm line 98

bpa
2006-09-18, 00:09
That message could be helpful as it says the crash could be due to MP3 tag parsing.

It would be better to run slimserver from a command prompt with a few debugging flags enabled such as d_scan and d_info - that way you will get a more complete list of message on the console.