PDA

View Full Version : Maxtor Shared Storage II 1TB

netraider
2006-09-16, 12:17
I have started ripping ~3k CDs in FLAC to a PC with Slimserver. I want to transfer music database to a dedicated NAS server and am considering the new MAxtor Shared Storage II 1TB. Has anyone used this NAS box? Results? Recommendations of other 1-2TB NAS servers?

tommypeters
2006-09-16, 12:24
After my previous experience with Maxtor HD's I don't recommend anything Maxtor. And I guess with that box you still need to have a computer running with SlimServer, right?

netraider
2006-09-16, 19:43
The Box is a complete NAS, not USB drives to attach to a PC. Therefore Slimsever should run fine from this standalone hardware on the network. I haven't tried it so I am looking to see if anyone has any experience with it or has other recommendations for cost effective NAS >1TB.

nelamvr6
2006-09-16, 20:05
Have you got a link to this device?

aubuti
2006-09-16, 20:34
The Box is a complete NAS, not USB drives to attach to a PC. Therefore Slimsever should run fine from this standalone hardware on the network. I haven't tried it so I am looking to see if anyone has any experience with it or has other recommendations for cost effective NAS >1TB.
Slimserver can only run fine if you can get into the box and install software, something that most manufacturers of consumer-grade NASs usually make very difficult. Do you know if the stock firmware gives you telnet or ssh access to the drive (as root)? Or if there is 3rd party firmware that allows this? If not, then you'll have a hard time installing slimserver on it.

As for alternatives, I'm pretty sure that someone has hacked the firmware of the Buffalo TeraStation to permit slimserver installation.

nelamvr6
2006-09-16, 22:37
Can't you just run SlimServer on your main box and specify the NAS RAID as the location of your music library?

netraider
2006-09-17, 10:55
Here's the link to the NAS box:

http://www.maxtorsolutions.com/en/catalog/MSS_II_Dual/

My objective is to maintain the music database with SlimServer on a box with my network rack away from the user (kids) pcs. Again I have 3,000 CDs I want to rip in FLAC.

aubuti
2006-09-17, 12:16
None of which answers the question about whether you can install and run slimserver on it. It appears that the stock firmware is closed, which would block you from installing slimserver. There is a group that has hacked the firmware for Maxtor Shared Storage, but I don't know if it will work on that particular model. I suggest you check out the site www.openmss.org to find out if it will work.

You'll also need to pay attention to what processor and how much RAM the NAS has.

aubuti
2006-09-17, 12:18
Sorry, I forgot to add that to install slimserver you'll need to be able to install Perl 5.8 or later.

tommypeters
2006-09-17, 13:30
I haven't heard of anyone running SlimServer on any Maxtor NAS. Earlier I had a Maxtor Shared Storage Plus (before I thought about installing SlimServer on a NAS) but returned it since it mostly didn't work as advertised. Fortunately the shop were I bought it agreed with me, and Maxtor "Support" finally gave in.

The RAID 1 is a good feature in the MSS II 1TB, but I have gone for "Manual RAID" instead. I have one Synology DS-106 with a 500GB WD HDD and a 500GB LaCie Porsche USB-2 disk for backup. The negative with that solution is that you have to either schedule a backup or manually initiate it - a RAID-1 does that on-the-fly. But Synology at least can have backup done directly from the DS-106 to the connected USB-2 disk without passing the data through the computer. The positive is that I can disconnect the external disk and store it somewhere else (more fire/theft safe).

nelamvr6
2006-09-17, 14:36
But can you run Slimserver on your main box and use this NAS as the location of your music library?

funkstar
2006-09-18, 07:41
But can you run Slimserver on your main box and use this NAS as the location of your music library?
Of course. Just remember to use the UNC path to your music on the NAS instead of a mapped drive path.