PDA

View Full Version : Possible to set up SB2 without SlimServer running?

jdunning
2006-09-15, 19:48
The docs imply that you can connect to internet radio without having a local SlimServer running. But is it possible to setup a SqueezeBox 2 without a server?

After setting up the wireless network, it wants me to connect to a SlimServer (which I haven't set up yet). I back out of that, but the only top-level menu items then are "View current setings" and "Set up networking". I don't see the "SqueezeBox Home" menu or "Internet Radio". Do you have to first set up a SlimServer in order to complete the SB2 setup (contrary to the marketing)?

Pale Blue Ego
2006-09-15, 20:38
The SB obviously can't find the SqueezeNetowrk unless it can first find the local network.

jdunning
2006-09-15, 21:27
The SB *does* find the local wireless network. I've set it to use a static IP, but it will also get a dynamic one from the router if I use that setting.

The question is, once it's connected to the local network, but before a SlimServer is running, is there anything you can do with the box? Can it access internet radio by itself?

ceejay
2006-09-16, 03:56
The question is, once it's connected to the local network, but before a SlimServer is running, is there anything you can do with the box? Can it access internet radio by itself?

I've not tried such a thing so can't answer your question directly... (I suspect you can but don't take my word for it). However I am wondering why you would want to do such a thing. If you have a local network you presumeably have a computer, so why not install slimserver? Even if your intended use model is only to listen to internet radio, I'd still recommend having a slimserver to hand even if its only as a means of getting firmware updates to your SB, and to help with troubleshooting when your wireless network has problems.

Just a thought...

Ceejay

funkstar
2006-09-16, 04:00
It has to connect to some sort of SlimServer. If you don't have the local one set up yet, they you can point it to SqueezeNetwork.

Once the SB has connected to the local network it should try and find a SlimServer on it. Once this fails there is an option to connect to SqueezeNetwork. Once you have connected to it, the SB will remember the next time it is switched on and will connect automatically to SN.

aubuti
2006-09-16, 10:07
Right. And after connecting to SqueezeNetwork you stay connected to SN even when you turn the SB power off. You can then go to the SN web page and turn on the Squeezebox and select stations from anywhere in the world. Scared the ***t out of my wife one time when I did that!!

jdunning
2006-09-16, 10:16
Once the SB has connected to the local network it should try and find a SlimServer on it. Once this fails there is an option to connect to SqueezeNetwork. Once you have connected to it, the SB will remember the next time it is switched on and will connect automatically to SN.

Ah. But I don't see any option to connect to SqueezeNetwork after it doesn't find a local server. Should I just enter the IP address of the SN website? Perhaps the box's firmware needs updating? It's version 11.

As for why I don't want to have a local SS, no reason really. It was a friend's box and I had it lying around. I was listening to a Shoutcast station and I wanted to see if I could just hook it up directly.

Thanks for your help.

Mark Lanctot
2006-09-16, 10:32
Firmware version 11? Are you sure?

If so, you may not have a Squeezebox 2, you may have a Squeezebox 1.

Take a look at the label on the bottom. Does it say "Squeezebox" or "Squeezebox2"?

If it says Squeezebox, then it's a Squeezebox 1, and it can't access SqueezeNetwork. You have no choice but to run SlimServer.

jdunning
2006-09-16, 11:22
Firmware version 11? Are you sure?

If so, you may not have a Squeezebox 2, you may have a Squeezebox 1.

Take a look at the label on the bottom. Does it say "Squeezebox" or "Squeezebox2"?

It says Squeezebox2 on the bottom. The "Current Network Settings" says "Firmware version 11". My wireless network is set to be G-only and the box connects okay, while I think 802.11g was new with SB2. The security menu lists WPA Personal, which the SB1 didn't have, but it doesn't list WPA2-AES.

Did early SB2s go out with older firmware? I guess I need SlimServer to do a firmware upgrade?

funkstar
2006-09-16, 12:01
If you have a very early SB2 then i gues it it possible that it doesn't have a SqueezeNetwork option in the firmware (i can't remember when SN was announced in relation to the release of SB2).

yes you will need to install SlimServer to update the firmware. It doesn't take long to install, and you are prompted to update the FW when it connects to the server.

To speed up the initial setup, you might want to point SlimServer at a small set of music files, or even an empty directory so it doesn't spend too long scanning the library before you get everything else going.

jdunning
2006-09-17, 20:08
After installing and running SlimServer, the box updated its firmware to version 55 (from 11) and now can access internet radio and Squeezenetwork. Perhaps the newer firmware would've connected to SN out of the box without using a local server, but version 11, at least, didn't work.

ceejay
2006-09-18, 05:12
After installing and running SlimServer, the box updated its firmware to version 55 (from 11) and now can access internet radio and Squeezenetwork. Perhaps the newer firmware would've connected to SN out of the box without using a local server, but version 11, at least, didn't work.

Indeed - SN came out several months after the SB2, and a firmware upgrade was required - so early SB2s will all need upgrading in this way.

This is why its a good idea to have a local slimserver installation even if you don't plan to use it very often!

Ceejay

badbob
2006-09-18, 05:32
I wonder if it'll be possible to connect to a USB device storing slimserver? ie a pendrive.

mherger
2006-09-18, 05:42
> I wonder if it'll be possible to connect to a USB device storing
> slimserver? ie a pendrive.

Of course you can: a pendrive is just another drive in your computer. You
can run slimserver from any drive or folder.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

badbob
2006-09-18, 05:51
No I mean could you plug a USB pendrive into the Squeezebox with Slimserver. So you don't need a PC or Qnap.

adhawkins
2006-09-18, 06:22
Hi,

In article <badbob.2ebzln1158584101 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>,
badbob<badbob.2ebzln1158584101 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> No I mean could you plug a USB pendrive into the Squeezebox with
> Slimserver. So you don't need a PC or Qnap.

There is no USB port on a Squeezebox...

Andy

ceejay
2006-09-18, 07:36
... and, equally fundamentally, you need a processor to run slimserver on. The SB is designed as a *slim* device, ie without the capability to do such a thing.

Ceejay