PDA

View Full Version : Volume Adjustment with iTunes 7.0

WhaleOil
2006-09-15, 15:02
I have my music as Apple Lossless in iTunes. Slimserver 6.5b3 was able to read the Volume Adjustment/Sound Check information (and show it in 'Song Info') and all was fine.

However, I have just ripped some new CDs using iTunes 7.0 and done a full clear and re-scan of the slimserver library and now something seems to have gone wrong.

The existing files are all fine and the Volume Adjustment information is all present and correct and working properly in slimserver. However, the Volume Adjustment information is not shown in slimserver for the new CDs, even though iTunes is showing adjustments for these new files in just the same way as for all the other files.

I do not know enough to be able to check if Apple have somehow (deliberately or accidentally?) changed the way that the Volume Adjustment/Sound Check information is being stored for music files ripped with iTunes 7.

Is anyone else experiencing this, and does anyone have any ideas what is causing this?

Thanks for your help

EnochLight
2006-09-16, 16:40
Is anyone else experiencing this, and does anyone have any ideas what is causing this?

Thanks for your help

Judging from all the hubbub around 7's problems, I doubt you're alone with your problems:

iTunes 7 is a Lemon Say Users (http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4174)

WhaleOil
2006-09-17, 04:03
Yes - it is definitely something in iTunes 7. I have now gone back to v 6.05 and re-ripped these CDs and the Volume Adjustment info is now showing up in slimserver as before.

I guess I will stick with the old version of iTunes for a while, but I would still be interested to know what was causing this...

tigershark
2006-09-17, 12:53
I have installed iTunes 7 and cannot scan my library for new music. I tried a full rescan and it messed it up even more so it looks like even existing files are being altered. I'm not sure what triggers this.

I considered that the problem might be with the XML file that SlimServer scans when you tell it to use iTunes, particularly as Appple appear to use an industry standard for tagging, but I have scanned directly and this problem still occurs so I think the trouble lies with tagging and not the XML file.

Hopefully Slim Devices can comment quickly. I won't go back to iTunes 6.5 just yet - it's not worth the trouble.

cheers

funkstar
2006-09-17, 13:00
I read in another thread that SS doesn't have a problem with the changes Apple made to the XML file.

here it is:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=27333&highlight=iTunes

dean
2006-09-17, 21:36
On Sep 17, 2006, at 12:53 PM, tigershark wrote:
> I have installed iTunes 7 and cannot scan my library for new music. I
> tried a full rescan and it messed it up even more so it looks like
> even
> existing files are being altered. I'm not sure what triggers this.
>
> I considered that the problem might be with the XML file that
> SlimServer scans when you tell it to use iTunes, particularly as
> Appple
> appear to use an industry standard for tagging, but I have scanned
> directly and this problem still occurs so I think the trouble lies
> with
> tagging and not the XML file.
>
> Hopefully Slim Devices can comment quickly. I won't go back to iTunes
> 6.5 just yet - it's not worth the trouble.
We haven't found any issues with iTunes 7.0 compatibility here yet.

Can you give some detail about the behavior you are seeing and how
you've got your music set up?