PDA

View Full Version : What happens when my QNAP is full

Seineseeker
2006-09-14, 03:43
OK, at some point in the hopefull quite far future my QNAP, all 300GB of it will be full. What do I do then? You can't attach supplementary drives because of the SS single music folder restriction. Will I be able to swap in another bigger hard drive, or will I have to buy a whole new unit.

I'd just like to know, just so I can gauge how reckless I can be putting stuff on to it in the meantime.

bonze
2006-09-14, 05:49
As far as I understand it the TS-101 is supplied by QNAP disc-less.
A drive is then fitted, formatted and SlimServer installed.

You can update the drive, but you would have to return it to have SS 're-installed'.

mherger
2006-09-14, 06:05
You can't attach supplementary drives because of the SS single music folder restriction.

You can: just put a shortcut (or symlink) from the main folder to the secondary. SlimServer will follow it and find all your songs.

Seineseeker
2006-09-14, 08:33
You can: just put a shortcut (or symlink) from the main folder to the secondary. SlimServer will follow it and find all your songs.

So one day I could attach a USB drive to the QNAP, and keep going filling it up with stuff?

Grumpy_Git
2006-09-15, 06:14
Yes or a cheap generic eSATA enclusure with a drive installed.

iangude
2006-09-15, 06:18

Hmm...if only it were that easy. I currently have a Qnap I cant use. I have all my music on another network drive (2tb) - can anyone advise me how to create the symlinks (shortcuts dont work). Paul promised me a solution rather than a refund, but this doesnt seem to be happening.