PDA

View Full Version : "Your player cannot be found" message

bgriffis
2006-09-13, 17:11
Just curious why I get this message. It seems like my player goes into some kind of low power mode after a certain amount of time where I need to wake it up using the remote control.

I suspect this might be tied to the WoL functionality. I keep my computer asleep most of the time and have it set to wakeup only by a magic packet. Does the SB2 eventually give up trying to send packets when it doesn't get a reply?

I recently added a transmitter (for wireless speakers) to the analog output of the player. It would be nice to be able to start the player from my computer on the 2nd floor rather than walking down to the basement. Is there a setting that affects this?

Thanks for any pointers.

Ross L
2006-09-13, 17:35
When your SlimServer is turned on, the Squeezebox will come back on, no need for a setting.

Is your SB2 connecting to Squeeze Network? If it's connected to Squeeze Network that would explain the 'your player was not found' message.

bgriffis
2006-09-13, 17:56
Thanks for the reply. My SB2 is not connected to SqueezeNetwork and the player is not seen when SS comes back on (i.e. when the computer wakes up). I'm sitting at the computer that runs SS so I'm positive the computer is awake and SS is running. It appears to be the player that is in some sort of hibernate state. When I press the power button on the player it displays a "connecting to Slim Server" message and then connects.

Ross L
2006-09-13, 18:20
Interesting. How do you turn the whole system off? Do you hit the power button on the Squeezebox, or just shut off the PC?

I'm not sure about this hibernate state, I'll ask the experts and see what I can come up with.

bgriffis
2006-09-14, 05:42
I turn it off by pressing clicking "Off" on the SS web page. I then put my computer into standby. Thanks for looking into this.

bgriffis
2006-09-15, 04:43
Is anyone else having this problem? I've updated to 6.5b3 and still see the same issue. My computer with SS was asleep all night and I woke it up about 20 minutes ago but it says "Your player cannot be found" when I open the web page.

It looks to me as if there is a timeout mechanism in the firmware for the SB2/SB3 such that after a certain number of attempts to talk to the server it gives up. That should be modified to perhaps just try on a less frequent basis (e.g. once a minute or so). It shouldn't stop trying altogether though or else you get this behavior where I am forced to walk to the basement and turn it on.

Ross, any word back from the experts? Hopefully you're talking to the firmware experts and not the SS experts. Thanks.

danco
2006-09-15, 08:44
I'm not sure if the problem I have is related.

For some time now (can't recall when it started, it certainly occurs on 6.3.x but I'm not sure whether it happened in any versions of 6.2), when I wake my computer from sleep the Squeezebox sometimes lights up (in the Off state) but, particularly after a long sleep, it sometimes stays completely dark.

When this happens, pressing the Power button gives the message "waking up SlimServer" - which it should not do, as the machine running SlimServer has been woken up by me - followed by "Connecting to SlimServer", followed by going dark again.

Solution is to hold down the Power button, which brings up the Setup menu. Pressing the Up button brings me to a "Connect to 192.168.1.12" option, and pressing Right then connects and all is fine from then on. Mildly annoying, and it certainly shouldn't happen, but not a major issue for me.

I amy using a Mac - PowerBook G4 - OS 10.4.7 with a wired connection to a router/modem which is also connected to an Airport Extreme Base Station for my wireless connection.

Ross L
2006-09-15, 13:17
Could you tell me about your network setup?

I've tried to reproduce this here by shutting down my computer or putting it in stand by, but no matter what I do after I 'boot' the computer again, the Squeezebox connects to it right away.

Do you guys see this often, everytime, or just once in a while?

danco
2006-09-15, 14:54
For me the situation is

Four-port router and ADSL modem combined, providing the IP address.

Wired connection from this to my Mac and to an Airport Extreme Base Station. A second Airport Extreme Base Station acts as a remote station (as I got too low a signal with only one of them), with the SB connecting wirelessly to this second base station.

Generally speaking, if the computer has only been asleep for a short time, then the SB connects fine when I wake the computer. But when I have the computer asleep overnight, for instance, then the SB often (not always, I think) behaves as noted in my previous post and does not connect when I wake the computer.

It may well be that one of the Base Stations is too asleep in this situation, and needs the approach I mentioned in order to wake it.

But this used not to happen. The trouble in saying when it occurred is that I am not sure if it was after an update of SlimServer or after an update of OS X that this started happening.

bgriffis
2006-09-15, 17:08
I also have the problem only when my computer has been asleep for a long time. I think I may have an idea of what the issue is (for me anyway). I think it may have something to do with the computer changing IP addresses. That is, the computer goes to sleep with one address and when it wakes many hours later is given a different address. Would that cause this behavior? I may go to a static IP address and see if that helps.

Thanks for looking into this.

bgriffis
2006-09-15, 17:18
Yes, I just tested out my theory and it appears to hold up. My player was showing up a minute ago, but after switching to static IP and then back to DHCP the router assigned me a new address and now the player cannot be found.

How can I get around this? I don't want to set my network to be all static addresses. That won't work well when I bring my laptop home from work. Is there a way to make only my desktop PC static but keep the rest of my network DHCP? I don't see such an option in my router's firmware (WRT54G HW v3.0, FW v4.30.5).

Gregory Hamilton
2006-09-15, 18:37
On 9/15/06, bgriffis <bgriffis.2e7bbb1158366001 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> Yes, I just tested out my theory and it appears to hold up. My player
> was showing up a minute ago, but after switching to static IP and then
> back to DHCP the router assigned me a new address and now the player
> cannot be found.
>
> How can I get around this? I don't want to set my network to be all
> static addresses. That won't work well when I bring my laptop home
> from work. Is there a way to make only my desktop PC static but keep
> the rest of my network DHCP? I don't see such an option in my router's
> firmware (WRT54G HW v3.0, FW v4.30.5).
>
>
> --
> bgriffis
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> bgriffis's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=1477
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=27368
>
>

bgriffis
2006-09-15, 19:15
OK, I've successfully converted to a "mixed" environment containing both static and dynamic IP addresses.

I'm not positive if this was the problem, but I've been wanting to go to this sort of setup for a while to resolve some other issues like having to hunt around for the slimserver from my laptop when my desktop gets reassigned a new IP address. Here's how I changed it:

1) First do Start -> Run and type in cmd. That will open a command prompt.
2) At the command prompt type "ipconfig /all" (no quotes).
3) Copy down the default gateway and the DNS (usually 2 DNS addresses).
4) Go into your router's administration page and change the IP address range for the DHCP to start at a later address. For example I set mine to start issuing addresses beginning with 192.168.1.102. This prevents any "collisions" with your static IP address.
5) Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Network Connections. Right-click on the connection corresponding to your internet connection and go to Properties.
6) Click on "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and then Properties.
7) Select "Use the following address" and type in the IP address you'd like to assign your computer (e.g. 192.168.1.100), subnet mask (e.g. 255.255.255.0), and gateway (e.g. 192.168.1.1).
8) Click "Use the following DNS servers" and then type in the DNS addresses you copied down in step 3.

So in my setup I have my desktop with Slimserver configured with static IP address 192.168.1.100. My SB2 is statically configured as 192.168.1.101. I may potentially take my laptop with me to other places so I still have it configured for DHCP. The router is setup for DHCP beginning with 192.168.1.102 so my laptop (plus the laptops of anyone visiting my house) would get issued an address from that pool such that there is no conflict with the static IP addresses.

I'm pretty sure this is going to fix my problem. I will report back in a day or so to confirm in case anyone else comes across a similar problem.

Brad

danco
2006-09-16, 00:17
That's not the issue for me, as my computer and Airport base stations retain the same address

bgriffis
2006-09-16, 07:44
So far so good for me. After letting my computer sleep overnight I was able to wake it up and find the SB2 right away. I'm pretty sure my problem is solved.

Danco, if you don't have a static IP address for your Mac you may want to try it just in case. I was experiencing the same issues with my SB2 staying black even after my computer was on. I think when this problem occurs you will see "Player not found" on the server end and a black screen on the player end. I believe the problem boils down to something changing in the network which makes the SB no longer see SS. For me it was the IP address changing but perhaps there are other things that can cause this same behavior. Your Airport Base Stations seem like a good place to do some digging. How do you have them configured? Perhaps someone on the forum will recognize something that needs changing in the setup.