PDA

View Full Version : Strange Noise

GregF
2006-09-13, 16:21
This has only started happening since upgrading to 6.5b1 from 6.2.2. When I first turn my stereo on, with the SB off (but plugged in - displaying date & time), I hear a faint whine from the speakers, centered at about 8khz. The volume of the whine follows my preamp's volume control. When I power on the SB with the remote, the whine goes away and if I turn the SB back off, the whine does not come back. My configuration:

Slimserver 6.5b1 rev.9562
SB3 (using digital coax out)
Creek OBH14 DAC/Passive preamp
Creek A52SE Power Amp
NHT MA-1 Subwoofer Amp

Any ideas?

Skunk
2006-09-13, 19:38
Any ideas?

Stab in the dark: 6.5.0 beta 2.

Michaelwagner
2006-09-13, 20:18
Or 3, now that it's out.

GregF
2006-09-14, 10:59
Nope. Updated to beta 3 and it's still doing it. In fact, closer investigation reveals even more randomness. Sometimes the sound does disappear when the SB is shut off from the remote and sometimes it doesn't. I've tried shutting it off with a song playing, with a song paused and with the playlist cleared. In all 3 cases, somtimes the sound comes back and sometimes it doesn't. The only constant has been that the sound is never there when the SB has been turned on from the remote.

More data points: With the SB off and the sound there, unplugging the SB power makes the sound stop (not surprisingly). Plugging it back in, the sound returns even before it reconnects to the SlimServer.

On a hunch, I tried making changes to the Power On Resume setting of the player, to no effect. I'm currently using "Stop at power off/Remain stopped at power on"

Curiouser and curiouser.

jeffluckett
2006-09-14, 11:24
I see you're using the digital coax out.

Can you try the optical, or analog out, just for kicks?

Patrick Dixon
2006-09-14, 11:49
My guess is that it's your Creek DAC's clock freewheeling. With 6.5 firmware the SB3 doesn't put out an SPDIF signal until it powers on, and it turns it off again when it's switched off. IIRC this was a feature request so that DACs with multiple digital inputs can correctly autosense.

Presumably once the Creek has locked on to something after it's first powered up, it's then OK - so the solution is just not to turn it off!

Triode
2006-09-14, 11:58
I believe it still sends a signal, but it this does not include spdif framing so the dac receiver will loose lock.

If this is a problem then I would raise a feature request to make the new operation optional.

cherise
2006-09-14, 14:10
I'm getting the same symptoms since 6.5 something (not sure when) - SB2 into a Sony AV receiver using optical out. If I switch SB off with remote with amp still on I get horrific white noise - have to remember to switch off amp or change inputs before turning off the SB. Not v usable.

Thought it was just a problem with my setup, but seems not. This feature didn't manifest on earlier SS releases.

Cherise.