PDA

View Full Version : Linkstation - Slimserver - Speed up

stevos
2006-09-13, 10:57
Hi,

I have slimserver v6.3.1 installed on my linkstation2, and i really like this setup.

However, it runs kind of slow, i.e. when i want to move between albums on the album search on my squeezebox it takes a few seconds.

What options can i turn off on the slimserver / squeezebox to speed things up?

All i use it for is playing flac music, so no need for radio, rss etc.

Michaelwagner
2006-09-13, 19:35
This might be a better question to ask in the 3rd party hardware forum, where NASes are discussed. Nothing wrong with asking here, but more knowledgeable people hang out there.

Michaelwagner
2006-09-13, 21:13
But ... to get the ball rolling....

Memory is likely to be at least a part of the problem with slimserver on a linkstation.

So here are some ideas. I haven't tried any of them, so take with a grain of caution (and salt).

You can cut back on the memory footprint by using the following options on the line that starts slimserver:

--httpport => Activate the web interface on the specified port. Set to 0 in order disable the web server.
--cliport => Activate the command line interface TCP/IP interface on the specified port. Set to 0 in order disable the command line interface server.

Chances are, if you don't know what the CLI is (and aren't using Moose), you aren't using it and you can turn it off.

If you don't use the web interface, you can turn that off with the httpport option.

If you use multiple music types (mp3, flaq, etc) each uses a bit more memory. Reducing the number of types you have may result in a very small speedup.

If you have only one type of squeezebox, that cuts down the memory footprint a bit. Support for more boxes (2&3 are the same, but 1 is different, and original SLiMP3 is different) costs more memory.

Starting in server 6, there is an option for having the sql database in memory or on disk. Frankly, I don't know which is faster. It's a tradeoff between the linkstations paging and SQLs own paging. Who knows which is better at it?

Tell us what you find out.

Michaelwagner
2006-09-13, 21:22
You might also try checking out the plugins and turning off the ones you don't need.

For instance, here are the plugins my (6.2.2) system shows:

Plugins
SlimServer includes some extra features, called Plugins, that you can use with your remote. You can choose to enable or disable individual plugins in the Plugins directory. To enable an extra, put a check next to the name below. To disable an extra, clear the check mark. You may choose to have the server scan for plugins each time you navigate to the player plugins menu or the plugins settings. Default is to load on startup only. To save your changes, click Change.

Date and Time
Favorites
iTunes
MoodLogic
MusicMagic
Podcast Browser
Random Mix
Rescan Music Library
RSS News Ticker
Save Playlist
Server & Network Health
SlimTris
Snow Screensaver
Visualizer Screensaver
XML-RPC/JSON-RPC Interface
So if you don't use iTunes, ditch it. Same with MoodLogic and Music Magic, the Podcast Browser, RSS Slimtris (a game), the screensavers, and JSON.
Some of the others, you need to find out what they do and if you want or need them.

stevos
2006-09-15, 00:35
Cheers, i have done most of the sugguestions and things have improved quite a bit. Still a bit low, but much better.

Michaelwagner
2006-09-15, 06:15
Well, that's good news. Do you have any numbers?

Did you turn off the options one by one and see which one was of how much help?

When I turned a bunch of the plugins off in my windows system, it made a few MB of difference to the storage image size, but it wasn't a huge difference.

I have no idea if observations from one system (windows) can be applied with any reliability to another system (linux), but I imagine the relationship is unlikely to be linear.

Craig, James (IT)
2006-10-09, 04:03
The -a flag of ls is for 'all files' and is what displays the hidden
'dot files'

James
--------------------------------------------------------

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not intend to waive confidentiality or privilege. Use of this email is prohibited when received in error.