PDA

View Full Version : iTunes 7

Jazz1
2006-09-12, 15:53
I know that there is a FrontRow update, but I have not seen it yet. So I don't know if it does anything new/fancy with the Album or DVD art.

I'm impressed with the new album art view in iTunes 7, but it does not seem to support album art via a shared library on the remote computer (in this case a Mac). So if your trying to serve up some album art "eye candy" on your remote computer using iTunes 7 it doesn't look like it will happen that way.

There is some new function in iTunes that is supposed to snag album art for your entire music library. I'm not sure yet how well it is working.

Any other comments yet on iTunes 7? I'm thinking I still don't want to dedicate a computer for remote listening to my music. So the SB is still looking good to me.

benh
2006-09-12, 17:59
I'm currently sucking down album art for all my albums in iTunes. So far, it's given incorrect art to about 4 albums out of the 1200 or so I have.

Of those, all of them were art for different albums by the same artist. Not sure what the story is there.

I'll be curious to see if the minor additions to the iTunes Library XML schema will hork up SS's iTunes scans.

Also sort of wondering what the new field is in the iTunes song info: "Album Artist"

ben

benh
2006-09-12, 20:58
Just FYI, SlimServer has no issues with the slightly expanded XML schema in iTunes 7's metadata store.

barcar
2006-09-20, 09:59
The "automatically download missing album artwork" preference (and the "get album artwork" menu item) in iTunes 7 downloads artwork to a sub-folder in your iTunes folder and creates a pointer in the music file.

Seems that artwork downloaded in this way is not detected by SlimServer (6.5b3 and presumably older versions).

If you want to back out of the artwork you've downloaded and apply it in the "old" way it's pretty easy...

If you want to be cautious and target just the affected albums you can run the "ITC" files in your "iTunes\Album Artwork" directory through a tool like JpegExtractor to get the downloaded artwork images. This allows you to see which albums are affected (You can also save the artwork for application via the iTunes "Get Info" method which stores the artwork in the music file like before).

Next you select the affected files in your library (or just select your entire library) and right-click the "Clear downloaded artwork" option - this only seems to clear artwork downloaded using the new methods so your other artwork should be safe. But only a fool wouldn't take a backup first.

And don't forget to switch the "automatically download missing album artwork" setting off in iTunes to prevent reoccurrence.

I guess a future version of SlimServer should support the new artwork storage method although why Apple have had to dream up something new is a mystery to me. Why can't they just store cover.jpg in the music folder?

barcar
2006-09-20, 10:05
The downloaded ITC files are stored in "iTunes\Album Artwork\Download".

There is another "iTunes\Album Artwork\Local" folder which I guess is the manually applied stuff.

mikerob
2006-09-20, 10:14
There have been a couple of bug reports raised because of issues with Slimserver and iTunes 7 - see this thread. (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=27503)

mickephoto
2006-09-21, 11:39
None of my artwork is displayed in Slimserver (official v.6.5). The new way iTunes 7 stores artwork is apparently not supported by Slimserver yet , but even my previously imported albums that have jpg's embedded don't show any artwork.

I have done the usual "Clear library and rescan", and also pointed iTunes to a different library folder and back again to correct any potential database export problems. Nothing helps though.

Does anyone have artwork showing up? I really like to see the artwork and hope there is some sort of a workaround, or fix on the way...

barcar
2006-09-21, 13:34
Does anyone have artwork showing up?
All my embedded artwork is showing fine. Only the iTunes downloaded stuff doesn't show up.

Craig, James (IT)
2006-09-22, 02:00
> None of my artwork is displayed in Slimserver (official
> v.6.5). The new
> way iTunes 7 stores artwork is apparently not supported by Slimserver
> yet , but even my previously imported albums that have jpg's embedded
> don't show any artwork.

I couldn't find a bug for the new 'Album Artwork' feature in iTunes 0.7,
open or closed, so I've opened a new one.
Please vote for this if you want your album artwork displayed in
slimserver...

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4180

James
--------------------------------------------------------

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not intend to waive confidentiality or privilege. Use of this email is prohibited when received in error.

mickephoto
2006-09-22, 12:48
After further testing I found that my "old" embedded artwork does show up, but none of the new iTunes 7 downloaded artwork. It would certainly be nice to fix this "bug". I hope it is possible...

Craig, James (IT)
2006-09-28, 04:01
Hmmm. Did someone say iTunes 7.0.1 ?
I'll be busy tonight...
http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

James
--------------------------------------------------------

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not intend to waive confidentiality or privilege. Use of this email is prohibited when received in error.