PDA

View Full Version : Scanner.exe Crash

jcs77
2006-09-12, 07:16
I have been trying to scan my library with version 6.5 (Sept 10 release) and keep getting a scanner.exe crash notification from Windows. In the library info, the crash happens at about the same place with 4652 artists. On a side note v6.3 also has problems scanning.

I am using Win XP pro, 1TB external LaCie drive, 100000+ mp3 files, PIII 5??MHz, 512MB ram.

A long time ago, I was able to completely scan the entire library with slimserver v5. It was also running on a newer P4 computer...

Does anybody have any ideas on how to debug? Do you think this is a computer issue? Could a bad file cause the scanner to crash? Is the number of files an issue?

TIA

kdf
2006-09-12, 08:29
On 12-Sep-06, at 7:16 AM, jcs77 wrote:
>
> Does anybody have any ideas on how to debug? Do you think this is a
> computer issue? Could a bad file cause the scanner to crash? Is the
> number of files an issue?
>
can you elaborate on the details of the crash? is there anything in
the event viewer?
Are you running any antivirus programs? MySQL has a known problem
working with anti-virus. The temp file gets locked during scanning and
mysql will time out and cause the scanner to die. If you are able to
alter the settings of your scanner, have it avoid .MYI files.

-kdf

rtrimarchi
2006-09-12, 12:15
questo e' l'errore nel visualizzatore degli eventi.

Applicazione che ha provocato l'errore scanner.exe, versione 0.0.0.0, modulo che ha provocato l'errore perl58.dll, versione 5.8.7.813, indirizzo errore 0x00089994.

Qualche idea ?

Inoltre, vi risulta che softsqueeze 2.8 debba essere pure aggiornato avendo slim 6.5b2 ??

Il mio vecchio softsqueeze 2.8 mi dice che si deve aggiornare...

Ciao ric

mherger
2006-09-12, 12:30
> Applicazione che ha provocato l'errore scanner.exe, versione 0.0.0.0,
> modulo che ha provocato l'errore perl58.dll, versione 5.8.7.813,
> indirizzo errore 0x00089994.

You might want to clear your temporary folders and reinstall SlimServer.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

rtrimarchi
2006-09-12, 14:04
thanks michael,

but unfortunately did not fix the problem....

Unistalled completely slimserver, cleaned the c:\windows\temp folder and then reinstalled it.

Slim, after the install, restarted the scan, but when it was done it showed the error window again...

Any idea ?

Also, do you know if softsqueze need to be upgraded too, going from 6.3.1 to 6.5b2 ??
Now when I start it on my laptop it says that it should be upgraded with a better optimed version...

Any idea ?

mherger
2006-09-12, 14:16
> Unistalled completely slimserver, cleaned the c:\windows\temp folder
> and then reinstalled it.

That's very probably not the temporary folder you need. Open a DOS window
and run "set". You should then see two values for "tmp" and "temp". Clean
these.

> Also, do you know if softsqueze need to be upgraded too, going from
> 6.3.1 to 6.5b2 ??

Softsqueeze is part of Slimserver. If you update Slimserver, you're also
upgrading Softsqueeze.

> Now when I start it on my laptop it says that it should be upgraded
> with a better optimed version...

How do you start it?

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

rtrimarchi
2006-09-12, 15:04
Michael,

Both TEMP and TMP folders (using SET) are pointing to C:\Documents and Settings\administrator\Impostazioni locali\Temp.

So I cleaned it.

Then Reinstalled slim....

NOTHING...NADA....

During the scan, I still get that error window.....
Infact, once I clear the error window, I see that SS has ONLY detected 1643 songs....when I instead have over 7000 songs.

About softsqueze.....,

I run the program version 2.8 and not the java version, but when I start it, I get this message:
"This version of SoftSqueeze is optimezed for slimserver 6.3 but you are running slimserver 6.5b2. It is recommended that you upgrade softsqueeze"

Then it gives me the option to download now, and it redirects me to http://softsqueeze.sourceforge.net.

Any idea ?

jcs77
2006-09-12, 18:29
On 12-Sep-06, at 7:16 AM, jcs77 wrote:
>
> Does anybody have any ideas on how to debug? Do you think this is a
> computer issue? Could a bad file cause the scanner to crash? Is the
> number of files an issue?
>
can you elaborate on the details of the crash? is there anything in
the event viewer?
Are you running any antivirus programs? MySQL has a known problem
working with anti-virus. The temp file gets locked during scanning and
mysql will time out and cause the scanner to die. If you are able to
alter the settings of your scanner, have it avoid .MYI files.

-kdf

I looked into the details of the error log file and the only thing out of the ordinary that I noticed was a reference to Monkey's Audio. I guess this is a file conversion program that slimserver uses. My gut feeling is that some non MP3 files are giving some problems. In my entire libray there are about 150 files with either ogg, wma, or m4a. I am going to delete all of these and try a rescan overnight. Will let you know tomorrow how it worked out.....

wr420
2006-09-12, 23:53
disclaimer: I don't run SS on windows.
Can you start from the command line in dos and do any degubing on windows? web interface?
If so turn on logging for scan and see if it stops on the same track each time.

I had some bad tags in a mp3 file that caused the scanner to crash in the same spot each time. What tipped me off was after a crash a could start the server manualy and it always showed the same number of songs. When I checked the logs it was the same song each time that the scanner crashed on .I wiped the tags for that one file and now its fine. You can also just copy it out of the music dir to test.
YMMV
good luck
matt

rtrimarchi
2006-09-13, 01:05
wr420,

- which debug key should I turn on ?
- How do I check the resulting log files (where are they located) ?

I think it could be a bad MP3 song too...even if the stop does not always occurs at the same song...it's variable.

Could you please drive me on how to debug this issue... I am getting crazy...

I would appreciate it....

THX, Ric

jcs77
2006-09-16, 15:42
Ok so I solved it. The scanner crash was due to some bad files. The debug process was painful though since none of the log files provided any detailed information. I ended up searching the database until I found songs that were alphabetically not included. I deleted the songs right at the cutoff of the list. A rescan after that produced the following result. Yhatzee!!!!

Your music library contains 8102 albums with 104056 songs by 9892 artists

Ben Sandee
2006-09-16, 16:25
On 9/16/06, jcs77 <jcs77.2e91kz1158446701 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> Ok so I solved it. The scanner crash was due to some bad files. The
> debug process was painful though since none of the log files provided
> any detailed information. I ended up searching the database until I
> found songs that were alphabetically not included. I deleted the songs
> right at the cutoff of the list. A rescan after that produced the
> following result. Yhatzee!!!!

I'm sure SlimDevices would be like to have copies of files that caused the
crash so they could fix things. In theory there should be no file that
could crash the server.

Ben

michaelch
2006-09-27, 06:55
Having the same problem the windows message keeps popping up saying scanner.exe has crashed. I had no problems until the update to 6.5. Has anyone a definitive diagnosis and solution?

illusion8055
2007-03-24, 02:37
Is there a FAQ somewhere showing how to debug and spot the problem file? From what I've seen so far, usually one playlist or audio track/tag is to blame for the crash, I just don't know how to find which one to fix...

In the end I hope they fix this, as I never got the crash with earlier versions of Slimserver.

FraKtus
2007-03-24, 05:48
Ok I had the same problem.

Each time I ran the scan it was crashing scanner.exe.

I did execute the command in the dos window (my media server is an XP machine)

I saw that it was crashing when scanning a cue file.

The cue files I had where not used anyway, so I did simply remove them.

Since I removed the cue files I have no crash anymore.

Hope this helps others.

Gurkburk
2007-06-20, 10:23
I have the same problem with scanner.exe crash.

Fraktus (or someone else):
What did you type in cmd to see which file causes the problem?
The log file don't show much...

Thanks

scottmd1
2007-06-21, 11:51
Hey all,

I am havnig the same issue...sort of. I dont get any errors from windows, but the scan of my library shows NOTHING! However, if I do a search/music folders everything shows up and works...and once i play it through the search / music folder menus it does show up in my library...

So, I did the scanner.ex --rescan e:/ through a dos prompt, and here is what I got...

2007-06-21 14.40.05.8004 scanPathOrURL: Finding valid files in: e:/

About to look for files in e:/
for files with extensions in: [<?i-xwm:\.<ape:wma:asf:was:lnk:wpl:wve:mp3:mp2:m3u:pls:xspf:f lc:flac:m4a:mov:m4b:mp4:cue:mp+:mpc:ogg:aif:aiff:l nk>$[

Can't opendir <E:\/System Volume infrmation>: Invalid argument at /PerlApp/File/Find/Rule.pm line 593

And that last one repeats over and over and over........

Running Win 2K, the latest version of SS and this all stopped one day, it was working/scanning fine, then one day it stoped

Any suggestions would be GREAT~!

andrew28
2007-06-25, 22:30
There definitely seems to be a problem with the scanning option. My stats are as follows: Windows Vista, brand new Squeezebox version 3.0 running on a wireless G Network, music stored on a HP Media Vault NA, connected to a laptop running the latest version of SlimServer. Initiated the scan option and noticed that the Web page never actually showed anything, no new albums or artists that had already been scanned. Going off another suggestion, I did a manual search for one album, found it, played it, and suddenly that kick-started the whole scanning process (continuing as I write this).

Question - how do I find the log file? Where is it located, and can I get to it through the web interface?

Mark Lanctot
2007-06-26, 16:53
Question - how do I find the log file? Where is it located, and can I get to it through the web interface?

Server Settings - Debugging. You first have to set a debugging tag, d_scan for scanning. Then after the scan, click on the "here" link, the last word of the paragraph at the top of the page.

jansandred
2007-12-19, 10:00
Had the same problem as most of you.
scanner.exe crashed after 157 files of ~15,000. Found out that it was a wav file. Both Windows Media Player and Winamp could play the file, but I disabled wav audio file extensions in SqueezeCenter and now scanner works ok.

(I'm using Version 7.0a1 beta)

mherger
2007-12-19, 10:15
> Had the same problem as most of you.

Then we'll ask the same as we're asking them: could you please upload some log file? Please turn on "scan.scanner" and start a full rescan.

Inigo Montoya
2007-12-20, 12:20
I've had scanner.exe crash on the daily builds of 7.0 from the past few days. It crashes during the album artwork scan. I'm a bit of a newbie, so forgive me if this is not what you are after, but the scanner.log gives many many lines of :

[07-12-20 13:39:03.5025] MP4::Info::parse_file (390) Warning: Argument "\x{1}" isn't numeric in numeric eq (==) at C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~1\server\lib/MP4/Info.pm line 390.
[07-12-20 13:39:03.8346] MP4::Info::parse_file (390) Warning: Argument "\x{1}" isn't numeric in numeric eq (==) at C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~1\server\lib/MP4/Info.pm line 390.

etc...

When I go back to the Dec 12 build, its fine.

ilves
2007-12-23, 09:37
Scanner.exe (Dec 22 nightly) also crashed on me during artwork scan. Artwork logging revealed that the crash was most likely caused by a corrupt embedded image in one of the mp3s (that I had in my library for more than 2 years). After removing the offending image from the mp3 tags scanner was able to complete fine.