PDA

View Full Version : Everything just stopped

fingers
2006-09-11, 18:55
All of a sudden yesterday, no more slimserver. None of my slimdevices (all wireless) can find the server. All of my other wireless devices, (2 laptops) can find the wireless network just fine. Just the squeezeboxes cannot. I have both a 2 & 3.

I have rebooted one of the Squeezeboxes to setup everything from scratch...but nothing. The Squeezebox continually says "cannot find the wireless network"

HELP

fingers
2006-09-11, 22:08
How does one turn off the Squeezebox? Other than pulling the power supply, they do not turn off now. They are not connecting to the wireless network, cannot configure them.. nothing is working... 19 people have read this thread... no one responds.

Please don't say contact support... I have a couple support issues already in the brew.. and they never respond.

It would be really nice to get the music going again.

pfarrell
2006-09-11, 22:17
fingers wrote:
> How does one turn off the Squeezebox? Other than pulling the power
> supply, they do not turn off now.

unplug it.
Go drink a beer.
then plug it in again

> Please don't say contact support... I have a couple support issues
> already in the brew.. and they never respond.

Contact support, this is not an official support mechanism

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

oreillymj
2006-09-11, 22:27
I recently had a similar problem, and discovered that someone with a Pre-N router had just arrived in the area. It's signal killed my wireless signal totally. My laptop would still connect, but SB wouldn't.

Eventually had to re-jig my wireless channel.

Have you done a site scan to see if there are any new routers found?

danco
2006-09-11, 23:57
How does one turn off the Squeezebox? Other than pulling the power supply, they do not turn off now.

Has there ever been a way of turning off the Squeezebox other than pulling the power supply?

Please don't say contact support... I have a couple support issues already in the brew.. and they never respond.

Can you phone support? My impression (I've never had to contact them so far) from various people's posts is that they are good in replying, but that replies sometimes get caught in smap traps (and, I think, on one occasion that the query itself was caught by SlimDevices' spam trap).

fingers
2006-09-12, 07:38
fingers wrote:
> How does one turn off the Squeezebox? Other than pulling the power
> supply, they do not turn off now.

unplug it.
Go drink a beer.
then plug it in again

> Please don't say contact support... I have a couple support issues
> already in the brew.. and they never respond.

Contact support, this is not an official support mechanism

--
Pat

Typically, when the computer that slimserver is installed on is shut down, the Squeezebox goes blank. There is nothing displayed on the the screen. Once Slimserver is turned back on, the Squeezebox display lights up. However, now even with the Slimserver computer shut down, the Squeezebox stays on trying to connect to the wireless network.

Yup... I am fully aware that this forum is not an "official support forum". I have read that numerous times here in the past. However, typically the reponces here have helped with all other situations I have run into with SlimServer and or the devices. I have raised 3 support tickets in the past. Communicaiton with support typically happens for about 1 or 2 emails and then disappears. I have a support ticket open with them right now and have not heard back anything for a couple weeks.

fingers
2006-09-12, 07:39
I recently had a similar problem, and discovered that someone with a Pre-N router had just arrived in the area. It's signal killed my wireless signal totally. My laptop would still connect, but SB wouldn't.

Eventually had to re-jig my wireless channel.

Have you done a site scan to see if there are any new routers found?

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "re-jig" my wireless channel? Yes, indeed there are some new wireless networks in the neighborhood. The funny thing is that my laptops don't see that they are there but my Squeezeboxes do.

I have even tried re-setting one of the Squeezeboxes to the factory default. Tried resetting up the wireless network and entered in the WPA encyption again. Give it the SSID and it continually is in a loop trying to connect.

pfarrell
2006-09-12, 07:52
fingers wrote:
> Yup... I am fully aware that this forum is not an "official support
> forum". I have read that numerous times here in the past. However,
> typically the reponces here have helped with all other situations I
> have run into with SlimServer and or the devices. I have raised 3
> support tickets in the past. Communicaiton with support typically
> happens for about 1 or 2 emails and then disappears.

Then don't use email. Call them up

--
Pat

fingers
2006-09-12, 07:57
fingers wrote:
> Yup... I am fully aware that this forum is not an "official support
> forum". I have read that numerous times here in the past. However,
> typically the reponces here have helped with all other situations I
> have run into with SlimServer and or the devices. I have raised 3
> support tickets in the past. Communicaiton with support typically
> happens for about 1 or 2 emails and then disappears.

Then don't use email. Call them up

--
Pat

I am looking right at the email exchange we have had.

oreillymj
2006-09-12, 13:47
Your wireless router will have a Web UI for configuration.

Based on the channels in use around you, you'll need to pick a free channel which is furthest away from the ones already in use.

It seems strange that your wireless laptop is not showing any of the wireless networks nearby, but a free piece of software called Netstumbler will. It will also show you the channel being used by each Network.

Change the channel on your router, then reboot the SB.

fingers
2006-09-13, 09:22
Your wireless router will have a Web UI for configuration.

Based on the channels in use around you, you'll need to pick a free channel which is furthest away from the ones already in use.

It seems strange that your wireless laptop is not showing any of the wireless networks nearby, but a free piece of software called Netstumbler will. It will also show you the channel being used by each Network.

Change the channel on your router, then reboot the SB.

Well... good news! I now have music again.

I did download Netstumbler however, it only showed my wireless network while each of the Squeezeboxes showed 3 other networks in the vicinity.

I did change the channel of my new wireless access point and also change it from AUTO to G only (not sure if that made any difference). Even though I was using the same non broadcast SSID and WPA encryption neither of the Squeezeboxes which were already configured for them would access the wireless network. I then reset both Squeezeboxes back to factury settings and set each one up again... presto! Finally have my music back.

fingers
2006-09-17, 20:02
Well, not so good news after all. After a few days, my Squeezeboxes cannot find the network again. Does anyone one have any other suggestions as to why all of a sudden none of my wireless Squeezeboxes can find the wireless network when all my other wirless devices can?