PDA

View Full Version : Security question - multiple user-profiles to access slim?

gutted
2006-09-11, 09:03
Sorted out slimserver to stream it through my firewall - I now can access my music collection from work. Good news for me, but perhaps not so good for my employer :)

But anyway - I was testing that it works, and asking various friends around the place to try to access it to see that it works... In the course of this, I've been telling everyone to download softsqueeze from the main SS web panel, rather than play around with SS itself.

It strikes me that it would be excellent to be able to have multiple user profiles access SS remotely. e.g. an Admin/root user profile, and a "guest" profile.

Is this already possible? Or do guests need to have my username and password before they can run softsqueeze from my library? I'd like my friends to be able to play from my music library, but I don't really want to give too many people a login to the web interface; I can imagine that at least one of my mates would find it hilarious to start it playing on full volume at 2am on a Saturday morning or something. I want to remove that temptation!

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Dan.

stinkingpig
2006-09-13, 06:28
On 9/11/06, gutted <gutted.2dz9qb1157990701 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> It strikes me that it would be excellent to be able to have multiple
> user profiles access SS remotely. e.g. an Admin/root user profile, and
> a "guest" profile.

It is not possible at this time, aside from the NoSetup plugin, which
doesn't really do what you want.

What I did last time I was in this situation was install SS on my work
machine with a copy of my library; my coworkers were welcome to connect to
it whenever they wanted, but nothing unfortunate would happen to my home
setup (including those late night wakeups). This solution requires a lax IT