PDA

View Full Version : Artist or album name is truncated w/"extended" character

thing-fish
2006-09-11, 07:58
You know the artist Bjork? Except that the "o" in her name has an umlat over it (Björk)? Well, via the Musicbrainz/Picard tagger I have the tag with the umlatted o. WMP, MusicMagicMixer and Winamp all display the tags fine. But SlimServer truncates the artist name to "Bj". Similarly she has an album called Medúlla that has an extended character, and Slimserver lists it as "Med", again even as

Is there a setting or something I need to toggle to get this type of extended ASCII character to show correctly? Picard is using ID3v2.3.0. What REALLY has me baffled is that there are some tracks for this artist, and even the Medulla album, that display OK in Slimserver, even as others have the truncation described above!

So, any recommendations for the characterset or other settings I should be using for tagging and/or Slimserver? Any help is appreciated. Note that I did test to see if MusicMagicMixer was the problem by disabling the plugin and doing a complete truncate/refresh of my music library using the path instead of MM. Same problem. :(

http://www.last.fm/user/thing-fish/

MrC
2006-09-11, 08:11
What version of slimserver?

In 6.5b / 7.0a it looks like:

Siduhe
2006-09-11, 08:11
Two suggestions which may help:

When tagging files via Picard which have umlauted / accented characters, try changing Options / Tags / Character Set. I find that sometimes setting the tag set to Latin ISO and forcing a resave in Picard, then doing a full clear and rescan fixes the problem.

Do any of the accented / umlauted characters appear in the file name itself (not the tags, the actual file name) ? If so, rename the offending files without the unicode characters and do a full clear and rescan.

thing-fish
2006-09-11, 08:44
What version of slimserver?

In 6.5b / 7.0a it looks like:

Thanks for the screenshot! I am:
SlimServer Version: 6.3.1 - 8476 - freebsd - EN - iso-8859-1

thing-fish
2006-09-11, 08:47
When tagging files via Picard which have umlauted / accented characters, try changing Options / Tags / Character Set. I find that sometimes setting the tag set to Latin ISO and forcing a resave in Picard, then doing a full clear and rescan fixes the problem.

OK, I'll give that a try. I'm almost positive I used the Latin rather than the Unicode character set, but I'll give it a try again and force a resave.

Do any of the accented / umlauted characters appear in the file name itself (not the tags, the actual file name) ? If so, rename the offending files without the unicode characters and do a full clear and rescan.

YES. The filenames are coming right out of the tag names. I didn't think this would matter because I figured that SlimServer was getting the info out of the tag rather than the filename. Is this not the case?

Note that I was thinking I had to do something about the filenames anyway, because I think that there have been times when MusicMagicMixer has not added stuff to my library because it hasn't been able to "see" the files in the filesystem. Don't know if I need to tweak FreeBSD or MM for that, but I was thinking along those lines anyway. If it helps SlimServer as well then that will be cool.

gerph
2006-09-11, 09:55
You know the artist Bjork? Except that the "o" in her name has an umlat over it (Björk)? Well, via the Musicbrainz/Picard tagger I have the tag with the umlatted o. WMP, MusicMagicMixer and Winamp all display the tags fine. But SlimServer truncates the artist name to "Bj". Similarly she has an album called Medúlla that has an extended character, and Slimserver lists it as "Med", again even as

Is there a setting or something I need to toggle to get this type of extended ASCII character to show correctly? Picard is using ID3v2.3.0. What REALLY has me baffled is that there are some tracks for this artist, and even the Medulla album, that display OK in Slimserver, even as others have the truncation described above!

If you could put a file which is misidentified in a place that is accessible, I'll be happy to have a look at it and see whether I can explain/fix the problem for you ? If you don't feel like doing that because that'd be distributing copyright material, etc, then you can do the following :

Find a file that contains any old rubbish (a text file is a good example - create one in NotePad if you like) and rename it to 'test.mp3'.
(alternatively you could find a random small MP3, say sub 10 seconds, and use that)
Tag the MP3 exactly as you would normally for a known broken name, etc.
Place in your collection and confirm that the new file has come out incorrectly in the list.
Upload the file to some server and let us know the address so that we can look at it and go 'huh?'.

Alternatively, if you can cause the problem to occur reproducibly with any file using Picard, then write down the steps you took and the text you entered to cause it to happen and post them here, then we can repeat without transferring any files at all.

Siduhe
2006-09-11, 10:42
YES. The filenames are coming right out of the tag names. I didn't think this would matter because I figured that SlimServer was getting the info out of the tag rather than the filename. Is this not the case?

I'm probably the least qualified person to answer that ! All I can say is that when I have problems with accented characters showing up in Slimserver (in 6.2, 6.3 and early versions of 6.5) that couldn't be resolved by using a different tagset, I've been able to resolve the problem by renaming the filenames to exclude any accented characters. I understand from other threads there's no reason why accented file names shouldn't work (and some people do have them working fine) - but my experience is that it's always better to rename.

Be interested to know if this also works for you.