PDA

View Full Version : Slim service shuting down during MMM validation process

rtrimarchi
2006-09-11, 05:28
Is any of you experienced the problem of having Slim Service shuting down when the MMM validation is Still running ?
I have SS 6.3.1 and MMM v1.7.
MMM 1.7 is running as a service but I have not implemented the hack in the registry, due to this strange issue.

If you have found the solution, would you please share it with me cause I am going crazy...

I would appreciate any help from you experts...

I am very new to both....

Thanks, Rico

Siduhe
2006-09-11, 05:52
Can you tell us a bit more about your setup ? In particular, is Slimserver set to take information from MusicIP (formerly MusicMagic) ? If so, what is the reload interval for MusicMagic set to ?

As a general comment, validation for MusicMagic is a very resource intensive process, and many people have experienced problems when asking any other program (including Slimserver) to do anything when the validation is ongoing.

See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=24181&page=2 for example.

You could try setting the MusicMagic validation priority to low, but my suggestion would be to change the priority to high and just leave MIP to run overnight and validate, rather than trying to use both MusicMagic and Slimserver at the same time. It works fine once validation is finished.

HTH

rtrimarchi
2006-09-11, 06:18
Thanks Siduhe for the quick answer...

Let me give you more info....

SS is configured to take mp3 from the same folder MIP is set to. Furthermore, MIP detects the presence of slimserver as player and is able to send it tracks (with "send to").
Slimserver is set to use MIP and NOT use iTunes.
The Reload interval is 59 (originally was 60).

Any suggestions....

Thanks in advance, Ric

Siduhe
2006-09-11, 06:29
Yes, as noted above my suggestion is to set MIP validation priority to "high" and leave your computer overnight - this lets MIP finish the validiation before telling Slimserver to use MIP.

MIP validation is very resource hungry and often causes other processes to crash (not just Slimserver).

The other option, is to set the validation priority for MIP to "low" and see if this allows you to continue using your PC.

You may also want to try setting the reload interval to 0 (off) whilst validation is taking place. This may make the system usable.

rtrimarchi
2006-09-11, 09:49
Thanks a lot Siduhe,

I will wait till it finishes and I will test your settings...

One last question.... Should I do the registry hack to have them both running as services or not ?

I did it before and SS was shuting down ....therefore I removed it, but now I believe it was not the real problem.

Thanks again, Ric

cparker
2006-09-11, 10:10
Thanks a lot Siduhe,

I will wait till it finishes and I will test your settings...

One last question.... Should I do the registry hack to have them both running as services or not ?

I did it before and SS was shuting down ....therefore I removed it, but now I believe it was not the real problem.

Thanks again, Ric

I would recommend the registry hack as it keeps everything running together when they need to and brings them up in the right order when you reboot.

For the record it causes no problems for me

Siduhe
2006-09-11, 10:33
I would recommend the registry hack as it keeps everything running together when they need to and brings them up in the right order when you reboot.

For the record it causes no problems for me

Ditto for me. Once validation is finished, everything with MIP runs smoothly. I actually run MIP headless using the command line option (http://www.music.predixis.com/headless.html) rather than the registry hack, but this is only available if you have purchased a key for MIP rather than using the free version.