PDA

View Full Version : Infrant NAS

Dinger928
2006-09-09, 14:21
Hey all, I've been reading this forum for a little while I try to figure out this whole NAS thing so I can run several squeezeboxs without the help of a computer.

I do have one question though. If I were to be using one of the Infrant solutions and have slimserver loaded on it, would it still act like a storage drive outside of the slimserver for other computers in the house? So I could still have photos and data loaded onto the infrant as well as it being a slimserver?

Thanks to anyone who can set me straight on this. Its pretty confusing for me at least.

pfarrell
2006-09-09, 14:30
Dinger928 wrote:
> Hey all, I've been reading this forum for a little while I try to figure
> out this whole NAS thing so I can run several squeezeboxs without the
> help of a computer.

But a NAS is just a computer. It is nothing more than a hard disk, CPU,
some memory and a network connection, with suitable software.

It may be easier to support, need less administration, etc. but it is a
computer.

> I do have one question though. If I were to be using one of the
> Infrant solutions and have slimserver loaded on it, would it still act
> like a storage drive outside of the slimserver for other computers in
> the house? So I could still have photos and data loaded onto the
> infrant as well as it being a slimserver?

yes. SlimServer is just an application that runs on a computer.
You can still run other applications on it. Most of them will be
automatic and you may not even think of them as applications, but they
are. The standard application that lets Windows computers share files
with a NAS or any other Linux box is called samba.

Computers are everywhere. Your microwave oven has one, your cablebox is
one, cell phones have them (or are them), and all cars have many
computers. They just don't crash and show a Blue Screen of Death as
often as some other computers do.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

Dinger928
2006-09-09, 15:42
Well, that is good news. Thanks for the reply.

So to sum it all up, I can load the slimserver software onto the unit, and still use the rest of the storage space to just store photos, videos, or anything else the family may want to store on it? The entire unit does have to be dedicated strictly to slimserver?

Thanks

synergicity
2006-09-09, 16:57
Well, you can't really "load the slimserver software" as it is embedded on the OS image that Infrant provides. When there is an upgrade in slimserver, you have to wait for Infrant to build their version of it and then update your NAS. You can't run nightly builds or run plug-ins that aren't supported by Infrant.

I have one and like it a lot, despite the above. It serves music to a couple slimp3's and a couple squeezeboxes. And it serves video to a modded xbox as well as backing up several computers in the household. I have 4 320 gb drives in raid5 and it works well.

Dinger928
2006-09-10, 00:14
synergicity: So if I were to pick up a used Infrant X6, I wouldn't be able to "load" slimserver onto it? I would have to purchase a new unit from Infrant in order to have this preloaded onto it?

I guess I'm getting more and more confused here.

funkstar
2006-09-10, 03:19
what synergicity means is that you can't download the regular version of SlimServer for the SlimDevices website, you have to get the one provided by Infrant.

Slimserver can be installed on any ReadyNAS you buy second hand. just download the SlimServer addon from Infrant and install it as per their instructions.

The version of SlimServer that Infrant supply has been customised to work with their hardware. I don't know what this involves, but it means it is a closed system and you can't get at the install files to modify it like you could with a PC running the normal version.

If you find a plugin or a web interface skin that you want to use and isn't included in the Infrant version, there is no way to add it. You can request that it is added on the Infrant message boards. I think they are quite willing to add things like that.

hope this clears it up for you :)

Heuer
2006-09-10, 06:08
Funkstar is correct. Infrant provide a Slimserver download (currently version 6.3) which contains just about everything you need in the way of plugins. If you just want to play music from your SB3 it works fine although you really need to upgrade the memory to 1Gb if you have a large (5,000+ files) music collection. The advantage is the music you have spent so long ripping is protected by the RAID archetecture of the NAS - one of the HD's fails - just plug in another and nothing is lost. With up to 1.5 terrabytes storage available from four 500gb HD's you can use it to backup everything without worry. Your main PC can be switched off and the SB3 will still play the music off the ReadyNAS. Sleep mode allows the ReadyNAS to spin down when not in use to reduce noise and heat.

If you want to muck about with Slimserver beta's though you will have to do that via your computer - run Slimserver beta on the PC and access the music files on the NAS.

Apart from a memory upgrade (pretty essential in my experience) you also need a UPS (see Infrant Hardware compatbility list for UPS and memory) as a NAS does not like a disordely shutdown and you could corrupt your data in the event of power failure. Also these boxes are very noisy so you need to locate it in an attic, basement or outbuilding if you want to preserve your sanity!