PDA

View Full Version : Could this answer our remote control dreams?

CardinalFang
2006-09-06, 01:44
The chumby, a soon to be released $150 Wifi enabled home computing device with colour screen:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/05/hands-on-with-the-chumby/

It even has a squeeze sensor - now how could that be used for music selection?! Seriously though, it's open source, so I'm sure we could turn it into a seriously good remote control.

Paul

gwak
2006-09-06, 02:55
The chumby, a soon to be released $150 Wifi enabled home computing device with colour screen:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/05/hands-on-with-the-chumby/

It even has a squeeze sensor - now how could that be used for music selection?! Seriously though, it's open source, so I'm sure we could turn it into a seriously good remote control.

Paul

If i understood correctly the chumby only runs flash apps?

If so someone should get cracking on a flash version of the slimserver UI

-gwak

MikeWynneDub
2006-09-06, 02:55
Whatever about squeezing to select music, it would make an ideal tactile volume control method.

Michaelwagner
2006-09-06, 05:27
Here are some quick URLs into their docs.

http://wiki.chumby.com/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page

http://wiki.chumby.com/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page#Hacking_the_chumby

they won't start shipping until sometime in the first quarter of next year (March 2007 expected).

http://wiki.chumby.com/mediawiki/index.php/Hacking_hardware_for_chumby

The Alpha chumby runs a modified linux 2.4.20 kernel.

http://wiki.chumby.com/mediawiki/index.php/Hacking_Linux_for_chumby

You program it using open laszlo for the flash, but it also has a python on it. They have a toolchain for it.

Oh, they say you can get your hands on a prototype if you have a sufficiently compelling ap for it.

Ben?

Mark Lanctot
2006-09-06, 06:18
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=26888

Will the thing ever be available outside the U.S.? Nokia still doesn't sell the 770 in Canada and at this rate probably never will.

I'm also worried it will be a stillborn technology and die a quick death like so many other cool-gotta-have-it gadgets from new startups that never get off the drawing board.

The squeezeable interface is neat though. Squeezing to control a Squeezebox - heh.

Michaelwagner
2006-09-06, 08:31
We could always shuffle off to Buffalo.

Mark Lanctot
2006-09-06, 08:42
We could always shuffle off to Buffalo.

And organize a group buy! :-)

Although I wonder what the customs officials will say:

"You organized a trip just so you could buy a 'chumby' for your 'Squeezebox'? Come with me."

Michaelwagner
2006-09-06, 08:51
Well, we have a while to think up some good lines...general availability isn't until spring 2007 (unless you want to get a pre-production hand sample by filling in a clever answer to the question of why you deserve one).

CardinalFang
2006-09-06, 11:49
Well, we have a while to think up some good lines...general availability isn't until spring 2007 (unless you want to get a pre-production hand sample by filling in a clever answer to the question of why you deserve one).

Well I think being able to control another open source media device would go down well, although we can't all have one! If we could get a Flash based interface running well on the chumby I'd by one when they come out, a graphical remote is the missing element for me and if it were re-housed in a SB3-type enclosure for the Transporter and SB3 it would really add value to the product range, IMO. Plus it'd be sooooo much cheaper than the Sonos.

Perhaps Slim should blag one for internal use?

Paul

Mark Lanctot
2006-09-06, 12:19
If we could get a Flash based interface running well on the chumby I'd by one when they come out, a graphical remote is the missing element for me and if it were re-housed in a SB3-type enclosure for the Transporter and SB3 it would really add value to the product range, IMO.

Yes, they are very open on their site about being able to use a custom enclosure with it and strongly encourage this.

A nice brushed alumimum enclosure with rounded edges like the SB3 - oooooh! (Shows up fingerprints real nice though).

Perhaps Slim should blag one for internal use?

I wish they would!

CardinalFang
2006-09-06, 12:32
A nice brushed alumimum enclosure with rounded edges like the SB3 - oooooh! (Shows up fingerprints real nice though).

Hmmm... aluminium isn't that squeezable though! You would need to have a soft surface on the top to adjust volume, although a black rubber enclosure would be cool, it wouldn't break when you dropped it and it can be moulded to give it a really cool look.

It's crying out to be set into furniture though, how about a remote installed into the arm of a chair? :-)

Paul

Michaelwagner
2006-09-06, 13:12
It's crying out to be set into furniture though, how about a remote installed into the arm of a chair? :-)

I like that idea, but it has limited power, I gather. Only runs for an hour on batteries. At least I think that's what someone said. Unconfirmed, of course.

bklaas
2006-09-06, 13:57
Personally, I think this thing looks like a piece-o-crap, but here's a recent post on ehomeupgrade for all you chumbylovers:
http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/2997/hands-on_with_chumby

cheers,
#!/ben

CardinalFang
2006-09-06, 14:23
Personally, I think this thing looks like a piece-o-crap

Now don't be evasive, tell me what you really thnk :-) I agree, out of the box, it looks a bit cheap 'n' nasty, but I'm intersted in the customisation potential. I'd rehouse it myself into a black leather case. As for power, you could probably build a cradle with a bit of engineering.

The problem we face is that devices like the Nokia 770 will cease manufacturing before too long and will be hard to get in the future.

Paul

Mark Lanctot
2006-09-06, 14:31
Oh oh, it uses a 9V battery and (apparently) burns it up in an hour?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33515138@N00/230076721/

Although you'd obviously get an NiMH for that sucker, it would be in the charger more often than out. And if you don't have any way to charge it from outside it would be open more often than not.

I was under the impression this was a portable device, but now it's looking like the battery is just provided for backup much like the clock radio it's intended to replace, and that the device is designed to be on mains power at all times.

Dealbreaker?

Michaelwagner
2006-09-06, 17:31
Well, here's one answer:

Before you do anything else, connect the AC adaptor to your chumby and plug it in. Your chumby does have a battery for temporary loss of AC power, but if you run the chumby off the battery alone you might get an hour out of it before you're looking at a blank, lifeless screen.

More info:

266 MHz ARM controller (the MX21 by Freescale)
32 MB SDRAM running at 133 MHz bus speed
64 MB NAND FLASH ROM

CardinalFang
2006-09-07, 03:53
I was under the impression this was a portable device, but now it's looking like the battery is just provided for backup much like the clock radio it's intended to replace, and that the device is designed to be on mains power at all times.

Dealbreaker?

I guess that depends on whether you want to walk about with it in your hand or have it sitting on a table. I have to agree that having a cable hanging out of the back all the time is horrible and it would need modifying to support a rechargable battery and docking station to be a really good solution. I could also see it being mounted in a wall or in a kitchen cabinet.

Is it a dealbreaker? I'm not sure, I think I could live with the shortcomings at that price and it could be fun to hack around.

Paul

Michaelwagner
2006-09-07, 04:50
I find it hard to believe it can consume an entire 9V battery in one hour. It's a processor, 64MB of ROM, 32MB of RAM, a display and a touch panel, and a WIFI unit.

Well, with the auxilliary board and servo motor controller, it supplies a fair bit of power for motors and things. Maybe in that configuration it eats power.

The good news is, there's more room in that battery compartment for more battery, and the power supply schematic would seem to indicate it can eat anything from about 5 to 14 volts, so 4 D cells should last a bit longer. Of course, it would be the world's heaviest remote.

But could double as a self-defence unit in case of home invasion.

Mark Lanctot
2006-09-07, 06:23
The good news is, there's more room in that battery compartment for more battery, and the power supply schematic would seem to indicate it can eat anything from about 5 to 14 volts, so 4 D cells should last a bit longer. Of course, it would be the world's heaviest remote.

But could double as a self-defence unit in case of home invasion.

There's always those big lantern batteries.

Kyle
2006-09-07, 07:00
There's always those big lantern batteries.

That would work well in the exercise room.

Michaelwagner
2006-09-07, 08:03
I wonder if putting a big solar cell on the top of it would drive it during daylight hours.

esstee
2006-09-08, 23:20
Hi,

I'm Steve Tomlin, the CEO of Chumby Industries. I'm also a Squeezebox owner and I *love* it (versus every other streaming MP3 player I've owned, and that's probably been every one!) -- in fact just bought the super high-end one (it better be worth it!) And I love the fact that, like the chumby, the Squeezebox is designed for people to add functionality to it.

I would love to see people create ways for the chumby to interact with the Squeezebox/Slim Server. It *would* be great to have the chumby serve as a kind of remote control for Slim Server. And what I *really* want, and I might dedicate a full chumby to solely this purpose, is to show me the album art and the song title of the song that's streaming. How cool would *that* be -- and how popular at my next party!

Hey, thanks for the support here.

Warning: I really don't spend much time on this Forum, too busy dealing with our own at: http://forum.chumby.com/ . So if you want to respond to this, please do so over there.

We *really* appreciate your interest.

Michaelwagner
2006-09-08, 23:36
Can we get a few of the prototypes for testing purposes?

[glad to see someone else keeps office hours :=) ]