PDA

View Full Version : browse music folders problem

georgem
2006-09-05, 18:14
Hi;

I'm mostly using 'browse music folders' to find the music to play and I have run into strange issue. If the folder name is the same as the artist in tags, I can not browse into the folder. Example of directory path

/work/slim/jazz/Jarret, Keith

when browsing I've got the following

Title: Jarret, Keith
File Format: Unknown
Date Modified: Tuesday, September 5, 2006, 9:09:31 PM

Once I change the name of the last directory to let say temp, browsing is ok. Has anybody experienced this behaviour ?

George

SlimServer Version: 6.3.1 - 8476 - Linux - EN - utf8, Fedora Core 5.

radish
2006-09-05, 22:02
I'd actually guess it has more to do with the space and/or the comma than the fact that the tag matches. Try chaging it to "test test" or "test, test" and see what happens.

georgem
2006-09-06, 04:59
I did try "test, test" and also "Keith, Jarret" and the browsing works fine. I have also run file check utilities to ensure that there are no os problems.
Is there a way to rescan music library without Artist tags ?

George

radish
2006-09-06, 07:04
The thing is, Browse Music Folder doesn't use the tag database, it only goes on the file name. So it really shouldn't matter what's in the db. Can you get to the tracks using the conventional methods (browse artist, search etc?).

georgem
2006-09-06, 18:24
Hi;

No I could not get to all the tracks via album or artist.
So I did the following:

pointed server to empty directory
full rescan
was able to browse to all folders
after I have reset the music folder to proper directory and rerun scan, browse folders did pick up the folder I had a problem with.

Works fine now, but I'm not sure what was wrong. Hopefully it will stay working, as I have given up on a sensible tag editing (too much work for complex music, I mostly listen to classical and some jazz) and accept whatever freedb throws at me.

Thanks for help, tip about using album and artist to get to my music pointed me in the right direction.

georgem
2006-10-05, 08:41
Just to let you know that this problem showed up again.

I have upgraded to 6.5, worked with the support, still issue persist.

I will cross post to linux forum.

georgem
2006-10-15, 09:45
Finally I think I found what the problem was.
In Home>>Server Setting>>Formatting there is an option for "GUESS TAGS FORMATS". Once I deleted all formats, my browsing works as you would expect.

georgem
2006-11-02, 09:20
My problem with browsing music folders would not completely go away despite trying different setting on the server. Eventually, I started to look at the code and here it was. In Perl module Info.pm there is a simple test to see if a particular path is a directory or a file. Some of my directories were not recognized as such, because I had a trailing blank in the directory name and slimserver code was stripping all trailing blanks from the path before the 'dir' check.

>>Bach, J.S. << is not the same as >>Bach, J.S.<<

Kind of obvious, but I could not see this until I noticed that slimserver code drops all trailing blanks. On occasion I would have trailing blank in a directory name as I create/or change them manually.

I'm running 6.5.1 October 10 build.