PDA

View Full Version : Play Music Thru Computer Speakers

pacard
2006-09-05, 09:11
Is there anyway to listen to whatever is playing on SlimServer thru my computer's speakers?

jeffluckett
2006-09-05, 09:26
There's SoftSqueeze which is a Java application that emulates the functionality of a SqueezeBox.

Look at the "SoftSqueeze" link on your SlimServers' web interface home page under the "Help" section:

http://[your_server_ip]:9000/Default/html/softsqueeze/index.html

Also, you can also connect to the stream via Winamp and a few other apps that allow you to listen to Streams.

Look at the "Remote Streaming" link on your SlimServer's web interface home page under the "Help" section.

http://[your_server_ip]:9000/default/html/docs/remotestreaming.html

slimpy
2006-09-05, 09:28
Very short answer: Yes
Short answer: SoftSqueeze
Longer answer: Bring up the Slimserver web interface and look under Help - SoftSqueeze

-s.

pacard
2006-09-06, 07:34
Thanks for the responses guys.

So, if I use Softsqueeze in the office will it be synchronized with the music I'm streaming to my other room (via SlimServer)?

pc

I'm kind of surprised that there's isn't a setting in SlimServer to play music on the computer's speakers. Is there a way to request the feature?

radish
2006-09-06, 08:08
I'm kind of surprised that there's isn't a setting in SlimServer to play music on the computer's speakers. Is there a way to request the feature?
Slimserver is just that - a music server - not a player.

Mark Lanctot
2006-09-06, 08:14
So, if I use Softsqueeze in the office will it be synchronized with the music I'm streaming to my other room (via SlimServer)?

For best synchronization results you should use two hardware players. Synching SoftSqueeze with a hardware player works well for some but not for others, you'll have to try it out.

That's what SoftSqueeze is for.

The difference is architectural. SlimServer is not like Winamp or foobar. It's not an audio player, it's an audio server that breaks up music files into packets for streaming. Therefore it doesn't even need a soundcard to operate.

I'd estimate that most users use SlimServer to send sound to a hardware player elsewhere in the house. If you want to play music on your computer speakers, media players like Winamp or foobar are much more direct, easier to control and lighter on resources. SlimServer is not designed to do the tasks they do because it has a different job altogether.

SlimServer is cross-platform. If it had a direct link to the soundcard you'd need audio drivers for each platform - a daunting task and one that's unnecessary since there's SoftSqueeze.

pacard
2006-09-07, 08:04
Thanks for the responses. I installed SoftSqueeze and got them synced. It works great.....Now two rooms of blissful music!

pc

Mark Lanctot
2006-09-07, 08:10
Good to hear!

Note you can also stream to a media player like Winamp, Windows Media Player or foobar by pointing it to http://<slimserver IP>:9000/stream.mp3 but synchronization won't be possible.