PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 r9373 Remote Control Response Hosed

jdvmi
2006-09-03, 19:35
I was running the 9/1/2006 6.5b just fine then I did a clean install of the 6.5b from 9/3/2006 and now my squeezeboxes will not respond to my remote controls once the units completely boot. Here is the strange part if I unplug the devices then plug them back in when the screen comes up saying to press > to enter setup, the unit responds just fine to all my commands via the remote, but once it's done and at the "now playing" screen ALL remote control operations fail, the unit will not respond to ANY remote control operations. They respond just fine to the web interface controls. Anyone else seeing this. Obviously I'm going to have to revert back to an older build because without remote operations things are quite a pain :) Thanks for the help!

~Jim

khedspeth
2006-09-03, 19:54
Same problem here. This makes it worse. The brightness key doesn't work to update the firmware when you try to go back. Is there a way to force a firmware update from the command line?

Kevin

jdvmi
2006-09-03, 19:59
Oh crap, didn't even think about that. I sure hope there is a way to do a forced firmware or else there will be a lot of $300 bricks out there :p

kdf
2006-09-03, 20:14
if you can use the remote during setup after a reset of the player, then it isn't the firmware.

Check the player settings from the web UI, make sure you have the slim devices remote checked as enabled. I know you may think it is already, but check it anyway just in case something crazy happened.
-kdf

jdvmi
2006-09-03, 20:26
if you can use the remote during setup after a reset of the player, then it isn't the firmware.

Check the player settings from the web UI, make sure you have the slim devices remote checked as enabled. I know you may think it is already, but check it anyway just in case something crazy happened.
-kdf

Hey kdf,
It was checked. I had messed around with un-checking the jbl option too as I read in another thread that it fixed a slowness issue, but that didn't help either. At any rate I was able to get back to the 9/1/2006 build and firmware 60 and everything is working again.

Dave Gray
2006-09-04, 02:33
Same problem here too on the 6.5b nightly (9/3/2006) XP SP2.

This is effecting both my SB3 and SB2. I'm now trying to revert to a previous build. Holding down the brightness key just crashes my router (Belkin 7633). I've installed a number of nightly builds before and have never had any problems reverting to earlier builds.

I've tried a factory reset and re-programming the Xilinix.

I might try a crossover cable and plug into the back of the server to see if that works.

An other ideas gratefully received!

Thanks

jdvmi
2006-09-04, 08:13
An other ideas gratefully received!

Thanks

Here is what I did...
1) un-plug the squeezebox from the power adapter.
2) hold down the add button on the remote.
3) while still holding down the add button plug the squeezebox back into the power adapter
4) this should put you in a state where it's asking for configuration information. I entered the config information then the next thing it wanted me to do was hold down the brightness key.
5) hold down the brightness key and the firmware starts to update.

Hope this helps. Let us know as there are probably some other ways of doing this.

~Jim

Dave Gray
2006-09-04, 08:30
Thanks Jim

I'll try again tonight, I'll post the results later!

Dave

stevekdavis
2006-09-04, 10:49
another one here with unresponsive SB2 via SB remote. 4th Sept Beta.

If I roll back, which was the last date NOT to have this issue?

jdvmi
2006-09-04, 11:29
another one here with unresponsive SB2 via SB remote. 4th Sept Beta.

If I roll back, which was the last date NOT to have this issue?

9/1/2006 works ok for me

Matt Kreiner
2006-09-04, 11:43
i think i had this issue...
Sept 4 nightly of 7.0a1 installed, try to wake up server from the SB3 device using remote, display kept turning off

low and behold, the server was stopped on my computer running winxp32, Linksys WRT54G router.
complete uninstall then reinstall Sept 4 nightly, was able to flash to FW 61, but the server on the computer keeps crashing, server stops, restart, then stops immediately

Sept 1 nightly was fine for me

let me know how to create a log and I will submit it in this forum

Dave Gray
2006-09-04, 12:22
I've fixed this now. I had a working version of Slimserver on an Ubuntu partition (firmware 59).

I booted into Ubuntu and then forced a factory reset, both my Squeezeboxes once set up flashed without any problems.

I then copied across the entire firmware directory from '\usr\share\slimserver\server' onto a hard drive shared by both Windows and Linux partitions. Back in Windows I stopped Slimserver and replaced the folder 'C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\Firmware' with the folder containing firmware 59.

After a re-start all seems fine.

Cheers

Dave

rtitmuss
2006-09-04, 14:50
I have just tracked this down, and the problem is fixed in r9419. It is a slimserver fix, you don't need new firmware.

Richard

jdvmi
2006-09-04, 15:52
I have just tracked this down, and the problem is fixed in r9419. It is a slimserver fix, you don't need new firmware.

Richard

Awesome, thanks Richard!

stevekdavis
2006-09-09, 16:05
I did get this fixed by following the earlier tip to power on holding the add key.

Well the servers just been rebooted and my SB2 is not responding to the remote again. Tried the factory reset but no luck this time.

I've also just loaded the 9/9 version of 6.5b and still not working.

Any ideas?

Steve

stevekdavis
2006-09-10, 09:32
any ideas on how to fix this? If not, i'm going to have to revert back to 6.3

cheers

steve

Dan Sully
2006-09-10, 09:37
* stevekdavis shaped the electrons to say...

>any ideas on how to fix this? If not, i'm going to have to revert back
>to 6.3

Yes, please update to the latest nightly. This issue has been fixed.

As a general note - if you're tracking the nightlies, it's always best to
stay current, as bugs are being actively fixed. If you have an issue, search
the bug database (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/) for your issue. Often you
will find it either in a open or closed state. If the bug has been
fixed/closed, there will be a change revision included in the comments of the
bug report.

Thanks.

-D
--
<dr.pox> does whistling in the dark make me go blind faster?

stevekdavis
2006-09-10, 11:39
I did try last nights version so has it been fixed today? I'll give the 10th sept version a try.

Steve

stevekdavis
2006-09-10, 11:48
no luck. 10th sept version still has this issue for me. Running on Win server 2003 sbs with 512mb ram connected to a squeezebox and an SB2. The squeezebox works fine and I can control the SB2 via the web but just no response via the remote. Pressing and holding the power button still performs a reboot of the SB2.

steve

stevekdavis
2006-09-11, 14:02
OK, this is really strange. For some reason the Squeezebox remote is now working and yet my philips Pronto isn't, even though it copies the same remote. So something has definately changed with the remote settings in 6.5b.

I have both slim remote and the jvc remote ticked in the settings and my philips pronto still controls my squeezebox, just not the SB2.

any ideas?