PDA

View Full Version : Draytek Vigor 2800VG Do they work OK now?

RogerB
2006-09-03, 16:02
I have finally given up trying to live with my Linksys WAG54G, which is completely useless, and am looking for a new router. I had just about decided on a Draytek Vigor 2800VG (there seems to be general agreement that they are the best and they currently have good deals where you can get the V version for the same price as the standard one).

Then I read all the stuff here about the problems Vigors have working with Squeeezeboxes.

Please could some one confirm that these problems have been solved and, possibly with a firmware upgrade, the 2800VG will work reliably with my SB3, rev 48 firmware.

<opencanofworms>

If not, what routers would people recommend?

My current view, from experience and reading forums, is that Belkin may well be rubbish, Linksys are definitely rubbish and Netgear might be OK (or might not be, I used to have a DG834G which I could never get to ADSL sync and returned, though I now think this was probably a faulty phone line, despite BT testing the line and swearing it was OK).

I am after a reliable router and I don't mind paying a bit extra to get it.

</opencanofworms>

Thanks

- Roger

Mark Lanctot
2006-09-03, 16:23
Linksys are definitely rubbish

How did you get that impression?

This is definitely not true. I haven't seen an issue with an SB and a Linksys WRT54G that hasn't been resolved.

Now the *new* WRT54G versions I'd agree with you - the v5 and v6 versions are crippled. But the older v2-v4 versions and the current WRT54GL should work very well with the SB.

I have my v4 (same as a GL) working with WPA2-AES, an SB3, an SB2 and a wireless laptop without any issues at all in a interference-heavy environment.

Kevin O. Lepard
2006-09-03, 17:15
>the current WRT54GL should work very well with the SB.

And another advantage of the WRT54GL (as well as some other routers,
e.g., the WRT54G) is that you can install a variety of custom
firmwares on them that really increase their capabilities if you're
interested. I like Sveasoft, but there are several others.
--
Kevin O. Lepard

Happiness is being 100% Microsoft free.

Mark Lanctot
2006-09-03, 18:02
And another advantage of the WRT54GL (as well as some other routers,
e.g., the WRT54G) is that you can install a variety of custom
firmwares on them that really increase their capabilities if you're
interested. I like Sveasoft, but there are several others.

Kevin: I'm in full agreement, running DD-WRT v23 SP1 on my WRT54G v4.

But just a word of warning for anyone considering this, the current WRT54Gs are very limited and you generally won't be able to do this with a new v5 or v6. You can get a mini build of DD-WRT v23 on these units though, but it won't have all the features and will be severely RAM-limited.

Best to stick with the v2-v4 or the "L" if you're planning on doing this. They have the full 4 MB ROM/16 MB RAM.

See http://www.linksysinfo.org/portal/forums/showthread.php?t=47124

Kevin O. Lepard
2006-09-03, 21:10
>Best to stick with the v2-v4 or the "L" if you're planning on doing
>this. They have the full 4 MB ROM/16 MB RAM.

Agreed. The only way to be sure is to get the GL (WRT54GL), since
there's no way that I know of to tell if it's version 2-4 on the box.

Kevin
--
Kevin O. Lepard

Happiness is being 100% Microsoft free.

Mark Lanctot
2006-09-03, 21:21
Agreed. The only way to be sure is to get the GL (WRT54GL), since
there's no way that I know of to tell if it's version 2-4 on the box.

Check the link I posted - it contains serial numbers for each version. Apparently there are no v1-v3s left in retail channels, and probably no v4s left either.

There's no serial numbers for the "L" version, but that will have a different model number anyway.

RogerB
2006-09-04, 01:24
How did you get that impression?

By owning one.

OK maybe it would be better to say "the Linksys WAG54G V1.0 with firmware V2.0.17 (and every other version of firmware, rest assured I've tried them all)" is rubbish.

It has now got to the stage where I have to reboot it every 2 or 3 hours as it has dropped the ADSL connction; sometimes the lights on the front say it is connected but the server status page says it isn't, sometimes the DHCP server dishes out the same IP address to two computers, my Dell laptop refuses to connect to it (and it's not the laptop as it's fine on other wireless networks). Is that enough?

The trouble is, once bitten twice shy. Maybe other Linksys routers are fine pieces of kit but if they capable of shipping this one how do I know any other models will be any better?

Regards

- Roger

Robin Bowes
2006-09-04, 01:57
RogerB wrote:
> Mark Lanctot;133340 Wrote:
>> How did you get that impression?
>
> By owning one.
>
> OK maybe it would be better to say "the Linksys WAG54G V1.0 with
> firmware V2.0.17 (and every other version of firmware, rest assured
> I've tried them all)" is rubbish.
>
> It has now got to the stage where I have to reboot it every 2 or 3
> hours as it has dropped the ADSL connction; sometimes the lights on the
> front say it is connected but the server status page says it isn't,
> sometimes the DHCP server dishes out the same IP address to two
> computers, my Dell laptop refuses to connect to it (and it's not the
> laptop as it's fine on other wireless networks). Is that enough?
>
> The trouble is, once bitten twice shy. Maybe other Linksys routers are
> fine pieces of kit but if they capable of shipping this one how do I
> know any other models will be any better?

The WAG54G was a complete piece of crap.

I returned mine to Linksys and they replaced it with a WRT54GL (I think
- it's not at my house so I can't check) and that's been rock solid.

I've also got an early WRT54GS running Sveasoft firmware, and that's a
fine piece of kit.

I understand your concern, but in my experience Linksys are generally OK
- apart from the WAG54G which is/was a POS.

R.

Siduhe
2006-09-04, 02:02
Have you seen the Router Status page here (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?RouterStatus) ?

Bear in mind that this page was put together about 10 versions of firmware ago, and a lot of the problems have been ironed out since, but it may give you an idea of which routers have worked consistently with Slimserver.

Can only speak from personal experience, but my Belkin pre-n has been rock solid from day one and has required very little in the way of reboots or tweaks.

Milhouse
2006-09-04, 02:51
(there seems to be general agreement that they are the best and...

Where on earth did you get that impression? I suspect that's wishful thinking on your part! From my experience Draytek are premium priced hardware running extremely poor quality firmware.

My advice: Get a cheap Linksys WRT54GL (the Linux version, ~50) and install opensource firmware on it (eg. DD-WRT) that allows it to act as a wireless client for all connected wired devices. Get a cheap ADSL modem for your broadband connectivity - no more than 35 (I use a Westell ProLine 6100). Why spend double the price on a Draytek and suffer the ensuing problems when the Linksys WRT54GL *will* outperform the Draytek?

I would concur that the WAG-type devices are poor/limited, they were always brain-damaged pieces of kit designed to be purchased by the unwary (after all, they cost more than a 4-port 54GS and cheapo modem which could do a better job!) Judging all Linksys products based on the experience gained from a WAG seems quite harsh.

consciouspnm
2006-09-04, 02:56
Or you could get a non wireless Draytek and add any wireless access point you wish to it.

I still think Draytek make the best and most stable routers but their wireless capabilities are not the best.

Mark Hughes
2006-09-04, 04:20
>
> Please could some one confirm that these problems have been solved and,
> possibly with a firmware upgrade, the 2800VG will work reliably with my
> SB3, rev 48 firmware.
>

You'll need this firmware

http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/download/v2800_wlan_squeeze_e38.zip

After upgrading, mine works fine on a network with 1xSB3 and 2xSB1

dean
2006-09-04, 08:02
On Sep 4, 2006, at 2:02 AM, Siduhe wrote:
> Can only speak from personal experience, but my Belkin pre-n has been
> rock solid from day one and has required very little in the way of
> reboots or tweaks.
I second this about the Belkin Pre-N. Amazing range, very stable,
works great with everything I've thrown at it...