PDA

View Full Version : Album art via CDDB on the fly?

kyleki
2006-09-03, 03:04
I just started using the Fishbone interface (VERY nice, by the way), and have realized I haven't been saving any album art with any of my music. I then expected (perhaps inappropriately) slimserver to do some type of CDDB lookup online based on my album tag and download the album art for me.

Is this something that's possible in the settings and I'm just missing it? If not, is there some type of plugin already available that might provide me with this functionality?

dSw
2006-09-03, 04:08
Slimserver doesn't download album art - you need to use another tool to do it. Something like Album Art Aggregator would be suitable. Search for "album art" on these forums for lots of threads on the subject.

jalessi
2006-09-03, 06:24
It is not a part of CDDB THBOMK. Many people download it from Amazon, but that is cumbersome and requires a human to operate it.

Victor
2006-09-03, 07:58
<plug type=shameless>
I wrote some code to do exactly this. Check out: http://victorland.com/slimp3

Enjoy :)
</plug>

tommypeters
2006-09-03, 08:54
Not shameless when it's free... :)

I will see if I can test it for you since almost all music I have is in FLAC. What does it do if there's already a cover.jpg/folder.jpg there in the folder?

I wonder if there's a command line callable utility that can downsize the downloaded image if it's larger than 300*300 (or whatever you want as the largest image size)? It could then be called from this routine.

Victor
2006-09-03, 09:48
Not shameless when it's free... :)

I will see if I can test it for you since almost all music I have is in FLAC. What does it do if there's already a cover.jpg/folder.jpg there in the folder?

I wonder if there's a command line callable utility that can downsize the downloaded image if it's larger than 300*300 (or whatever you want as the largest image size)? It could then be called from this routine.

If there's a cover.jpg (or whatever you tell it to call your image) already there, the code skips that directory.

As to the second question, my code is a command line utility already. Amazon generally provides us with 3 image sizes for each album cover (and sometimes only one) and the code tries to get the largest one possible. Regardless, wouldn't it be easier to set your HTML skin to display the album art at the size you want rather than messing with data you have no control over (i.e. original image size)?

tommypeters
2006-09-03, 10:28
I will run Slimserver on a NAS and want to "save" as much as possible on unnecessary transfers on bytes to the web browser, file format conversions (so I will only store FLAC and some mp3) and similar. So I don't want to save a picture in 500*500 and scale it down to 300*300. Sofar I have added a lot of albums to the NAS and have used Tag&Rename and Album Cover Art Downloader, but it would be good to have it more automatic.

What I meant by "command line utility" was that if there were one available that could take a file name and max resolution it could be called from your program, as a part of the routine.

dSw
2006-09-03, 11:55
I'm actually writing my own cover art downloader as a bit of an experiment with the Amazon and Yahoo web services and one thing I have found is that it's very difficult thing to do automatically.

This is especially true when you're relying on the naming of the directory or the contents of the TAGs to determine the album and artist name. Spelling can often differ to that used on Amazon for example and things like punctuation, european characters etc. can throw it way off.

The other thing to consider is that the quality of the images returned can be pretty poor. I often find that Amazon can return 15+ images for a search and the best match can only be chosen manually.

What I've ended up doing is displaying all the alternatives within my app and supplementing this with a good old Google Image search and sometimes a discogs.com search if the images thrown up by Amazon/Yahoo aren't any good.

kyleki
2006-09-11, 23:44
I wrote some code to do exactly this. Check out: http://victorland.com/slimp3

Victor, thank you very much for the efforts on this tool. I finally got some time to try this out and I can't get it working for me. I'm running 6.5b2 (downloaded Sept. 11th).

It appears that it's not finding any tags in my MP3 files:

./make_cover.pl -p /usr/local/slimserver/ -m /data/music/mp3/Information_Society/hack/ -d

Now looking in: /data/music/mp3/Information_Society/hack
This album is not a Various artists album
Use of uninitialized value in warn at ./make_cover.pl line 120.
Using this track to test:

No artist or album in /data/music/mp3/Information_Society/hackWhen there really is id3 data in there:
id3v2 -l /data/music/mp3/Information_Society/hack/information_society-01-seek_200.mp3
id3v1 tag info for /data/music/mp3/Information_Society/hack/information_society-01-seek_200.mp3:
Title : Seek 200 Artist: Information Society
Album : Hack Year: 0 , Genre: Other (12)
Comment: Created by Grip Track: 1
id3v2 tag info for /data/music/mp3/Information_Society/hack/information_society-01-seek_200.mp3:
TIT2 (Title/songname/content description): Seek 200
TPE1 (Lead performer(s)/Soloist(s)): Information Society
TALB (Album/Movie/Show title): Hack
TYER (Year): 0
TRCK (Track number/Position in set): 1
COMM (Comments): (ID3v1 Comment)[XXX]: Created by Grip
TCON (Content type): Other (12)
Might I be doing something wrong?

kyleki
2006-09-11, 23:51
What do applications like MusicMatch use to accomplish this? They are somehow able to show me album cover art without me needing to download or scan anything. It simply appears to utilize the Album tag from the file while it's playing and displays the image over the internet.

I'm a little confused why Slimserver wouldn't have something like this built-in since it's already so internet aware.

mherger
2006-09-12, 01:07
> What do applications like MusicMatch use to accomplish this?

Money. You can buy such services from eg. allmusic.com

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

Victor
2006-09-12, 12:05
kyleki,

I am not sure what's going on there. Email me off-list (slimp3 AT victorland.com) and we'll figure it out. No need to hijack this thread for a discussion forum for support for my software :)

Patrick Dixon
2006-09-12, 14:21
Shameless thank you.

I've used Victor's Album Art program quite a bit, and I have to say it's very good.

nolan
2006-09-13, 02:36
I find Tag & Rename a good product for this as it uses Amazon to populate all parts of the ID3 tag including artwork if required

I find it well worth whatever I paid to register it as it can do pretty much anything you can think of.

http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm

aubuti
2006-09-13, 07:21
I've used Victor's Album Art program quite a bit, and I have to say it's very good.
What format are your music files? Victor's page states that it hasn't been tested much with FLAC, which is most of what my library is. Thanks.

Victor
2006-09-13, 07:48
What format are your music files? Victor's page states that it hasn't been tested much with FLAC, which is most of what my library is. Thanks.

Actually I've had quite a few people successfully use the code with FLACs now. But since I don't use them personally, I always welcome more testing.

aubuti
2006-09-13, 07:55
Great, I'll give it a try. Wish I'd known about it several months ago........

kyleki
2006-09-18, 09:19
Would this allow me to do what I'm looking for?:
http://printf.dk/itunes_7_fetching_artwork_for.html

SuperQ
2006-09-18, 21:30
./make_cover.pl -p /usr/local/slimserver/ -m /data/music/mp3/Information_Society/hack/ -d

Great test album :)