PDA

View Full Version : How do I abort a library scan?

robsalk
2006-09-02, 14:13
Hey there -
I'm running SlimServer 6.3.1 on Windows XP SP2, linked to a rather large (50K+) iTunes music library that also includes about 35 smart playlists. Often when I start up, I am able to play music for about 15 minutes, at which point Slimserver starts rescanning my library. This not only kills the music and locks up my ability to navigate the Squeezbox with the remote, but it also pegs the processor on the host server at 95-99% for between 5 minutes and half an hour. Often, I will kill the Slim.exe process in Task Manager because this drives me nuts.

My question is, does anyone know of a way to abort the library rescan when this starts to happen so I can listen to my tunes uninterrupted? I have tried to change the scheduling of my rescans to late at night and put in a long interval between iTunes rescans to discourage SlimServer from doing this so frequently, but it hasn't helped.

If there's currently no feature to abort the library rescan (or something that asks first - e.g., "Your Slimserver database may not be up to date with your library and playlists. Recan now (y/n)") - please consider this an official request.

Thanks!

funkstar
2006-09-03, 04:12
if you kill a scan part way through, then SlimServer doesn't have a complete database and the next time you start it, it will try and build a complete database. Once it has completed a scan, it shouldn't re-scan on every startup, only when you tell it to.

Also, if you don't let it complete the scan, then you won't have access o all your music.

saurus
2006-09-03, 06:03
Hi robsalk,

If there's currently no feature to abort the library rescan (or something that asks first - e.g., "Your Slimserver database may not be up to date with your library and playlists. Recan now (y/n)") - please consider this an official request.
please consider the following ways to contact slim devices with your request officially:
E-mail Tech Support:support@slimdevices.com
Phone Support: Phone support is available from our support team during our regular business hours of 9AM to 7PM Pacific time, Monday through Friday, at +1 (650) 210-9400.
Ciao, Torsten