PDA

View Full Version : Degraded Wireless Network Performance

Rigel
2006-09-01, 08:58
I have just received my SB3. It is all set up - I have a Dlink DI-264 wireless access point, and 2 computers. I have 1.5M DSL.

Without SB3 plugged in and slimserver shut down - my wireless network performance is great - both computers on, moving files between them, both on the internet.

When I use SB3 - it works fine - no dropouts, no problems. However, my computers are very degraded when attempting to surf the Internet.

Shut SB3 off, disconnect it, unplug it - the wireless performance is immediately back to normal.

Is this normal, is there anything I can do to improve the performance? I've checked resource usuage via TaskManager - CPU is typically 0-2%, plenty of memory and LAN, Wireless utilizatino is about 0.28% with SB3 playing.

Ben Sandee
2006-09-01, 09:28
On 9/1/06, Rigel <Rigel.2dgqtz1157126401 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> I have just received my SB3. It is all set up - I have a Dlink DI-264
> wireless access point, and 2 computers. I have 1.5M DSL.

Do you mean DI-624? Just trying to figure out what HW you have.

Ben

Siduhe
2006-09-01, 09:39
Do you mean a Dl-624 rather than a 264 ? And if so, do you know which revision ?

If so, does the router have any setting which prioritises streaming traffic (bittorrent / VoIP / music) over normal internet usage ? I used to have similar problems when I first installed my Belkin router, until I realised this setting was enabled by default.

Is there any difference with Super G Turbo mode switched on / off ?

One other thing to check is that you have the latest firmware installed for your WAP. There was a new release of firmware last month for all 624 revisions, I believe for "improved performance".

Rigel
2006-09-01, 10:07
Yes, it is the DI-624 rev c - sorry about the typo. I have v2.75 firmware installed - I have not yet tried v3.00 which, as you noted, just came out. I have it on Super G Turbo - I'll try it off and check.

I'll look for a priority setting and then try v3.00 - appreciate the suggestions. Given me today to try these and I'll report back any progress. Thanks!

Rigel
2006-09-01, 13:41
Update: I have disabled Turbo G - no improvement. I have the most current DI-624 rev c firmware v2.75. I have not identified any options for changing streaming priorities.

I assume from reading this forum, that my problem is not common? Really like my new SB3 - but I would really like to be listening to music and be on the internet at full speed at the same time?

Any other ideas of what I should try? Appreciate any help!

Ben Sandee
2006-09-01, 13:54
On 9/1/06, Rigel <Rigel.2dh40z1157143501 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> Update: I have disabled Turbo G - no improvement. I have the most
> current DI-624 rev c firmware v2.75. I have not identified any options
> for changing streaming priorities.
>
> I assume from reading this forum, that my problem is not common?
> Really like my new SB3 - but I would really like to be listening to
> music and be on the internet at full speed at the same time?

Could it be that your AP simply slows down when a certain number of clients
is hit and the SB3 is the one that pushes it over the edge? What if you
turn off one of your other devices? Does the slowdown still occur?

On a whim I googled "DI-624 slow down" and there's a lot of information --
mostly related to BitTorrent. Probably every router out there has some
negative info about it though so that's not saying much. I've ditched my
share of routers -- finally settling on a linux box which is more reliable
for me.

Ben

Rigel
2006-09-01, 14:21
Ben - I have 2 computers and my new SB3 connected to my DI-624. If I use only one computer (other one powered down - everything rebooted) - same degradation occurs. If just feels like the SB3 is consuming all available network resources?

Ben Sandee
2006-09-01, 16:34
On 9/1/06, Rigel <Rigel.2dh5vn1157145901 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> Ben - I have 2 computers and my new SB3 connected to my DI-624. If I
> use only one computer (other one powered down - everything rebooted) -
> same degradation occurs. If just feels like the SB3 is consuming all
> available network resources?

There is constant communication between SlimServer and the SB3 but it is
very low bandwidth. Someone has measured it I'm sure. I seriously doubt
that it's really putting a strain on things but it does sound like your
router is not handling things very well. I'm sorry I don't have any other
advice to offer you.... :(

bgriffis
2006-09-01, 18:50
It sounds like a problem with your router. I thought a firmware upgrade would fix your problem, but it looks like you're already on the latest firmware.

Does your laptop have a 802.11g card in it? If so, double-check that the D-Link router is configured for "g only" and not "mixed mode". That will make better use of the available bandwidth. One other possibility might be to turn off security if you're using it. You could probably get by with MAC address filtering to keep people from free-loading on your internet connection.

Of course if all this fails I recommend you get a new router. Personally I despise the D-Link routers. I'd recommend a Linksys WRT54GL if you want something high quality at a decent price. You can pick one up for $40-$60.

Good luck! I hope you get your issue solved!

Rigel
2006-09-02, 06:16
bgriffis - my laptop does have a 802.11g card and the D-Link is configured for "G only". Also, my desktop suffers the same degradation even when the laptop is off. I also tried security off during setup and it didn't help.

So, you may be right - I've spend $300 on the SB3, so I may need to throw in the towel and change the router...

appreciate everyone's advise and help