PDA

View Full Version : More Radio Fun Alien BBC

Tristan
2006-09-01, 08:09
Hi all,

Sorry if this is just me being stupid.

I have a laptop and also a PC as a dedicated music server both of which have slimserver installed with the correct version of Alien BBC as a plugin

All has been fine listening to radio, music etc from either the server or the laptop. Both PC's are runing XP.

Last night I got home and powered the lap top and went to listen to Radio 1 from Alien BBC and it woudn't work. The squeesbox said something like incorrect URL or stream and displayed the address for the stream but woudn't play.

Hmm. I turned the laptop off and powered the other PC. I restarted the Squeesbox and connected to it and lo and behold Radio 1 (and the others) played.

Nothing had been done to the laptop other than booting it up. It worked fine the day before and had been turned off normally..

I unistalled Slimserver on the laptop and loaded a fresh install. I re-installed Alien BBC and restarted it and tried again. It still wont play radio.. Thats any radio by the way not just Alien BBC channels. It does play if you test it on the laptop speakers. Eg is IS streaming the right address but the squeesbox isn't having it!

This has happened once before for seemingly no reason and last time the reinstall sorted it.

Any ideas?

Ta

NY2006
2006-09-01, 09:29
"I unistalled Slimserver on the laptop and loaded a fresh install. I re-installed Alien BBC and restarted it and tried again. It still wont play radio.. Thats any radio by the way not just Alien BBC channels. It does play if you test it on the laptop speakers. Eg is IS streaming the right address but the squeesbox isn't having it!

This has happened once before for seemingly no reason and last time the reinstall sorted it.

Any ideas?"

I also tried to get Slimserver 6.3 or 6.5b to work with my labtop..no responce to the server...I thought it might just be me but now that you mentioned having a similar problem there migth be some conflict.

Mark Miksis
2006-09-01, 09:40
Maybe I just don't understand your setup, but why do you have slimserver installed on both the laptop and the server? When you power up the laptop, how do you tell your squeezebox which slimserver to connect to? Are you saying that the laptop plays other music OK and it's just alien that fails?

Siduhe
2006-09-01, 09:43
Could you describe your set up in a bit more detail - I'm a little confused as to why you need to have Slimserver installed on both laptop and PC ? If you are trying to use both interchangably and both are using Port 9000, I can see why one might not work - they could conflict with each other.

You normally only need one instance of slimserver installed (say on the PC) and then you just access that instance via a webpage on the laptop.

If you have more than one SB connected to a seperate instance of slimserver, then I can't think why that wouldn't work.

Tristan
2006-09-01, 10:11
Hi There,

OK.

I have two instances of slimserver. I don't run both at the same time. The first one is on the PC. I was intending to use just the PC for streaming originally. The reason for having the two setups now ive been having some network problems with drivers on the PC and so I am getting intermittant network dropouts whilst using it. My laptop suffers no such problems.

Music files off either PC / Laptop are playing fine.

Just to be really complicated I also have two squeesboxes that are synched. The problem is the same across both.

To switch the squeesboxes to use either the PC or the laptop I tell it to use the different source stream under network settings / setup. I dont think thats an area of problem.

Does that help?

-T

bpa
2006-09-01, 10:31
When you did the uninstall - did you delete the pref file ?

Tristan
2006-09-01, 17:58
<Rant>

errm no?

I suppose im a consumer rather than a technical type ... ish ;)

Should I have?

I will do now..where is it?... but what Id really like to know is why it happens anyway. I bought these Audio products because I love music. Not because I love computors.

<Rant/>

T (just got in and a bit, well, errm late ;)

bpa
2006-09-02, 03:57
The default slimserver preferences file (i.e. location of music folder, language etc.) is C:\Program Files\SlimServer\slimserver.pref

If you upgrade or re-install without deleting this file, then settings will be carried over. AFAIK this is default action as it save users re-entering their preferences.

However, if your problem is caused by some slimserver setting which is now saved in the preferences. After you re-install slimserver, the new version of slimserver will pick up your old preferences including the setting causing the problem.

To test this theory you could stop slimserver, rename the preference files to some other name and then restart slimserver. If the radio problem persist then you know it wasn't caused by a setting in the preferences file and you can rename the your old preferences back.

An example of this settings problem, is where a user who had no MP3 files decided to disable all MP3 settings in FileTypes. The music files played OK but many radio stations and podcasts stopped working.

You are clearly not technical as <Rant/> should be </Rant> ;-)