PDA

View Full Version : Same album with several entries in the database

Secret_boy
2006-08-30, 11:55
Hi community!

In the last time I often observe that the same album has several entries with the _same_ name in the database. This happens even if the album is rather old or if I ripped the album from one single CD. Every entry contains 1-3 songs. Hence I must browse through all entries of one album to get all its songs. I found that a little bit "exhausting".

Does anyone observe the same behaviour or has a solution for my problem? I use the current release version 6.3.1 of the slimserver and I want to remark that a complete rescan did not solve my problem. Could this be a bug?

I also attached a little screenshot of the slimserver with one bad album.

Best regards and thanks in advance,
René

Siduhe
2006-08-30, 12:10
Couple of possible reasons this might happen:

The file names of the tracks have unicode (i.e. accented) characters ? In my experience, Slimserver copes fine with unicode characters in the tags, but not in the file name itself. Renaming the file and a full rescan should fix the problem;

The file is a compilation (by more than one artist), but you do not have the express COMPILATION tag set to =1 ? This would be my bet. How are you tagging the files ?

Secret_boy
2006-08-30, 12:42
The file is a compilation (by more than one artist), but you do not have the express COMPILATION tag set to =1 ? This would be my bet. How are you tagging the files ?

This effect not only happen with compilations. I also observe this problem with one single artist (e.g. Depeche Mode).
However: I'm a little bit emberrassed because I never heard of a compilation tag. How can I set this flag? Can WinAmp do this?
Usually I rip and encode my MP3s with Audioexactcopy and the LAME encoder. This combination should automatically generate the songs including correct ID-tags (until now I thought that they should :-).

It seems to me that the first scan of the slimserver almost always result in several entries of one album.
Often this problem disappears with the rescan but later I still found some albums that are distributed over several entries.

And you're right with your guess. I just examined further broken albums. One of them contains lots of german characters (Umlaute: ö,ä,ü) that causes slimserver to share the album and displays a "?" instead of the original character.

Siduhe
2006-08-30, 14:38
Not sure about Winamp, but lots of tagging programs will add the tag - MusicBrainz Picard/Tagger will do it automatically, so will Tag&Rename, Mp3tag and Foobar to name but a few.

Also, are you using MusicIP (formerly MusicMagic) or Itunes at all ?

Secret_boy
2006-09-07, 05:50
In the meantime I've solved the problem by a workaround. New ID3V2-Tags with mp3tag.de and a rescan make sure, that the compilation has only one entry the database.

However. All things considered I'm not quite happy with this solution because I still don't know what was wrong with the ID3V1-Tags that I examined more than one time. I assume that the problem will depend on german accented characters. If I face this case the next time I'll think about a post in the bugtracking system.

mistryn
2006-09-09, 03:48
Hi - as I have the same problem, is it possible for ID3V2-Tags software to automatically scan all my music files and fix up the compilations and add the required tag?

Thanks, Nil.

Mark Lanctot
2006-09-09, 08:27
Almost. Add a column in Mp3tag that sorts "%_tag_%" then load all your music. Click on your new column and the ID3v1 tags will be sorted to the top.

In options, set it so that ID3v1 tags will be removed and ID3v2 tags will be written. Now highlight the first ID3v1 file, shift + click the last ID3v1 file. Press save and ID3v2 tags will be added to all of them. You should now see both ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags in the tag column. Press the delete button and all the ID3v1 tags will be removed - provided you set it to remove ID3v1 tags and keep ID3v2 tags.

Michaelwagner
2006-09-10, 07:31
If you have a different tagger, the idea is still the same. The ID3V1 tags need to be removed.

There was no way to support unicode in ID3V1, so accented letters got somehow bruised (don't remember the details, sorry), then you have 2 versions of the same song that differ only by the accent ... yikes!

hermetic
2006-09-10, 11:39
Thought I'd post this as I can't remember seeing this solution described earlier.

I've also had the problem with duplicate albums in the database. It has happened for some, but not all, multiple disc albums. All my albums is ripped by EAC, converted to FLAC with Frontend and tagged with Tag&Rename. At the moment I'm running the 6.5 beta of September 9th.

I have the following structure in my music folder:

drive\flac\artist name\album or disc name

For multiple disc albums the structure will be like:

Z:\flac\Leonard Cohen\Essential Disc 1\
Z:\flac\Leonard Cohen\Essential Disc 2\

Although all tracks is tagged to belong to the album "Essential", with track numbers running from the first track of disc 1 to last track on disc 2, the above example will result in two albums named "Essential". My way around the problem is to store all files in only one folder, e.g. "Essential". After a clear and rescan the duplicate entries are long gone.

stinkingpig
2006-09-10, 14:19
On 9/10/06, hermetic <hermetic.2dxm8n1157913601 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> Thought I'd post this as I can't remember seeing this solution described
> earlier.
>
> I've also had the problem with duplicate albums in the database. It has
> happened for some, but not all, multiple disc albums. All my albums is
> ripped by EAC, converted to FLAC with Frontend and tagged with
> Tag&Rename. At the moment I'm running the 6.5 beta of September 9th.
>
> I have the following structure in my music folder:
>
> drive\flac\artist name\album or disc name
>
> For multiple disc albums the structure will be like:
>
> Z:\flac\Leonard Cohen\Essential Disc 1\
> Z:\flac\Leonard Cohen\Essential Disc 2\
>
> Although all tracks is tagged to belong to the album "Essential", with
> track numbers running from the first track of disc 1 to last track on
> disc 2, the above example will result in two albums named "Essential".
> My way around the problem is to store all files in only one folder,
> e.g. "Essential". After a clear and rescan the duplicate entries are
> long gone.
>
>
Yeah, I'm giving "multi-CD" albums the 8-track treatment too... it's all one
album. The only problem is when I forget to retag something new, because if
I change the tags after it's scanned, SS will still hold onto the second
album entry.

In other words, Album Disc 1 gets renamed to Album, and its songs are moved
to that record. Album Disc 2 gets renamed to a second entry of Album, and
its songs are not moved -- but if I browse music folder down to the
individual tracks, they do move. however, the second Album entry stays
forever. Only a clean rescan solves the problem.
--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional

Michaelwagner
2006-09-10, 20:14
I found out, another tricky way to get double albums is to have the playlist directory and the music directory be the same, then copy (for testing) the music directory to a new place.

If you leave the playlist directory pointing to the old music directory, it happily re-indexes the playlist directory as a music directory. But then you get doubles of absolutely everything.

I found this out while testing out a new linkstation.

Dan Sully
2006-09-11, 00:16
Michael - do you have Windows Shortcuts in the root of your music /playlist folders?

If so, I just fixed this bug. It's in the official beta 2.

Michaelwagner
2006-09-11, 08:01
Dan: Dunno. I don't think so. Certainly I didn't put one there on purpose. But maybe I did in some experiment and forgot it was there. I'll check later.

nicketynick
2006-10-01, 14:27
OK, I seem to have done exactly what Michael describes - I moved my music directory over to another drive and re-scanned (without moving the playlist directory), and now it 'seems' that all albums that were also in a playlist are duplicated. I tried moving the playlist directory to the same as the music and re-scanning but still duplicates. I'm running 6.2.2 on XP. I searched the bug database but couldn't find this behaviour. Will this problem go away with an upgrade?

Michaelwagner
2006-10-01, 16:57
What I did was, for testing purposes, copied my music directory to a new location, but left the playlist directory pointing to the old (and still good) directory.

So in reality there were two copies of the music. So in some odd way, Slim was correct in indexing everything twice. But I didn't get that at first, because I had changed the music directory setting (and forgotten about the other one).

It turns out that the playlist directory acts, at least in some situations, just like another music directory.

If you moved your music directory (instead of copying like I did), then it's not the same.

nicketynick
2006-10-01, 17:25
Sorry, I wasn't quite clear. I set slimserver to look for my music on a second drive (which was a copy of the first, plus some more - I was ripping 'off-line' so-to-speak'). I'm pretty darn sure only tracks (albums) that were in playlists on the 'original' drive are now duplicating in the slimserver database. I tried setting the playlist directory to the same as the music directory (on the second drive), and wiping and rescanning, but same behaviour.
Not sure what do now.......
EDIT: Is this the same as bug#4027?? (in which case an upgrade fixes it)

nicketynick
2006-10-01, 20:06
I'm stumped! I upgraded to 6.5, did a full rescan, and I still have duplicate entries for all albums/songs that are also in a playlist! I thought for sure 6.5 would fix this. Any ideas??

delosus
2006-10-01, 20:59
Had a similar problem. Turns out that some files in a given album had the disc number tag, and others didn't. I removed all the disc number data (since I do not use it to organize my albums) using JRiver Media Center. This helped quite a bit. I still had a few albums left that showed (disc 2). Turns out some of my files had a "/2" left over in the Album field that J River did not show me or remove for me--I guess the album field was "1/2" and "2/2" initially. I removed the remaining "/2"'s in Tag and Rename and now no more duplicate albums.

joncourage
2006-10-01, 21:20
I'm not entirely clear on what's being said above by michaelwagner re: playlists (mostly, if there's a way in there to fix the problem), but the dupe albums problem I'm having, specifically, is definitely somehow related to playlists:

all of the albums with dupes are albums that contain songs in one of my playlists, and the only songs listed for that album (in the dupe copy of the album) are the songs contained in a playlist.

is there a way to make this stop?

Michaelwagner
2006-10-02, 05:36
Well, and for my part, I may not have expressed it clearly because I'm not entirely sure what exactly happened.

nicketynick
2006-10-02, 06:38
joncourage and I appear to be having the exact same behaviour. I concur with Michael's observation in that I only started having the problem when I pointed slimserver to a music directory on a second drive.
joncourage, slimpy has suggested checking the paths to each of the dupes in the song info page (in the other thread) - I won't be able to do so for 12 hours - have you had an opportunity?

joncourage
2006-10-02, 08:13
(take a look at my reply on the other thread)

slimpy
2006-10-02, 09:05
Playlists are basically just text files pointing to the actual files using file name and path.
Slimserver first scans your music library and populates its database then it goes on to scan the playlists. The path to the referenced file in the playlist is read and compared to the database entries. If slimserver finds a matching path and filename in the database the already existing entry will be used. If there's no match slimserver tries to read the tags from the file referenced in the playlist and adds the information to the database, assuming it is a different file.
This way playlists can be used to add tracks to your library that are outside of your music library tree.
You can end up with duplicate entries for one of the following reasons:
-You have a copy of your music library, music library in slimserver is set to the original but playlists reference the copy (or vice versa)
-You have symlinks somewhere pointing to your music library, music library is set to the absolute path (without symlink) and your playlists use any symlinked path (or vice versa)
e.g.
music library setting: /music
playlist: /home/slimpy/music/track.flac (/home/slimpy/music is symlinked to /music)

If you need to move your music library you need to make sure the paths in your playlists are still valid.
If you move your library your playlists will go missing because the files they reference are no longer there.
If you copy you will end up with duplicate entries for the reason discussed above.
To update your playlists you can use any text editor that can replace text in multiple files at once (search the internet).
Make a backup of all playlists somewhere just in case the files get screwed up.
Open all playlists in the editor and replace the changed part of the file path and save.

-s.