PDA

View Full Version : Let's here some suggestions for SlimServer 7

Pages : [1] 2

JJZolx
2006-08-30, 10:05
Since 6.5 is pretty much in the bag, what do you want in SlimServer 7?

Me? I feel that the two biggest omissions in SlimServer currently are the lack of

- multiple music libraries

- individual user customization

funkstar
2006-08-30, 11:22
Multiple libraries would solve the Singles problem for me, so thats a good one.

Obviously there are the existing tickets, like the network clock for player syncing that is important.

That pretty much does it for me, can't think of anything else that is dependant on SS to make it perfect for me :)

I would like a plugin for MediaPortal to use SlimServers library instead of the current MyMusic in MP, but thats not SDs problem. I might need to have a bash at .NET in the not too distant future....

autopilot
2006-08-30, 11:37
Support for some kind(s) of DRM, so that we can legally download music.

kdf
2006-08-30, 11:59
On 30-Aug-06, at 11:37 AM, dangerous_dom wrote:

>
> Support for some kind(s) of DRM, so that we can -legally- download
> music.
>
rhapsody is DRM.
drm issues are more to do with the providers than the clients.
-k

dSw
2006-08-30, 13:52

DRM has nothing to do with the legality of music downloads.. but that's another issue entirely! ;-)

Millwood
2006-08-30, 14:31
Better integration of he Alien BBC use of mplayer so that albums ripped in rm format could be played conveniently.

Pause/restart using mplayer that worked as best it could even after a delay, say be remmebering the position and trying to reposition. This is currently an issue with the BBC archived stuff and would be for rm on disk if the above got done.

Some mechanism for automatically detecting update for plugins in use - like the extensions management in Firefox.

Philip Meyer
2006-08-30, 14:32
>rhapsody is DRM.
It's also USA-only!

Phil

kdf
2006-08-30, 14:36
On 30-Aug-06, at 2:32 PM, Phil Meyer wrote:

>> rhapsody is DRM.
> It's also USA-only!
>
yup, well aware of that one.
digital rights doesn't mean everywhere.
it means you have to do what the provider says, if they even let you
have a chance.
-k

Grumpy_Git
2006-08-30, 14:40
For DRM Music i suggest everyone checks out the proposed spiralfrog website.

http:\\www.spiralfrog.com

Nick.

PS: No affiliation (I wish!)

Philip Meyer
2006-08-30, 15:20
>- multiple music libraries
>
>- individual user customization

Multiple music libraries is the biggie for me too, alongside User Personas.

A music library would contain a list of configurable music folders to scan (ie. rather than using shortcuts), with settings to define when/what type of scan to perform on each configured folder.

Music libraries could be used to represent specific users music, or for other needs. Eg. "Phil's Music", "Alex's Music", "Live Concerts", "Squeeze Network" could be different music libraries.

I'd like to be able to set up several user accounts, with an easy mechanism to switch between them. Each account would have different settings, eg. slimscrobbler/LastFM user, Live365 user, screensaver, etc. Each account could select a music library to use.

Phil

autopilot
2006-08-30, 15:49
On 30-Aug-06, at 11:37 AM, dangerous_dom wrote:

>
> Support for some kind(s) of DRM, so that we can -legally- download
> music.
>
rhapsody is DRM.
drm issues are more to do with the providers than the clients.
-k

Indeed, and i would be great if i could get it here in the UK. I meen stuff like Download sites which use Playforsure etc.

DRM has nothing to do with the legality of music downloads.. but that's another issue entirely! ;-)

Quite, but if i want to download the latest Coldplay album, or whatever, i can't download a DRM-Free version and thus i cant play it on my squeezebox. I guess i will be forced (by the record industry) to stick with AllofMP3.com for my downloads now.

Though TBH, im not really that bothered. Until download sites offer proper bitrates and prices significantly lower than CD's, DRM is the least important thing. i was just making a suggestion - its hard to think of any new features, Slimserver is fantastic.

kdf
2006-08-30, 16:11
all good points on the DRM issue. Let's consider that DRM and
expansion of radio support, file types, etc
are all a work in progress.

In the interest of supporting the original post, it might be best to
leave drm discussion for now.

-kdf

JJZolx
2006-08-30, 16:39
A music library would contain a list of configurable music folders to scan (ie. rather than using shortcuts), with settings to define when/what type of scan to perform on each configured folder.
I'd like to see this as well, even though it's really more of nicety than anything else.

JohnnyLightOn
2006-08-30, 17:52
Automatically-generated playlists, such as is done in Windows Media Player. This has already been entered as a feature request (bug 380), but has been put off (target milestone=future).

The playlists would be constantly updated, and would contain such lists as:

- Songs/albums/artists you play late at night.
- Songs/albums/artists you play on weekend nights.
- Songs/albums/artists you play on Sunday mornings.
- Songs/albums/artists you play during dinnertime.
- Last 25 songs/albums/artists you played.
- Overall most played songs/albums/artists.

And anything else you can think of that would be worth generating automatically.

radish
2006-08-30, 17:53
I'd agree with a lot of what's already mentioned - for example multiple music libraries would be FANTASTIC for me - right now I have to run 2 instances of SS and switch between them which is a bit of a hassle and not very high on the WAF. I'd also suggest customizable browse trees - so not just Artist/Album/Song but make it configurable. I'd like, for example, to have mixed albums apart from artist albums. That data is in the tags, and a player I used to use (Meedio) had an interface for setting up your own browse patterns based on SQL queries. Not for the beginner sure, but very powerful.

Pale Blue Ego
2006-08-30, 18:01

There's nothing stopping you from using DRM music on the Squeezebox. Burn your DRM downloads to an audio CD (you should do this anyway as a backup), then rip them to a lossless format like FLAC.

Bingo - you have full use of the - legal - download forever.

radish
2006-08-30, 18:19
There's nothing stopping you from using DRM music on the Squeezebox. Burn your DRM downloads to an audio CD (you should do this anyway as a backup), then rip them to a lossless format like FLAC.

Sure, but that takes a lot of time and disk space (you end up with FLAC files with the quality of AAC or whatever). It's also not always possible - not all DRM is made equal and not all allows burning.

gingerneil
2006-08-30, 20:23

No you dont. Generally, changing the format of the recording (ie from mp3 to flac) is illegal. Once you have the file, its not your's to do wht you want with.. you just have the right to use it / play it according to the agreement you have entered in to....
Anyway, we digress !

bossanova808
2006-08-30, 23:59
Anpther vote for smart playlists - can't believe this isn't here yet, it's such an obviously cool feature that people love on other platforms...

Also, ability on the Squeezebox to nominate, with order of preference, which slimserver install to connect to depending on which are available - allowing for a NAS + computer when it's on auto switching tasty experience!

autopilot
2006-08-31, 00:39

You could, but it's hardly an elegant solution - more a workaround. FLAC will preserve the quality of the CD rips, but trancoding to CD Audio format can reduce quality i believe. Even if it does not, it's still a royal pain in the ass. I never backup my downloads to CD, it's cheaper, safer and more time efficent to have a second HDD. Space is an issue for some people to and FLAC takes way more space - ok if you want CD qualty, but you wont increase quality, more likely lose some.

In the interest of supporting the original post, it might be best to
leave drm discussion for now.

-kdf

Agreed.

Ok, how about improved singles handling? As Funkstar says, mulitple libraries could help, but i have a better idea;

If there is a 'Single' tag (or an extended tag to indicate to Slimserver that it's a single), There could be a catagory in slimserver for Singles (alongside Album, Artist, Genre, etc). A single search could be added to the SB's menu also.

I know this is an issue for some people, and i know there are workarounds (like using "Single" as the album tag), but it would be a nice feature and help avoid cluttering the Album list or an entry called 'no album' if people dont use an album tag - this would make having differant artwork for each single easier too.

I dont for one minute take credit for this idea BTW, this has been metioned in many thread, the lastest being - http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=23906

Bennett, Gavin (LDN Int)
2006-08-31, 01:22
My favoured enhancement for 7 would be automatic de-duplication of
playlists. As disk space is cheap I do not worry about the multiple
copies of tracks. When building a playlist by adding favourite albums
it would be great if SlimServer removed the dupes - this would be
particularly useful when adding "Various Artists" albums to the
playlist. A "Clean" function to process existing lists and remove dupes
or missing files would be nice too.

After that I would second the smart playlist functionms.

Gavin

MAN FINANCIAL LIMITED E-MAIL DISCLAIMER

"This electronic mail message was sent by Man Financial Limited ("MFL") of
Sugar Quay, Lower Thames Street, London, EC3R 6DU, a Company registered in
England no. 1600658. MFL is authorised and regulated by the Financial
Services Authority in the UK and is a member of the Man Group. MFL appear on
the UK Financial Services Authority register under no. 106052. MFL is a
member of the London Stock Exchange.

This electronic mail message is intended only for the personal and
confidential use of the designated recipient(s) named above. If you are not
that person, you are not authorised to view, disseminate, distribute or copy
this message or any part of it without our consent; and you are requested to
return this message to the sender immediately and delete all copies from
your system.

The value of investments and foreign exchange can go up as well as down and
involve the risk of loss. You may lose more than the amount originally
invested and, in respect of products traded on margin, you may have to pay
more later. Opinions, conclusions and other information expressed in this
message are not given or endorsed by MFL unless otherwise indicated by an
authorised representative.

Due to the electronic nature of e-mails, there is a risk that the
information contained in this message has been modified. Consequently MFL
can accept no responsibility or liability as to the completeness or accuracy
of the information.

Whilst efforts are made to safeguard messages and attachments, MFL cannot
guarantee that messages or attachments are virus free, do not contain
malicious code or are compatible with your electronic systems and does not
accept liability in respect of viruses, malicious code or any related
problems that you may experience.

MFL's e-mail system is for business purposes only. All e-mail may be
reviewed by authorised personnel, and may be provided to regulatory
authorities or others with a legal right to access such information.

If you would like to find out more information about Man Financial Limited
please click on the following hyperlink to our web site. "

Web site : http://www.manfinancial.com

Jungle
2006-08-31, 02:21

Me? I feel that the two biggest omissions in SlimServer currently are the lack of

Only a small issue but I would love to see some automatic log file trimming going on - several times, I have forgotten to trim outize log files and ended up with problems.

I'd also love to see some sort of 'Lazy search' assimilated into the main interface - browsing and searching in large libraries can be a real pain. This would be especially useful if multiple libraries are allowed in 7.

JasonW
2006-08-31, 02:47
What about the ability to download the album artwork for albums automatically from a web music database.

Also I like to listen to my music collection from work which is stored at home so I would like to see the music streaming improved.

Multiple databases would be a nice one as many people have mentioned.

Jason

agentsmith
2006-08-31, 03:32
Seperate Win32 client like Xlobby

agentsmith
2006-08-31, 03:33
Ability to add and delete music and not have to rescan whole library. (Like MusicIP)

Robin Bowes
2006-08-31, 03:41
autopilot wrote:
> kdf;132362 Wrote:
>> In the interest of supporting the original post, it might be best to
>> leave drm discussion for now.
>>
>> -kdf
>
> Agreed.
>
> Ok, how about improved singles handling?
>
> For example, if there is a 'Single' tag (or an extended tag to indicate
> to Slimserver that it's a single), There could be a catagory in
> slimserver for Singles (alongside Album, Artist, Genre, etc). A single
> search could be added to the SB's menu also.
>
> I know this is an issue for some people, and i know there are
> workarounds (like using "Single" as the album tag), but it would be a
> nice feature and help avoid cluttering the Album list (or an entry
> called 'no album' if people dont use an album tag).

ID3v2 has TMED, which is "Media Type".

Vorbis comments have "SOURCEMEDIA"

If files are tagged with these fields then Slimserver could use them to
sort/filter/structure like any other field.

R.

mherger
2006-08-31, 03:45
> Seperate Win32 client like Xlobby

What about SlimRemote, Moose or TelCanto? They do work, and they are 3rd
party as is Xlobby :-)

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

tomtom
2006-08-31, 04:10
IN addition to the other suggestions re 'intelligent playlisting', here's one that should/could be implemented easily: multiple delete of items from a playlist that is already open. At present, say you have a playlist with 20 tracks, and you want to delete half; you have to individually delete 10 items, each time waiting for the pane to refresh. Why not have a check box for each item in the play list, thereby allowing removal of multiple items.....

Tom

Craig, James (IT)
2006-08-31, 04:31
> multiple delete of items from a playlist that is already open.

That's had an open bug for some time... There are arguments on both
sides...
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=62

James
--------------------------------------------------------

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not intend to waive confidentiality or privilege. Use of this email is prohibited when received in error.

autopilot
2006-08-31, 04:48
Ability to add and delete music and not have to rescan whole library. (Like MusicIP)

ABSOLUTLY mate. I don't know why I did not mention this before, it's something that i have been thinking about since within the first 10 minutes of owning my SB3.

The current situation, where by you have to actually move/delete the files then do a complete rescan simply to remove an entry from the database, is ridiculous by anyone’s standards. However, while I am not directly involved in the development of slimserver, I know enough to realize that this would take a major redesign to how slimserver’s scanning process and database works. So I am not holding my breath until version 7.0 for any knid of dynamic database/library management. In fact, correct me if I am wrong, but I doubt we will see any kind of fully featured library management until they end this trunk and start from scratch again, right? BYW, is there a feature request open for this?

Going back to the singles issue again for a moment, this would be relatively simple to implement and would be a great feature and selling point for some people. As far as i am aware, no other device or software that i know of implicitly supports this (I’m certain the Sono's does not).

tomtom
2006-08-31, 04:53
[QUOTE=Craig, James (IT);132463]> multiple delete of items from a playlist that is already open.

sides...

James
=-=

Thanks James - and apologies for not checking before posting. But (with apologies to _Private Eye_) after reading that thread, the arguments _against_ implementation are
1. It _might_ clutter up the UI.
2. um..... that's it.

The arguments in favour are:
1. The web UI is almost impossible to use when having to delete multiple items from a play list one at a time
1b. It would prevent the annoyance, alternatively, of having to clear the playlist, and then having to reconstruct the playlist one would have liked to have had
2. That the current set up requires _some_ remedy (see Jim Zolx's post on that thread); particularly for long and cumbersome playlists
3. That, until it has been tried, the objection (singular) above can hardly be described as valid
4. From that thread there seems to be a more prevalent view that this change be implemented, and it has not yet been, even in 6.5.1b.

So, "things that I would like to see in SS7"?
This is one!

Tom

Marc Sherman
2006-08-31, 04:56
Robin Bowes wrote:
>
> ID3v2 has TMED, which is "Media Type".
>
> Vorbis comments have "SOURCEMEDIA"
>
> If files are tagged with these fields then Slimserver could use them to
> sort/filter/structure like any other field.

Interesting. I have a vague dissatisfaction with the way I currently
deal with bonus tracks on CDs (like all the demo versions at the ends of
the Ryko reissues of David Bowie and Elvis Costello records). I want to
keep them in my collection, because sometimes they're interesting, but
when I'm listening to an album, I rarely want to hear them. So what I do
is I tag them with a different album tag (adding " (Bonus)" to the end
of the album name), and add a Bonus genre tag.

It'd be nice to be able to have those bonus tracks tucked away somewhere
even more discretely than they currently are in the browse tree.

- Marc

Uwe1966
2006-08-31, 06:01
i'd like to have:

-add and delete new music without scannint the whole library

-more than one folder with mp3 in one library

-various librarys

-login to system with configurable userrights like:
-play music on player "abc..." and "def..."
-configure server
-configute client
-download music
-can use library "abc.." and "def.."
-login from ip other than "xxx.xxx.*" necessary

-change TAGs

bgriffis
2006-08-31, 06:06
The things I'd like to see:

1) Better interface! That web page feels so old and clunky. I've been using Moose and I'm happier with that. Heck, maybe Slim Devices should pick up Moose (with permission of Dr. Lovegrove) and use that as the main interface after making some further improvements. That may be a bit drastic for Slim Devices so perhaps just a more modern web page. Throw in some AJAX or something!

2) Auto DJ. It would be cool to have the capability to have SS automatically generate music to play. I'd love to see an interface like this:

Genres to Include in Auto DJ (check the genres below)
__ Rock
__ Jazz
__ Blues
:
:

Type of music to play (check one)
__ Song
__ Album
__ Artist

Percentage of Music Played (specify a percentage below)
__ Favorites (i.e. most often played)
__ Newest
__ Haven't heard for a while

So for example I could go in and tell it to play 75% of my favorites, 15% new music, and 10% stuff I haven't heard for a while.

You could consider this an extension of the Random Music capability currently available.

bgriffis
2006-08-31, 06:07
[QUOTE=Craig, James (IT);132463]> multiple delete of items from a playlist that is already open.

sides...

James
=-=

Thanks James - and apologies for not checking before posting. But (with apologies to _Private Eye_) after reading that thread, the arguments _against_ implementation are
1. It _might_ clutter up the UI.
2. um..... that's it.

The arguments in favour are:
1. The web UI is almost impossible to use when having to delete multiple items from a play list one at a time
1b. It would prevent the annoyance, alternatively, of having to clear the playlist, and then having to reconstruct the playlist one would have liked to have had
2. That the current set up requires _some_ remedy (see Jim Zolx's post on that thread); particularly for long and cumbersome playlists
3. That, until it has been tried, the objection (singular) above can hardly be described as valid
4. From that thread there seems to be a more prevalent view that this change be implemented, and it has not yet been, even in 6.5.1b.

So, "things that I would like to see in SS7"?
This is one!

Tom

Good summary. I like this idea and just voted for it. If other people like the idea I suggest they vote too!

ymilner
2006-08-31, 06:59
And what about the enhancement request by Ceejay and Listener?
has this been dropped?
I mean these:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2696
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2698
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2699
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2701

bklaas
2006-08-31, 07:20
so perhaps just a more modern web page. Throw in some AJAX or something!

When you move to 6.5, check out Nokia770 or Touch (which is a near clone of Nokia770 at this stage). Both are AJAX-driven and work great on a modern browser (e.g., Firefox, Opera). It's sure to not please everyone, but those that view the current Default Web UI as "clunky" will probably like it.

cheers,
#!/ben

stinkingpig
2006-08-31, 08:41
On 8/30/06, bossanova808 <
bossanova808.2de75z1157007601 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> Anpther vote for smart playlists - can't believe this isn't here yet,
> it's such an obviously cool feature that people love on other
> platforms...
>
>
I agree -- I'd like to see a suggestion mode, and one smart enough to talk
with Last.FM / Pandora would be very cool indeed. I suppose that would
basically mean blessing the Last.FM and SQLPlaylist plugins? There should
also be capability to play favorites from my own collection without
streaming it from Last.FM though...

On that note, a lot of the stuff in this discussion is already done in
plugins or external scripts (sometimes OS-specific though). Following that,
a lot of the discussion around those plugins / scripts is concerned with
making sure the version is right... I'd like to see infrastructure for
informing the user that there's an updated version of the plugin that
they're using.
--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional

urbanshepherd
2006-08-31, 10:21
Not sure how popular this one is, but for me support for Apple Lossless on the squeezebox itself would be a real boon so not having to decode and encode on my server.

Sorry to be dull here, but just something that niggles when i see my cpu usage being higher than what it should!

kaid
2006-08-31, 10:40
I'd like to see bug #775 resolved. I have multiple files (flac and mp3) for every CD I own for ipod support. I also have downloaded mp3's with no corresponding flac file. I would like to exclude mp3's from slimserver scanning when a corresponding flac version exists and include them when there is no corresponding flac file.

The partial fix posted by Dan Sully doesn't directly address my situation, though the following combination of suggestions in this thread might be a work around:
1. support for multiple music directories - keep my flac w/ mp3's in a different directory than my mp3's without flac's.
2. Dan's partial fix - change 8171 - excluding files by extension on a per directory basis. In other words, exclude mp3's in my flac & mp3 directory but don't exclude mp3's in my mp3 only directory.

Anyway, that would make slimserver just about perfect for my use patterns.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=775
http://svn.slimdevices.com/?rev=8171&view=rev

JJZolx
2006-08-31, 11:10
Only a small issue but I would love to see some automatic log file trimming going on - several times, I have forgotten to trim outize log files and ended up with problems.
I love this suggestion. Some log file management - purging older data and never allowing the log file to grow beyond a set size. Or else daily log rotation. On Windows it's impossible to trim or delete an open SlimServer log without first stopping the server.

jtfields
2006-08-31, 11:22
I would like a way to customize your library by player. I have a SLIMP3 in my son's room and a Squeezebox in the living room. There are certain tracks I don't want available to my son.

Ideally I would like to see some kind of list of every track in your library and beside each item you would be a list of all of your players with a check box beside each one (i.e. column #1 Track/Album/Playlist, column #2 player1 checkbox, column #3 player2 check box and so on.) You could then check or uncheck tracks, entire albums or playlists. Unchecked items would not show up in the libraries for the corresponding player while checked items would.

I guess there would need to be a setup option as to whether new music added would automatically have it's boxes checked or unchecked or, even better, configured by player (i.e. new music or playlists added are automatically available in player1 but not available in player2.)

ceejay
2006-08-31, 11:41
I would like a way to customize your library by player. I have a SLIMP3 in my son's room and a Squeezebox in the living room. There are certain tracks I don't want available to my son.

Ideally I would like to see some kind of list of every track in your library and beside each item you would be a list of all of your players with a check box beside each one (i.e. column #1 Track/Album/Playlist, column #2 player1 checkbox, column #3 player2 check box and so on.) You could then check or uncheck tracks, entire albums or playlists.) Unchecked items would not show up in the libraries for the corresponding player while checked items would.

I guess there would need to be a setup option as to whether new music added would automatically have it's boxes checked or unchecked or, even better, configured by player (i.e. new music or playlists added are automatically available in player1 but not available in player2.)

Interesting idea... as a variation on the theme, why not arrange for this data to be stored in some tag or other in the music files? That would have the advantage of surviving any need to rebuild the slimserver database. In that case it starts to sound a little like an earlier discussion on segmenting the database by owner (not quite the same I realise, but possibly solvable with a single solution)

Ceejay

TiredLegs
2006-08-31, 12:02
Not sure if this is a Slimserver or plug-in request, but I want the ability to have the random mix pick albums for me among just Rock or Jazz selections.

kdf
2006-08-31, 12:11
On 31-Aug-06, at 12:02 PM, TiredLegs wrote:

>
> Not sure if this is a Slimserver or plug-in request, but I want the
> ability to have the random mix pick albums for me among just Rock or
> Jazz selections.
>
This should already be possible. The random mix web page allows you to
select genres to include or exclude
Then you can start a random album mix, which should only run from the
genres that are checked as included.
-kdf

Josh Coalson
2006-08-31, 12:28
--- gingerneil
<gingerneil.2ddx7n1156994701 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> Pale Blue Ego;132382 Wrote:
> > There's nothing stopping you from using DRM music on the
> Squeezebox.
> > Burn your DRM downloads to an audio CD (you should do this anyway
> as a
> > backup), then rip them to a lossless format like FLAC.
> >
> > Bingo - you have full use of the - legal - download forever.
>
> No you dont. Generally, changing the format of the recording (ie from
> mp3 to flac) is illegal.

that is simply not true. if it were, every slimserver user
transcoding at the server would be breaking the law.

at least in the US, space-shifting is not so clear-cut and has
been successfully argued in some cases to be fair use.

Josh

jtfields
2006-08-31, 13:47
Interesting idea... as a variation on the theme, why not arrange for this data to be stored in some tag or other in the music files? That would have the advantage of surviving any need to rebuild the slimserver database.

I would think it would definitely need some sort of way to survive a rescan or rebuild.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Peter_N=F5u?=
2006-08-31, 13:58
kaid wrote:
> I'd like to see bug #775 resolved. I have multiple files (flac and mp3)
> for every CD I own for ipod support. I also have downloaded mp3's with
> no corresponding flac file. I would like to exclude mp3's from
> slimserver scanning when a corresponding flac version exists and
> include them when there is no corresponding flac file.
>
> The partial fix posted by Dan Sully doesn't directly address my
> situation, though the following combination of suggestions in this
> thread might be a work around:
> 1. support for multiple music directories - keep my flac w/ mp3's in a
> different directory than my mp3's without flac's.
> 2. Dan's partial fix - change 8171 - excluding files by extension on a
> per directory basis. In other words, exclude mp3's in my flac & mp3
> directory but don't exclude mp3's in my mp3 only directory.
>
> Anyway, that would make slimserver just about perfect for my use
> patterns.
>
> http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=775
> http://svn.slimdevices.com/?rev=8171&view=rev
>
>

EXACTLY my situation. Must be more of us out there ;-) /peter

JJZolx
2006-08-31, 14:14
Interesting idea... as a variation on the theme, why not arrange for this data to be stored in some tag or other in the music files? That would have the advantage of surviving any need to rebuild the slimserver database. In that case it starts to sound a little like an earlier discussion on segmenting the database by owner (not quite the same I realise, but possibly solvable with a single solution)
I see this requiring essentially three things, two of which I mentioned in the first post.

Different libraries could be created by pointing at different locations -or- they could be pointed at the same location, but filtered in some way. In this case you might have the same root music folder, but filter on a song 'content rating'.

- user profiles and logins

The 'Superuser' (Admin, whatever) would create users and then say which libraries each user may have access to. You could create appropriate libraries for the little ones. You would also assign an owner to each Squeezebox so that only that user's libraries could be seen on the remote ui. The web interface would have a user login (which would be optional, for those with no need for multiple users) and the user would only have access to their libraries there as well.

- track and/or content content rating tags

Yes, this information would need to be stored in tags to survive a clear/rescan. Maybe some tags already exist for this purpose, or maybe SlimServer can forge some new ground.

autopilot
2006-08-31, 14:14
kaid wrote:
> I'd like to see bug #775 resolved. I have multiple files (flac and mp3)
> for every CD I own for ipod support. I also have downloaded mp3's with
> no corresponding flac file. I would like to exclude mp3's from
> slimserver scanning when a corresponding flac version exists and
> include them when there is no corresponding flac file.
>
> The partial fix posted by Dan Sully doesn't directly address my
> situation, though the following combination of suggestions in this
> thread might be a work around:
> 1. support for multiple music directories - keep my flac w/ mp3's in a
> different directory than my mp3's without flac's.
> 2. Dan's partial fix - change 8171 - excluding files by extension on a
> per directory basis. In other words, exclude mp3's in my flac & mp3
> directory but don't exclude mp3's in my mp3 only directory.
>
> Anyway, that would make slimserver just about perfect for my use
> patterns.
>
> http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=775
> http://svn.slimdevices.com/?rev=8171&view=rev
>
>

EXACTLY my situation. Must be more of us out there ;-) /peter

I agree i would be a nice feature, but not critical. After ripping my CDs to FLAC, i trancode to Ogg for my PDA/MP3 for use in the car. I just set up Foobar to drop the trancoded files into a separate folder structure that is not scannned by slimserver.

Mark Lanctot
2006-08-31, 17:09
Also I like to listen to my music collection from work which is stored at home so I would like to see the music streaming improved.

How so? You'll be limited by upload speed, not anything to do with SlimServer.

A built-in SSH server for music streaming would be nice though.

agentsmith
2006-08-31, 18:24
Thanks for adding more light on this suggestion.

Additionally, the music/tag management feature is very good. Within the MusicIP interface, I can very quickly search and edit tags within the MusicIP collection, and any changes I make automatically updates the MusicIP DB. If SlimServer can do that it will be a Godsend.

MusicIP works with SlimServer. Unfortunately, since MusicIP DB and Slim DB are independent, everytime I update MusicIP, which is everyday, I have to rescan Slim to reflect the change.

ABSOLUTLY mate. I don't know why I did not mention this before, it's something that i have been thinking about since within the first 10 minutes of owning my SB3.

The current situation, where by you have to actually move/delete the files then do a complete rescan simply to remove an entry from the database, is ridiculous by anyone’s standards. However, while I am not directly involved in the development of slimserver, I know enough to realize that this would take a major redesign to how slimserver’s scanning process and database works. So I am not holding my breath until version 7.0 for any knid of dynamic database/library management. In fact, correct me if I am wrong, but I doubt we will see any kind of fully featured library management until they end this trunk and start from scratch again, right? BYW, is there a feature request open for this?

Going back to the singles issue again for a moment, this would be relatively simple to implement and would be a great feature and selling point for some people. As far as i am aware, no other device or software that i know of implicitly supports this (I’m certain the Sono's does not).

Listener
2006-08-31, 19:20
And what about the enhancement request by Ceejay and Listener?
has this been dropped?
I mean these:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2696
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2698
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2699
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2701

Thanks for mentioning these requests. (#2697 and #2700 are also relevant for classical music.)

I'm still interested in these enhancements. I've got aout 1200 classical music CDs ripped now. Without the enhancements, SS/SB just isn't useful to me.

Bill

inguz
2006-08-31, 19:57
UPnP.

Just so my various non-Squeezebox units can play (FLAC) from the main collection (with room correction etc running).

hickinbottoms
2006-09-01, 01:14
I'm sure there are some good ideas in here, but I wonder whether the wiki might not be a better place to build a 'wishlist' page?

That would allow a quick summary of the ideas to be listed, and if any of the ideas would benefit from a fleshing-out then they could link to their own wiki page, or to a bugzilla enhancement if the idea is to be pushed into a real development, perhaps?

The list/forum is a good place for discussion, but once discussion dies down I suspect the memory of these ideas will just fade away.

I don't mind starting one off (and copying the ideas from this thread), if there's any consensus and other people would chip in. I'd be happier if Slim Devices said they'd use it before I did that, though!

Just an idea.

Rather than practice what I preach, though, here's my idea...

I'd like the toggle list of plugins on the "server settings->plugins" page to also be a list of hyperlinks to the plugin settings further down the page. I always find it a bit of a trudge scrolling down a large left pane when there are a lot of plugins to find the section for a particular plugin - if I could just click on the plugin title at the top of that page and be scrolled down automatically it would be a lot quicker.

combinatorial
2006-09-01, 01:40
I'd like to see a web-based interface for installing plugins. i.e. come up
with a packaging standard (even if it is just a zip file of the plugin
distributable) and allow the user to upload the file to the server. Then
have the server install everything in the right place. Beyond the basics,
the system should then deal with versioning, server compatibility (server
version and OS), and automatic updates - the firefox extension system being
a good example.

Dave

On 9/1/06, hickinbottoms <
hickinbottoms.2dg5az1157098501 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> I'm sure there are some good ideas in here, but I wonder whether the
> wiki might not be a better place to build a 'wishlist' page?
>
> That would allow a quick summary of the ideas to be listed, and if any
> of the ideas would benefit from a fleshing-out then they could link to
> their own wiki page, or to a bugzilla enhancement if the idea is to be
> pushed into a real development, perhaps?
>
> The list/forum is a good place for discussion, but once discussion dies
> down I suspect the memory of these ideas will just fade away.
>
> I don't mind starting one off (and copying the ideas from this thread),
> if there's any consensus and other people would chip in. I'd be happier
> if Slim Devices said they'd use it before I did that, though!
>
> Just an idea.
>
> Rather than practice what I preach, though, here's my idea...
>
> I'd like the toggle list of plugins on the "server settings->plugins"
> page to also be a list of hyperlinks to the plugin settings further
> down the page. I always find it a bit of a trudge scrolling down a
> large left pane when there are a lot of plugins to find the section for
> a particular plugin - if I could just click on the plugin title at the
> top of that page and be scrolled down automatically it would be a lot
> quicker.
>
>
> --
> hickinbottoms
>
> -"Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after
> - with 'Lazy Searching' (http://hickinbottom.demon.co.uk/lazysearch)!"-
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> hickinbottoms's Profile:
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=255
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=26874
>
>

Bennett, Gavin (LDN Int)
2006-09-01, 02:19
A very useful change for me would be the ability to have player settings
replicated accross all players taking into account the different types
(SoftSqueeze, Slimp3 and Squeezebox flavours)

MAN FINANCIAL LIMITED E-MAIL DISCLAIMER

"This electronic mail message was sent by Man Financial Limited ("MFL") of
Sugar Quay, Lower Thames Street, London, EC3R 6DU, a Company registered in
England no. 1600658. MFL is authorised and regulated by the Financial
Services Authority in the UK and is a member of the Man Group. MFL appear on
the UK Financial Services Authority register under no. 106052. MFL is a
member of the London Stock Exchange.

This electronic mail message is intended only for the personal and
confidential use of the designated recipient(s) named above. If you are not
that person, you are not authorised to view, disseminate, distribute or copy
this message or any part of it without our consent; and you are requested to
return this message to the sender immediately and delete all copies from
your system.

The value of investments and foreign exchange can go up as well as down and
involve the risk of loss. You may lose more than the amount originally
invested and, in respect of products traded on margin, you may have to pay
more later. Opinions, conclusions and other information expressed in this
message are not given or endorsed by MFL unless otherwise indicated by an
authorised representative.

Due to the electronic nature of e-mails, there is a risk that the
information contained in this message has been modified. Consequently MFL
can accept no responsibility or liability as to the completeness or accuracy
of the information.

Whilst efforts are made to safeguard messages and attachments, MFL cannot
guarantee that messages or attachments are virus free, do not contain
malicious code or are compatible with your electronic systems and does not
accept liability in respect of viruses, malicious code or any related
problems that you may experience.

MFL's e-mail system is for business purposes only. All e-mail may be
reviewed by authorised personnel, and may be provided to regulatory
authorities or others with a legal right to access such information.

If you would like to find out more information about Man Financial Limited
please click on the following hyperlink to our web site. "

Web site : http://www.manfinancial.com

mherger
2006-09-01, 02:29
> A very useful change for me would be the ability to have player settings
> replicated accross all players taking into account the different types
> (SoftSqueeze, Slimp3 and Squeezebox flavours)

I thought about this, too. This would imho be (like many of the other
suggestions in this list) a great opportunity for a plugin author or
somebody who'd like to know more about the slimserver's innards to get
started with. Nothing everybody wants, thus no core functionality to be
built into slimserver, but really handy if you have use for it.
Volunteers? :-)

--

Michael

ceejay
2006-09-01, 06:04
I'm sure there are some good ideas in here, but I wonder whether the wiki might not be a better place to build a 'wishlist' page?

Like this one?

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?wishlist

Ceejay

TiredLegs
2006-09-01, 06:57
On 31-Aug-06, at 12:02 PM, TiredLegs wrote:
> Not sure if this is a Slimserver or plug-in request, but I want the ability to have the random mix
>pick albums for me among just Rock or Jazz selections.

This should already be possible. The random mix web page allows you to select genres to include or exclude Then you can start a random album mix, which should only run from the genres that are checked as included.
-kdf
Except all the music files on my Slimserver are WAVs. (Compressed files are strictly for portable devices IMHO.) Since WAVs don't have any kind of genre tag, I'm thinking that I would need to create two separate folders within the library, to split the genres apart. Unless there's some other way I haven't thought of.

)p(
2006-09-01, 07:08
Thanks for mentioning these requests. (#2697 and #2700 are also relevant for classical music.)

I'm still interested in these enhancements. I've got aout 1200 classical music CDs ripped now. Without the enhancements, SS/SB just isn't useful to me.

Bill

Another vote for these enhancements for the same reason. To be honest if these wont be adressed pretty soon I will have to look into alternatives for sb/slimserver. As it is, it just does not work for me well enough with classical music.

peter

Christopher Biscoe
2006-09-01, 07:11
This might already be in SS, so forgive me if it is, but I would love
to be able to use the Web to select dynamic, streaming content and
send it to SS for playing through my hi-fi.

For example, IMHO, KCRW is one of the world's greatest public radio
stations (no affiliation, promise). One of the really cool things
they do is archive all of their shows on a searchable page on their
website. Some of these shows are music based (for example, a one-hour
interview and performance session with the Flaming Lips, or Tom
Waits, or whatever), some of which are news/information based. What
would be amazing is the ability to select one of these archived shows
and instead of playing with Windows Media, Real Audio or Itunes/
Quicktime, but rather, send to a Slim agent, that could then play
through Squeezebox. Of course, I know there are ways to "record" or
archive locally and then add those to the slim playlist, but this
takes considerable effort and sometimes these broadcasts are not
something that you would want to preserve for multiple listenings.

I realize that this would be a technically challenging, but why stop
a boy from dreaming...

>

ceejay
2006-09-01, 07:44
This might already be in SS, so forgive me if it is, but I would love
to be able to use the Web to select dynamic, streaming content and
send it to SS for playing through my hi-fi.

For example, IMHO, KCRW is one of the world's greatest public radio
stations (no affiliation, promise). One of the really cool things
they do is archive all of their shows on a searchable page on their
website. Some of these shows are music based (for example, a one-hour
interview and performance session with the Flaming Lips, or Tom
Waits, or whatever), some of which are news/information based. What
would be amazing is the ability to select one of these archived shows
and instead of playing with Windows Media, Real Audio or Itunes/
Quicktime, but rather, send to a Slim agent, that could then play
through Squeezebox. Of course, I know there are ways to "record" or
archive locally and then add those to the slim playlist, but this
takes considerable effort and sometimes these broadcasts are not
something that you would want to preserve for multiple listenings.

I realize that this would be a technically challenging, but why stop
a boy from dreaming...

>

So, rather like AlienBBC does for the BBC's stations?

Have you tried this? Its another of the world's greatest public radio stations! :)

Ceejay

ceejay
2006-09-01, 07:52
Except all the music files on my Slimserver are WAVs. (Compressed files are strictly for portable devices IMHO.) Since WAVs don't have any kind of genre tag, I'm thinking that I would need to create two separate folders within the library, to split the genres apart. Unless there's some other way I haven't thought of.

One view of this is that you're asking a lot for slimserver to anything very clever with WAV files, when it is so dependent on tags.

However, since I think we are in "brainstorming mode" (therefore no criticism allowed ) perhaps I can try to turn this round a little. Is what you are looking for actually an enhancement to tell slimserver to guess tags other than artist/album/title from file names? EG have an option to tell it that the file structure is in the form genre/artist/album/track and to populate the database appropriately? You'd need this to be user configurable, of course. That would seem neat, doable, and meet the requirement?

Potentially expandable for other tags too, like Year? You'd need to be sure you were consistent in you file structure for it to be useful, though.

Ceejay

radish
2006-09-01, 08:08
Unless there's some other way I haven't thought of.

It's called FLAC :)

technograndad
2006-09-01, 08:21
I'd like to be able to turn off my SB3 and have it resume at the same point in the file when turned back on.
Not only that, but resume for *every* file that I've played and not reached the end of. Like TiVo does, resume by default.

(Apologies if:- a) this has already been suggested, or b) it's in v6.5 - I'm still on v6.3)

John

Paul Webster
2006-09-01, 08:38
So, rather like AlienBBC does for the BBC's stations?

Have you tried this? Its another of the world's greatest public radio stations! :)

Ceejay
By coincidence - I came across that station last night when browsing picks, I think from RadioTime.
Left it on for 2 hours as we prepared and ate dinner - thought it was great.

Will go off to look at their "Listen Again" - but sounds like being able to process like AlienBBC does with other stations would be worthwhile. Neededn't wait for post-6.5 for that though - just needs some people with time and skill to have a go.

hickinbottoms
2006-09-01, 08:57
Like this one?

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?wishlist

Ceejay

I knew there'd be one in there somewhere, but couldn't see it on my casual browsing. I might try to make that page more visible, though.

Given the huge number of items on that list (two, when I just checked), I suspect it's not having a great deal of impact on development after all!

Stuart

jtfields
2006-09-01, 09:34
I see this requiring essentially three things, two of which I mentioned in the first post.

<snip>

- user profiles and logins

The 'Superuser' (Admin, whatever) would create users and then say which libraries each user may have access to. You could create appropriate libraries for the little ones.

<snip>

- track and/or content content rating tags

Yes, this information would need to be stored in tags to survive a clear/rescan.

<snip>

While your suggestion would probably work, I don't know that it's as practical as some sort of simple filtering system for what I'm trying to accomplish. In your scenario you would have to maintain a separate library for each player. In my situation for example, the majority of the library available to both players would be substantially the same with just some albums and tracks unavailable to one of the players. I wouldn't want to maintain two libraries for this purpose as that would waste a lot of disk space and be a hassle when I wanted to add music. Now expand that to someone with several players and it really gets impractical.

My idea was merely to have a way to apply some sort of filter to your library (or libraries if multiple libraries were ever supported) to control what songs each player has access to on an individual basis.

James Dunn
2006-09-01, 13:58
I'd go for smart playlists. This would address my year limiting requirement
(e.g. for random 80's or 90's music listening).
James Dunn

Mick Horne
2006-09-01, 15:11
Upgrade the UI especially the management of playlists.

On 9/1/06, James Dunn <slim-devices (AT) hedgehog-house (DOT) co.uk> wrote:
>
> I'd go for smart playlists. This would address my year limiting
> requirement
> (e.g. for random 80's or 90's music listening).
> James Dunn
>
>
>
>

TimothyB
2006-09-01, 16:17
Does 6.5 improve support for FLAC images and cues?

These are the things that it seems I miss out on in 6.3:

- FF/RW inside tracks.
- (Album) Replay gain (? need to verify this)
- Ability to put ARTISTSORT & ALBUMSORT (by whatever name) into the cue file.

Other than that, I think a driver to emulate a really long cable from the soundcard might be nice - to allow play CDs "live" - but I'm pretty happy with how it all works now.

No, I lied - a SoftSqueeze with updated certificates (credentials?) would be handy, too.

-- Timothy

glem01
2006-09-01, 16:31
Hi,

while the discussions about the administration of music collections are important and I mostly agree, there are other slimserver related issues that shouldn't be forgotten:

1) try to reduce the footprint of SlimServer. This is very important for the increasing use of small Linux fileservers (Synology, Linkstation and others) where SlimServer has to run. Certainly it usees too much ressources, mainly memory, compared to many other applications running on the same systems. I know, it's perl interpreted, but even then... Perhaps modularizing more and implementing more functions as optional plugins? Maintain the core functionality as small as possible.

2) implement native support for RSTP (upgrading the SQbox firmware). It's quite a pain to get AlienBBC working on small machines (see above). Or are there any copyright or technical issues for not doing it?

3) optimize the Web interface for small devices like handhelds, smartphones and so on. I usually don't carry a laptop with me.

Greetings, Manuel

Philip Meyer
2006-09-01, 16:34
>> I would like a way to customize your library by player. I have a SLIMP3
>> in my son's room and a Squeezebox in the living room. There are certain
>> tracks I don't want available to my son.
>>
>Interesting idea... as a variation on the theme, why not arrange for
>this data to be stored in some tag or other in the music files?

A better solution would be to use multiple music libraries/personas.

Eg. you could have libraries/personas called "Dads" and "Son's".
You could have 3 music folders - Dad's, Son's and Shared.
Dads persona could include Dads music folder and shared.
Son's persona could include Son's music folder and shared.

Son's Squeezebox could be configured to use Son's persona, so would use Son's music library.
Living room Squeezebox could be configured to use Dad's persona.

Optionally, perhaps a persona could be configured with a password to restrict access.
Optionally, perhaps restrict persona's to specific players.

I think this kind of support is so versatile, it could fit in with many different user requirements.

Phil

Philip Meyer
2006-09-01, 16:44
>Since 6.5 is pretty much in the bag, what do you want in SlimServer 7?

Forget about updating SlimServer, top of my wishlist is for the forum bug that causes incorrect threading of mail messages to be fixed. I just got totally confused reading a bunch of posts in reply to the wrong message.

The forum should be made read-only until the bug 2712 is fixed.

Philip Meyer
2006-09-01, 16:48
>I thought about this, too. This would imho be (like many of the other
>suggestions in this list) a great opportunity for a plugin author or
>somebody who'd like to know more about the slimserver's innards to get
>started with. Nothing everybody wants, thus no core functionality to be
>built into slimserver, but really handy if you have use for it.

Can't you just copy a block of options from the slimserver.prefs file?

Phil

jtfields
2006-09-01, 20:43

I can see where the support for multiple libraries and "personas" could be used to acheive my goal, however, I don't really see that as a better solution. That would require me to change the way I organize my music (which is used for more than just the my Squeezeboxes.) Also, your method becomes somewhat difficult for someone with a lot of players because one shared folder probably wouldn't do.

For example, say you have three players and song A is shared by players 1 and 2 but not 3, however, song B is shared by players 2 and 3 but not 1. And, of course, there's song C shared by players 1 and 3 but not 2. A single "shared" folder would not do. Toss in more players and really big libraries and it could start to get really complex. The only way to manage that with folders would be to start having a separate library for each player which would end up with a lot of redundancy and use a lot of disk space (not to mention making adding music a little more cumbersome.)

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of SlimServer supporting multiple libraries and being able to control which players see which libraries. However, my personal preference is to also be able to filter at the album, track and playlist level for each player. In other words, I want to be able to look at a track (or album or playlist) and say "I want player 1 and 2 to see it but not player 3."

A nice GUI for this would be my "check box" idea.

Philip Meyer
2006-09-02, 01:30
>The only way to
>manage that with folders would be to start having a separate library for
>each player which would end up with a lot of redundancy and use a lot of
>disk space (not to mention making adding music a little more
>cumbersome.)
>
Tou could have a separate library for each player with little redundancy, as each library could contain links to the actual folders where the music is stored, rather than duplicating the music.

I can't see that there would be much demand for your checkbox filtering of a whole library - it's rather unique for your situation. You wouldn't get a lot of support for the feature either, eg. I'm sure plugins wouldn't be adapted, so for example if you were to use lazy search, it would find music that shouldn't be available in your library. Would the functionality also extend to saved playlists? I can't see how it would work.

That's a lot of maintenance too. Every time you add a new player, you'd have to go through the whole library deciding what music should be allowed to play on it. It may be okay for a small library, but not when scaled up to a few hundred albums or more.

Phil

cparker
2006-09-02, 02:26
I would like to see it doing the basics first before adding more bells, I dont care about streaming I want my MP3 collection I've already bought to be played seamlessly when ripped by LAME

See http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1026 which has been open 18 months now!

Please vote for it so maybe it will get fixed

jtfields
2006-09-02, 06:54
Tou could have a separate library for each player with little redundancy, as each library could contain links to the actual folders where the music is stored, rather than duplicating the music.

I can't see that there would be much demand for your checkbox filtering of a whole library...

Would the functionality also extend to saved playlists?...

That's a lot of maintenance too. Every time you add a new player, you'd have to go through the whole library deciding what music should be allowed to play on it...

True, doing it with links would cut out on the redundancy but it would create a big hassle. Someone could literally have to create thousands of links.

I don't know what kind of demand there would be for this type of functionality. Most people probably want most of their players to have access to their entire collection so demand very well might be low. I would guess it would mostly be used in situations where you wanted parental control, in households where musical tastes varied widely (i.e. Dad could care less about his Squeezebox having kid's Britney Spears and kid doesn't want Dad's Frank Sinatra, etc.), or if you had a Squeezebox in a location where you wanted a limited library. That said, I'm the first to admit that the suggestion is a selfish one. ;)

I really hadn't thought about plug-in support. Since plug-ins are optional if you made heavy use of filtering then I guess you'd need to take that into consideration when you decide which plug-ins you want to use.

I would like the functionality to extend to saved playlists but not on the individual song level in a playlist. In other words, I would like the ability to dictate which players see which playlists.

If such funtionality existed my guess is that it could be extended to any of the tags to which you have browse or search capabilities. Therefore, if you uncheck Pink Floyd all Pink Floyd albums become unchecked automatically for that player, if you only uncheck a particular album then all the tracks associated with that album become unchecked or you could just uncheck particular songs. I've seen database filters that funtion similarly to this. I just don't know if that's something that can be extended to the Squeezebox.

In my fantasy world there would be some sort of setting where you told it when you added a player to either give that player the ability to start by seeing everything, nothing or copy the filter from another player. That would give you a starting point then you could go in and start checking/unchecking boxes ot customize the new player. Yes, it could be a hassle but it sure beats having to do it by creating a whole new library with a bunch of links. Not to mention that you just take the time to do it once and it's done. I don't think most people add new players on a very frequent basis.

JJZolx
2006-09-02, 07:12
I don't know what kind of demand there would be for this type of functionality. Most people probably want most of their players to have access to their entire collection so demand very well might be low. I would guess it would mostly be used in situations where you wanted parental control, in households where musical tastes varied widely (i.e. Dad could care less about his Squeezebox having kid's Britney Spears and kid doesn't want Dad's Frank Sinatra, etc.), or if you had a Squeezebox in a location where you wanted a limited library. That said, I'm the first to admit that the suggestion is a selfish one. ;)
There's a _lot_ of call for this type of functionality. As I pointed out in a reply above, this really requires user management of some kind, coupled with the concept of a player belonging to a given user, plus multiple libraries and/or filtering.

Keep in mind that you not only have to lock down the player through the remote ui, but you need to control what can be seen and played through the web ui. That requires knowing who's logged in to the web interface and then being able to control what music they see.

Many people just want to be able to browse their own music without having to wade through the music of their children, or their husband, etc. It's less of a content-security concern, but essentially the same thing. There's also the 'Christmas party' or 'kids party' scenarios. You have a player that you want your guests to have access to, but you need to limit what music they can play. This has all been requested and discussed quite a few times. The demand is very high.

jalessi
2006-09-02, 07:31
It would be great to have a feature like iTunes Smart Playlists, but as a Smart Filter instead of a playlist.

You could define filters using SlimServer and then apply them from the player. The filters would be setup much like the Smart Playlists in iTunes, but unlike a playlist, once a filter is applied to a Squeezebox, every function of the SqueezeBox will ignore items that do not fall into the filter.

Filters could be selected from the SB at a top level menu so that all existing menu options (i.e. Browse, Search, etc...) would only operate on the filtered data.

I could create a filter that only contains FLAC files, or a filter for my kids music, or a filter that blocks out all my kids music (for my use). What about a filter to only show only classical music, or just the opposite (show everything but classical music). A filter to show everything but holliday music?

Defined filters could also be stacked (combined).

What do you think?

jalessi
2006-09-02, 07:33
My flac files have the album art UUEncoded inside meta tags as opposed to an external jpeg. I would love to have SS recognize this information.

jalessi
2006-09-02, 07:37
I would like to restrict access to my SS by fully qualified domain name as opposed to IP. That would allow me to define access from computers with a dynamic IP. An alternative would be to restrict access by MAC address.

jimwillsher
2006-09-02, 07:58
Two major improvements for me would be:

1) Better UI. There's simply no quick way to move a track 15 places up/down a playlist, other than to click the arrow, wait for refresh, click the arrow, wait for refresh, click the arrow etc. etc. Surely there's some scope for drag 'n' drop functionality? Most browsers provide some level of support for this now,

2) Integration of AlienBBC. I want to list to BBC Radio, but my Slimserver runs on a non-GUI Ubuntu webserver box. As such, I have virtually none of the prequiquisites installed - MPlayer, the codecs, etc. Surely these can now be bundled into the main release, and optimised? After all, SoftSqueeze is now incorporated into the build.

That's it! Those two would transform my SB3 dramatically.

Jim

rfreedman
2006-09-02, 09:08
I would like to see it doing the basics first before adding more bells, I dont care about streaming I want my MP3 collection I've already bought to be played seamlessly when ripped by LAME

See http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1026 which has been open 18 months now!

I agree - I think that stability of the existing codebase should take priority over new features.

As of today, there are 29 bugs listed as "major" or higher in severity.

I would hope that at least these 29 would be fixed before any new features are added.

Rich

stinkingpig
2006-09-02, 09:28
On 9/2/06, jtfields <jtfields.2difpn1157205301 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> Phil Meyer;132988 Wrote:
> > Tou could have a separate library for each player with little
> > redundancy, as each library could contain links to the actual folders
> > where the music is stored, rather than duplicating the music.
> >
> > I can't see that there would be much demand for your checkbox filtering
> > of a whole library...
> >
> > Would the functionality also extend to saved playlists?...
> >
> > That's a lot of maintenance too. Every time you add a new player,
> > you'd have to go through the whole library deciding what music should
> > be allowed to play on it...
>
> True, doing it with links would cut out on the redundancy but it would
> create a big hassle. Someone could literally have to create thousands
> of links.
>
>
create thousands of links or check thousands of checkboxes... I think the
only way to get the desired functionality without doing some sort of manual
sorting is to bring in multiple users and rating, then have each user rate
out the music they don't like; problem is that this takes forever, and will
still produce mistakes (like when you accidentally zap a song you like using
the remote).

At the end of the day, sorting and rating your music is a manual task, no
matter what program you use to do it with, because you have to make the
decision (or review the program's decision). This is why my Slimserver now
has 14,299 tracks, because I can't deal with sorting out and archiving the
stuff I don't listen to any more.
--

aubuti
2006-09-02, 10:16
1) Better UI. There's simply no quick way to move a track 15 places up/down a playlist, other than to click the arrow, wait for refresh, click the arrow, wait for refresh, click the arrow etc. etc. Surely there's some scope for drag 'n' drop functionality? Most browsers provide some level of support for this now,

That's it! Those two would transform my SB3 dramatically.
Then check out the ExBrowse3 plugin, which has supported drag-and-drop in the playlist at least since version 6.2. I'm not sure if it's being kept current with version 6.5, and it would be nice if other skins supported d&d, but in the interim it might help.

lrossouw
2006-09-03, 09:29
my list:
- better in track ffw and rw (scanning)
- integration with windows media player(wmp) library (like the "use itunes" /"use music ip" options)
- use of automatic playlists (from itunes\wmp)
- updating of playcounts back to files\itunes\wmp libraries
- updating of star ratings similarly
- playing and creation of lastfm\pandora stations but from local music (i.e. no streaming, only selecting songs on the slimserver).

still, thanks for a great product!

mherger
2006-09-04, 04:47
> 3) optimize the Web interface for small devices like handhelds,
> smartphones and so on. I usually don't carry a laptop with me.

Tried http://yourserver:9000/Handheld/?

--

Michael

mherger
2006-09-04, 04:50
> Can't you just copy a block of options from the slimserver.prefs file?

_You_ could, and _I_ could. But don't ask any user to manipulate the prefs
file.

--

Michael

Steve
2006-09-04, 05:10
For me, parental controls are needed. What with so many tracks containing
swearing I'd like a better way of managing what can get played at certain
times.

As a work around I've tagged albums and tracks I know are dodgy with
"NotForKids" so if I want to play random music I just exclude this genre.
Dirty but works, but means I lose the genre tag.

Ideally the DB should be able to flag files as adult content and then set a
time when these can be played without some sort of PIN override. The
difficult part is knowing which files to tag. Is there an online reference
telling you what albums contain swearing?

Steve

On 30/08/06, JJZolx <JJZolx.2dd4qn1156957801 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> Since 6.5 is pretty much in the bag, what do you want in SlimServer 7?
>
> Me? I feel that the two biggest omissions in SlimServer currently are
> the lack of
>
> - multiple music libraries
>
> - individual user customization
>
>
> --
> JJZolx
>
> Jim
> JJZolx's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=10
>
>

smst
2006-09-04, 05:36
As a work around I've tagged albums and tracks I know are dodgy with "NotForKids" so if I want to play random music I just exclude this genre. Dirty but works, but means I lose the genre tag.I'm not sure you should have to lose the GENRE tag, although I guess it depends on the audio format. Do you use a format which supports multiple genres? (And does SlimServer support that?) You might be able to just add that NotForKids genre to the existing genre.

Steve
2006-09-04, 06:26
I'm using mostly 192kb VBR MP3 - Don't know if it or SS supports multiple
genres.

On 04/09/06, smst <smst.2dm1kn1157373601 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> Steve;133412 Wrote:
> > As a work around I've tagged albums and tracks I know are dodgy with
> > "NotForKids" so if I want to play random music I just exclude this
> > genre. Dirty but works, but means I lose the genre tag.I'm not sure you
> should have to lose the GENRE tag, although I guess it
> depends on the audio format. Do you use a format which supports
> multiple genres? (And does SlimServer support that?) You might be
> able to just add that NotForKids genre to the existing genre.
>
>
> --
> smst
> smst's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=752
>
>

stinkingpig
2006-09-04, 06:46
On 9/4/06, Steve <stevekdavis (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:
>
> I'm using mostly 192kb VBR MP3 - Don't know if it or SS supports multiple
> genres.
>
>
Use MP3Tag to make sure everything's using ID3v2 tags and not ID3v1, then
you can select as many genre's per track as you want (within reason).

--

radish
2006-09-04, 10:01
- use of automatic playlists (from itunes\wmp)
- updating of playcounts back to files\itunes\wmp libraries
- updating of star ratings similarly

Isn't that all already there if you use the appropriate plugins?

- playing and creation of lastfm\pandora stations but from local music (i.e. no streaming, only selecting songs on the slimserver).

I'm not sure that's possible - pandora for example doesn't let you create stations based on external data.

lrossouw
2006-09-04, 10:51
Isn't that all already there if you use the appropriate plugins?

I'm not sure that's possible - pandora for example doesn't let you create stations based on external data.

based on my reading of the various trackstat plugins:

no there is no plugins for windows media player auto playlists. (itunes?)
trackstat only works with itunes? unless it updates the stars in wmp? playcounts?

Jim Voos
2006-09-04, 11:36
I would like to see less focus on more features and general focus on the
stability of the server. Fewer crashes. Rewrite of code that is not too
stable. The server needs to be more rock solid with streaming audio sources

Philip Meyer
2006-09-04, 11:48
>_You_ could, and _I_ could. But don't ask any user to manipulate the prefs
>file.
I was naively thinking that only geeks would own more than a couple of players ;)

Phil

mherger
2006-09-04, 12:06
> I was naively thinking that only geeks would own more than a couple of
> players ;)

I wouldn't call my GF a geek - but she still likes to have on in her room.
(And then I must be the geek installing the other five players in the
remaining three rooms :-))

--

Michael

StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

stevek1006
2006-09-04, 12:50

Bill

One more vote for better handling of classical music. This is the issue that keeps me looking for alternatives to the Squeezebox.

Phill Edwards
2006-09-04, 13:51
More work on the Softsqueeze client to give it built-in LIRC support
(at least for Linux and whatever the equivalent is for Windows).

stinkingpig
2006-09-04, 16:15
On 9/4/06, stevek1006 <
stevek1006.2dmlpn1157399701 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> Listener;132695 Wrote:
> > Thanks for mentioning these requests. (#2697 and #2700 are also relevant
> > for classical music.)
> >
> > I'm still interested in these enhancements. I've got aout 1200
> > classical music CDs ripped now. Without the enhancements, SS/SB just
> > isn't useful to me.
> >
> > Bill
>
> One more vote for better handling of classical music. This is the issue
> that keeps me looking for alternatives to the Squeezebox.
>
>
>
>
I don't care about classical at all, having 87 classical tracks out of
14,299 total tracks. However, I'd still vote for this as a generally useful
thing (and in-line with the high-end, audiophile marketing moves).

--

smc2911
2006-09-04, 16:44

Gapless playback is not possible for mp3s. It's an intrinsic problem with the mp3 format rather than a Slimserver/Squeezebox problem. No player can achieve gapless mp3 playback. Squeezebox does deliver gapless playback for codecs that allow it (e.g. ogg, flac).

wunder
2006-09-04, 18:15
1. Freeform search function- I'm not sure if that's a server function or firmware for the box (or both).

2. Better FF/RW ability. That's one thing I really miss when moving from CDs.

3. Recover more gracefully from wireless issues. When the buffer runs out, the player just stutters until my microwave or phone stops messing with the wireless- sometimes it takes quite a while. If I just pause playback, then it plays well for quite a while before hiccuping again. I have an 802.11g router on the way...

4. Better handling of classical music.

radish
2006-09-04, 19:38
Gapless playback is not possible for mp3s. It's an intrinsic problem with the mp3 format rather than a Slimserver/Squeezebox problem. No player can achieve gapless mp3 playback. Squeezebox does deliver gapless playback for codecs that allow it (e.g. ogg, flac).

That's true in the general case, i.e. it's impossible to guarantee gapless playback for any arbitrary set of mp3 files. However, there are ways of getting gapless from mp3 in a lot of cases. The easiest and most foolproof is to read the tags that LAME has been embedding for quite some time which indicate the amount of padding on the end of the file which should be skipped. If the files are LAME encoded (and I'd guess most are) and the player reads the tags, then gapless is perfectly possible. Most software players (Winamp, Foobar, etc) and even some hardware players (Rio Karma) read these tags. Squeezebox could and should.

erland
2006-09-04, 21:35
My top wishes/suggestions:

1. Persistent statistics that survives rescan
This is really critical, statistics such as play counts, ratings, last played time, added time is the core information to be used in smart playlists. In my
opinion this is the most important information in slimserver besides the actual music files themself.
Slimserver needs a way for this kind of information to survive a rescan and being able to easily backup/restore.
Sure TrackStat tries to solve this as good as it can, but it would be a lot simplier and better if this kind of information survived rescans with the standard slimserver.

2. Support for setting/viewing rating in standard slimserver
Today there a number of different plugins that tries to support ratings, sometimes in different ways.
This can result in a real mess and collisions when people want to use several of these plugins.
I wish the standard slimserver would support a way for the user to set/view ratings in a standard way.

3. Plugin manager
In my opinion plugins are the thing that really make slimserver shine.
My wish is just that there would be easier for people to find and install a plugin and also to be notified that there are new versions available.
This could be solved by some sort of plugin manager included in slimserver which shows all available plugins and makes it possible to download and install a new
plugin by simply clicking on a plugin item.

4. Plugin customizable web interface
Today plugins have to put their information into separate pages in the web interface which makes them a little harder to access. I wish there
was a way for plugins to integrate their information and functionallity in the standard slimserver browse pages or at least in the track details page.

mherger
2006-09-04, 23:43
> 4. Plugin customizable web interface
> Today plugins have to put their information into separate pages in
> the web interface which makes them a little harder to access. I wish
> there
> was a way for plugins to integrate their information and
> functionallity in the standard slimserver browse pages or at least in
> the track details page.

That's something Dean mentioned a long way back (more than a year) when I
published the Bio/Review plugins: have these information right there in
the song info mode of the player or the info page in the web interface.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=14230#8

I recently had a quick look at the player interface, but right now there
really is no way to do it. But as Dean mentioned it, chances might be good
- if someone takes the time to come up with a good idea and a patch :-)

--

Michael

Philip Meyer
2006-09-05, 00:01
>2. Better FF/RW ability. That's one thing I really miss when moving
>from CDs.

I actually like the FF/RW functionality (although there's currently a few bugs to be ironed out in the 6.5 beta) How would you see it being improved?

Also, there's a plugin that presents the song progress as a bar, whereby up/down will change the position in the song like changing the volume on the player UI. I use both mechanisms from time to time. The built-in mechanism is useful for skipping ahead/back a little bit, the plugin is useful when you want to skip ahead a long way and know the rough time position.

Alternatively consider breaking up long pieces of music into smaller sections using cue sheets, so you can >> to the next "track".

Phil

mherger
2006-09-05, 00:20
> 4. Plugin customizable web interface

Not only web, but player, too.

> Today plugins have to put their information into separate pages in
> the web interface which makes them a little harder to access. I wish
> there

How would you imagine that: add some textual or graphical information to
the page/menu? Or only add a link to your information? What would you like
to add to the browse pages?

--

Michael

mecouc
2006-09-05, 04:58
I'd like to see:

* Better handling of plugins:
I imagine a plugin manager utility that checks the web for available plugins, and which downloads and installs them just by (un)ticking the relevant boxes. It would also check which plugins work with the currently installed Slimserver version. I know it isn't hard to manually download most of them, but it would add a much more professional look to it. I have several plugins installed that crash my Slimserver.. I don't know whether there are new versions, whether they need configuring, or whether somethign else is wrong.. and I've lost the will to sort it out.

* Ability to either add tags from the remote control, or add the current track to an arbitrary new or existing playlist, without effecting the currently playing playlist. I guess that's a plugin really.

mecouc
2006-09-05, 05:10
The other thing I'd like is to improve random play to allow me to play: genre-A & genre-B but not if also tagged genre-C

I'd second the suggestion of focus on stability over new features (apart from the features I suggest myself of course).

jeffluckett
2006-09-05, 08:38
I haven't read through all 11 pages of this thread. So, if my idea here is already mentioned ... consider this a 'vote' in favor of this recommendation.

I'd like to see some more visualizations that are keyed to the music.

The various VU meters and spectrum analyzers are OK as they go, but I'd like to see something more 'creative' and fun than just the technical information.

Perhaps some morphing shapes or dancing dudes or ... whatever. Kind of like the visualizations that already exist for most software-based players like Winamp or Windows Media Player. It'd be nice to see something that takes full advantage of the capabilities of the fancy, expensive displays on SB3 and Transporter.

I'd also like to see:

* Better handling for plugins. A plugin manager would be nice, with a repository of plugins available for download that are compatible with your Slim server. It'd also be good if they could check to see if new versions were available, and allow you to download/install right from the slimserver web interface.

* Ability to instantly add new music without having to rescan your library. Why can't SlimServer "watch" your music folder like so many other 'media manager' software packages out there and just add new music 'on the fly'. MusicMagic does this ... as do apps like Picasa.

* More AJAX-ification of the web interfaces. I see some nice starts in this direction in Fishbone. AJAX interfaces will lighten the load on the SlimServer by only updating what's changed, rather than reloading whole pages all the time. A boon for people who are hosting thier SlimServer on low-spec machines and NAS boxes. I host my SlimServer on a 800Mhz P-III with 512MB ram ... and waiting for page loads is sometimes painful ... and this machine isn't as anemic as some others I've read about here.

* Reduce the memory footprint of the Server. Currently Slim.exe is stomping on > 37MB, and the Scanner.exe is just under 30MB, and then add the mysqld.exe at 15MB ... seems kinda fat. (6.5b1 - 9424 - Windows Server 2003 - EN - cp1252). For comparison ... MusicMagicServer.exe is only sitting on about 15MB, and there's no shortage of functionality in that app.

erland
2006-09-05, 09:16
> I wish there

How would you imagine that: add some textual or graphical information to
the page/menu? Or only add a link to your information? What would you like
to add to the browse pages?

Links are a minumum requirement, but I can see cases where it would be a good idea to also be able to add information. For example to show average ratings for the album, artist and track from the TrackStat statistics directly on the song info page in the web interface.

mherger
2006-09-05, 10:12
> I'd like to see some more visualizations that are keyed to the music.
> The various VU meters and spectrum analyzers are OK as they go, but I'd
> like to see something more 'creative' and fun than just the technical
> information.

You're a lucky guy:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19734&page=2#69

> Perhaps some morphing shapes or dancing dudes or ... whatever. Kind of

That plugin should already contain some "stick man" animation.

--

Michael

autopilot
2006-09-05, 10:40
Speaking of visualisations, there are some excellent ones for Winamp. I dont mean the full screen 3d stuff like AVS, i mean the ones you see in the spectrum window - different spectrums, dancing men, space invaders - all moving with the music. They are quite simple and i am sure there must be some way of porting them over for the SB3. Whoever could find a way would be a hero in my book :D

mherger
2006-09-05, 13:37
> Links are a minumum requirement, but I can see cases where it would be
> a good idea to also be able to add information. For example to show
> average ratings for the album, artist and track from the TrackStat
> statistics directly on the song info page in the web interface.

Just for the records I opened a feature request:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4054

--

Michael

Christopher Biscoe
2006-09-05, 20:11
I haven't tried it in a long time. When I did, the plug-in was still
in Beta, so it had a number of problems. Will definitely check it out.

Thanks,

Chris

On Sep 1, 2006, at 10:44 AM, ceejay wrote:

>
> Christopher Biscoe;132791 Wrote:
>> This might already be in SS, so forgive me if it is, but I would love
>> to be able to use the Web to select dynamic, streaming content and
>> send it to SS for playing through my hi-fi.
>>
>> For example, IMHO, KCRW is one of the world's greatest public radio
>> stations (no affiliation, promise). One of the really cool things
>> they do is archive all of their shows on a searchable page on their
>> website. Some of these shows are music based (for example, a one-hour
>>
>> interview and performance session with the Flaming Lips, or Tom
>> Waits, or whatever), some of which are news/information based. What
>> would be amazing is the ability to select one of these archived shows
>>
>> and instead of playing with Windows Media, Real Audio or Itunes/
>> Quicktime, but rather, send to a Slim agent, that could then play
>> through Squeezebox. Of course, I know there are ways to "record" or
>> archive locally and then add those to the slim playlist, but this
>> takes considerable effort and sometimes these broadcasts are not
>> something that you would want to preserve for multiple listenings.
>>
>> I realize that this would be a technically challenging, but why stop
>> a boy from dreaming...
>>
>>
>>
>>>
>
>
> So, rather like AlienBBC does for the BBC's stations?
>
> Have you tried this? Its another of the world's greatest public radio
> stations! :)
>
> Ceejay
>
>
> --
> ceejay
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> --
> ceejay's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=148
>
>

wunder
2006-09-07, 05:20
I actually like the FF/RW functionality (although there's currently a few bugs to be ironed out in the 6.5 beta) How would you see it being improved?

Ok, maybe I'm doing something wrong here- when I press and hold FF or RW, it starts rewinding and I can increase the speed, but how the heck do you resume playing from that spot? When I hit play, it starts over. When I press and hold RW, it immediately starts rewinding. I've read the manual and it doesn't mention how to resume?

wunder
2006-09-07, 05:38
Well, I think I see what's happening. For whatever reason, most of the time when I hit play while FF or RW, nothing happens, then I hit play again thinking that I didn't press it strongly enough and then it immediately plays from the beginning of the track. If I wait for several seconds, it SOMETIMES resumes from there, but sometimes it just locks up until I press another button. Also, the FF/RW are erratic- sometimes it freezes until I press another button and sometimes it acts like it's really FF'ing and makes it to the end of the track and starts the next track. I'm hoping this is because I'm using 802.11b- new 802.11g has been ordered...

intermod
2006-09-07, 06:14
G won't make a difference if you have weak signals (which is what it sounds
like) and/or IX (interference). Connect it directly to your LAN using the
Ethernet and check again. My guess is that you will find better
performance. Key in wireless is the ratio of signal to interference.
Increase signal strength, reduce IX, or both.

Unless the antennas are directional, increasing antenna quality and gain
will not change the ratio, unless you place such an antenna on the side of
the link that is *not* being interfered with (have fun finding which one
this is).

Also - don't use standard consumer-grade access points - they only have
30-40 mW of transmit power, and deaf receivers. The better ones have 200
mw of transmit power (7+ dB better), and their receivers can be 10 dB more
sensitive.

Look at Senao, others.

Greg

> -----Original Message-----
> From: discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
> [mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com]On Behalf Of wunder
> Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2006 05:39
> To: discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
> Subject: [slim] Re: Let's here some suggestions for SlimServer 7
>
>
>
> Well, I think I see what's happening. For whatever reason, most of the
> time when I hit play while FF or RW, nothing happens, then I hit play
> again thinking that I didn't press it strongly enough and then it
> immediately plays from the beginning of the track.

Nostromo
2006-09-07, 07:35
I'm using 802.11g and REW/FFW is barely functional

Take Echoes by Pink Floyd, for example. I ffw the song to the 10 minute mark and when I press play,it starts playing at the 5 minute mark.

JohnnyLightOn
2006-09-07, 10:01
The FF/REW definitely needs improvement.

Additionally, and at the very minimum, SlimServer's web interface should have the ability to click any place on a progress bar of the length of the song and have the song immediately start playing from there. Just like in iTunes, WMP, etc.

Nostromo
2006-09-07, 10:07
Why did they use a web interface, btw?

mherger
2006-09-07, 10:20
> Why did they use a web interface, btw?

I can't speak for Sean or Dean, but there's at least one huge advantage:
cross-platform. Another one would be (relative) ease of customization:
there are skins optimized for handhelds, tablets as the Nokia 770, PCs.

BTW: I was looking for a web based music manager when I came across
Slimserver. Buying the first device (SliMP3!) came quite a bit later.

--

Michael

Mark Lanctot
2006-09-07, 10:20
Why did they use a web interface, btw?

Cross-platform, can be accessed from a LAN or the Internet. No client software installation required.

Philip Meyer
2006-09-08, 16:42
>The FF/REW definitely needs improvement.
>
Appart from a bug that seems to affect SoftSqueeze a lot more than squeezeboxes, I'm finding FF/REW to be working rather well in 6.5 beta. Maybe it's been improved since 6.3?

The only minor functional issue I have is that if I gradually increase the FF speed through x2, x4, x8, x16, etc, then start to REW, I would expect the FF speed to decrease. But currently slimserver will jump straight down to x-2.

The built-in FF/REW functionality is useful if you want to hear the music as you skip forwards so you know roughly when to stop.

To complement the built-in functionality, I can recommend KDF's scanner plugin. I have bound this to Play.hold, such that pressing and holding play will display a progress bar. Using up/down buttons allows the current song position to be changed. The music will continue to play at normal speed whilst the user selects the new position. When a selection is made and play is pressed, the song instantly jumps to the new play position. This is more useful if you know where you want to position a song, as it is quicker to get there. Exact positioning is not possible if you have a long song, but it can get you close to where you want to be in a faster way than FF/REW.

>Additionally, and at the very minimum, SlimServer's web interface
>should have the ability to click any place on a progress bar of the
>length of the song and have the song immediately start playing from
>there. Just like in iTunes, WMP, etc.
I believe the Fishbone skin supports this in 6.5 - not sure how accurate it is, as I don't often need to position a song playing on my squeezebox from the web UI - I use a remote in the room I am playing the music in.

Phil

Skunk
2006-09-10, 08:47
I wish they would lose the musical note in the now playing information, or have a title format option that didn't include it.

jams
2006-09-11, 05:34
The area i think needs some improvement is managing playlists via the web interface. Once you chuck some tunes into a playlist it is very difficult to move them about. You simply have the option to move up or down a place and delete. I would really like to be able to drag and drop file around the playlist.

For example you select a load of songs to be played into a playlist. Then you see one near the bottom that you want to hear next. I'd love to be able to drag it there, rather than press the up arrow 20+ times to get it to the top of the list.

jeffluckett
2006-09-11, 05:51
The area i think needs some improvement is managing playlists via the web interface. Once you chuck some tunes into a playlist it is very difficult to move them about. You simply have the option to move up or down a place and delete. I would really like to be able to drag and drop file around the playlist.

For example you select a load of songs to be played into a playlist. Then you see one near the bottom that you want to hear next. I'd love to be able to drag it there, rather than press the up arrow 20+ times to get it to the top of the list.

...or at the very least, be able to edit the playlist position by entering a number. Similar to the way you can re-order your queue at Netflix. I realize drag/drop can be a bit of a challenge since it requires some fancy DHTML and probably AJAX.

aubuti
2006-09-11, 06:57
...or at the very least, be able to edit the playlist position by entering a number. Similar to the way you can re-order your queue at Netflix. I realize drag/drop can be a bit of a challenge since it requires some fancy DHTML and probably AJAX.
FTR, drag&drop re-ordering of the playlist works quite well in the pre-6.5 versions of the ExBrowse3 skin, so it shouldn't be a huge technical hurdle. Unfortunately, updating of ExBrowse3 for 6.5 has been lagging.

gutted
2006-09-11, 09:17
I've not read all the posts in this thread yet, so apologies if this has already been mentioned.

It would be excellent to be able to cancel a scan part-way through. My library, in the scheme of things, is quite small. even so, a scan takes well over 30 mins. Others must be quite literally hours...

Option to cancel a scan part way through would be ace :)

thing-fish
2006-09-11, 09:32

I have not installed 6.5 yet; I'm running FreeBSD and though I often use nightly builds of <6.5 it seemed like 6.5 had enough changes that I wanted to just use the ports collection to upgrade.

So with the disclaimer that I haven't seen 6.5 (so this feature could already be in it), what I want is simple: I want to be able to reorder/delete songs in the playlist the same way that I can reorder/delete DVDs in my Netflix queue.

For those of you that haven't seen it, imagine an ordered list where the numeric position is an editable text box. If I have ten items and want to move the 10th to the 1st position and the 8th to the second position, I just type 1 and 2 in the appropriate boxes and click update. If you want to delete there's a checkbox on the line. If you entered the same number in multiple boxes it gracefully handles those "ties" that you may have inadvertently created.

Instead of laboriously moving tracks one at a time it would allow for very quick and easy playlist editing. I would so utterly love this feature.

Nostromo
2006-09-15, 19:38
Very good suggestions all around.

- I'd also like a better UI. I'm using the default skin and it feels clunky and unresponsive. It also lacks essential functionalities like drag and drop. The UI should be as responsive, as intuitive and as functional as iTunes or Windows Media Player. Now the question is: can you have all that in a web interface? I doubt it. That's why I would prefer a Windows client, instead of the Web interface. If iTunes supported FLAC, I would use it to manage my playlists, tags... I just heard about Moose and I think I'll give it a spin. I'll also give ExBrowse3 a try. Maybe I'm wrong about the web interface. :)

- Improve FF/RW

- Full support for smart playlists. Erland did a great job with SQL playlists, but its not as intuitive and user-friendly as Apple's smart playlists. Also, the current dynamic playlists are hidden too far away in the Squeezebox menu. They should be available in the "browse playlist" menu, with all your other playlists. Also, like iTunes, the star ratings should be available on the main screen, not hidden away.

Btw, are there already bug reports for these feature requests?

autopilot
2006-09-16, 10:55
Just a small request, but it would be nice if you could have the VU screensaver running, but have it switch to Now Playing for a few seconds every time the track changes, then back to the VU (or whatever screen saver you are using).

poneeboy
2006-09-16, 11:14
I would love to be able to use search (or lazy search) and have it find tracks in my rhapsody library (on my computer). Currently there is no way to search rhapsody tracks.

It would be a plus if the search could also search the internet rhapsody library as an option.

LogiSoft
2006-09-17, 14:39
Plugin for Windows Media Center Edition

Nostromo
2006-09-17, 14:45
What's the point of writing these suggestions here? Shouldn't we write bug reports instead, and ask for extra features? I think I'll write one for smart playlists. I don't think there is one.

funkstar
2006-09-18, 07:44
What's the point of writing these suggestions here?
Isn't it good to get a little discussion going? something we wouldn't have if we just filed feature requests in Bugzilla.

Nostromo
2006-09-18, 08:37
In that sense its useful, yes. And maybe you'll get some people to vote for your bug report. But, if understand correctly, nothing will be done by the developpers, unless we write bug reports.

autopilot
2006-09-18, 16:09
In that sense its useful, yes. And maybe you'll get some people to vote for your bug report. But, if understand correctly, nothing will be done by the developpers, unless we write bug reports.

I dont think thats true, Slim Devices do pay close attention to the forums. We are not really taking about bugs as such anyway. But yes, enhancement requests are best added to bugzilla, but we are just throwing ideas around. As said above, Bugzilla is not a discussion forum. The best ideas should be added to bugzilla though for sure.

thespaugh
2006-09-22, 09:04
If possible, I'd love for them to come up with a solution for Bug 259: Synchronization should use fine-grained network clock. I hate the drift between my 3 SBs during gapless music playback!

WSLam
2006-09-22, 09:14
A slick AJAX UI

bklaas
2006-09-22, 09:25
A slick AJAX UI

FWIW, I put loads of Ajax in Nokia770 and Touch skins, both available in 6.5. ExBrowse3 and Fishbone also have AJAX components in their interfaces.

Check out the 'Now Playing' page on Touch while listening to music and try out some of the controls. Playlist page is also AJAXed, as is the '1-by-1 artwork' page, which is unique to Nokia770 and Touch.

Constructive criticism welcome.

#!/ben

jeffluckett
2006-09-22, 10:05
Things I'd like to see:

1: A clean install process for upgraders. Quite a mess for those who are migrating from 6.3.x and lower to 6.5.

2: Stability, stability, stability.

3: Optimize the SQL currently in use. It seems there's lots of inefficient queries ... the web and SB interfaces and could be so much more responsive with some good SQL optimization.

4: Reduced resources footprint. It's beginning to look pretty fat for something called "Slim"Server.

5: Enhance the scanning process. There are lots of apps out there that monitor drive folders for changes without the intensive scanning process used by Slim (except for initial scan of course...). It'd be much nicer if SS would add music and playlists to my library on the fly as they're added to the directory.

6: Improve the scan process. Does it really need to take as long as it does?? MusicMagic scans my whole library in 1/4 the time SlimServer does ... seems there's room for improvement there. Probably relates to item #3 on some level.

7: Begin more thoroughly embracing AJAX on the web interface ... it's really getting dated with the old click/reload-the-whole-page-for-changes paradigm. ...especially with how long page loads can take sometimes.

Overall, I'd say that the server software has all the features 90% of users could want. It'd be good to focus on making those features as good as they can be before hanging on a bunch more fluff.

WSLam
2006-09-22, 10:13
FWIW, I put loads of Ajax in Nokia770 and Touch skins, both available in 6.5. ExBrowse3 and Fishbone also have AJAX components in their interfaces.

Check out the 'Now Playing' page on Touch while listening to music and try out some of the controls. Playlist page is also AJAXed, as is the '1-by-1 artwork' page, which is unique to Nokia770 and Touch.

#!/ben

Thanks! I will check them out!

Ben Sandee
2006-09-22, 10:18
On 9/22/06, jeffluckett <
jeffluckett.2ejq2n1158945001 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> 4: Reduced resources footprint. It's beginning to look pretty fat for
> something called "Slim"Server.

I think you're misunderstanding the name -- it's not the server that is
intended to be slim. It's the devices that are slim (as in, slim clients
driven by a more powerful server)...

Ben

pfarrell
2006-09-22, 10:33
jeffluckett wrote:
> 1: A clean install process for upgraders. Quite a mess for those who
> are migrating from 6.3.x and lower to 6.5.

What, exactly, do you mean?
Transparent upgrades are a serious challenge for all software, not just
SlimServer. The more you expect it to remember, the harder it gets. At
some point, it becomes impractical.

Seems to me that a reasonable list of things for the SlimServer to
remember across upgrades (IMHO) are
1) remember your library directory
2) remember your player names
3) remember choses skin

I personally don't care about plugins, some others may care more. At
some point, it may be too hard.

> 4: Reduced resources footprint. It's beginning to look pretty fat for
> something called "Slim"Server.

Its the server for a SlimDevice, the SqueezeBox.
I don't see any reason to worry about it, an old obsolte PC runs it
perfectly. Mine has been up
13:30:13 up 460 days, 41 min, 2 users, load average: 0.07, 0.13, 0.09

> 7: Begin more thoroughly embracing AJAX on the web interface ...

I probably have to add AJAX on the interface to what I do for a living,
and I am terrified. Doing it properly for lots of OS and browser
combinations looks extremely hard. Just testing all the combinations is
going to take many weeks if not many months.

AJAX is cool, but the tools to support it professionally are seriously
lacking. IMHO, YMMV, etc.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

jeffluckett
2006-09-22, 11:19
What, exactly, do you mean?
Transparent upgrades are a serious challenge for all software, not just
SlimServer. The more you expect it to remember, the harder it gets. At
some point, it becomes impractical.

Seems to me that a reasonable list of things for the SlimServer to
remember across upgrades (IMHO) are
1) remember your library directory
2) remember your player names
3) remember choses skin

I personally don't care about plugins, some others may care more. At
some point, it may be too hard.

I mean to upgrade without leaving stuff behind that causes it to crash. There are currently no shortage of active threads talking about how the 6.3 plugins, and the default2 skin that get left in place during upgrade are causing issues. By and large, when I upgrade software it works, and is not hampered by the fact that an earlier version had been installed.

Its the server for a SlimDevice, the SqueezeBox.
I don't see any reason to worry about it, an old obsolte PC runs it
perfectly. Mine has been up
13:30:13 up 460 days, 41 min, 2 users, load average: 0.07, 0.13, 0.09

I run it on a dedicated box with an 800mhz processor, win2k3 and 512MB RAM. When the scanner is running, navigating the web interface is painful, and my SB's interface gets laggy. I'm not at home right now, so I can't quote any numbers, but I do remember being rather astonished at the size of the memory footprint of both the scanner and slim.exe itself.

They also want this to run on NAS devices, which are pretty limited on proc. and memory resources...

I probably have to add AJAX on the interface to what I do for a living,
and I am terrified. Doing it properly for lots of OS and browser
combinations looks extremely hard. Just testing all the combinations is
going to take many weeks if not many months.

AJAX is cool, but the tools to support it professionally are seriously
lacking. IMHO, YMMV, etc.

No, it's not that hard. I'm a programmer as well (8 years in the biz), and have been doing AJAX for about a year or so. Compatibility is not an issue, there's just MS vs. EVERYONE ELSE on exactly how you call up the XMLHttpRequest object, but it's pretty easy to pick the right way via object detection ... or just use one of the many and useful AJAX libraries out there. I think I remember seeing that Fishbone uses Prototype.js ... but I could be mistaken. The DHTML can be a little more tricky, but if you don't try and get too fancy it's not really too bad either. And for SlimServer, you don't have to worry AS MUCH as you do about programming for the 'net because if someone doesn't have a "modern browser", they could easily choose one of the older skins. However, we're a pretty techie crowd here for the most part ... you'll find wide compatibility for most of the JavaScript you'd try and do.

As for debugging tools, pretty much using the FireBug extension in Firefox is all I've ever needed, and then standard debugging techniques from there. It's not as hard as you think, but you have to stop thinking the way you used to in regards to how web-apps are supposed to work.

Now, you're going to say, "if your such a fantabluous programmer why don't you contribute to the project."

Fair jab. I have two reasons:
1. I typically do a 50 hour week at the office. I also have a wife and child ... and I do a little freelance work too. By the time I finish programming for money, I just want to Listen to my SB, talk to my wife and play with my baby. As much as I'd like to contribute, I frankly don't have the time.

2. Perl. I hate it. Makes my head hurt.

funkstar
2006-09-22, 13:07
5: Enhance the scanning process. There are lots of apps out there that monitor drive folders for changes without the intensive scanning process used by Slim (except for initial scan of course...). It'd be much nicer if SS would add music and playlists to my library on the fly as they're added to the directory.
Pretty sure there would be cross platform issues with this, but there may be ways round that.

6: Improve the scan process. Does it really need to take as long as it does?? MusicMagic scans my whole library in 1/4 the time SlimServer does ... seems there's room for improvement there. Probably relates to item #3 on some level.
One of the SlimDevices guys (i think it was Dean) stated in the past that right now they haven't done a huge amount of optimisation on the SQL queries for scanning. As they were moving to MySQL in 6.5 i think they just wanted it to work reliably before they spend time on optimising and tweaking. I would expect to see a speed improvement in future versions as the Devs get more used to what MySQL can really do for them :)

gsalton
2006-09-22, 14:32
I'd love it if future versions could update the playcount in iTunes, since I manage many of my playlists based on how often I've listened to a particular track. Should just be a matter of updating the iTunes database.

ceejay
2006-09-22, 14:44
I'd love it if future versions could update the playcount in iTunes, since I manage many of my playlists based on how often I've listened to a particular track. Should just be a matter of updating the iTunes database.

have you tried James' itunesupdate plugin?

http://www.jamescraig.co.uk/SlimServer/index.html

Ceejay

jeffluckett
2006-09-22, 17:27
Pretty sure there would be cross platform issues with this, but there may be ways round that.

I'm sure it would not be without some difficulty, or I'm sure it'd have been implemented by now.

It seems one of the more recurrent complaints is grumbling about the scanning process. I ESPECIALLY hate the "dump and rescan" option. :(

One of the SlimDevices guys (i think it was Dean) stated in the past that right now they haven't done a huge amount of optimisation on the SQL queries for scanning. As they were moving to MySQL in 6.5 i think they just wanted it to work reliably before they spend time on optimising and tweaking. I would expect to see a speed improvement in future versions as the Devs get more used to what MySQL can really do for them :)

Agreed ... that's why I was putting in the 7.0 wish list. I've worked with SQLite before, and am aware of the limitations, and the sometimes screwy queries that you have to write for it.

Glad to hear that query optimization is on the TODO list now that a more capable database engine is in place.

gsalton
2006-09-22, 21:48
have you tried James' itunesupdate plugin?

http://www.jamescraig.co.uk/SlimServer/index.html

Ceejay

Thanks! I'm trying to install it now. That said, installation seems more complex than it could be - which might indicate that including in 7.0 would still be useful.

I'm really hoping this works as is, though.

oreillymj
2006-09-24, 03:39
I'd like each SB to support the idea of perhaps 4 playlists, A,B,C,D where the selected playlist A, moves to slot B, B moves to C etc when you make a new selection.

So say you're listening to Random mix and a good song comes on. You want to check out something by that artist so you browse to the artist/album/track and press play. Currently you go out of Random mix mode and create a new playlist.

I'd like to retain my Random mix playlist and be able to switch back to it, if I want to.
The idea is similar to the "Tabs" in Firefox. how it could be implemented with the current remote is a bit of a problem.

I also reckon that retaining the last 4 playlist selections would be the most required as it might otherwise just become confusing.

joncourage
2006-09-24, 11:03
One-button, automated backup/export of all configurable settings/preferences.

(Sorry if this was already mentioned or is an existing feature I'm not aware of.)

ModelCitizen
2006-09-24, 11:13
One-button, automated backup/export of all configurable settings/preferences.
yes this is a good one. It took me quite a while to work out which files/directories I had to save so I did not have to reconfigure SlimServer each time I upgraded to another nightly.

But still for me the main bugbear is the scanner. If I change a playlist (in a third party app like Foobar or Winamp) and want to hear it instantly (a pretty common occurence) I should not have to scan my whole music directory. This is particularly irksome when I add just one file that already exists in my library to a playlist. In this case I can see no need for SlimServer to require any sort of scan for the music files, but instead I've got an hours worth of scan ahead of me before I can hear the playlist!
MC

RainmanRam
2006-09-24, 11:18
The cycling of screen savers, for example, I'd like to have RSS feeds as well as other non-rss feeds cycled (currently playing, stock quotes, etc).

Wombat
2006-09-24, 11:49
I´d like to be able to add more than only one music folder.

mherger
2006-09-24, 11:59
> I´d like to be able to add more than only one music folder.

Just put a link/shortcut to the second folder into the first one.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

Wombat
2006-09-24, 12:36

--

Michael

:) That easy! Thanks

Nostromo
2006-09-24, 14:43
- A small request. I would like to have a progress report when SS scans my music folder. It doesn't have to be graphical, a percentage would suffice. 5%, 15%...100% Done!

- I'm not sure its a priority one issue, but the "up" and "down" arrows have to disappear. The ideal replacement would be implementing drag & drop. But if that's too difficult, why not use the numerical ordering they use at Netflix. It would be a lot better than the arrows.

Here's an example:

1. Song A
2. Song B
3. Song D
4. Song C

Suppose you want to put song C between B and D, you just type in 3 on the left of song C. Voilà!

Again, I'm not sure its a huge problem, since I'm not sure that many people use SlimServer to create playlists.

badbob
2006-09-24, 15:53
Built in sub-branch managment of database (A, B, C) then artists beginning with those letters under it.

Less memory usage on slimserver (currently 60MB)

Marc Sherman
2006-09-25, 04:44
oreillymj wrote:
> I'd like each SB to support the idea of perhaps 4 playlists, A,B,C,D
> where the selected playlist A, moves to slot B, B moves to C etc when
> you make a new selection.
>
> I also reckon that retaining the last 4 playlist selections would be
> the most required as it might otherwise just become confusing.

It would probably be better to phrase that as a request for a playlist
stack. In general, two of something is reasonable, but once you start
requesting more than 2, you almost always want a dynamically growing
list rather than a fixed amount. Perhaps with a configurable cap size.

- Marc

MikeGilpin
2006-09-25, 13:10
>> I would like a way to customize your library by player. I have a SLIMP3
>> in my son's room and a Squeezebox in the living room. There are certain
>> tracks I don't want available to my son.
>>
>Interesting idea... as a variation on the theme, why not arrange for
>this data to be stored in some tag or other in the music files?

Dads persona could include Dads music folder and shared.
Son's persona could include Son's music folder and shared.

Son's Squeezebox could be configured to use Son's persona, so would use Son's music library.
Living room Squeezebox could be configured to use Dad's persona.

Optionally, perhaps a persona could be configured with a password to restrict access.
Optionally, perhaps restrict persona's to specific players.

I think this kind of support is so versatile, it could fit in with many different user requirements.

Phil

In our house the issue is not so much personas, as the different kinds of music we play depending on who is around - since we have varying tastes. My 23 year old daughter and I have very similar tastes which are very broad and eclectic - which we meet with two playlists, one with lots of jazz on it, the other without (but all the rock, soul, R&B, alt-folk, and such still there).

Then when my wife is around, we switch to a much more limited playlist without anything she finds "raucous" (about 50% of what I like!). And then there are the classical, dinner-music, music-to-study-by, and Broadway musical playlists (which we generally play shuffled by album instead of song).

The problem: each time we switch between these various lists, SlimServer "forgets" where it was before, when we later come back to the same list.

So it would be great to have a "Remember state" option to turn on for each list, so that when you switch away to a different list, it would automatically save that list in its current exact state - shuffle order, what's already been played, etc. - so when you switch back to it later (when my wife leaves!) you're back where you were before.

That would mean you wouldn't have to listen to the same song again the same day just because you switched out of the list and back in again, which today causes a full reshuffle and loss of state.

It's not that I mind hearing certain things twice - a little Miles is nice - but to hear Carpenters' "Only Yesterday" more than once in a week is a tad much to take...

MikeGilpin
2006-09-25, 13:13
- A small request. I would like to have a progress report when SS scans my music folder. It doesn't have to be graphical, a percentage would suffice. 5%, 15%...100% Done!

- I'm not sure its a priority one issue, but the "up" and "down" arrows have to disappear. The ideal replacement would be implementing drag & drop. But if that's too difficult, why not use the numerical ordering they use at Netflix. It would be a lot better than the arrows.

Here's an example:

1. Song A
2. Song B
3. Song D
4. Song C

Suppose you want to put song C between B and D, you just type in 3 on the left of song C. Voilà!

Again, I'm not sure its a huge problem, since I'm not sure that many people use SlimServer to create playlists.

Yes to both! Yet another example of Netflix as good example of Web UI.

MikeGilpin
2006-09-25, 13:16
I'd like each SB to support the idea of perhaps 4 playlists, A,B,C,D where the selected playlist A, moves to slot B, B moves to C etc when you make a new selection.

So say you're listening to Random mix and a good song comes on. You want to check out something by that artist so you browse to the artist/album/track and press play. Currently you go out of Random mix mode and create a new playlist.

I'd like to retain my Random mix playlist and be able to switch back to it, if I want to.
The idea is similar to the "Tabs" in Firefox. how it could be implemented with the current remote is a bit of a problem.

I also reckon that retaining the last 4 playlist selections would be the most required as it might otherwise just become confusing.

Michael, you and I have corresponded about this one before. I think we're both trying to solve the same problem. Note the "stateful playlist" idea I just posted. Would something like that address your requirements?

MikeGilpin
2006-09-25, 13:20

#!/ben

And these skins are a thing of beauty!

yjv
2006-09-26, 23:04
I would love to be able to manage/control the SlimServer/SqueezeNetwork via the MCE 2005 GUI

funkstar
2006-09-27, 01:34
I would love to be able to manage/control the SlimServer/SqueezeNetwork via the MCE 2005 GUI
Rerally thats an MCE plugin rather than a SS v7 feature, i know what you mean though. I'd like to write a plugin for MediaPortal (open source MCE alternative) but don't have the time of the skills right now. Seems a shame to have a great music server platform in the shape of SS and have to have a second database for MediaPortals MyMusic too.

Ah well, perhaps one day...

gorman
2006-09-27, 01:38

-- True, but definitely less than ideal. I know of no other program that works this way. It's counterintuitive for the grand majority of users. And it ought to be simple to "fix" (at least offering the option of going both ways).

funkstar
2006-09-27, 01:50
the ability to have multiple library folders would cut down on the number of people asking if it is possible and would make it easier for the NAS systems out there too. I know there has been a lot of discussion in the Qnap threads about symlinks/shortcuts as there isn't an easy way to set these up at the moment.

jeffluckett
2006-09-27, 04:28
the ability to have multiple library folders would cut down on the number of people asking if it is possible and would make it easier for the NAS systems out there too. I know there has been a lot of discussion in the Qnap threads about symlinks/shortcuts as there isn't an easy way to set these up at the moment.

I really don't see why it is so hard to incorporate this functionality. Wouldn't it be a simple matter of keeping a list of PATH_TO_MUSIC_FOLDERS in the database, or in the config file ... the scanner just iterates through the list as it completes the scanning process until it's out of paths...

Another benefit of this is that you can then build functionality around this like segregated music libraries (Wife's stuff, My Stuff, Party Stuff, whatever...), without having to go through the trouble of tagging all your songs in some way to help you identify them, or going through the trouble of making playlists of all the songs your wife likes, etc...

You can envision having the UI incorporate some functionality like, "Play only songs from drive X:\" or, "Click to select folders to include in the playlist", etc...

Jerryacg
2006-09-27, 05:01
I really don't see why it is so hard to incorporate this functionality. Wouldn't it be a simple matter of keeping a list of PATH_TO_MUSIC_FOLDERS in the database, or in the config file ... the scanner just iterates through the list as it completes the scanning process until it's out of paths...

Another benefit of this is that you can then build functionality around this like segregated music libraries (Wife's stuff, My Stuff, Party Stuff, whatever...), without having to go through the trouble of tagging all your songs in some way to help you identify them, or going through the trouble of making playlists of all the songs your wife likes, etc...

You can envision having the UI incorporate some functionality like, "Play only songs from drive X:\" or, "Click to select folders to include in the playlist", etc...

Regarding QNAP(TS101)The ability to exist in any form with SS7 would be good.It would appear that 6.5 does not.Discs not spinning down, web user interface becoming all but useless.So all suggestions for features for R7/Qnap maybecome irrelevant.

GrahameP
2006-09-27, 06:29
I'd like to see: -

> Playlists per device
> Improvements in list management (drag & drop would be nice if it can be implemented cross-platform)
> Speed improvements in the web interface (6.5 seems to be slower here)
> Consistent use of tags for displaying song / album information, perhaps a configured fallback of using less favoured methods if the better method isn't available.
> Option to use FLAC over MP3 if same track name in same folder (perhaps configurable filetype preferences)

Cheers,
Grahame.

random_tox
2006-10-25, 21:17
Smart playlists? Hell I’d be happy with some decent dumb playlist features! ;-) I can’t believe how long it has taken to get playlists just to function without the duplicate tracks bug. Simple yet refined track selection should be a top priority for Slim Devices.

How about sort by song title? Or by any tagged criteria? Is this not obvious? The ‘current playlist’ pane should have custom columns, and if not multiple sort criteria (clutter), at least non-destructive sorting. (Is this in a skin I don’t know about?)

I’d care less about playlists if there were better search features. I want to be able to play all CDs on a recording label, or all song remixed by an artist, or all compilation appearances by an artist. Takes just a minute to add the data tags, but a long time to build/maintain playlists. All tagged criteria that should be added to search options.

What would really be a smart playlist is one that figures out when you’ve moved a track file. Instead of .m3u playlists based on filename/location have a playlist format that is based on the tags, that can go find your selections even if you move them, or correct a one of the tags. Save the user much redundant manual input and maintenance.

The database could stand to be a bit smarter about changed tracks. Dump and rebuild every time I move a track file… Should be a better way.

New music should (optionally) be based on file creation rather than file modified. A five year old file that gets re-tagged moves to the new music results ahead of the new CD entered the day before.

The ‘delete file’ feature (fondly referred to as the ‘shit list’) is one of the only features I miss on my old Sony changers. Add a file to the shit list and the player skipped it unless you deliberately selected it.

(This one sounds tricky so I won’t demand it.) Dynamic random crossfade: Crossfade only when random play is active. Detect when a track is mixed to the next in the album recording and let them play together before skipping to the next randomly selected track. Perhaps this could be assisted with tagging.

This is just a few features buggin me today.

azinck3
2006-10-25, 21:36
The ‘delete file’ feature (fondly referred to as the ‘shit list’) is one of the only features I miss on my old Sony changers. Add a file to the shit list and the player skipped it unless you deliberately selected it.

This exists in the form of the "zapped files" playlist. While a song is playing press and hold "add" and it will be added to "zapped". You can then go and remove the track, or you could use the "skipped zapped songs" plugin to never hear those tracks again (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=23175).

(This one sounds tricky so I won’t demand it.) Dynamic random crossfade: Crossfade only when random play is active. Detect when a track is mixed to the next in the album recording and let them play together before skipping to the next randomly selected track. Perhaps this could be assisted with tagging.

This functionality is provided by the dynamic crossfade plugin (http://www.sutula.us/james/slimserver/).

There are some great plugins out there...you should take a look through them. You might be surprised by what you find! That's one of the things I love about the squeezebox.

ceejay
2006-10-26, 00:17
How about sort by song title? Or by any tagged criteria? Is this not obvious? The ‘current playlist’ pane should have custom columns, and if not multiple sort criteria (clutter), at least non-destructive sorting. (Is this in a skin I don’t know about?)

I’d care less about playlists if there were better search features. I want to be able to play all CDs on a recording label, or all song remixed by an artist, or all compilation appearances by an artist. Takes just a minute to add the data tags, but a long time to build/maintain playlists. All tagged criteria that should be added to search options.

... and you should also check out erland's plugins to see if they help - you can certainly do a lot with them! http://erland.homeip.net/download/

As for your other requests, it sounds like you should be having a look in bugzilla: if you can find an enhancement request that already exists and is close to what you want, vote for it and if necessary add a comment to clarify what you would like to see from it. For example, http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2700 might address your need for more search options.

If you can't find one that matches your need, and you are able to describe clearly what you want and why, submit a new one! Its painless and gives you the best chance of getting what you want...

Ceejay

random_tox
2006-10-26, 11:58
Thanks for the tips Ceejay. I'll look into your suggestions. Still would be nice for these features to appear in a SS release.

Nostromo
2006-10-26, 13:59

Smart playlists are my no.1 request. One way of doing it would be to use the advanced search function and beefing it up a bit. Being able to search by rating would be nice, for example. Being able to save your searches and give them a name would also be very convenient.Those searches would act just like iTunes smart playlists.

Pale Blue Ego
2006-10-26, 20:42
- rescan a subset of the library. This shouldn't be too hard to do - Browse Music Folder and Rescan From Here (keeping the rest of the database intact).

- built-in ratings system. Now that you've got a proper database, things like ratings, last played time, date added, etc. should be implemented. The hard part is keeping this info accurate if the filename or file location changes.

- it would also be nice to have some kind of playlist fixer. A web interface where you could call up a playlist and slimserver would list any missing or broken tracks, and ask you to specify where to find them.

- another vote for a better web GUI

stinkingpig
2006-10-26, 21:49
....> (This one sounds tricky so I won't demand it.) Dynamic random
> crossfade: Crossfade only when random play is active. Detect when a
> track is mixed to the next in the album recording and let them play
> together before skipping to the next randomly selected track. Perhaps
> this could be assisted with tagging.
>

Dynamic Transitions Plugin does this, though I'm not sure if it has
been updated for 6.5 yet.
--

Yannzola
2006-10-26, 23:20
Automatically-generated playlists, such as is done in Windows Media Player. This has already been entered as a feature request (bug 380), but has been put off (target milestone=future).

The playlists would be constantly updated, and would contain such lists as:

- Songs/albums/artists you play late at night.
- Songs/albums/artists you play on weekend nights.
- Songs/albums/artists you play on Sunday mornings.
- Songs/albums/artists you play during dinnertime.
- Last 25 songs/albums/artists you played.
- Overall most played songs/albums/artists.

And anything else you can think of that would be worth generating automatically.

I beleive that Erlands suite of plugins can do this now (Trackstat + Dymanic Playlists)... but I coould be wrong.

Yannzola
2006-10-26, 23:34
1. Freeform search function- I'm not sure if that's a server function or firmware for the box (or both).

2. Better FF/RW ability. That's one thing I really miss when moving from CDs.

3. Recover more gracefully from wireless issues. When the buffer runs out, the player just stutters until my microwave or phone stops messing with the wireless- sometimes it takes quite a while. If I just pause playback, then it plays well for quite a while before hiccuping again. I have an 802.11g router on the way...

4. Better handling of classical music.

I'd have to agree with all of the above. But above all +stability+. My wife will no longer use the Squeezebox because of all the intermittent crashes, odd behavior, etc.

glem01
2006-10-27, 04:09
After using the SB3 for some weeks with a little NAS (Synology DS-106), I'd like to see:
- separation of the SlimServer engine itself and the database/music archive administration; this way the footprint of the "SS-kernel" could be very small and compact
- also, (optional) logical separation of the radio stations and radio favourites from the music archive/database.
- update of the SB3-firmware to natively support UpNP
- possibility to only run the SS-kernel with radio stations, while streaming music e.g. through UpNP (switching off the SS music database and streaming engine).
- and when using the SS-database catalogue anyway, better support of classical music
- better fast-forward and fast-back function inside one music file, also on the player web-interface (right panel)

Thats just how I'd use my SB3; I don't really need a huge catalogue application for my music, having the following simple folder structure: Genre (about two dozens, including many classical-specifics) -> Artist/Composer -> Album/Interpreter -> CD1..X (optional) -> Song Title (classical: Piece and Tempo)

mherger
2006-10-27, 04:34
> - separation of the SlimServer engine itself and the database/music

Please define "SlimServer engine". The DB backend is already separated, as
is the scanner.

> - possibility to only run the SS-kernel with radio stations, while
> streaming music e.g. through UpNP (switching off the SS music database
> and streaming engine).

No need for UPnP, you can use SqueezeNetwork to achieve this, don't you?

> - and when using the SS-database catalogue anyway, better support of
> classical music
> - better fast-forward and fast-back function inside one music file,
> also on the player web-interface (right panel)

What's improvements would you like to see? "Better" is rather vague.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

glem01
2006-10-27, 05:11
> Please define "SlimServer engine". The DB backend is already separated, as
> is the scanner.
> ...
> No need for UPnP, you can use SqueezeNetwork to achieve this, don't you?

OK. Let's formulate it this way: I'd like kind of a local Squeezenetwork, just for the radio station presets and the alarms, and being able to interface with AlienBBC. (BTW I dont' like putting more ore less personal data on a remote server if there is no really a need for it - and that's not the case here, there is no added value for me, only for slimdevices/logitech I suppose).

Having this simple local squeezenetwork, I'd need upnp on the SB3 itself for getting my local music archive played just by browsing it; I already use twonky mediaserver for my other box (Roku Soundbridge radio) this way.

> What's improvements would you like to see? "Better" is rather vague.

Well, navigation inside a track is not really good, isn't it? I never got it to fast forward in bigger steps (maybe there is some plugin for this), I can't set repeats or marks inside a track (or I am wrong?)...

Greetings, manuel

Spoiled
2006-10-30, 22:17
Just got an SB3 running wireless on my Imac. I am very impressed - works nicely.
I had a cd3o player previously which was an excellent device (possibly better acoustically) but it died, so I decided to try this.
The track search on the cd3o was better - required only keying in of the song title letters until all possiblilities except the desired song were eliminated - then press play. Eg - No need to press the 7 key four times to get 'S'. cd30 tracked every combination of letters until only one was left. It was very easy.
Will SB3 do this?

radish
2006-10-30, 22:31
The track search on the cd3o was better - required only keying in of the song title letters until all possiblilities except the desired song were eliminated - then press play. Eg - No need to press the 7 key four times to get 'S'. cd30 tracked every combination of letters until only one was left. It was very easy.
Will SB3 do this?

http://hickinbottom.demon.co.uk/lazysearch

radish
2006-10-30, 22:35
OK. Let's formulate it this way: I'd like kind of a local Squeezenetwork, just for the radio station presets and the alarms, and being able to interface with AlienBBC. (BTW I dont' like putting more ore less personal data on a remote server if there is no really a need for it - and that's not the case here, there is no added value for me, only for slimdevices/logitech I suppose).

Squeezenetwork isn't some great conspiracy. It's there to allow people to listen to radio without having a server running. If you have a server running, you don't need squeezenetwork. So don't use it. I don't understand what you have against running slimserver.

Having this simple local squeezenetwork, I'd need upnp on the SB3 itself for getting my local music archive played just by browsing it; I already use twonky mediaserver for my other box (Roku Soundbridge radio) this way.

Don't expect to see upnp support in the SB firmware, it's really unlikely for a number of reasons. So you run Twonky, what's the problem with running SS as well?

stinkingpig
2006-10-30, 22:51
On 10/30/06, Spoiled
<Spoiled.2gj17b1162272001 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> Just got an SB3 running wireless on my Imac. I am very impressed -
> works nicely.
> I had a cd3o player previously which was an excellent device (possibly
> better acoustically) but it died, so I decided to try this.
> The track search on the cd3o was better - required only keying in of
> the song title letters until all possiblilities except the desired song
> were eliminated - then press play. Eg - No need to press the 7 key four
> times to get 'S'. cd30 tracked every combination of letters until only
> one was left. It was very easy.
> Will SB3 do this?
>

Look into the Lazy Search plugin.
--

Nostromo
2006-10-31, 00:41
I suggested earlier to beef-up the search function. To add, among other things:

- Search by rating
- Ability to save searches

For example, suppose you search for all your chillout songs rated 3 stars and more. You can then save that search and call it, for example, "chillout (best of)"

That way, it could easily be as flexible and as intuitive as iTunes smartplaylists.

It seems to me that it wouldn't be too hard to implement. What do you think?

ceejay
2006-10-31, 00:44
I suggested earlier to beef-up the search function. To add, among other things:

- Search by rating
- Ability to save searches

For example, suppose you search for all your chillout songs rated 3 stars and more. You can then save that search and call it, for example, "chillout (best of)"

That way, it could easily be as flexible and as intuitive as iTunes smartplaylists.

Look into erland's plugins!

Ceejay

Nostromo
2006-10-31, 00:53
Yeah, I tried them. Erland did some great work. But unless you know how to write SQL queries, dynamic playlists are not as powerful, flexible or intuitive as iTunes playlists. If you can't make SQL queries, you're stuck with the templates that come with the plugin.
For example, if you want to use the "comments" tag, you can't do it with the templates.

Sike
2006-10-31, 02:50
Multiple Libraries would be a great plus!

Also a possibility to attach a SB remotly without having to use a 3rd party tunneling software. Just open 1 port on the router and have some decent access restrictions.

Tarn
2006-10-31, 08:24
Better integration between SlimServer and SqueezeNetwork so that you can switch back to SlimServer from the SqueezeNetwork web page.

I control my squeezebox(es) from the web interface. Using the web interface I can switch a squeezebox to SqueezeNetwork, but the SqueezeNetwork web page does not then allow me to switch the SqueezeBox back to SlimServer control.

Best would be if when SlimServer web interface navigated you to the SqueezeNetwork page it stored your currently navigated web address and squeezebox in a cookie (I'm browsing to SlimServer on another computer). That way when you tell the SqueezeNetwork page "go back to slimserver" it could switch the appropriate squeezebox back to SlimServer, and navigate the browser to the appropriate SlimServer page.

Mark Lanctot
2006-10-31, 08:58
I control my squeezebox(es) from the web interface. Using the web interface I can switch a squeezebox to SqueezeNetwork, but the SqueezeNetwork web page does not then allow me to switch the SqueezeBox back to SlimServer control.

It's in Players - Settings - Disconnect <player name> from SqueezeNetwork at the top of the page.

ajmitchell
2006-10-31, 09:22
I like the ideas so far some I'd never thought of but definately useful. Heres some summarised plus more.........

OPERATION
Smart playlists (as mentioned)
Multiple libraries and possibly scope for multiple users (as mentioned)
Crossfade up to 15seconds (see thread)
Smart crossfade according to volume of track
Crossfade and Sync at the same time (for parties) [already abug but has been one for a year]
Better synch that doesnt unsync!
Lazy search as standard (as mentioned)
Add without re-scan (as mentioned)
Synch with itunes (Followitunes) => links to what is playing on the hosts itunes
Update to itunes automatically (without need to install plugin)

INTERFACE
Slicker browser options (as mentioned)
Multiple delete (as mentioned)
Better dynamic listing (seems to get out of syn with what is playing easily)
Better (or different) spectrum analyser displays
Small font display on the SB3 that shows current song in medium and upcoming in small (has nno one thought of this before)

SETUP
Clearer explanation of problem if stuttering or no connection
OR Autodiagnose & report upon stutter

Tarn
2006-10-31, 13:57
It's in Players - Settings - Disconnect <player name> from SqueezeNetwork at the top of the page.

Yes this will disconnect that player from the SqueezeNetwork.

However,

1. It's three levels down -- it should be at the Player level in the list, right next to each player.

2. It doesn't cause your browser to go back to your SlimServer, if no more players are connected to SqueezeNetwork, so you have to choose SlimServer from your favorites to get back.

These are really just annoyances, not blockers, but they're annoying every day -- so making it a little smoother would be great.

Nostromo
2006-10-31, 16:50
I wonder if Slimdevices is still working on Slimserver or if everything's on hold since the Logitech acquisition. And is Dan Sully still the main man?

kdf
2006-10-31, 17:01
Quoting Nostromo <Nostromo.2gkgtn1162338901 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> I wonder if Slimdevices is still working on Slimserver or if
> everything's on hold since the Logitech acquisition. And is Dan Sully
> still the main man?

yes, no, and yes.
http://cia.navi.cx/stats/project/SlimServer
-k

snarlydwarf
2006-10-31, 17:04
I wonder if Slimdevices is still working on Slimserver or if everything's on hold since the Logitech acquisition. And is Dan Sully still the main man?

Why wonder? Wouldnt it be easier to actually read the posts? Like the one where Dan said that 7.0 was going into some major-changes and expect lots of breakage for a while as he is making some serious changes?

That would mean that a) Slimdevices is still working on Slimserver, b) Dan, specifically, is, and that c) that work involves more than minor tweaks, but some big structural changes that will need a while to shake bugs out of from the dev tree.

Nostromo
2006-10-31, 18:27
Why wonder? Wouldnt it be easier to actually read the posts? Like the one where Dan said that 7.0 was going into some major-changes and expect lots of breakage for a while as he is making some serious changes?

Your handle suits you well... ;) Any link? I missed that post.

snarlydwarf
2006-10-31, 20:41
Your handle suits you well... ;) Any link? I missed that post.

Look on the Developer forum. It isn't hard to find.

erland
2006-10-31, 22:11
Yeah, I tried them. Erland did some great work. But unless you know how to write SQL queries, dynamic playlists are not as powerful, flexible or intuitive as iTunes playlists. If you can't make SQL queries, you're stuck with the templates that come with the plugin.
For example, if you want to use the "comments" tag, you can't do it with the templates.Well, actually in the latest version of SQLPlayList there is templates available which use the COMMENT tag.
But I'm still with you on your main point. I think you should see my plugins as a temporary solution until real support for smart playlists are available in slimserver. SQL is good for the really advanced user, but there are a number of reasons why SQL should not be the language of the real smart playlist solution:
1. The language is to advanced for most users
2. When slimserver is upgraded the playlists might stop work due to changes in the database structure between releases. The obvious problem here is of course to handle the support when releasing a new slimserver version.

Nostromo
2006-10-31, 23:21
Well, actually in the latest version of SQLPlayList there is templates available which use the COMMENT tag.

Great news! Since I installed 6.5, I didn't install any plugin. I'll try it out as soon as possible.

CosyCat
2006-11-01, 07:11
In settings/SB you can set brightness level for different times.

ex. like this

time brightness(clock)
6-9 brightness 2
9-12 brightness 3
12-6 brightness 5

blui
2006-11-01, 16:38
I would like to be able to set different language for each device independently. For example, I would like to be able to set the SB device in the living room to use Chinese, but set the one at work to display English.
I believe SS 6.5 can only do global setting. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.
Thanks.........

SundarNagarajan
2006-11-02, 15:35
I have been meaning to request these features for some time now, but didn't. Slimserver 7 would be a good opportunity.

A. Option to automatically traverse folders when playing using 'Browse Music folder'.

Consider I have music organized in directories by Artist, with each album by that artist in a directory within the Artist directory and individual tracks being files within the Album directory. Consider 3 Artists P1, P2, P3. P1 has two albums A1, A2. P2 has three albums A3, A4, A5. Album A1 has Tracks T1 through T10, A2 has tracks T11 through T15, A3 has tracks T16 through T25.
Use case 1: If I browse (Browse music folder) to Album A1, and play Track T8, once T8 has been played, Slimserver will play T9 and T10. And then STOP (assuming no repeat setting is in force). What I would like is an option where, Slimserver will "move up one folder" and descend into the next (lexicographically) folder and play the Tracks in that folder. Thus, after Track T10, it should play T11 in Album A2.
Use case 2: This is an extension of Use case 1. After Slimserver finishes playing T15 in Album A2, it should move up one folder, "discover" that Album A2 is (lexicographically) the last directory under Artist P1, move up one more folder, and descend into the P2 albums A3, A4, A5 in lexicographical order and continue in this way.

B. Have an option to specify which folder hierarchies should be scanned and indexed in the Tag database (Artists, Albums etc). I have a bunch of files organized in some way using directories, but the files contain either inaccurate or meaningless tags and I do not want these tags to be scanned and "pollute" the tag database.

Mister-E
2006-11-02, 18:26
Forget about all this "smart" playlist stuff. How about some friggin' BASIC playlist management? Slimserver's support for playlist management is horrible, virtually non-existent.

In the web interface, what I'd like to see is better integration between the "active" playlist on the right, and the library view on the left. For example, if Artist X/Album A is in the playlist on the right, this fact should be reflected (via tiny little yes/no indicators) in the library view on the left.

Why do software designers think that looking at a linear playlist of hundreds or thousands of songs is helpful? How am I supposed to know what's in that playlist, especially if it's shuffled? How can I know what's "missing", so I can go back and add it? How can I easily delete artists or albums from the playlist -- since I don't know what's in it to begin with? What the heck are you keeping a friggin' SQL database of music FOR, if not to make chores like Playlist Management easier?

Slimserver is hardly alone in this deficiency. The only software I know that does a halfway decent job of playlist management is Muzicman. In every other software, you're better off just deleting your old playlists and building a new one from scratch, since you can't tell what was in the old playlist, nor modify it easily.

And let's not even talk about Slimserver's laughably slow response times when doing anything playlist-related.

Someday, somebody's going to wake up and realize that Playlist Management is crucial, and as music libraries grow to 1000's of songs, it's even more crucial. Frankly, I'll go with whatever system provides the best playlist management, period. It's that important to me. Slimserver sucks at it, and their only saving grace is that, right now, everyone else does, too. Whoever wakes up first, and creates a USABLE playlist management system, will TAKE THE WORLD BY STORM.

Nostromo
2006-11-02, 20:47
I use smartplaylists a lot more than standard playlists, but I agree with you. They really need to improve the web interface, or drop it. Drag & drop would be a bare minimum, but it seems to be really hard to implement in a web interface. The Slimserver interface should be as good or better than the iTunes interface, IMO.

I haven't tried Moose (the Windows interface for Slimserver) yet, have you?

How am I supposed to know what's in that playlist, especially if it's shuffled?

Turn off shuffle when you edit your playlist. When you're done, turn shuffle back on again.

radish
2006-11-02, 22:00
Someday, somebody's going to wake up and realize that Playlist Management is crucial, and as music libraries grow to 1000's of songs, it's even more crucial.
Don't make the mistake of assuming that what's important/true for you is universally important to everyone else. I have 980 albums, 12500 tracks, and 0 playlists. It's not because they're hard to create, it's because I don't want any. While I'd be perfectly happy to see improvements in the slimserver list management functions, I personally consider it far from essential.

Just an alternative POV :)

rumeo
2006-11-03, 22:06
1) Automatically generated playlists like Pinnacle SC has or even better in iTunes: you may listen what you have never listen or not in the past 6 month or what you have declared as best rated etc.

2) Full UPnP Support for any device on the market, so you cannot only connect SD anymore

Nostromo
2006-11-03, 23:16
Don't make the mistake of assuming that what's important/true for you is universally important to everyone else. I have 980 albums, 12500 tracks, and 0 playlists. It's not because they're hard to create, it's because I don't want any. While I'd be perfectly happy to see improvements in the slimserver list management functions, I personally consider it far from essential.

My guess is that you're in a small minority. Most people use playlists.

Decent playlist and smart playlist management are, IMO, basic features I expect from any music player, whether its iTunes, Windows media player or Slimserver. And Slimserver is a subpar app, on that score.

stinkingpig
2006-11-03, 23:32
On 11/3/06, Nostromo
<Nostromo.2gqinb1162621201 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> > Don't make the mistake of assuming that what's important/true for you is
> > universally important to everyone else. I have 980 albums, 12500 tracks,
> > and 0 playlists. It's not because they're hard to create, it's because I
> > don't want any. While I'd be perfectly happy to see improvements in the
> > slimserver list management functions, I personally consider it far from
> > essential.
> >
>
> My guess is that you're in a small minority. Most people use playlists.
>
>
> Playlists and smart playlists are, IMO, -basic- features I expect from
> any music player, whether its iTunes, Windows media player or
> Slimserver. And Slimserver is a subpar app, on that level.
>

Au contraire, I have consulted my own guess, and it is you who are in
the minority.

In my opinion, there should be cake. Luscious, well-frosted cake, by
the freaking bucket full, and Slimserver totally falls down on that
front. All it does when I ask it for Cake is play music by this band
from Sacramento. A six pound German chocolate cake is not too much to
ask... maybe if the EASY-BAKE concept were built into an Infrant? Of
course, it should be low-power as well.

I have lots of music, three squeezeboxes, and I don't use playlists.
--

ceejay
2006-11-04, 01:01
Au contraire, I have consulted my own guess, and it is you who are in
the minority.

I'd be quite interested to know how many people use playlists and what for - maybe its time for a poll?

Bearing in mind that the important thing in a poll is to get the question right - and that once you've posted it on the forum you can't change the options - perhaps we could work out the options first?

A first stab would be:

What do playlists mean to you?

(1) Never or very rarely use them
(2) Minor feature: use static playlists for parties or similar
(3) Important: use playlists a lot, like to use smart or dynamic playlists
(4) Critical: if playlist handling in slimserver isn't improved I'm out of here

Don't use this thread to say which you are! Offers for improving the options are welcome, then lets post it and stop guessing.

Ceejay

erland
2006-11-04, 01:24
Bearing in mind that the important thing in a poll is to get the question right - and that once you've posted it on the forum you can't change the options - perhaps we could work out the options first?
Sounds good.
I'm not sure how to describe this in the poll options but I feel that its important to get some feedback if it is the smart playlist handling or the managing of static playlists that are important.

Personally I don't have a single static playlist, but I have a lot of different smart playlists (using different plugins). In the suggested poll options I would probably vote "Important" but I am afraid that it could be interpreted as if I feel that better managing of static playlists are an important feature, which I don't. Implementation of smart playlists on the other hand I feel is very important.

ceejay
2006-11-04, 01:42
Good point. How about:

What do playlists mean to you?

(1) Never or very rarely use them
(2) Not a big problem: use static playlists for parties or similar, current features ok
(3) Use static playlists a lot, would like to see better features for managing them
(4) Want to use smart or dynamic playlists, not just static ones. Current iTunes integration and/or plugins are usable for me (though could be better!).
(5) Smart or dynamic playlists are very important, the current options are not good enough, really want to see this improved
(6) Critical: if playlist handling in slimserver isn't improved I'm out of here

Ceejay

ceejay
2006-11-04, 04:31
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=29368

(had to shorten some of the descriptions to fit!)

Please vote and comment.

Ceejay

FortFun
2006-11-04, 23:02
Would love to have my SB's synced while playing Pandora.

Sorry, if already mentioned!

Manelus
2006-11-05, 08:38
I rip or download a file... simplest thing would be send the .cue file or file itself to slimserver -> tranporter and play it.
Now: move to 1TB music folder... rescan the entire folder... go to the folder within slimserver and serch the one you have just added... All in all a long workaround.
I miss being able to play it right from the Windows folder

heyho
2006-11-06, 07:05
All I want from Slimserver 7 is an easy installation/upgrade path so that whatever version of Slimserver you are currently on and/or whatever os/platform it is running on installation/upgrade is a mere click away.

Given the efforts to try and get 6.5 to work on Openlink and then Freelink I can but hope. I'm back to 6.3.1 and working fine.

toddel68
2006-11-07, 03:46
I'd like to be able to turn off my SB3 and have it resume at the same point in the file when turned back on.
Not only that, but resume for *every* file that I've played and not reached the end of. Like TiVo does, resume by default.

(Apologies if:- a) this has already been suggested, or b) it's in v6.5 - I'm still on v6.3)

John

Like in player settings/audio/startup behavior? (I have a german interface so names might be different)
Thorsten

loris
2006-11-08, 08:51
I'd like to see bug 2068 (add menu option to stop network
activity after pressing OFF) implemented.

It's important to have the choice of putting the pc running
slimserver into sleep when the squeezebox is switched off.

Loris

Philip Meyer
2006-11-08, 15:53
>What do playlists mean to you?
>
I don't generally use static playlists. I usually listen to either albums or random tracks/smart playlists (eg. Erland's plugins).

I do sometimes use playlists:

1. For reminding me later when I am back at my server that I have to fix some tags (eg. an artist that hasn't got an artist sort tag). When I am listening to random tracks and discover a fault, I add the track to a static playlist "Bad Tags" (via my PlaylistMan plugin).

2. I used to add radio stations to static playlists. Nowadays those playlists have gone, as I use "MyPicks" plugin.

I may also use playlists in the future for creating albums from other collections of tracks. For example, I have ripped my Led Zeppelin Boxed I and II sets, but would also like to be able to browse the original albums. Rather than rip the songs again as the original albums, I plan to create cue sheets that define those albums, using the remastered boxed set tracks as the source.

I think it would be nice to be able to save a playlist as a cue sheet, essentially so that the playlist appears as an album within the usual browse menus.

Nostromo
2006-11-08, 16:55
1. For reminding me later when I am back at my server that I have to fix some tags (eg. an artist that hasn't got an artist sort tag). When I am listening to random tracks and discover a fault, I add the track to a static playlist "Bad Tags" (via my PlaylistMan plugin).

Alternatively, you could use ratings. Rate all your problem tracks 1 star and then have a dynamic playlist pick them up: a playlist containing all songs with a 1 star rating. Its an old iPod trick. Unfortunately, rating songs on the Squeezebox is not as easy as on an iPod. :(

Scallywagfr78
2006-11-12, 11:28
Hello,
I run a large music base of mostly classical music in MP3. I would like to be able to display any combination of info/tags on the "Albums" page in Slimserver e.g. Composer - Album Title - Album artist. At present, if I want to knows who's symphony is shown performed by whom I have to enter all the info under the Album Title and possibly repeat it in other tags. What's the use then to have multiple tags in MP3?
One way out could be (I am not a developer) to develop the possibilities now given by the dropdown on the Album page by showing the info (artist genre album year) not only using it to determine the order of display. After all, I can determine quite nicely the info to appear on the SB.
Or am I missing something here?
Incidentally, after lots of problems with 6.5.0 things seem to be running nicely with 6.5.1.
Thanks

anonymouse
2006-11-12, 12:00
I am new to this board so forgive me if this is a duplicate request. I tried searching for it but I could not find it.

What I would REALLY like to see is a new visualization. If you use Winamp visualizations you may have seen one called the sexy scrolling voice print. It has time on the x-axis and frequency on the y-axis and it scrolls. It has 5 or 6 different intensity levels which represent the amplitude of a particular frequency at a given moment in time. It looks really cool.

I was thinking since the SB has a grayscale display maybe someone could implement it. I would really like to see it and make my firends envy it that much more.

Mister-E
2006-11-12, 15:27
6.5 is "in the bag"??!?!?! Yeah, right, the TRASH bag. I've got a suggestion for v7: Make it WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man, I'm so sick of Slim Devices releasing software and firmware that completely nukes a system that was working fine. 6.5.0 certainly should have never been released, period. And from what I gather, the 6.5.1 daily builds are still pretty flakey. But I wouldn't know, because I'm tired of wasting my time being an unpaid bug-finder for Slim Devices.

I may never upgrade from 6.3.1. I have no desire for slower, buggier, more bloated software on my system.

Gavster
2006-11-13, 05:58
Apologies if already mentioned but the ability to connect to Pandora through SS (rather than SN) would be great.

Gavin

Siduhe
2006-11-13, 06:17
Apologies if already mentioned but the ability to connect to Pandora through SS (rather than SN) would be great.
Gavin

As I understand it, that is very unlikely to happen. Slimserver is open source, but Pandora is closed source, and so Pandora cannot be integrated into Slimserver without either a) infringing the open source nature of Slimserver, or b) infringing Pandora's copyright. Squeezenetwork on the other hand is proprietory to Slim Devices, so no licencing issues there.

spacemarmot
2006-11-15, 16:22
1. Since you are now Logitech, support for the Z10 speakers.

2. Not be written in perl.

Gavster
2006-11-16, 05:14
As I understand it, that is very unlikely to happen. Slimserver is open source, but Pandora is closed source, and so Pandora cannot be integrated into Slimserver without either a) infringing the open source nature of Slimserver, or b) infringing Pandora's copyright. Squeezenetwork on the other hand is proprietory to Slim Devices, so no licencing issues there.

Aye ... but despite the legal/licencing difficulties, it would be a nice feature to have. 8)

SadGamerGeek
2006-11-16, 06:13
2. Not be written in perl.

Why?

Richard

erland
2006-11-16, 10:39
2. Not be written in perl.Would you be willing to wait for new features for a couple of years while the existing functionality were rewritten in some other language ?

I would also prefer if it was written in some other language, but it isn't and I feel that new features is more important than starting to rewrite the existing ones in another language.

LogiSoft
2006-11-16, 14:11
- Integration with Windows Media Center so that I can control it with the remote control if MCE.

- Touchscreen PlugIn without scrolling, search function with the use of a keyboard (on screen keyboard)

bergek
2006-11-16, 14:27
External visualisation on a TV through the display output of the server running Slimserver for those of us with a fanless headless server. On the TV should be shown downloaded information (Wikipedia?) on the currently playing artist / album.

Aragorn
2006-11-17, 02:06
Hi,
I believe that before going for new features, it would be more important to:
1) Finishing the specification (the new Wiki SlimServerSpecification is a good start)
2) Establish a set of standard test
3) Run the tests and fix the bug
4) Create a complete documentation and a process that make sure that documentation and releases are always aligned

This would be a huhe step forward for us (the customers)

Regards
Aragorn

watersuper
2006-11-17, 11:20
1. Be able to make PLAYLISTS easier or use WMP
2. Better control and execution of fast forward and reverse.

Mikael
2006-11-23, 15:55
I (and my wife(o=)would realy like to have sync between 2 or more Squeezeboxes/Transporters when loged on to Squeeze Network.
(They are on the same local network)

Thanks
Mikael

Simon Still
2006-11-23, 16:14
On 11/17/06, Aragorn <Aragorn.2het6o1163754602 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> Hi,
> I believe that before going for new features, it would be more
> important to:
> 1) Finishing the specification (the new Wiki SlimServerSpecification is
> a good start)
> 2) Establish a set of standard test
> 3) Run the tests and fix the bug
> 4) Create a complete documentation and a process that make sure that
> documentation and releases are always aligned
>
>
I'm with Aragorn here. I've had no issues with the latest release version
of 6.5 but i still think the interface and responsiveness have huge room for
improvement. I've got the latest version of iTunes and it's a world away
from Slimserver.

Give me something that does 80% of what i want it to but does it reliably,
24.7, is easy to configure and responsive rather than something with
features i don't even understand the justification for.

autopilot
2006-11-23, 16:16
Audiobook management. Perhaps not having them listed under albums and having an Audio Book section (using an audio book tag to separate from music).

fuzzyT
2006-11-29, 10:17
Mikael wrote:
> I (and my wife(o=)would realy like to have sync between 2 or more
> Squeezeboxes/Transporters when loged on to Squeeze Network.

You may find this enhancement request to be pertinent:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3114

Sync'ing players with SN and Pandora would probably have a similar (if
not identical) technical solution.

--rt

jerry_mcbride
2006-12-02, 22:00
I use mysql extensively, both at home and at work... I'll go to hell before I force utf8 on any of those servers, JUST, to support slimserver...

That aside...

My first suggestion... bring back SQLlite... you can configure that anyway you desire...

My second suggestion... Use something other than PERL... PLEASE! The interpreter overhead is horrendous! It pretty much eliminates using slimserver on lowend hardware... especially if you toss the likes of mysql into the picture... C would be heavenly...

Jerry McBride

JJZolx
2006-12-02, 22:20
I use mysql extensively, both at home and at work... I'll go to hell before I force utf8 on any of those servers, JUST, to support slimserver...

What's the issue with utf8? I thought character sets were defined on a table by table basis.

pfarrell
2006-12-02, 22:28
jerry_mcbride wrote:
> My second suggestion... Use something other than PERL... PLEASE! The
> interpreter overhead is horrendous! It pretty much eliminates using
> slimserver on lowend hardware... especially if you toss the likes of
> mysql into the picture... C would be heavenly...

Not to want to jump into a theological argument, because it flat out
isn't going to happen.

But what makes you think that the Perl overhead is significant in this
usage? And how in the world would you suggest C as a replacement?

While there is no argument that languages such as Java or Perl are not
as fast as well optimized C or assembly for processor intensive usage,
your statement appears to be based on a couple of faulty assumptions.

First, Perl and Java are usually compiled into byte code that is
peephole optimized using JIT techniques. The JIT optimizations are
decent and get better all the time. While it is true that Intel
developed the Itanium spec as a VLIW processor with the assumption that
it would be far faster than X86 processors for applications developed in
the late 1990s and beyond, the Itanium has not delivered, and sure isn't
the basis for modern things like the AMD X2 or Intel Duo Core.
Depending on the benchmark, the difference is really that that big a
deal, maybe a factor of two or three, not the 30 to 100 times that
statements such are yours seem to rely upon. I've done serious
cryptography in Java (RSA, SHA, DES) and had it be within the above
factor of two or three, and you can't get much more CPU bound than crypto.

Secondly, SlimServer is an application that generates HTML displayed in
a browser from data in a database or disk. It is not CPU bound at all.
It is communication bound, it gets a little data, reformats it, spits it
out to the browser, waits forever for a user response, gets a little
data, reformats it, talks to the database... Repeat forever.
Taking the SlimServer perl code, itself, to ZERO cpu usage is not going
to have a big impact in throughput.

As importantly, I can't see the point of your "low end" hardware idea.
For years I ran SlimServer on a free computer. It was an ancient P3-500
that I had laying around unused in my basement. You can't get much lower
end than that. It ran fine until the day when the CPU fan clogged with
dust bunnies -- it was probably already five years old at the time.

Perhaps our definitions of low end hardware are different.
My definition is something like a TS-7250 from EmbeddedArm.com.
Sells for under $200 quantity one retail. But the cost of a slimserver
is not the CPU, its the disks and memory.

But the reality is that unless someone completes a rewrite in [insert
your favorite language here] the SlimServer is written in Perl and
maintained and enhanced by software engineers who are comfortable,
productive and experienced in perl.

On your suggestion of C, I know C, I've written C professionally, and I
prefer it over C++. I even am paying a professional software engineer to
develop in C right now. But that is for an embedded application that has
to run in 32KB of RAM. The SlimServer is developed with OO, you simply
can't do that in C. Plus the SlimServer leverages a huge set of CPAN
modules for things like MP3 file processing, directory structure
recursion, HTML generation, international language support, etc.
It is impossible to think about doing such a rich system in C with a
handful of developers.

I've toyed with the idea of making an equivalent "port" to Java. but
haven't had the time to even get started. And as folks talk about
a port, the product is being enhanced. Catching up is a real challenge,
even if someone really wanted to re-implement it. No one has presented
any reasons, other than theology, behind even suggesting a change.

--
Pat

stinkingpig
2006-12-03, 10:02
On 12/2/06, Pat Farrell <pfarrell (AT) pfarrell (DOT) com> wrote:
>
> But the reality is that unless someone completes a rewrite in [insert
> your favorite language here] the SlimServer is written in Perl and
> maintained and enhanced by software engineers who are comfortable,
> productive and experienced in perl.
>

/me applauds

that was so much more complete of a smackdown than the usual "patches
welcome". You must have eaten your Wheaties this morning :)
--

Jacob Potter
2006-12-03, 18:04
On 12/3/06, Pat Farrell <pfarrell (AT) pfarrell (DOT) com> wrote:
> First, Perl and Java are usually compiled into byte code that is
> peephole optimized using JIT techniques.

I'm pretty sure Perl isn't JIT compiled. Java, .NET, and ActionScript
3 are, Python can be with Psyco (on 32-bit x86), and I think Perl 6
will be, but Perl 5 just interprets the bytecode.

I absolutely agree with all your other points though. I've toyed with
the idea of a Python rewrite myself, but it really wouldn't be worth
it.

- Jacob

pfarrell
2006-12-03, 18:32
Jacob Potter wrote:
> On 12/3/06, Pat Farrell <pfarrell (AT) pfarrell (DOT) com> wrote:
>> First, Perl and Java are usually compiled into byte code that is
>> peephole optimized using JIT techniques.
>
> I'm pretty sure Perl isn't JIT compiled. Java, .NET, and ActionScript
> 3 are, Python can be with Psyco (on 32-bit x86), and I think Perl 6
> will be, but Perl 5 just interprets the bytecode.

OK, it will be true RSN. Every language that is getting
any active development is moving there. And peephole optimizations
are taught in any grad school compiler course.

Not direction applicable to this thread, but some of the JIT code is
pretty impressive. Proper optimization for an ancient Pentium-4
is quite different than that for a modern Dual Core or AMD X2.
The days of running a single binary compiled for generic X386 code
are rapidly drawing to a close.

> I absolutely agree with all your other points though. I've toyed with
> the idea of a Python rewrite myself, but it really wouldn't be worth
> it.

Yeah, I'm working on making the Mandriva installation a little less
obscure, as that is a suitably low hanging fruit that it is worth
the time.

--
Pat

notanatheist
2006-12-03, 22:21
I did a "search this thread" and can't believe I didn't find what I was looking for. Guess I'll have to suggest it.

How about some sort of equalizer? I'm using a Sonic T-amp on my bedroom setup and can't adjust anything but volume. Of course it didn't become apparent until I was playing with speakers today comparing what I'm using now with some Klipsch RB10's. The Klipsch had a little more oomph that I wanted to lighten and liven up.