PDA

View Full Version : Linkstation Shut Down

stevos
2006-08-30, 00:53
Hi,

I know in telnet you can type reboot, to reboot the linkstation, but is there a similar command to shut it down?

What is the cheapest way to setup a remote control system to turn the station on and off. I realise one option is to solder a capacitor to the on/off switch, and then use a remote controlled mains plug, but where can i find one of these fairly cheaply or is there any other options?

Regards
Steve.

mherger
2006-08-30, 02:22
> I know in telnet you can type reboot, to reboot the linkstation, but is
> there a similar command to shut it down?

Typically on a linux system this is something like "halt"

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

aubuti
2006-08-31, 06:31
I don't know about attaching a remote control, but for shutdown via telnet (actually ssh) I usually use: shutdown -h now

Patrick Dixon
2006-08-31, 07:03
What is the cheapest way to setup a remote control system to turn the station on and off. I realise one option is to solder a capacitor to the on/off switch, and then use a remote controlled mains plug, but where can i find one of these fairly cheaply or is there any other options?
I think it's possible to do this using kdf's execute plugin. You can then use wake-on-lan (does the Linkstation support this?) to start it up again.

You then control server start/stop using the SB remote control.

aubuti
2006-08-31, 07:22
I think it's possible to do this using kdf's execute plugin. You can then use wake-on-lan (does the Linkstation support this?) to start it up again.
That's the way it should work, but to the best of my knowledge no LinkStations support WOL. I blame Bush ;o)