PDA

View Full Version : using SlimServer as a small radio server



rmn
2006-08-29, 19:22
Hi,

Is it possible to use SlimServer as a small radio server with several software clients? I've tried it but It seems that it's necessary to create playlist for every new "player". Is there "sync" function to make software players to use the same playlist?

SlimServer Version: 6.3.1 - 8476 (linux)

Thanks.

jeffluckett
2006-08-29, 19:33
Yes, it's possible to sync your players attached to your SlimServer.

See this page in the wiki:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?Synchronization

ceejay
2006-08-29, 23:34
... but syncing radio streams is not without issues. Search the forums for many discussions, such as this one: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=26139

Ceejay

rmn
2006-08-30, 03:25
Yes, it's possible to sync your players attached to your SlimServer.

See this page in the wiki:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?Synchronization
Thank you for this info.


Other clients, such as Winamp and XMMS cannot be synchronized to the same stream.
This is an answer to my question. It's a pity. :( Slimserver can only sync SLIM* devices but no software players.

smc2911
2006-08-30, 03:43
There's always softsqueeze (although the synchronisation is not great with softsqueeze).

radish
2006-08-30, 06:36
This is an answer to my question. It's a pity. :( Slimserver can only sync SLIM* devices but no software players.
It's impossible to sync non-slim players because each one has different network latencies & buffering strategies. Slimproto allows slim players to negotiate to stay in sync, plain HTTP streaming has no such mechanism.

peter
2006-08-30, 07:11
Yes, yes, of course. But perfect sync only matters when the players are
within hearing distance of another. If you want to play 'radio station'
this usually is not the case. So, doesn't SS sllow software (http)
clients to sync with other players at all or is it just not very good at
it? If the latter, that probably won't matter much in this case.

Regards,
Peter

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 06:36:01 -0700, "radish"
<radish.2dcv0n1156945201 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> said:
>
> rmn;132160 Wrote:
> > This is an answer to my question. It's a pity. :( Slimserver can only
> > sync SLIM* devices but no software players.
> It's impossible to sync non-slim players because each one has different
> network latencies & buffering strategies. Slimproto allows slim players
> to negotiate to stay in sync, plain HTTP streaming has no such
> mechanism.
>
>
> --
> radish
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> radish's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=77
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=26853
>
>

radish
2006-08-30, 17:58
So, doesn't SS sllow software (http)
clients to sync with other players at all or is it just not very good at
it? If the latter, that probably won't matter much in this case.


It doesn't allow it at all, although as you say, it could have a go. The reason it doesn't do it is probably that SS is designed as a home media server, and in most cases in a home you either want the players perfectly synced or not synced at all. A number of people seem to want to use SS to run streaming stations but it's not really what it's designed for - I'm sure there must be better solutions out there for that purpose.

rmn
2006-08-31, 18:45
A number of people seem to want to use SS to run streaming stations but it's not really what it's designed for - I'm sure there must be better solutions out there for that purpose.
You're right. I've tried to use SS instead of streaming station software. The reason is the following: I haven't found _better_opensource_solution_ for linux with remote control via Web. :( SS has this feature, It also has very good UI, perfect playlist management system, etc. but It was not designed for using as a radio automation software and as a result I can't use it to solve my problem. :(

radish
2006-08-31, 19:44
You're right. I've tried to use SS instead of streaming station software. The reason is the following: I haven't found _better_opensource_solution_ for linux with remote control via Web. :( SS has this feature, It also has very good UI, perfect playlist management system, etc. but It was not designed for using as a radio automation software and as a result I can't use it to solve my problem. :(

Sounds like a call for a plugin :)