PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Powerline Ethernet (Level One)

WSLam
2006-08-28, 10:01
I am helping my friend setting up a SB3 in his stereo system. Since his wireless router is a little far, so he bought a pair of Level One PL-2021 Powerline ethernet adaptors.

I spent two hours at his place and could not get then to work with the SB3. So I took them home. And they worked when I tried to connect a notebook computer to it. The problem is with the SB3. SB3 cannot work with the Level One. It can't 'see' the network...can't find DHCP server, can't find SlimServer. I already tried using static IP instead of DHCP, but same results. But as soon as I replace the SB3 with a computer, it works right away. So something is incompatble between the SB3 and the Level One adaptors. Anyone has any idea what the incompatability may be?

Mark Lanctot
2006-08-28, 10:13
You did reboot the SB3 and select wired networking, right? You may want to reset to factory defaults just to clear everything - press and hold ADD when power-cycling.

What kind of cable were you using between the adaptor and the SB3?

A patch cable would be best. A crossover cable should not work, but since most laptop ports are autosensing, would probably work with a laptop. I'm not sure if the powerline adaptor has an autosensing port - it probably does, in which case the cable point is moot.

WSLam
2006-08-28, 10:17
Hi mark, thanks for your suggestion.
1) I am using a good, regular cat5 cable
2) The same cable works for my notebook
3) Just tried to do a reset, and same thing. Can't find DHCP/SlimSerever
4) It killed my linksys router. my linksys rebooted when SB3 starts to searching for a DHCP server.

Again, with a computer, there is NO problem.

Dougal
2006-08-28, 11:43
Just a thought,
My Ethernet over power line adapters (Devolo) go into a sleep or power save mode when not in use for a while and require an input from the server. I usually press play from the browser interface.
I presume that there is not an encryption issue.
The clock screensaver will always keep them awake.
Doug.

WSLam
2006-08-28, 23:46
Hi Doug,
Thanks. But the case you described does not apply to me.
I am pretty certain I have done enough trial and errors to conclude that this is a specific incompatability between the Level One and the SB3.

bpa
2006-08-29, 00:29
I don't think this applies to your situation but uPNP has now crept into a lot of devices (e.g. routers, Rhapsody support) and it may be worth a try if Slimserver is on Windows.

There is a known problem with Windows / uPNP and Homenet devices (as many use the same chipset). It can be solved by changing the behaviour in Windows XP to use IGMPv2 instead of IGMPv3.

The following change to Windows registry ( by typing regedit ) make it use the different version of IGMP. I think you ned to reboot Windows to
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters]
"IGMPVersion"=dword:00000003

I don't see the pl2021 on the Level One website but the Pl2020 look like Devolo products in a different case. Devolo are currently beta testing new firmware to cure this problem. It may be worthwhile e-mail Levcel One support to see if they have new firmware.

WSLam
2006-08-29, 00:37
Thanks bpa,
I fail to see how this is Windows related? All computers can be off, but the SB3 still can't 'see' anything. not even squeezenetwork. it cant even see the router.

here's the model i am playign with:
http://global.level1.com/products2.php?Id=765

no firmware upgrades yet...

bpa
2006-08-29, 01:14
The problem relates to the filtering of IGMPv3 protocol by the Homenet adaptor. IGMPv3 is used by Windows by default and so people see the problem most often with Windows.

If other devices (e.g. the router) use it and does not support fallback to IGMPv2 then you will have a problem where one device can't see the other.

Personally I don't think this is your problem after your description of problem without slimserver.

Pale Blue Ego
2006-08-29, 07:34
The adapters should work just like a long cat-5 cable. Is there software that came with the adapters? Can you see the powerline network using the software?

WSLam
2006-08-29, 09:01
hi guys.
i am positive this is a Level One/SB3 compatability issue. Yes, I can see the Powerline adaptor usign Level One's software. But SB3 cannot see anything when connected to the powerline adaptor. COMPUTERS work, just not SB3.

Heuer
2006-08-29, 09:20
All Homeplug units 'should' work to the same agreed standard and my SB3 works perfectly with the High Speed Devolos (along with two TiVos and security cameras/DVR). I assume you have not plugged the Powerline into any mains filtration or UPS devices as these will immediately block the ethernet connection? The two units also need to be on the same ring main - have you tried putting them in adjacent sockets?

Otherwise it does indeed sound like there is a compatability issue - try Devolo or Netgear.

dennisd
2006-08-29, 09:57
I'd recommend the following debug steps:
1)Plug the SB3 directly into the router and power it up. If it works then check it with the other ethernet cable. If successful with both then,
2)In the same room as the router, plug both adapters into the same wall socket (or whatever as long as it does not have a power filter and plug into the same wall connector. I'd use a cube tap or extension cord for this), connect one adapter to the router (same port as the step 1) and connect the other adapter to the SB3. Power up the SB3 and see what happens. The adapter LEDs may help diagnose the situation also.

Alternatively, take the SB3 to your home, where the computers worked, use the same cables after verifying the computers still works and power the SB3 up and see if the SB3 gets an IP address (it is pingable too then!)

I have used 2 brands of these adapters and have never heard of a incompatibility problem. Let us know what you find in this simple test case and we will go from there.
Hang in there,
Dennis

Heuer
2006-08-29, 10:34
Only thing to watch if you follow Dennis' steps is to ensure any trailing sockets do not have any onboard surge suppression/VDR's etc. The Homeplugs need to see a 'clear' mains supply.

WSLam
2006-08-29, 10:48
no filter, no UPS. Like i said, when i replace the SB3 with a notebook computer, it works immediately. i have already tried diff sockets. the software can see the adaptor, it's SB3 that cannot see anything through the Level One.

WSLam
2006-08-29, 10:50
Dennis, I have done all that you suggested. I have tried 3 diff SB3 as well. SB3 is ONLY have a problem with the Level One. the only thing that I have not yet tried is a diff powerline ethernet adaptor.

can't see dhcp, can't see slimserver, hence non pingable.

i think this is a specific incompatability users should note.

I'd recommend the following debug steps:
1)Plug the SB3 directly into the router and power it up. If it works then check it with the other ethernet cable. If successful with both then,
2)In the same room as the router, plug both adapters into the same wall socket (or whatever as long as it does not have a power filter and plug into the same wall connector. I'd use a cube tap or extension cord for this), connect one adapter to the router (same port as the step 1) and connect the other adapter to the SB3. Power up the SB3 and see what happens. The adapter LEDs may help diagnose the situation also.

Alternatively, take the SB3 to your home, where the computers worked, use the same cables after verifying the computers still works and power the SB3 up and see if the SB3 gets an IP address (it is pingable too then!)

I have used 2 brands of these adapters and have never heard of a incompatibility problem. Let us know what you find in this simple test case and we will go from there.
Hang in there,
Dennis

dennisd
2006-08-29, 12:00
Wow, that was fast. Do you have the PLI-2021 and is it hardware version 1, version 2 or version 3? (the -V number below the barcode will tell us)
Dennis

WSLam
2006-08-29, 12:03
version 2. i did all the scenarios i could think of last night. spent 3 hours diagnosing it...
i do not have the adaptors with me any more though. i have given them back to my friend.

dennisd
2006-08-29, 12:07
Hmm. I'll send you a PM with another ID or two to check out. If it works, we'll get back to the forum.
Dennis

WSLam
2006-08-29, 12:51
Thanks Dennis, will reply to your PM. ws