PDA

View Full Version : NAS to run SlimServer, play APEs

udovdh
2006-08-28, 08:16
Hello,

What NAS could run SlimServer, does support playing APE files without hiccups and offers a solid RAID-5 performance?
(S-ATA would be preferred, low noise, low power, no need for hot swap, should support growing of RAID array by exchanging disks and then growing the fs on top of the array)

What would you advise?

Udo

udovdh
2006-08-31, 10:24
No one? No real winner? For price? Performance?

funkstar
2006-08-31, 15:22
I'll reply so you don't feel left out, but i don't think i know of anything that will match your needs completely i'm afraid.

I have no idea about APE files. i would imagine that as long as there is a linux binary decoder for them, it should be possible to get existing RAID-5 boxes to handle them and convert to FLAC on the fly.

The only RAID-5 boxes i know of that can run SlimServer are the Infrant and the LinkStation. Performance and other criteria have bee discussed many times in other threads.

Sorry i can't be of more help to you :)

bpa
2006-08-31, 17:28
The Thecus N5200 could meet your needs but I don't know of anybody who has installed slimserver on it.

It is based on a Celeron processor so all plugins and transcoding would be available - so I assume APE support would be the same as Linux on an x86.

JJZolx
2006-08-31, 18:35
I'll reply so you don't feel left out, but i don't think i know of anything that will match your needs completely i'm afraid.

I have no idea about APE files. i would imagine that as long as there is a linux binary decoder for them, it should be possible to get existing RAID-5 boxes to handle them and convert to FLAC on the fly.

The only RAID-5 boxes i know of that can run SlimServer are the Infrant and the LinkStation. Performance and other criteria have bee discussed many times in other threads.
If I'm not mistaken, though, the Infrant distribution of SlimServer does _no_ transcoding. It will stream only those formats that can be natively played on a particular generation of Squeezebox. Which rules out APE (Monkey's Audio). The Infrant people believe that the ReadyNAS models don't have enough CPU horsepower to do transcoding, so they don't include LAME or other codec software to allow it. Whether or not that's true is a moot point since the system isn't currently open and you can't install any software.

funkstar
2006-09-01, 01:37
If I'm not mistaken, though, the Infrant distribution of SlimServer does _no_ transcoding. It will stream only those formats that can be natively played on a particular generation of Squeezebox. Which rules out APE (Monkey's Audio). The Infrant people believe that the ReadyNAS models don't have enough CPU horsepower to do transcoding, so they don't include LAME or other codec software to allow it. Whether or not that's true is a moot point since the system isn't currently open and you can't install any software.
Could be right there, i have't looks at the ReadyNAS for quite some time. Too big expesive and loud for my tastes

Chander
2006-09-01, 04:39
So, you want a raid-5 NAS Server with easy support for slimserver, low noise, sata, etc), FLAC files and good performances ?

And the winner is... the Synology Cubestation CS406. Quick, easy-slimserver, reliable, easy-telnet...

I own one of these and it rocks with slimserver (thanks again to flipflip) and squeezebox !

tommypeters
2006-09-03, 03:53
Yes, I believe the CS-406 could be a good choice. Still, is there a reason for keeping the files as APE's? Otherwise, set a program to convert them (if not all at once, then "now-and-then") to FLAC. APE compresses slightly better, partly because of FLAC having more recovery data and partly because the compression is actually better - but HDD space is cheap. And you would save on power and fan-noise in the long run.

udovdh
2006-09-05, 08:43
Thanks for the replies.
My experience is that my CL6000 (600 Mhz VIA C3) does not do APE to WAV conversion on the fly without hiccups. (yes, it is also a firewall etc but it doesn't work)
APEs are the most critical so I am looking for a box that has the horsepower to play them and perform nicely as a NAS box.

I could build an ITX-based solution. I'd need 4 SATA connections and/or port multipliers (bad?) and afterwards feel that a lot of potential is wasted in a box that just serves a few files now and then.
So sleek, low power and still able enough are keywords here.

Pellicle
2007-05-01, 07:53
The latest version of the Slimserver module for the Thecus n5200 runs Slimserver with no issues.
Just an update for those considering this NAS. It has no performance issue due to the CPU so version 6.5 runs well even with graphics and using the web interface.