PDA

View Full Version : Dead SB2s

Chris OH
2006-08-28, 06:54
Hi,

I have two SB2's both just about a year or so old. One of them has died and I have contacted SDs support line for assistance.

The problem originally manifest itself as some sort of confusion with the screen savers. I had read that the display may have a potential lifespan so I had previously disabled my display (in settings) so that nothing showed while playing, nor on standby.

On one of the players the display began to show what looked like two screensavers, artist etc and some sort of overall digital vu meter.

Anyway, the player is now unresponsive to a factory reset and as I have seen a previous poster mention, this is despite the fact that the unit definitely has power as you can see a tell tale red light in the spdif output.

Is this likely to be terminal decline in the screen and therefore the player? How common is it?

REgards

Chris

Mark Lanctot
2006-08-28, 07:14
On one of the players the display began to show what looked like two screensavers, artist etc and some sort of overall digital vu meter.

That's one of the normal screensaver modes - Now Playing superimposed over a screen-width spectrum analyzer.

Chris OH
2006-08-28, 07:26
Thanks Mark,

It may be but in the player settings the screensaver was set to none for while playing and for on stand by, so why the screen saver

Maybe the screensaver thing is a red herring, either way the unit no longer responds.

Chris

Mark Lanctot
2006-08-28, 07:37
About the only thing you can check is whether the remote is working properly, i.e. check the batteries. I believe you can also pick up a dim glow from the IR emitter with a digital camera in a dark room.

If the remote is working and it won't reset on power-up, definitely call support.

Chris OH
2006-08-28, 07:42
Thanks Mark,

I have two units and both controls are working so it is definitely the player. Let's see what support have to say.

Anyone else experienced this?

Chris

Chris OH
2006-09-01, 09:10
Hi,

It turned out that the powersupply was on the fritz.

See Power Supply Downgrade post in Audiofool section

Chris