PDA

View Full Version : Who's into "electro"?

aweller
2006-08-28, 01:55
In a similar vein to the thread "Who's into ambient, electronica, etc?" (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=21653), I'd like to increase my "electro" collection - some "music for robots" that gets me up and jumping. These are examples of the kinda genre I have that I want (need!) more of:

Audio Bullys - Generation - 05. I wont let you down
Royksopp - The Understanding - 08. Circuit breaker
Plaid - Trainer - CD1 - 03. Slice of cheese

Cheers, Andy

autopilot
2006-08-28, 04:23
Where are you from? The Electro scene is much bigger and "matured" outside of the US, particually in Europe.I can recommend some albums/artists which you might be interested in which are excellent but posibly a bit unknown ;

Lemon Jelly
Nightmares on Wax
Hot Chip
Coldcut
Hexstatic
Goldfrapp
Groove Armarda
Mylo
Bent
Mr Scruff
Evil Nine

Of course there is the more classic stuff which you have probably heard off from the likes of;

Leftfield
Massive Attack
Orbital
Avalanches
The Orb
... i could be here for hours actually.

I tend to listen to the more chilled stuff myself these days, might be that some of the stuff i have suggested is a bit chilled for what you might be looking for.

I don't like the term "music for robots" to much though :) A lot of electro is more musically interesing, inteligent and soulful than a lot of the generic rock thats coming off the conveyor belt these days.

PS, Apologies if my assumption that you are from the States in wrong :)

Skunk
2006-08-28, 06:49
Kraftwerk, The Mix. Having the tracks 'Home Computer' and 'Pocket Calculator', it should be right up your alley.

Nostromo
2006-08-28, 10:03
Some groups mentionned so far aren't electro, IMO. Massive Attack and Colcut, for example, are not electro, IMHO. Not that its a big deal, they're still great :)

I second Kraftwerk. A must. The Mix is pretty good. I love the version of "Radioactivity". I also love "The Robots". Their Live double album is great, sounds great and is probably the most comprehensive Kraftwerk compilation around.

Maybe some Gary Numan? His classic, "Cars" is on "Pleasure principle".

For something more hard hitting, try "Ok Cowboy" by Vitalic.

I also second "Destroy Rock & Roll" by Mylo, even though I wouldn't call it electro

Maybe you'll like Felix Da Housecat. Maybe "Kitten and thee glitz" or "Excursions"

There's alos Anthony Rotter and Tiga.

autopilot
2006-08-28, 10:56
Some groups mentionned so far aren't electro, IMO. Massive Attack and Colcut, for example, are not electro, IMHO. Not that its a big deal, they're still great :)

I second Kraftwerk. A must. The Mix is pretty good. I love the version of "Radioactivity". I also love "The Robots". Their Live double album is great, sounds great and is probably the most comprehensive Kraftwerk compilation around.

Maybe some Gary Numan? His classic, "Cars" is on "Pleasure principle".

For something more hard hitting, try "Ok Cowboy" by Vitalic.

I also second "Destroy Rock & Roll" by Mylo, even though I wouldn't call it electro

Maybe you'll like Felix Da Housecat. Maybe "Kitten and thee glitz" or "Excursions"

There's alos Anthony Rotter and Tiga.

Yes i agree, i guess it depends on your views and how much you are into the scene. People define music if different ways around the world too. The definition of Dance in the UK is differnet to that of Dance in the USA. What American's generally can 'dance', we call 'Urban' in the UK. But the lines are blurry.

Massive attack and coldcut are electro, in that thier music is mostly electronically produced, but i don't define them as elctro myself more Trip-Hop or whatever for Coldcut (they have done all sorts from house to drum and bass). Electro almost has 80's connotations for me, as most electronic music was know as electro then. But to many people Electro is basically all electronic music. I change terms depending on who i talk too. For example, the orginal posted named the Audio Bullys - which i would not classify as Electro, but i can understand why he did - and he did put the word electro in quotes to indicate he too finds it hard to define.

But at the end of the day, I personally hate all this "pigeon holing" of music. There are about 1,000,000 types of house music it seems. No wonder the CDDB is always completely wrong when it comes to tagging most music.

devo_live
2006-08-28, 14:37
Some of the below are poppy electro, but worth checking out.

Times Like These - Alden Tyrell
Midnight Magic - Kiko
OK Cowboy - Vitalic
Light and Magic - Ladytron
The First Album - Miss Kittin and the Hacker
The Teaches of Peaches - Peaches
Capsule for One - Vector Lovers
Reves Mechanique - The Hacker
Wild Light - Mount Sims
Beams - The Presets
Fancy Ultra Fresh - Freezepop
Danse Macabre - The Faint (check out Agenda Suicide in particular)
and the City Rockers Futurism compilations

Skunk
2006-08-28, 17:24

Oops- 'The Robots' is what made it come to mind, when the OP asked about music for robots. Forgot to mention it!

'Trans Europe Express'>'Abzug'>'Metal on Metal' is the hightlight for me on that disc. I'll be sure to pick up the live album.

aweller
2006-08-29, 03:53
Hi all, thanks for the feedback. I'm actually a Brit based in Zurich (I've changed my user space to now display this).

"Electro", yes, a funny one to define. Although Audio Bullys are not wholly defined as electro, in my opinion, the track I named ("I won't let you down") is a great electro track. I believe dangerous_dom's idea that electro "almost has 80's connotations" - when I listen to the tracks I like, that's almost always the case.

I have been into electronic music (not solely "electro") for many years now and feel that I don't have enough electro. What I mean by this is hard to define. Don't get me wrong, I love Kraftwerk and all the classics (Mr Scruff, Orbital [the best], etc). But I want some clean cut, breaky, bassy, twisty, 80's sounding (perhaps!) electro that'll make my wanna jump up and groove. By this I don't mean breakz or breakbeat (Adam Freeland, Evil Nine, Ils, etc.).

Anyhow, I'm rambling, dangerous_dom, the two I've not heard of on your list are: Hot Chip & Hexstatic. I will check them out.

I've not heard of most from devo_live's list, so will definitely check them out. Also, Felix Da Housecat.

Cheers, Andy

autopilot
2006-08-29, 04:03
aweller, from what your are saying, it sounds like Hot Chip (i have the ablum called The Warning - lastest i think) are just what you are looking for... Funky, wierd-yet-wonderful at times, and they have a real elecro retro sound. I think they might even be up for a Mercury Music award.

Felix Da House cat is a great recommendation too, some stuff is Electro, some more house.

Actually, some of the Sissor Sistors stuff is electro IMO.

Hexstatic might not be your cup off tea bassed on what you said above, have a trial listen somewhere first. They are on the Ninjatune (Coldcut) lable.

Enjoy :D

devo_live
2006-08-29, 08:27
One album I forgot is Kill Your Radio by David Caretta. Which is very dancy electro.

You can see the video for Agenda Suicide here:

http://www.thefaint.com/agendasuicide.html

TCM
2006-08-31, 12:27
I'm not sure where to draw the genre lines, but The Knife plays electronic music well worth listening to.

http://www.theknife.net/
http://www.myspace.com/theknife
http://www.last.fm/music/The+Knife

...and they like to wear face masks...:-D

http://www.energylab.de/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2006/04/knife.jpg
http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/pic200/drp600/p629/p62930ofh6d.jpg

dSw
2006-08-31, 13:52
Sorry, but the likes of Lemon Jelly, Massive Attack, Goldfrapp are most definitely NOT Electro!! :)

Whilst I think pidgeon-holeing can be taken too far, a certain degree of categorisation is definitely useful. Wikipedia has what I consider to be a fair definition of Electro (as well as a list of some of the purveyors of this genre) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro_music

Notably, the term "Electo" doesn't just mean "electronically produced music" - it is short for "Electo Funk".

My own personal understanding of the term is nearer to what the Wikipedia entry calls "Contemporary Electro", and there is some really good stuff out there at the moment.

An interesting article:

http://www.electrofunkroots.co.uk/what_did_it_all_mean.htm

autopilot
2006-08-31, 14:10
Sorry, but the likes of Lemon Jelly, Massive Attack, Goldfrapp are most definitely NOT Electro!! :)

Whilst I think pidgeon-holeing can be taken too far, a certain degree of categorisation is definitely useful. Wikipedia has what I consider to be a fair definition of Electro (as well as a list of some of the purveyors of this genre) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro_music

Notably, the term "Electo" doesn't just mean "electronically produced music" - it is short for "Electo Funk".

My own personal understanding of the term is nearer to what the Wikipedia entry calls "Contemporary Electro", and there is some really good stuff out there at the moment.

An interesting article:

http://www.electrofunkroots.co.uk/what_did_it_all_mean.htm

Indeed. If you read my second post you will see an explanation of why i suggested those. I have heard many people, mainly in the US, refer to much electronica as electro. Based on the posters orginal listed tracks, i assumed he ment electronica. But that said, some of Lemon Jelly, Massive Attack and Goldfrapps stuff actually does border on electro.

How about a bit of fischerspooner then?

autopilot
2006-08-31, 14:20
...and they like to wear face masks...:-D

Hellfire!

I simply refuse to buy any music from someone who would wear something like that!!

Skunk
2006-08-31, 17:51
autopilot

Did I eat some bad mushrooms, or did you change your screen name?

ezkcdude
2006-09-01, 07:42
I'm not sure where to draw the genre lines, but The Knife plays electronic music well worth listening to.

I just got it last week, and am listening constantly. It's great. I read a review that described it as "Haunted House", which I think is appropriate.

aweller
2006-09-02, 03:07
I think I agree with dSw's take on "electro" having read the Wikipedia site. But 95% of what appears in the (Squeezenetwork) Shoutcast > Genre > Electro category, to me, is NOT electro (perhaps this is a US thing?). I think there needs to be some fine-tuning there!

Will check out The Knife...

Skunk
2006-09-05, 06:26
Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works sounds electro to me, moreso than ambient. The bass is a bit overblown on my copy though, so I wouldn't recommend it too highly :-(

Yogi
2006-09-05, 11:53
Here's some more great electro albums:

Miss Kittin - I Com
Fischerspooner - #1
John Digweed - Transitions (mix cd)

..Really love that Miss Kittin album, check it out ;-)

Yogi
2006-09-05, 12:12
Oh, and try LCD Soundsystem, DFA and !!!(Chick Chick Chick)..
Maby not electro? (hard genre to define) I'd say electro with a punk twist :-)

Last one..
Felix the Housecats Excursions mix-cd is more 80-style electro.

Skunk
2006-09-05, 13:04
Maby not electro? (hard genre to define) I'd say electro with a punk twist :-)

I mentioned those two bands in a thread I started here called 'dance punk???', which according to Wikipedia* is the correct genre.

Great to see another fan here. I'm dying to check out LCD soundsystem live someday :)

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dance-punk

Nostromo
2006-09-19, 17:51
Thanks to you guys I discovered Royksopp. I bought Melody A.M recently and I enjoy it. A pretty good album overall.

I also bought "Orchestra of Bubbles" by Ellen Allien & Apparat. I recommend it. I'm not sure if its everyone's cup of tea, though.

random_tox
2006-10-23, 16:21
If:
Electro = Electronic + Funk
Then:
House - Electro = 0

;-)
An obtuse definition, but as good as any for the semantic nightmare of music categorization. I thought 'Electro' was a marketing term to replace 'New Wave Synth' since kids are suppose to hate what their parents listened to. Nearly audibly synonymous as far as I'm concerned. Daft Punk and Telepopmusic are just newer-wave bands to me. Got nothing on Yello and Art Of Noise.

So, some funkier New-Wave that could be electro if it weren't from the '80s:

Go dig up Yello's "80-85 The New Mix In One Go" and/or all of their recently remastered reissued first 4 albums:
Solid Pleasure
Claro Qu Si
You Gotta Say Yes To Another Excess
Stella
(#5 and #6, One Second and Flag also received the remaster treatment and are essential, but not as 'electro'.)

Art of Noise:
Daft (Fatboy Slim's secret stash of samples)
InVisible Silence

Blondie's Greatest Hits, or any comp containing 'Rapture' and 'Heart of Glass'.

Eurythmics:
Touch
Sweet Dreams

Yaz/Yazoo:
Upstair At Erics
You And Me Both

Skunk
2007-01-12, 15:29
Electroleum by 7-HURTZ is purely enjoyable, at least side A. I would describe it as soul music for electrons. B is a downtempo-chillout-ambient tangle of confusion that's been covered time+again on cheesy compilations, but this album is worth buying to cherrypick the gems. Not sure if they have anything newer but there is a previous album.

peejay
2007-01-16, 01:55
Where are you from? The Electro scene is much bigger and "matured" outside of the US, particually in Europe.I can recommend some albums/artists which you might be interested in which are excellent but posibly a bit unknown ;

Lemon Jelly
Nightmares on Wax
Hot Chip
Coldcut
Hexstatic
Goldfrapp
Groove Armarda
Mylo
Bent
Mr Scruff
Evil Nine

Of course there is the more classic stuff which you have probably heard off from the likes of;

Leftfield
Massive Attack
Orbital
Avalanches
The Orb
... i could be here for hours actually.

I tend to listen to the more chilled stuff myself these days, might be that some of the stuff i have suggested is a bit chilled for what you might be looking for.

I don't like the term "music for robots" to much though :) A lot of electro is more musically interesing, inteligent and soulful than a lot of the generic rock thats coming off the conveyor belt these days.

PS, Apologies if my assumption that you are from the States in wrong :)

So Autopilot (or anyone else on the thread), if I like Groove Armada's 'Goodbye Country, Hello Nightclub', what else could you suggest - I have that particular album, see that you recommend them, and could do with some more like that. My personal preferences also sway towards smooth jazz and funk. Cheers.

autopilot
2007-01-16, 04:24
So Autopilot (or anyone else on the thread), if I like Groove Armada's 'Goodbye Country, Hello Nightclub', what else could you suggest - I have that particular album, see that you recommend them, and could do with some more like that. My personal preferences also sway towards smooth jazz and funk. Cheers.

I will have a think, but have you tried http://www.last.fm?