PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Network Shares for my Music Folder

goinoutwest
2006-08-27, 19:44
I've got music on 3 servers. I want all of that music to be available to slimserver.

Here's what I've done:
1) I have a windows NT domain. The slimserver service is running as Domain Administrator. (I'll lock it down later).

2) I have set slimserver (running on XP) to use a local folder (on the local C: drive) as the "Music Folder"

3) That music folder contains NO music. It does contain "shortcuts" to the music folders on the OTHER servers. The shortcuts use UNC pathing. For example:

\\server1\music1
\\server2\music2
\\server3\nested1\nested2\music3

Oh yeah, there's also a shortcut to the local "C:\music4" folder in there. That's the only one that slimserver lets me access via the "Browse Music Folder" feature.

Thanks for any help!
Rob

Pale Blue Ego
2006-08-27, 21:36
I'm not sure, but maybe it would help if you mapped those shares to a drive letter on your main slimserver machine.

goinoutwest
2006-08-28, 10:40
I'm not sure, but maybe it would help if you mapped those shares to a drive letter on your main slimserver machine.

UNC paths are the way to go, according to the FAQ:
http://www.slimdevices.com/su_faq.html#troubleshooting-sharedvolume

goinoutwest
2006-08-29, 12:26
I have sent this issue (bug?) to the support email address, as I have not had much response here.

Thanks

JJZolx
2006-08-29, 13:12
I have sent this issue (bug?) to the support email address, as I have not had much response here.
What do the folder, file and share permissions look like at those three remote shares?

goinoutwest
2006-08-29, 15:41
What do the folder, file and share permissions look like at those three remote shares?

I'll double check tonight. But, I have the slimserver service running as domain admin. I myself am logged in as domain admin, and I can reach those same shares just fine.

Therefore, I assume that folder, file and share permissions aren't the problem.

Thanks!

goinoutwest
2006-08-31, 12:32
So, I did some testing last night. I'll try and describe it here:

I have a folder full of these shortcuts:
music1.lnk = \\server1\music1
music2.lnk = \\server2\music2
music3.lnk = \\server3\nested1\nested2\music3
music4.lnk = \\SLIMSERVER\music4
music5.lnk = \\SLIMSERVER\music5

That folder (that contains those shortcuts) is called MY_MUSIC.

I put that folder on a NETWORK share, so it can be accessed via this UNC path:
\\server9999\shared\MY_MUSIC\

SlimServer is running on the server called SLIMSERVER. I set SlimServer to use as it's "Music Folder" the following UNC path:
\\server9999\shared\MY_MUSIC\

On the SlimServer web interface, I click the "Browse Music Folder" button, and all 5 of my shortcuts appear as folders. However, I can only access music on the 2 shortcuts that point to shares that are LOCAL to the SlimServer server. The folders Music1, Music2, and Music3 are inaccessable. When I click them I get a simple page listing their title (as if they were songs).

This test has proven that SlimServer can access at a UNC network share as it's "Music Folder". It also proves that SlimServer can follow shortcuts (even if the shortcuts are in a folder that is accessed via a UNC share). However, SlimServer cannot follow shortcuts that point to UNC shares.....UNLESS those shares are LOCAL to the SlimServer server itself.

Where should I go from here? Am I the only one experiencing this?

Thanks,
Rob