PDA

View Full Version : Slimserver & MusicIP Detecting New Music

jdvmi
2006-08-27, 13:39
First let me say the squeezebox and slimserver rock, after recieving my first squeezebox the very next day I ordered a second unit :)

Here is the trouble I'm having. How do you get Slimserver to recognize new music without having to force it to do a complete re-scan? Right now if I put a new album in my music folder I have MusicIP set up to "watch" my music folder and it picks up the new music just fine. The trouble I'm having is getting Slimserver to see this additional music. Even if I Browse through the squeezebox to try and find the new album it does not find it. Any ideas?

Thanks a bunch!
~Jim

Mark Lanctot
2006-08-27, 15:34
Unfortunately there's no way to do this automatically.

You can do it without a rescan by finding the new stuff through Browse Music Folder. But you won't index any album art this way, if that's important to you.

jdvmi
2006-08-27, 15:38
Thanks Mark,
That stinks, oh well. Unfortunately browsing through the music is not finding my new stuff either. Well, sometimes it will find the album but only a few of the songs will be listed. Very strange. I LOVE MusicIP, but these issues are making me think about ditching it and going with the plain-o-slimserver. Thanks for the help!

~Jim

Mark Lanctot
2006-08-27, 15:42
Whoa, better sort through those issues first. If Browse Music Folder can't find the files, you'll have bizarre results rescanning. Are your tags OK? Best to check with a standalone dedicated tagger like Mp3tag.

I tend to agree that MusicIP seems to complicate things. It seems to be implicated in a lot of posts regarding problems rescanning/reading tags lately.

jdvmi
2006-08-27, 16:09
I use Tag & Rename, and "most" of my 20,000 song library is tagged correctly, but It's always a constant work in progress :) I guess I could always just create Mixes in MusicIP and send them to the squeezebox and then just un-check the "use MusicIP" radio button on slimserver so that my library isn't all funky.

smc2911
2006-08-27, 16:32
There are ways to automate the rescan using a script that connects to the CLI. Have a look at blackbear's post here you'll see a linux example
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=26434
and you should be able to do something similar with a batch file in windows.

jdvmi
2006-08-27, 17:24
There are ways to automate the rescan using a script that connects to the CLI. Have a look at blackbear's post here you'll see a linux example
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=26434
and you should be able to do something similar with a batch file in windows.

Thanks, I will give that a look.

~Jim

[Update] Was just looking at that script and it seems to just be getting playlists from some online service and focing a scan of the playlists. Not exactly what I'm looking for, but a start.

smc2911
2006-08-27, 18:11
Have a look at this too: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=26786 as it could be interest.