PDA

View Full Version : Buffering!?

The_Oni
2006-08-27, 05:28
I have my ports open to my computer...i had 4 diffrent friends from around the country try to connect to my ip... they were able to but they kept saying that it just kept buffering from 0-90% and then repeats the process...so i went to my girlfriends house and tried to connect and the same thing happened....i have music running and everything... help!?

davep
2006-08-27, 07:14
First of all, how are your friends connecting and attemting to play music? What players are they using at their end? What format is the music stored in on your server?

If they are trying to stream high bitrate music across the internet it is likley that this will fail as the player at their end cannot get enough data fast enough to enable playing of a continuous stream. You will need to set up bitrate limiting for the remote players such that the streams get transcoded to a suitable mp3 format prior to sending.

Secondly, having your ports open is a little dangerous as you are enabling access to your slimserver to anybody who can hit your ip address. This would include the neat trick of selecting a suitable song and feeding it to your player (ideally if you have one called "bedroom") at maximum volume at 3am. I would hope you are using some form of security such as ssh.

davep

radish
2006-08-27, 15:35
Also remember that each player has it's own playlist. Slimserver is NOT a broadcast/streaming platform.

The_Oni
2006-08-28, 08:31
I told them to connect with winamp only...it is stored as .mp3 only. and i have nothing above 128kbs. how do i do bitrate limiting?

is there a SSH that you would recommend?

i turn the server off everynight and close the port daily.

i understand that it is not a broadcasting platform...i just really like to listen my music where ever i can...i have about 13 GB of music and they are all in .mp3 format

Mark Lanctot
2006-08-28, 08:50
how do i do bitrate limiting?

Player Settings - Audio - Bitrate Limiting (second last setting). Note you have to have LAME installed to do this, the setting paragraph will tell you whether SlimServer detects this or not.

You also have a quality setting to set just above this. Hint: don't try 0. ;-)

is there a SSH that you would recommend?

PuTTY (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/) seems to be the standard for Windows. It's a client. For a server on Windows, I believe the preferred server is OpenSSH (http://sshwindows.sourceforge.net/).

The_Oni
2006-08-28, 10:41
thanks!!!! that really helped!!!!!!!!! your awesome!!!